Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
harlequin

Chaos Theory II : The Butterfly Effect

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

Chaos Theory CDLXV (465)

Origin:

Sniffy from Quimerula for review purposes. :D

First sniff:

Lemon...I'm not sure if it's lemongrass, lemon balm or lemon verbena, but I'm leaning toward lemongrass right now. I'm thinking there could be anise in here, too, but I may be imagining it.

Wet on skin:

Now I smell something similar to a combination of lemon and horehound...I'm almost positive there's anise in here. Not much, but enough to give this an herbal/sweet kind of vibe to it.

Dry down:

All the herbal/anise bits are gone and I get nothing but lemongrass (I'm almost positive it's lemongrass and not lemon balm or lemon verbena.) Lemon's one of the notes my skin amps up, so there could be more to this that's getting drowned out on my skin, but lemon's all I can smell.

The bottom line:

Not a big fan of lemon, personally, so it's not for me, but I always enjoy trying the Chaos blends. :P

Previously reviewed by Quimerula

Chaos Theory DCLVI (656)

Origin:

Sniffy from quimerula for review purposes. :D

First sniff:

Initially, I thought this smelled like apple, but now I'm not sure that's right. It could be...smells a bit like macintosh apples, but I've got a nagging feeling that's wrong. There's not much oil in the vial and I'm having trouble getting a good sniff here. This smells almost effervescent somehow...like champagne. This is an odd one.

Wet on skin:

I'm still getting a bit of a macintosh vibe from this, but it's changing almost immediately. There's definitely something fruity about this, but I don't think fruit is the main component here. It's sweet, too, almost sugary. I'm having a really hard time pinning this one down for some reason.

Dry down:

Sweet, sugary and a tiny bit apple-like. I'm still not sure what's in here, to be honest. It's got a certain appleyness (making up words again, sorry) to it, but I just feel like it's not apple...maybe it's red relicious apple, that could explain my confusion since red delicious apples have never smelled particularly appley to me.

The bottom line:

Confusing. I keep waffling over this one. Not sure if I like it or not.

Previously reviewed by Quimerula and Galen.

Chaos Theory DCLXXIX (679)

Origin:

Sniffy from Quimerula for review purposes. :D

First sniff:

This is a tough one. The only real impression I get is that this reminds me of a caramel apple candle I smelled recently. It didn't really smell like a caramel apple somehow, but that smell (the not quite caramel apple) is what I get from DCLXXIX.

Wet on skin:

Still smells a bit caramel-like to me. A little sweet, a little sticky smelling and a tiny bit vanilla-like. I keep thinking I smell like a candle wearing this, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dry down:

Pretty much the same as when it was wet. Caramel/vanilla-like with maybe a bit of apple. I love caramel apples and even though I generally avoid foody scents, I always figured I might like to smell like caramel apples, but I'm not so sure it's working for me.

The bottom line:

A bit too foody for my tastes, but nice enough. It'd probably make a nice room scent, though.

Caveat:

For some reason, my skin tends to make certain notes smell like caramel, so I can't say for sure that there is a caramel note in here...could be something else that's getting turned into caramel on me.

Previously reviewed by Quimerula and Galen.

From the CT2 Swap Circle:

CVIII - This is a very cool bluish/greenish oil in imp. Wet, it smells like forest greens. Dry, it turns into herbs (maybe rosemary?) and some kind of mint. Previously reviewed by amrita and OriginalWacky

CCLIII - Floral, rose with something sweet underneath. Much more floral than sweet. Previously reviewed by Penance, sarada, and OriginalWacky

CCLXVIII - Spearmint and spice. This one is downright edible! Previously reviewed by Original Wacky

CX - Wet, this smells like a dark floral, with herbs backing it up. On drydown, it smells like dried herbs. Previously reviewed by OriginalWacky and Imbrium

CCXCVIII - Wet, this is confounding. A bit herbal with something incensey sweet. Dry, I get sweetened herbs with a bit of smoke. Previously reviewed by OriginalWacky

CLVI - Wet, it reminded me of nothing so much as blue toilet cleaner. The drydown, however, is much nicer - an aquatic with a very subtle mint. Very clean. Previously reviewed by OriginalWacky and Gin

XXXVI - This is the only one I tested based on reviews rather than just randomly. It's like fruit moon sugared with vanilla. Gorgeous. When I first put it on, I wrote down "cream soda suckers" because it really does remind me of hard candy. I have a friend who always makes rock candy in all different flavors at Christmas time and this scent smells a lot like how his candy smells the moment after you open the jar and the wonderful scent of sweets comes rushing out. Really wonderful. Previously reviewed by OriginalWacky, darkling, sihaya09, joseybird, and olympia301

Edited by elphaba

Chaos Theory CXXXVI, thanks to Northernminx!

In the bottle: It takes a few sniffs, but I finally identify the main note I'm smelling as spearmint. It's backed up by a faint trace of cinnamon or cardamom or both, and a buttery warm note as well.

On, wet: It's more buttery now, with the spearmint adding a fresh top note.

Drydown: Still minty, but the spicy aspects of it are more noticeable.

After several tests, I'm still not sure what to make of this! It's a lovely scent, but it's very strange on. However, it does feel very seasonal, with the mint-and-spice combination and it being near Christmas and all. I'll keep it, though; at the very least, it has a fine future as a room scent for the holidays.

purchased an imp orf DCLXXV from the lj forum. Sadly, this turns straight to copper on me, but I'll do the best I can with it anyway.

in the bottle: floral and sweet, with something almost... earthy? herby? grounding it faintly in the backround.

on me: i feel the way about this that i do about Frost Moon, and actually many of the lunar blends. there's something chilly, there, underneath everything else, but it's an assertive chilly. Mostly this reminds me a lot of Frost Moon, and heck if i can pick things out individually. There's some strawberry in there, and somethign almost bathroom-potporri-esque... sweet and faintly spicy, all at once.

Ugh. and now it's that metallic copper on me again. I'm sorry, I tried, it's going up for sale now, hopefully someone that loves this sort've stuff will give it a good home.

(Previously reviewed by chopchica.)

DXVI: it's what clean hair is supposed to smell like. i'm getting a milky sort of pinapple/coconut vibe, with a little bit of green in the back.

(Last reviewed by laochodia.)

Edited by Shollin

I picked up DXLVII from the lj forum.

In th bottle, it's eucalyptus/herbal with a strong coconut smell...at least to my slightly congested head, and to my sniffy-impaired hubby.

I've worn it twice, and it's the same - stongly herbal - with a minty-eucalyptus quality wet, and as it dries, it's a sweet, toasty coconut, kind of like macaroons.

I really like it, surprisingly. It's more "perfume-y" than the other oils I've tried, but not in a bad way, just in the way that I'm wearing a scent, rather than something that feels more natural.

Hubby says I smell nice when I wear it, so I'll keep it, I think. I'm looking forward to being able to be a little more discerning if/when my sinuses decide to start behaving again.

Cuervo's installment #1 of the CT2 swap:

Thanks to Original Wacky for doing all the organizational work! And my apologies to readers...I’m having a hard time with the codes in the browser I’m using, so including links to earlier reviews just didn’t work for me.

The first trio: All of these first three are the same color, a pale straw color that I think of as the standard BPAL color--but Iove it when the perfumes are a different color!

LXXXIV

In the bottle: light floral....white floral like honeysuckle possibly.

On the skin: Yes, a floral note, and I don’t know what it is, but honeysuckle or some such seems like a good guess. I don’t think it is jasmine. After a moment it turns a bit creamier but still floral, could have a very light rose in there too, I suppose. Something green, but creamy green.

Final thoughts: After a bit, the strongest floral topnotes disappear and I’m left with a nice green floral....sort of like being in a florist shop...no scratch that...like being in a greenhouse where something tropical is blooming maybe one room over. Reminds me of a catalog scent but I can’t think of which one. After a bit it turns a herbal. Nice enough for a floral mix.

(Last reviewed by OriginalWacky.)

CCCXXVII:

In the Bottle: Wow! Very different than the one above, and I have absolutely no idea what it smells like. Its odd...I’d call the scent musky, but not like any musk I’ve smelled....but I’d still describe it as a musty musk odor. Somewhat animalistic.

On the Skin: I’m bafffled. I’m going to have to go and look through reviews and see if I can find this one, because I have no idea. I don’t much like it, though. If I’d had to guess I’d say a flower that has a musky scent? Like Narcissus maybe? There’s also a wierdly familiar note that reminds me of something that had been cooked a couple of days ago but is still lingering the hallway....like a not delicious smelling curry. Sorry I’m so vague but this one is wierd.

Final thoughts: Glad I didn’t get a bottle of this one! though when I went back and read Elphaba’s review, I can agree on the coconut, though its faint for me. That’s what gives it the odd curry scent. But it does end up having an interesting woody note....

LXIV

in the bottle: whew! that’ s sharp and cleans my nose out nicely after the wierd floral of the last one! Eucalyptus? Maybe not quite, but its sharper than pine. Very astringent, very green.

On the skin: Oh, I like this! My skin sucked it up very quickly, but what I get is a sharp pine with perhaps another white floral. (or have those wierd white florals just got stuck in my nostrils?) No, definately a floral, and that sharp green is fading fast. Perhaps I don’t enjoy it so much. This is virtually disappearing as I type, though, and I note this imp has way less in it than the others, which makes me suspect I’m not the only one that finds it quick to flee.

Final Thoughts: Very bright green note, which could be a spruce or pine, but also reminds me of the sharp green of alecto. It is more green than floral. Nice enough. Finally ends up on me like a cross between alecto and a creamy floral blend.

Trio Two: oooh! Two of these are bright green! How fun! Now I hope my nose will last...I’m sniffing coffee beans in between, but......

DXVI

In the bottle: oh! Its a lovely blue green! Kind of the color of Scope mouthwash! And yikes! Minty freshness! Spearmint for sure. And with a touch of cream? Like a spearmint flavored buttermint! Yum! I want to eat it!

on the skin: creamy sweet mint! How lovely! Hasn’t changed much from the bottle.

final thoughts: Delicious! Doesn’t change much, but how lovely it is! Has a lot of throw too. If it was mine, I probably wouldn’t wear it much though, because it smells like candy!

(Last reviewed by stiricide.)

CCXCVIII

In the bottle: Pale straw colored. Scent--fruit! Tropical fruit? Not banana, but something sort of banana-y, apple-y.

On the skin: Oh! How lovely! No more fruit. Smells like fresh straw and flowers with something that is not fruit but has a fruitiness to it--maybe a slight booziness? Like a fruity white wine? Smells like a picnic in late summer in golden fields...

Final Thoughts: It fades fast, and it does get more perfumey as I wear it. Still, its quite lovely! this is the first Chaos theory ever I’ve really liked.

(Last reviewed by elphaba.)

CVIII

In the Bottle: Very pretty bright green in color! Very sharp pine. I almost want to say eucalyptus, but I think its just a sharp pine. very astringent with an almost peppery note in it.

On the Skin: wow! could it be pine AND eucalyptus? Because its that green, that sharp. Yep, that’s what I’m getting. Mostly the lovely strong pine of say, Skadi, but under that is a very sharp note of menthol that seems like eucalyptus...kind of like vicks vaporrub, you know? But in a pine forest. And there’s an odd peppery/herbal note there too.

Final Thoughts: Uh. At first I gave this a big no, but after a bit that sharpness fades and its pure piney goodness--reminiscent of my beloved Skadi. So yes, I like!

Last trio for tonight--sniff those coffee beans--ok, here I go:

CCXX

in the bottle: Oh, I know what that is! Nope, lost it. Starts like a fruit, then floral, then soapy? Smells familiar, but....

on the skin: Slightly boozy? What IS this?. Ok, now its getting golden, resiny. Wacky suggested amber and it could be....but its also got something in it that gives it a slightly boozy/fruity note...It really reminds me of something..... It could be amber with a golden scented flower. There’s something woody in it too. Its driving me crazy because I know what this is, but can’t quite get it. I don’t know: I want to say honey and amber gilded lilies, but it doesn’t really smell like lilies...it just makes me think of that. I’d name it gilded lily if it were mine :P

final thoughts: Ok, another I like. amber and musk maybe? And this one is stronger and doesn’t fade that fast. I’d have probably kept the bottle if this was mine.....Its gorgeous. I wish it was available as a catalogue blend! OMFG! It turns to samhain! I LOVE this one!

CCLXXIV

in the bottle: woody and sharp in scent, golden in color. Wood and menthol (ie. eucalyptus? Or am I just getting stuck on the same notes?)

on the skin: Sharp wood.....reminds me of one of the Tarot blends but my nose is starting to fail me...Oh, I’m useless. Sweet and slightly floral, reminds me very much of something but I can’t get it. Wait, rose maybe. Something golden with it. Amber?

final thoughts: It may just be I’ve tried too many today, but its just a generic golden rose blend. Turns kind herbally green, though.

(Last reviewed by Penance.)

Last one to sniff; here I go! And the line of notes goes down real slow.....(sorry, I’ve been listening to classic rock)

CCCLXXXII

in the bottle: golden green fruit with a bit of something...fresh.

on the skin: I think my nose is out of commission for the evening. I’m not getting much. A fresh slightly apple-ish scent? Also familiar, but I can’t place it. Imagine sun-warmed grass and sun-warmed laundry.

final thoughts: Can’t really say any more than that, my sniffer being out of it for the evening.

Ok, tomorrow I’ll get to the rest in the package. This was fun, if challenging, and I can see I’m actually not at all good at picking out notes...and I thought I was!

Also, interesting for me to note that out of all of these, I’d only buy one: CCXX which rocks!

Edited by Shollin

Installment #2 of the CT2 swap:

CCLXVIII

in the bottle: butter? sweet buttery candy with something slightly herbal.

on the skin: is that herbal note mint? Maybe, but not a terribly sweet mint if so--peppermint? With something else--another herb that I should be able to place and can’t. But it is soft and lovely--think peppermint with a creamy soft floral.

final thoughts: This is quite nice. the strong initial notes blend into something that is sweet and very slightly minty, with a nice creamy floral too. There may be honey in this or just a tiny touch of vanilla. In other words after it settles down, I don’t identify individual notes, but it it is soft and lovely. And vanilla--yes. Now it is settling into a sort of snake oil vibe, so it must be vanilla.

LXXIX:

in the bottle: Mmmm.....Wood. Sweet woody note.

on the skin: Wood with a sweet floral I absolutely know but am having problems identifying. Neroli maybe? yes, I think so, and the neroli is overwhelming the wood at the moment. In fact, that’s now all I get. I think I better go sniff some neroli single note though, to see if I’m correct.

final thoughts: Neroli for sure...I just compared them. That’s about all I get in the end....whatever the wood was...a light sandalwood perhaps? has vanished. At the end something a bit bitter starts coming out--could be myrrh.

(Last reviewed by shelldoo.)

CCXCIX:

in the bottle: hmm...this one is hard. Sweet oily note. I should recognize that sweetness but can’t quite. The oil is gold, so its not dragon’s blood.

On the skin: on, its clear that the sweetness is floral, but it is very very sweet, almost cloyingly so. I did check WickedGoddess’ review of this, and I agree with gardenia as a possible scent, though later she changed her opinion to apple blossom, and I can see that too. Whatever--it is LIKE gardenia--ie. very very sweet floral. I don’t get a lot of booziness from this yet, but there is something golden and full that adds complexity to this and tones down the excessive sweetness.

final thoughts: On me, this one fades fairly quickly, and leaves only a bit of residual sweetness. I’d go with a fruit blossom note here instead of the gardenia, actually, because the note has that sweetness, but I tend to think of gardenia as having just a bit of muskiness in the sweetness which this is lacking. It ends as a sweet golden floral on me, and while its ok, I like CCLXVIII much more.

CCCXCV

in the bottle: this is a very clear oil--just a hint of gold color. Sniff: ooooh! Fruit candy.

on the skin: oooh! I kind of want to eat it! What is that note? Fruity but a watery candy fruit. Not quite watermelon. Mango? With an aquatic note? Reminds me of Yemaya a bit, though Yemaya’s fruit scent is more watery. It smells like the color or papaya. Oh, its gorgeous--now there is a strong tropical flower note coming out too! It is very strong--a very strong floral coupled with the undernote of fruit.

final thoughts: Its not to my usual taste, but is quite lovely. I looked up quikslvr’s review and I agree that this is a very white scent, and while I’ve never smelled water lily, I see the comparison--because it is white with an aquatic note--almost soapy but not, and with that fruit underneath. Very sophisticated, and more like commercial perfume than many other BPAL scents, but not in a bad way. It fades very quickly on me.

CX

in the bottle: rich gold color, and it opens with a slightly bitter floral note. Neroli again? Or does my nose just get stuck on notes once I smell them?

on the skin: Not neroli. A very sweet white flower with what I think is a hint of incense in the background. Could be jasmine, though it is slightly different than the regular BPAL jasmine note. Its not a strong oil, and I’m not getting a lot else. this is totally at odds with the other reviews, btw, but that’s what I’m getting.

final thoughts: Ok, I was wrong about it not being strong. While up close I don’t get a lot, from a distance it has a lot of throw, and all its saying is jasmine, jasmine, jasmine! It smells just like the Red flower Indian Jasmine body lotion I just got, and also is nearly identical to the Caswell-Massey’s jasmine single note. Finally it takes on a bit of incense as jasmine sometimes does, and now I’m getting just a hint of the herbal/astringent notes other people noted. Jasmine is the only floral I reliably enjoy, and overall, I LOVE THIS! Doesn’t last long on me though.

XXXVI

in the bottle: This oil is almost clear. It has a sweet almost playdoh like note I remember from sugar cookie.

on the skin: Its strong! I can smell it even though with my arm down. And forgive me, but its weird. No more playdoh, but I don’t know what it is. Something like an artificial fruit note? Like a candy flavor that has no relation to the fruit it’s named after? Banana maybe? No, now it reminds me of powder and that bubble-gum scented Novocain they use at the dentist. Wait! Pineapple! Olympia301 suggested that in her review and I agree.

final thoughts: Luckily, the dental scent fades quickly, but overall it is an odd fruit with just a bit of a crystalline note. Some other reviewers have suggested white musk, and I could see that as being a note. It does go powdery, which musk often does for me. Overall it is like a pineapple cake or candy with a bit of white musk to add a powdery perfumy scent to it. Not bad, if not me. After a bit six hours, though, it is only a lovely baked vanilla note that is nice.

CCLIII

in the bottle: color: bright gold. Scent: floral.

on the skin: Huh. Still floral, and not one I’m able to identify. Ok, I cheated and looked at previous reviews, and they say rose, and I suppose it could be, but it doesn’t scream “rose” to me....something else in the blend disguises it a bit. But overall, this does scream floral.

final thoughts: Not me, though the rose does fade and it becomes green and herbal.

(Last reviewed by diabolique.)

CLVI

in the bottle: green soap?

on the skin: first just soap....is it lavender? Then it becomes creamy green, with a soapiness. When I read the Gin’s review, she noted a creamy mintiness, and while I don’t necessarily get the mint, there is a creaminess to it.

final thoughts: Ok, I’m going to have to admit I lost track of this one...it faded fast, and I couldn’t distinguish it from the remnants of my earlier scent testing.

CCCIV

in the bottle: sharp green--rosemary? sage?--with something else, slightly spicy.

on the skin: This is an herbal green. It’s not lavender...not mint...It’s very familiar though. I think it has amber in it. And a slightly citrusy note too. My god, I have no clue what this is! I’m not getting a sarsaparilla note though there is something slightly creamy about it.

final thoughts: This one is hard. I feel like there is amber in it to give it a golden, slightly resiny, slightly powdery fixative edge. there is also a fruity note to it. And then something herbal...maybe rosemary or sage. But It blends together to become a full golden scent with a slight berry note to it. But no clue overall.

My overall thoughts on my Chaos Theory 2 sniffathon? I was delighted to try all these and try a figure out individual notes, which I’m obviously bad at, even with a cabinet full of single note essential oils to fall back on. So it was fun, and made me want to experiment again with my aromatherapy kit.

But I only lusted after couple of these blends--most I was either indifferent to, or didn’t like at all, and so this reinforces my not so successful CT2 forays with the ones I bought/swapped for. If it comes up again this summer, I think I’ll skip it.

Edited by Shollin

I got three decants in a swap from OriginalWacky. Whee!

CCCLXXXII (last reviewed by cuervosueno)

First sniff: Ooh, hey. This is nice. It’s a guy fragrance… maybe lavender and white musk, with a little bit of green, even green tea? Very understated and… blast, I can’t use “elegant” to refer to a guy scent, but that’s the only word I can think of.

Wearing: I think there’s a bit of lime in here too, maybe – a hint of citrus that isn’t at all sweet. I really like this.

CCCLXXXVIII (last reviewed by sarada)

First sniff: Dead leaves and woodsmoke. It hovers just this side of being sharp, and though it’s not exactly my kind of scent, it’s intriguing as all hell and I’m very curious to see what it smells like on me.

Wearing: Wet incense just at first, but it quickly morphed into something warm and dark and sweet and so very, very familiar. Another winner.

DXVI (last reviewed by cuervosueno)

First, I must mention that this oil is BLUE!!! Gorgeous pale aqua blue. I’ve never seen another blue oil and I’m thrilled. :P Also, this is number 516… and it’s still not the highest number I’ve seen (unless I’m missing something, one of coulrophobe’s oils wins that prize for being number 680). Craziness. A very good year for ze Chaos.

First sniff: Oh, sweet lady of lavender heaven. And something a bit sweet hanging around the edges, which is just gorgeous. I’ll be sure to try this one on before bed.

Wearing: I have a lavender-vanilla lotion that smells very similar to this. It’s a sharp herbal lavender right at first, then swallowed up in warm rich sweetness. Just amazing.

Yay Chaos!

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory D

I got this in a swap, but I can't remember who I received this from.

Eek! Lavender. Lots and lots of lavender, floating in a humid haze. After an hour, the lotus comes out, lavender calms down, and there are water flowers floating in the water. This reminds me a bit of Pisces in the blue-green watery quality this scent has.

Previously reviewed by OriginalWacky and sarada.

chaostheoryxi.jpg

Pretty greenish, ozoney, and aquatic. Chaos Theory XI is very much like the one I got originally without the grassy notes. This is a shifting and purposefully indestinct blend which leaves you guessing as to what the heck it is. XI seems to go out of its way to avoid classification and keep you saying, "I wonder what this is?"

(Previously reviewed by zenvodunista.)

Edited by Shollin

CDLXXXVI

This reminds me a lot of something between Strawberry Moon & Bordello. It is very juicy, wet, bright fruits at first... strawberry, pomegranite, or possibly plum. Something red, I think. They are sweet sweet sweet with just a touch of tartness to them.

After a while, the intensity fades a little and becomes a bit more creamy (which is why it reminds me a lot of Strawberry Moon). It's a little more rounded out now and while it is still sweet, it is now kind of sultry. This is a Bordello-ish scent.

I think this is my favorite out of my Chaos Theory oils!

(Last reviewed by Nachtwulf.)

Edited by Shollin

CCV II

Coconut and rum! There's a slight floral and a little musk in it, but this is GLORIOUS. I'm getting maybe some white florals? The coconut just goes marvelously creamy!

(Last reviewed by LiberAmoris.)

Edited by Shollin

CCCLXXVII

I got this from someone on the LJ forum - she was afraid it had jasmine in it, so didn't even try it.

In the bottle, I can totally see why she'd think that - it's strongly floral, with a sweet scent that I'm pretty sure is jasmine.

Wet, the florals are very strong - jasmine and at least two more florals, though I couldn't say for sure what they are. All are sweet smelling, though.

Dry, other scents are coming out - there's some musk in this - I think it's white musk, though I'm not well schooled in musk scents, so it could be a different one. It's definitely not a dark musk, though. I *think* there's also the faintest hint of some sort of incense - I can't say which, though. It might just be my imagination, too.

Overall, this scent actually reminds me a little of Mi-Go Brain Canister. It smells similar on my skin, though overall less sweet and with florals instead of fruit. It's a very nice scent, I just wish I was better at figuring out what was in it!

Edited by Kiena

I have to break up the Chaos II circle reviews into two sets. Damn - there are lots of oils and thanks to OriginalWacky for organizing this!

In no particular order...

CCCXC

It reminds me very much of Sugar Skull 2005 but a bit fruitier. Stays pretty true, sweet, sugary, slightly fruity. In the vial it’s more fruity but then sweetens up and carmalizes as it melds with the skin. Delicious! And long lasting too. Great Chaos blend!

OriginalWacky's review , sarada's review

XXXVII

Green, fresh, slightly floral. When I first smelled it, it reminded me of fresh green moist moss, slightly sweet. As it wears on, it sweetens up considerably and delicate white florals come out. Very nice….innocent, sweet, young come to mind.

OriginalWacky's review

CXX

In the vial, slightly herbal, but then it sweetens upon the skin and florals come out. I think that roses are back there among the flowers and there’s a hint of sassfrass.

OriginalWacky's review, sarada's review , roesmoker's review

D

In the vial, predominately lavendar. Bluish, greenish, light almost robin egg colored oil – beautiful! As it dries, this remains strongly lavendar but it’s tempered by something else. It gets fruity as it wears, so maybe lotus? Good combination.

CCCXVII

In the imp – mint. On the skin: Minty! Is that spearmint? Edible smelling – makes me want to eat it up (doesn’t help that I haven’t had lunch yet). Sort of spicy, maybe a hint of cinnamon back there. Fantastic!! There may be a hint of cucumber back there. Great drydown, the cinnamon mellows out a bit but the oil remains spicy, minty, creamy. Very nice!

OriginalWacky's review, sarada's review, Imbrium's review

LXXVII

Reminds me of Blood Moon, musky, with cinnamon or cassia. But I think a bit sweeter than Blood Moon. I think there’s red sandalwood in there. There could be just a touch of sassfrass in there but just a drop. It adds just a bit more spicy warmth. I don’t want to try any more oils, just bask in the spicy goodness of this on my wrist…

This is one of my favorite chaos theories out there – this is amazing!

OriginalWacky's review, sarada's review, yeahbutnobut'S review, sihaya09's review, lachodia's review, olympia301's review, shelldoo's review

CCLIX

Gardenia I think and maybe a touch of mint. As I wear it the gardenia (?) fades and melds into the background. It becomes kinda fruity, I have a hard time describing these kindof scents. If I had to do a description, I would say some kind of white or tropical flowers and something fruity, so maybe there’s lotus in here too.

more to come....weeee - this is fun!

Chaos Theory CCXIV

Got this in a swap. I don't think this has been reviewed yet. (Just once, by mmcfa2. --Shollin)

This starts out being juicy coconut. :P Then, the coconut fades and this turns out to be slightly floral, mostly gardenia. After the gardenia comes the white musk stage, which is followed by the honey and musk stage. Finally, after ten hours, this now smells vaguely of Snake Oil--after it's been aged and has been on your skin for several months, so all you have left is the skin scent and not the spices. Perhaps red musk? It's incredible how this scent goes through so many changes.

Edited by Shollin

This is the 2nd batch of the Chaos II decant circle organized by OW. It's long since left my hands but it's just taken me a long time to get this posted.

Again, in no particular order...

DCLI

Initial impression: Pink! Strawberry! Sweetness! After about 5 seconds on my skin, it deepens and I get red fruit, berries. It gets spicy but remains fruity/berryish. Maybe a touch of cinnamon/cassia in there to spice it up. Great drydown! This is another goodie! (andrabell's review)

CDXVI

Fruity, slightly floral. I have a hard time identifying notes in this one. Not really my style but nice. I just can’t describe the notes in this one. (sarada's review)

CCCLXXXVIII

Reminds me quite a bit of Queen of Clubs upon first application, loam, earth, fig.

Damn – this is really similar to QoC! I think that it’s more floral though. (Shollin's review)

VIII

This reminds of another Chaos in this batch. There could be a touch of sassfrass in here. Maybe a touch of mint or pennyroyal. Some kinda floral, maybe gardenia? This is a strong, bracing scent. (OriginalWacky's review)

XXV

One of my contributions to the circle – My first review

2nd review: this seems to have mellowed a bit since I first reviewed it. Its softer now and the vicks cherry cough drop accord is not nearly as present as it was a few months ago. (sarada's review)

L

Initially, this oil is light, herbal, with maybe a touch of lemon. Light, springy florals. It is very very fresh smelling. There’s something minty about this blend, it comes out as it dries. During the drydown, it remains a light, fresh blend, the mint gives it a bit of kick. Very nice! (sarada's review)

DXLVIII

Wow this is really different! Strong smelling, a bit medicinal. It’s a light blue colored oil – very pretty color! Minty, and quite herbal. I smell lavendar. It’s very fresh and energizing. It makes my wrist tingle. Long lasting and it remains herbal as it wears. (sarada's review)

CCCLXX

A bit aquatic, light, floral, maybe pear? These are notes that I’m not too familiar with – light, clean smelling, this would be easy to wear to the office. There could be some oakmoss in here. (sarada's review)

CXCIII

In the bag – smelled a bit like sassfrass. On the skin: Minty, - I think spearmint. Nice. (sarada's review)

Closing thoughts - this was an olfactory rollercoaster and good learning experience to get to test all these difference scents. Decant circles are sooo fun!

Edited by Shollin

CHAOS THEORY II The Butterfly Effect CCXXV: No description

In Bottle: Spicy soap

On Skin: Instantly I get a bit of an ozone note and also something slightly spicy. Cinnamon? The warmness of the cinnamon and the coolness of the ozone is a very interesting pairing. The ozone gives it a more masculine feel at first. I searched the Forum reviews and couldn’t find a review of this one. Was it mislabeled? Not sure… Anyway, after about 15 minutes is starts sweetening up a bit and there is something I can’t quite place my finger on… I wish there were more reviews of it so I could compare with others. I’m thinking there is a slight floral, nothing overwhelming, but a bit aquatic and that’s what’s causing the ozone note. Very pretty.

DCXLII -

There is a lot of sweet fruit in this one. It started out smelling questionable. I didn't think I'd like it. But once it dried, it turned out really nice. It's very juicy and fun.

(Previously reviewed by Digital_Hypoxia.)

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory CLVIII

I don't think this has been reviewed yet. This was received from a swap.

This starts out smelling of lavender or something like it, that I don't really like. If it's lavender, it's not one of those lavenders that end up being very humid and hot smelling, but the sweeter variety. After an hour, it starts to smell a bit fruity--perhaps berries? The white musk comes out a short while after. After three hours, it starts to smell like dry musk, with dried herbs and berries (sort of like potpourri). Six hours later, it smells like spicy incense, sort of like a cross between church incense and the Snake Oil spices.

Chaos Theory DLI

I've been remiss in not reviewing this before -- I got it from pkwench who got it from someone and, ya know, methinks I'll keep it. Much precious, yes, yes...

The first smack of this one is eucalyptus and lavender, very aniseptic smelling for quite a while. Then a warm hay and grass blanket descends over all of it and the herbs float away... And then, BOOM, pina colada. Pineapple, coconut, coconut husk -- ohhhhhh... *bliss* It ends up drying down and smelling like eating a fruit salad outside in a field of prairie grasses. For some reason, it's very comforting and manages to work with my chemistry. Yay!

Previously reviewed by Eros.

Reposting:

Butterfly Effect LXI

First sniff: Like mine, this Butterfly Effect has a bit of a hard-fruit-candy feel to it. It’s warm and fruity, but at the same time, hard-edged and almost hollow.

Wearing: The strongest note is lemony-limey-citrusy, but there’s warm spice underneath, and the hollowness is gone – it’s deeper now. It smells a bit like lemon-spice tea.

Previously reviewed by Brianne.

LXVIII - a repost

In the bottle - very pink, fruity sweet smelling with a sharp edge

Wet on skin - light and sweet with a faint herbal undertone

Drying down - the sweet fruitiness fades into a light, soft, slightly floral scent. It still has the sweet edge to it, but not to the point it was at in the bottle. It's a gorgeous scent, just not one I'll wear.

I can't remember the super-awesome individual who slipped this in as a freebie in a swap...but thank you anyway if you ever stumble upon this!

CCCXXVII:

In the imp: it smells like coconuts and some type of actual nut--very warm and tropical smelling

Wet: creamy coconut--almost like hawaiian tropic sunblock, but without the chemically sunblock smell. It smells like there may some lotus hanging around there somewhere...it's a sweet flower, whatever it is.

Dry: is that honey? or just a foody floral? and then might there be almond? it fades rather quickly and goes a little play-doh on me, but overall I like the blend.

If there is a next time, I'm definitely partaking in the chaos theory madness. I can't believe I passed it up last time. So stupid.

Last reviewed by cuervosueno.

CVXII

Mmm, sweet fruits and dark chocolate! The fruits are too well-blended for me to pick out individual notes but there's possibly some melon in here. The cocoa note is dark and rich, and gives a smooth base. I'm also getting a touch of some very soft florals, so that as this dries down I'm left with a rich, sweet, and complex perfumey scent.

I LOVE this. :P

XLIV: 44, I do believe.

I got this from someone who got a cake/buttercream vibe from it. I can see where that came from... there's definitely an under-scent of cake.

There's just an itty bitty whisper of mint on top.

There is something else in there... herbal? I soooo can't tell! I hadn't found a review for this blend anywhere else. I do think there's a green edge to it.

No floral. No resins. Probably no musk. Yes, foody. That's about as far as my nose gets. It's an enjoyable blend, though I think I prefer my cakey blends more straight up, rather than with the unidentifiable other notes. Still, this is the best Chaos Theory I've tried, by far.