Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

HOLY MUSK IMPMAN!

Imp: Nuthin' but musk...

Wet: I'm being to detect a fragrant floral, poppies, no patchouli yet.

Drydown: I probably should have just assumed this but, way too fem for me. We shall see how it smells in an hour, and I may edit, but I doubt it.

Overall: Just handed it to the wifey...

This is mostly musk, very uninteresting to my nose. These are couch potato musks that are just channel surfing--and patchouli has decided to join them. Very bland. I can smell a bit of the poppy, making it a bit sweeter and making it pop (no pun intended), but it just fizzles on my skin. Sigh.

Ah, the patchouli grabs me first in this!

Imp: patchouli sweetened. Lovely. Tomboy/hippy -- Wanna get high and climb trees? I'm tempted to run out an buy a bottle! But, musk is iffy.

Wet: Yep, musk is iffy. :P I smell like someone just dropped the entire men's cologne shelf in K-Mart and I rolled in the puddle. The throw is amazing.

Daughter sez, "Mommy, I can smell you all the way over here and you don't smell nice."

Dry down: Oh, woe is me, but the poppy has lightened the mess out to something soft and warm, but those musks are really just big bullies.

Into the swap pile with this. *sobs*

In The Bottle

Musk with a touch of patchouli

On Application

Sweet musk giving quite a cologney effect

Dry Down

I was expecting this to be really strong musk but it is actually really soft, dry and powdery. Smells of baby powder and doesn't change from there. Pleasant enough.

Rating (0-5)

In the imp: musk, subtle patchouli, poppy

Wet: lots of warm musk, poppy in the background

Dry: The patchouli nestles way down into a skin smell, dry and mild, the musk smooth and softy creamy with a sweet air of poppy. This is very classic and refined in a wispy way. Even after an hour the poppy breezes over the light musks leaving traces of a gentle floral air.

This could easily be worn by both sexes. Very close to the skin.

:P

Hmmm. This is very grown-up, very perfumey smelling. Unfortunately on me the proliferation of white musks changed abruptly to powder.

In the imp: Sweet powder.

On skin: A sweet, slightly cool and powdery scent. After having settled for a minute, a clean but distinctly soapy smell begins to emerge. This puts me in mind of just having gotten out of a refreshing bath in summer. It's weird having that feeling in scent form.

~1 hour: Though the scent still retains a clean feel to it, it is no longer soapy. There's a warm earthiness to the blend, I'm guessing from the patchouli, whilst the musks add a soft, powdery feel to the blend. There's a slightly floral tone to this, but it acts as an accent rather than as part of the main body of the scent.

Pleasant, and very curious when wet, but the drydown is fairly non-descript on me, and not something I can see myself wearing.

So. Pretty.

As I keep trying BPAL oils I find I love musk more and more, and this is no exception. It's very close to the skin and very beautiful - my first thought after sniffing it involved wearing it for a particular gentleman who loves nuzzling my neck. :P This is something I'd love to have for summer nights. I'm going to let it sit for a bit, and see if I need a bottle, but it's a definite possibility. I don't find it too powdery at all.

Can't! Stop! Sneezing!! :P

This one is a no go. Couldn't quit sneezing and then it became "death by flowers" and very department store perfume-y. To the swap pile, you naughty little imp!

It's very perfumey, and hard to tell if I like it or not... I think it would be lovely on my roommate even though it's a bit too sophisticated for me. Or perhaps one of my more grownup alters would enjoy wearing it? Hmm.

In the bottle, a very male, musky scent. Woohoo - I love the male, musky scents.

Wet on the skin, broadcasts a bit of chemical men's cologne smell at first.

As it is drying, I'm still getting that chemically men's cologne smell amping. Uck.

Good staying power, but I still think it smells like Polo.

I tried it a second time because I love me some musk, but again all I get is that chemically cheap men's cologne smell.

Sexy, yet very sophisticated! You can really smell all of the disparate notes, but they come together to make a gorgeous scent. While wet, you can really smells those musks. The patchouli gives it depth, but also a hint of wildness, and that's part of what makes this scent very yum!

The musks burn off a bit and settle down during drydown, which makes me a little sad because it loses some of the excitement. It makes me think of a deep woodsy purple-brown colour. Weird, I know.

The overall smell is rather unisex at first, but as it reaches full drydown it leans towards a hint of cologne.

I can't really think clearly today, so this is all the review this lovely lady gets.

Edited by obsidienne

In the imp- Bright musk.

On skin, wet: Ooh, I like this. It’s mostly a sweet, light musk which does an excellent job of lifting the patchouli in a very attractive way. It’s far more “sweet perfume” than one would expect from a scent with patchouli as a main note.

On skin, dry: This is really lovely. I usually am not a giant fan of patchouli but it’s working for me here. I’m not smelling too much poppy, which is fine because poppy often goes bitter on me. It has the sort of throw I like, as well, meaning that I’m noticing it quite a bit even though I’ve only applied a small amount to the back of each wrist.

I think I’m a fan of white musk (it being a note in some other favourites like Ice Queen).

Verdict: It’s going on my “possible 5ml” wishlist.

This one is a lot more masculine than I expected! I think it's the combination of musk and poppy. It's kinda white and ethereal but mixed up with dirt (thanks patchouli!).

Weird.

In the vial this is a sweet, musky old-lady perfume. On my skin: soap! I never came across the soapiness phenomenon before, so I wonder what note does it; perhaps it's the poppy or perhaps the combination of musks, since white musk is never good on me.

Patchouli? Where? :nervous: Never made an appearance.

This was really masculine and dark on me. It smelled a lot like the darker wood scents. I liked it a lot, but it faded quickly.

I was trying some imps of oils that I thought were a little too sweet and feminine at the same time, and discovered that this layers extremely well with them. So if it's too much by itself, or if you have something lying around that you thought you didn't like, try layering. It really added some extra oomph and darkness. I tried it with verdandi (I think I just accidentally displayed my extreme nerdiness by revealing I'm trying these in alphabetical order), which I'd thought was too appley for my tastes. The two of them together created a scent that still had the light and airy notes of apple and white musk, but was grounded with really awesome, deep patchouli. Trying it with other things has created similar awesome reactions.

So my recommendation is that this is one that really begs for experimentation, because I think I like it as a base for other oils even more than I like it on its own.

In the imp, patchouli, patchouli and oh, yeah...patchouli, with just the tiniest hint of musk up the back. From this, very mens cologne like. Am still willing to try it though.

Wet, I can smell poppy, but in the kind of California Poppy hair stuff my Granddad used to wear. The patchouli is here too, along with a distinctly musky undertone. So far this is VERY masculine.

Dry, this isn't for me. It's still smelling of aftershave on me. Off to swaps.

This is the first white musk blend that I have been able to wear. I think the heavier elements keep it from turning to frat boy cologne.

In imp: light musk

Wet: dusty patchouli

Drying: This is lovely, all patchouli and poppy with the tiniest breath of flowery musk behind it.

Later: It went through an odd phase of smelling like neutral air, like absolutely nothing, as if the components were canceling one another out (maybe that's the chill of the evening star). Now it's a gentle, herbal musk, very close to the skin. Occasionally I'll get a whiff and smile.

This isn't masculine on me. Very mild and unassuming, would probably be excellent in hot weather.

In the imp: Ah, hello, patchouli, my old enemy.

On, wet: Okay, it smells like wearing CKOne in a headshop.

On, dry: A nice, gender neutral smell. It's a very heavy scent, though it doesn't have a great deal of throw on me. It smells a bit like a magazine that has a lot of perfume samples inside.

Sniffing the imp, it's floral patchouli...

On my skin, the poppy & white musk notes do a good job of keeping the patchouli in check. I don't do dirty hippie scents very well so I have to watch blends with patchouli in them, but this blend works. I don't love it enough for a bottle, but it was nice to sample. :)

The Lab's musk notes love me, particularly white musk, so I was excited to try this.

In the imp: Very strong white musk, with a hint of floral and...dirt. Huh. That must be the patchouli, but it usually doesn't smell like dirt to me.

Wet on skin: I never thought I'd say this, but there is apparently such a thing as too much white musk. Wow. Even the patchouli has fled in terror.

Dry on skin: This was quite the morpher. The first hour, the white musk went through a very strong aftershave/hairspray phase. But by the two hour mark, the poppy had emerged to tame the musk into a mellow, springlike blend with just the faintest hint of patchouli for depth.

I loved the final phase and it lasted for more than 10 hours. But getting through the hairspray part was very painful. I'll have to retest this one.

I tried this last night and really liked it. I do always like the heavier or spicier scents. At first it was mostly the musk, with a touch of spice, and a little smokey quality. After it dried it was a really nice spicey, musky, opium smell, with a little touch of clove lingering at the end. Very nice!

I wasn't sure about this one because white musks can be a little cold/astringent on my skin. But the patchouli does a wonderful job of grounding this. The poppy adds a bit of floral spice. It started off a little cologney on my skin, but quickly blossomed and warmed. I really like this one!

Whoa, there's just a bit too much musk in this one for me. It smells nice, but it's not for me, mostly because I don't want to wear that much musk.