Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Cinnamon girl...

For BPAL, my favorite cinnamon (and I'm a cinnamon fanatic!) is All Night Long. It's cinnamon and hot, but with some woodsy background to it that just smells sooo unique. But I've gotta say, when it comes to the ultimate in cinnamon, I stick to Arcana Soaps' Spitfire. It's cinnamon, clove, and dragon's blood: SPICY SPICY SPICY!

I have this strange urge to smell like cinnamon toast. Not quite as sweet as a sugar-coated cinnamon bun, but still sugar and spice and everything nice about weekend breakfasts at gramma's.

My problem: My skin amps cinnamon oil so that it usually overwhelms other notes in a blend. Inferno, Wrath, Sin, Bengal, Love Me = Cinnamon.

Does anyone have a similar amping issue and found a blend that doesn't amp cinnamon quite so much? Maybe I can do a blend of scents.

Anyone have scents that do wind up smelling similar cinnamon toast? I could go for just a toasted spicy scent.

How about Chimera? I get cinnamon toast (and the cinnamon isn't too strong on me), but with a little honeysuckle.... :P

How about Chimera? I get cinnamon toast (and the cinnamon isn't too strong on me), but with a little honeysuckle.... :P

I get the same thing and it's not that strong on me. Double :D

o.k., so I saw your post over an hour ago and raided the imp pile for Bengal and Chimera, so here's a 60-minute-side-by-side comparison.

I totally love Bengal, though I can see how it might go overload to someone who amps cinnamon. Have you ever tried a scent locket? Bengal is more cinnamon toast to me when fresh on the skin and more cinnamon toothpicks once it's dried down a bit. I haven't worn it in awhile and forgot how much I liked it...so thank for propelling me to take a return trip to Bengal!

Chimera on the other hand (my right hand actually) is more cinnamon custard to me than toast - but it is indeed smooth and delightful and the cinnamon is present while being very reserved. This is a scent I hadn't tried yet, so again thanks - I had fun being a Cinnamon Girl tonight! :P

Funny you should mention this... Saw-Scaled Viper smelled a lot like cinnamon toast on me after the ginger died down. It's the only BPAL oil I've ever described as reminding me of cinnamon toast. But the ginger in it at the beginning doesn't smell cinnamon toasty at all.

I'm not crazy about cinnamon in general (it's normally overpowering and sharp on me), but Cockaigne smells exactly like cinnamon toast to me, in that perfect-pastry sort of way. I was just sniffing my two 10 mls of it this morning and swooning :P. It's worth a try if you haven't checked it out yet.

I get cinnamon sticky buns from Morocco, especially when I mix it with a bit of clove bud essential oil.

I second the rec for Cockaigne.

I like cinnamon and the boyfriend likes it a lot too, so I leaned toward those sorts of scents in the beginning. Chimera and Bengal ended up not working for me at all. Cockaigne, on the other hand, is creamy and spicy, but maybe not specifically cinnamon. Very nice though. I like Saw-Scaled Viper a lot too, but it takes a long time for the ginger to mellow out on me (like 1 hour +), but once it does, it's a really soothing, warm, and sweet vanilla-cinnamon. Maybe not toast, but still nice.

Sweet! I knew I could count on you folks to come up with scents I've never tried. :P I'll definitely have to add Cockaigne and Chimera imps to my next order. Maybe I'll pick up some Saw-Scaled Viper to try too, but historically, Snake Oil and I haven't gotten along. Still, I am curious to try all the Snake Pit just to see if there's some blend that will make Snake Oil work on my skin.

Thank you!!!

Hehe, what's wrong with amping cinnamon? :D

Nothing's wrong with it. I'd just like to smell like cinnamon and something else as opposed to just cinnamon.

Maybe I'll pick up some Saw-Scaled Viper to try too, but historically, Snake Oil and I haven't gotten along. Still, I am curious to try all the Snake Pit just to see if there's some blend that will make Snake Oil work on my skin.

I too, struggled with Snake Oil. I actually tried Saw-Scaled Viper first liked it, so I thought I'd like Snake Oil for sure, but nope. I have an imp aging now, just to see if it makes a difference, but really, I got ZERO vanilla out of it.

Saw-Scaled Viper has this really exotic, spicy, warm, sweet-vanilla thing for me after it mellows out. Just gorgeous. But I really had to be patient with it to get there.

Hi!

So, I recently met a girl who really, really likes cinnamon. I read The Cinnamon Thread and found some good info there. Inferno (because it's cinnamon royale) and Umbra (because she likes the middle east) seem like the frontrunners for me at the mo'.

My question is--are there any recommendations based on season? Obviously go lighter in summer, headier in winter, but beyond that I'm clueless--for instance, I don't know which scents are lighter and so on.

Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated. I'll bake you invisible cookies.

Chimera is my favorite cinnamon blend, and I'd recommend it as a lighter, summery cinnamon.

Chimera - The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Although the description sounds kind of heavy, when I tried Chimera it was more of a sweet, lightly floral cinnamon.

Chimera is my favorite cinnamon blend, and I'd recommend it as a lighter, summery cinnamon.

Chimera - The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Although the description sounds kind of heavy, when I tried Chimera it was more of a sweet, lightly floral cinnamon.

I second Chimera! It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title... I wore it yesterday, so I would definitely say that it is a summer-compatible cinnamon.

I like Bengal for a more wintery cinnamon, to me it's like spicy cinnamon buns! Mmm!

I like Silk Road and Harlot for cinnamon in the summer - Silk Road is sweet and spicy but light and (I think) damn sexy. Harlot is cinnamon with roses. Chimera has been mentioned as a summery cinnamon blend, but it's also strong and foody enough for cold weather.

And Satyr is good for the spring, I think. It smells like a forest god in hot pursuit of his mate. 'kay, scratch spring and make it fall. That's when the deer are getting it on.

I second Silk Road for a summery cinnamon scent. Its light and grassy, but spicy at the same time. Chimera is pretty heavy/sweet on me, so I tend to go more towards winter with that one.

I would class Chimera as a winter one too, because on me it's got a sticky syrupy quality to it, especially for the first hour or so. Mind you I love this so much I wear it in summer anyway! I tend to classify scents into certain seasons - and then promptly pay no attention.

I also agree with Silk Road as a summery one. I prefer Sri Lanka in autumn/winter, it's a dry incensey cinnamon. Sin is definitely winter with it's cinnamon and patchouli. Even I find it hard to wear in summer!

Yup I agree that Harlot is a really good summer cinnamon blend.

(Hand of Hermes would be a lovely summer scent too (cinnamon-lavender) - but it's intended for ritual use only.)

Anyone suggested Ahathoor for summer yet? It's not really a STRONG cinnamon note, but it's distinct to my nose, and it's a very summery scent - it smells just like the summer sun.

Sin is delicious for winter.

Sin is delicious for winter.

I agree, although I'm wearing it right now and it's 90 degrees........indoors! All I can say is, we're all sweating, but I smell the best!

I was afraid Sin wouldn't get any love, but yes Sin is a great Fall/Winter scent. It's musky Cinnamon sex!

I love layering Bengal with summery scents - I have to layer Bengal no matter what time of the year it is because the cinnamon & pepper in it give me little burnie marks. But would that stop me from actually wearing it - hell no! Devoted BPAL addict, or competely insane?

Anyway, Bengal is sublime with Sudha Segara. And I just discovered a new Bengal companion that makes me drool and speak gibberish: Dorian and Bengal. :P It's like honeyed cinnamon vanilla sugar cookies with lemony tea.

I also love Inferno, which I have to dilute and then layer over something else! Anything that's got lots of honey, citrus, vanilla, tea, or amber seems like a good companion for those hardcore cinnamon scents - lightening them up for summer and diluting the spice for my fragile skin.

For summer scents without any additional alchemy at home, Bakeneko has a bit of cinnamon but to me, is light enough for hot weather because of the tangerine & tea. Uruk has a nice hit of spice even though it's paired up with some lighter notes (it contains bitter almond, night-blooming jasmine, saffron, cinnamon leaf, red patchouli, river lilies, bergamot, fig leaf and incense).

And I am completely behind the recommendations of Chimera and Silk Road! Silk Road actually reminds me of a lighter version of Snake Oil, I remember noting that in my review of it when I first tried it. Chimera is a really light sunny scent on me - I've often thought that people seem to fall in two camps, Chimera or Eclipse, where one smells fabulous on you and the other one reeks. Eclipse hates me.

I apologize for not replying sooner. cat caught on fire.

anyway! thank you so much for the recommendations. choosing 4 for a full order seems more difficult, but narrowing it down to 6 imps should not be a problem at all.

if there are any further recommendations or tips, by all means, let me know.