Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
harlequin

Chaos Theory II : The Butterfly Effect

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

Chaos Theory CCLIII (253)

Preconceived notions:

The notes I have from my preliminary Chaos sniffing say "Flowers???" with (literally) that many question marks, so I really don't know what to expect. :P

First sniff:

No wonder there's so many question marks; this one's a toughie. It definitely strikes me as floral, but not in a sweet/heady/powdery way...more like an...ever-so-slightly bitter floral. I'm absolutely incompetent at identifying most floral notes (aside from rose, lilac, honeysuckle and a handful of others), so I can't really nail this one. :D

Wet on skin:

Eww, flowers! I mean really strong, heady, girly florals. I think there's rose in here...oh, yeah, that's rose and a whole army of other headache inducing (for me, mind you) flower notes. I don't like florals, and especially not rose.

Dry down:

There's definitely heavy rose in this and probably amber because this is behaving (and smelling) very similarly to the other BPAL rose/amber (think Spellbound) blends I've tried. Unfortuantely, that's not a good thing for me. Definitely not a floral girl.

The bottom line:

Strike three. This is absolutely, without a doubt, not me. :D

Chaos Theory II: CCCIII (303)

In the bottle: Wow! Very creamy, reminding me of Chaste Moon and Milk Moon a lot. Not a whole lot of scent however.

Wet: Still creamy, flowers are starting to come out. I wish I had a good enough nose to tell which ones, but I am really, really liking this.

Dry: A combo of Chaste Moon and Flower Moon. It seriously smells almost like the two were blended together! I love this blend! It's staying power isnt' the best so it will be a slatherer unfortunately. But... being a flower and foody person this is so right on for me. Thanks Beth!!!

CCVIII (208)

(This is Brumbjorn's Chaos Theory; we did an imp-for-imp swap at the Seattle meet-up this weekend. :D Thank you!)

In the bottle, this smelled sweet and foody--like buttery cookies.

However, when on, it reminds me of All Saints' (which also smells foody in the bottle). In other words, flowery incense! Smokey blooms! It's not as heavy as All Saints'--I don't think there's rose or gardenia in here, like there is in All Saints'. This is a lighter, springier version. It's very nice. :P

I am not very good at picking out notes, but here's a try:

CHAOS THEORY CCVI: In the bottle it is hot buttered flowers, and something else that is slightly sweet. Maybe it's a sweet flower, not sure. Not a good sign as I'm not really one for floral, but I'm not picking up any rose which is a point in its favor. On, this is way floral. Way too floral for me. And no butter, but that note hasn't really stuck around on me in the past either. After two hours, still floral. After six, it brings to mind someone just stepped out of the shower after using a floral soap. Nice and clean, but still a little too flowery for me. I will give this another try, but I do think this will be finding a home elsewhere.

Edited by Scarlett

Bottle dos:

CHAOS THEORY CCXXX:

In the bottle, MINE MINE MINE. ALL MINE. This is going nowhere. I can already tell. It's all spicey and incensey, (sandalwood maybe?) but not in an overdone way. And after you take it away from the nose there's a little after-whiff of something vaguely rootbeer-y... sassafrass? It's not strong, but I noticed it once the bottle was away.

First 30 minutes there is something faintly musty and offputting (for me, my coworker -and Snow White wearer- didn't notice it) but after that I smell like Pier 1. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Very exotic. Very :D

Six hours on, it has faded more than I hoped, but it is even more gorgeous when you move in for a sniff. There is another component here that I'm not getting yet. It's slightly sweet and not sassafrass. And it's driving me mad... and I likes it. :P

ETA: Tobacco! It smelled almost exactly like the vanilla infused cigar my boss recieved free in one of his orders. Delicious.

ETA2: On today's run, notes of cinnamon and coconut were also considered. Like I said... :D

Edited by Scarlett

XVIII (18)

I swapped something for this one, since its previous recipient described it as vetiver and woody. :P

In the bottle: Wow, that is some complicated, strong stuff in there! I do think that I detect vetiver -- my overall impress is something deep and dark brown swirling with boozy purple. I have a tendency to pick up on anything with that sort of rum/booze note -- I like wine scents, but the headier rumnmy ones don't agree with me. I can't figure out which way this is going to go! It's very strong, slightly sweet and there's definitely some sort of dark woodiness in the background.

As it dries, that initial woozy blast dies down. I feel like I'm stumbling around on a pirate ship a little bit, gradually getting my bearings. Oddly enough there's a phase in here where it's kind of like root beer. I have seen a couple of people mention that in their reviews as a comparison and that's the closest that I can get too!

A strange mixture of some of the darker woods in the background (Kathmandu?), a heady boozy swirl and then a slightly candied root beer aftertaste. I go back and forth with this but I think that there's something that's making me feel a little headachy/woozy so I am going to see if I can circulate this one and try some more. :D My own Chaos blends are so well suited for me, but I can't help but want to see what else is out there!

ETA: After washing up and retesting this after gently rolling it in my palm a little I get more of a piney scent underneath that dark boozy feeling...not so much the sweet undercurrent now. These things definitely are chaotic!

Previously reviewed by mobilejessie.

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory XX via hologhost

This one definitely smells like Sangria with its blend of light alcohol and mingled, dulled fruits.

After a few minutes on my skin, a flowery perfume base started muting the smell of the Sangria.

I would have enjoyed this scent more without the perfumey undertone. This Chaos Theory will go further down the swap chain.

Previously reviewed by hologhost.

Chaos Theory XLIX (via Finny, with whom I swapped)

Sweet, lightly melon aquatic.. followed by a light sandalwood background (that seems to come and go very quickly) that's adding a tiny bit of warmth and oomph to this scent. The flowers are shy and never reveal enough to overwhelm the aquatic notes. It's a very coy blend that stays close to the skin, even in the summer heat.

I love this.. I'm keeping it. :P

Previously reviewed by Finny.

Courtesy of Saoirse

Chaos LXV

In the bottle: Wheee - mint is here! Mint and grass. It smells like hiding in the lawn. (In a good way.)

On me: A nice, light aquatic scent. It kind of reminds me of a milder, lighter, Cthulhu. Over time it develops a whispy floral note in the background and a hint of salt.

Now the mint also comes back out and overlays everything, but it's still a light scent.

I like this - it's very complex.

Previously reviewed by saoirse.

Chaos Theory CCCXXXVI

This is an interesting blend, and I wish I could identify the single notes that go into it.

Straight out of the bottle, it's medicinal and herbal. A whole cabinet of sharp herby bits, that smell very fresh. Then there is a resin note, just the barest bit sweet but thick and dark. It's like molasses or sap, curling through. There's almost the feel of anise to it, but I'm fairly certain it isn't that. On the far end of the drydown, there is the faintest breath of flowers. Tiny, alpine wildflowers.

A curious blend indeed.

Bottle CII (102)

I have to plead complete ignorance on this one. The one and only major note in this from wet application through drydown? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS.

In the bottle, it smells very medicinal. Like something out of mysterious brown glass bottles in my parents' medicine cabinent out of childhood. There's a sort of Oregano-undernote in the bottle. It kind of smells like I always expected Benzoin or Gum Mastic to be, but I have no idea if that is what this is, as I've never been properly introduced.

Wet application, the Oregano-like odor becomes almost citrusy. Like a really deep, bitter rind of a grapefruit. The overwhelming scent is still the mystery medicinal note.

As it dries, there is almost a sweet "aftertaste" to it. I really actually like this stage, though it is short-lived. It kind of smells like Auyervedic therapy oils at this stage, slightly medicinal, tarry, tangy, undescribable.

Further on in the drying process, it smells almost pine-like, but mainly just retains that wierd medicinal smell. I wish I could have someone else's nose in on this because honestly, I just really want to know what this note is. It's driving me insane.

Overall, it's not bad. It's definitely different!

CDXCII...aka 492

In the bottle, its Pink Moon. or at least the main note is.

Wet: still pink moon like, so must have some main thing in common, although this is a bit softer. So its the little sister for Pink Moon

Drying: still sweet, very sweet, and still very much like Pink Moon.

I am going to have to wear one on each wrist for a day to properly compare. Its a bit different but oh so similar that I couldnt tell you -how- its different. Its like Pink Moon without the darkest note of Pink Moon.

First, I think this bottle of Chaos Theory may be my most favourite BPAL ever, in that it combines a lot of my most absolutely favourite notes that don't work on me in other blends. I only got the one bottle since I have complete faith in Chaos, and've been completely rewarded. Heh.

So! Chaos Theory II: The Butterfly Effect CLXXVIII (that's what - 178?).

The outside of my bottle smells like my parents' favourite pinot noir. Dark, fruity, red wine. The top note that hits you when you open the bottle is coconut, I swear. And oob the whole impression is definitely one of sweet red fruits.

On? The wine note amplifies but doesn't dominate (similar to the wine in Nosferatu/Wanda/F54). It persists through most of the dry down, taking a back seat to a headlong plunge into a floral bouquet. I cannot identify all the notes in this. I know there is rose, but this is the only rose that hasn't strangled a blend since I last layered Wanda w/ DeSade.

For the dryest of the dry down I get honey and what I swear is tobacco. And a wee powdery floral something or other.

The overall impression is Kali-esque. Minus the chocolate. It reminds me of the smells and experience of my first BPAL order - the surprise that something can really smell that good. It's missing my favouritest leather note, and has more rose than I'd have ever thought I'd like - but it really truly works.

It is soooo me and good lord, do I adore all this wine!

Chaos Theory CCXCV (295)

Preconceived notions:

My preliminary sniffing notes say "spearmint" and I remember this smelling like spearmint Lifesavers, which isn't a bad thing at all, so I'm hoping this will work since this is the last of my original CT2's. :P

First sniff:

Pure spearmint and nothing else (at least not to my nose). I love spearmint (it ranks with wintergreen as my favorite mint note) so that's fine by me. It's minty but not too sharp like peppermint can be. More soothing and peaceful smelling, although that may just be me being sentimental. :D

Wet on skin:

Sweet spearmint. This reminds me of my trip to Morocco when I was 13 - the first time I'd ever smelled or tasted mint tea and how delicious it was and how wonderful it smelled. This is that smell to my - sugared mint tea. Delicious!

Dry down:

Sweet spearmint and a touch of soft florals. This isn't terribly different than the bottle or wet stages, surprisingly. I was expecting another morpher based on my other Chaos blends, but this one's remarkably stable. This is the most appealing of all my original Chaos blends (at least to my nose) although I don't see myself wearing this terribly often.

The bottom line:

Very pretty, but I'd never use up the whole bottle, so I'm decanting myself an imp's worth and swapping the rest for something more "me." :D

Edited by Penance

Chaos Theory CDXC (490)

In the bottle: I smell grape and lotus and something spicy--ginger or cardamom, perhaps? Yep, there is definitely lotus in this. The bubble-gumminess is unmistakeable. :D

Wet, on my skin: Fresh, green, fruity and "juicy" all at the same time. This is a carefree, happy, summertime kind of scent.

On drydown: The grapey smell has faded a bit, and a "juicy" floral blooms! It reminds me of the floral from Dia de Los Muertos, so it might be cereus. Whatever it is, combined with the lotus it is juicy and luscious. :P

Now I'm anxious for another get together with the Chicago BPAL contingent so we can sniff and compare our "one of a kind" gems!

Chaos Theory CCLXXXIV (284)

In the bottle: Hot Butter!! That's all, just butter.

First 5 min: Butter, but better!! Florals of some kind are starting to peek out.

After 30 min: The butter has faded and the florals are coming out stronger now. I'm also getting what I believe to be sandalwood!! :D The more I sniff, the more I'm falling in love!! :P

After 1 hour: The sandalwood is fading a little. The butter smell is completely gone, but has left a woodsy, smokey earthiness!! I'm also getting a stronger floral popping, like violet or something "purple" like that.

After 2 hours: Cherry Tobacco!! :D It reminds me of the pipe tobacco blend my Daddy used to smoke!! Oh my god do I love this :D !!

I'm soooo glad I ordered this!! It is truely a unique, "Butterfly Effect" blend!!

Beth, you are a GENIUS!! :D (But we all know that already)

Edited by tigerlust

CCC (300)

In the bottle, it's very coconutty-fresh-fruity. Is that pineapple I detect?

Putting it on wet: yes ladies, it's a Piña Colada! It stays rather coconutty through dry-down with the pineapple softening quite a bit to a background soft fruity/semi-floral note.

It's not particularly long lasting (at least not with this application), not as long as say, Spooky. But that could be due to the 23098350234% humidity outside. Blech!

This one is definitely a winner and a keeper. YUM.

... and of course I've got IF YOU LIKE PINA COLADAS AND GETTING CAUGHT IN THE RAIN stuck in my head. :P

ETA:

I wore this again for the first time in a while, and the scent is totally different. There is a pineapple note, which morphs into a dry, powdery lemon. Like taking a handful of powdered lemonade mix and sniffing it. The drydown is that dry, but citrusy note, and a slight leafy note ... reminding me of Samhain. I think I like this much better now! And it has me geared up for the new Chaos Theory oils.

Edited by Diana

CXXXII (132) courtesy of thorne! :P :D

My review will be *very* different from hers, just to warn ya :D

First off, I can definately smell the cinnamon, but it's mixed with something else...as it dries down, I can definately smell white sandalwood and white musk (as it has the same base as both Zephyr and Kuang Shi have), and I think the cinnamon is blending with something light and peppery. There's a soft sweetness...vanilla? The whole blend has a very clean feel, with a touch of the kind of powderiness that Antique Lace had.

This is a beautiful blend, one I'd be happy to have a full bottle of :D

Previously reviewed by Thorne.

CXLI (141) also a thorne decant! :D

This one is gonna be very different too :D

Fresh lemony zest softened by something in the background...milk maybe? a bit of honey. Smells like Lemon Zinger with milk and honey in it :P The notes blend as the scent dries down--the lemon zest is still the dominant note, but it never "bites."

I never get any chocolate, but this is still a lovely, lovely blend, which I'd also enjoy a bottle of :D brilliant!

Previously reviewed by Thorne.

Chaos Theory II CDXCIX (499)

This is going to be brief... at the moment i'm only doing the wet in the bottle review, and i will add on later...after i wear each Chaos Theory II.

From the bottle i'm smelling a spearmint...it's kind of medicinal feel about it and something else i can't figure out what it is. I will add more when i test on my skin.

Chaos Theory II DXXIV (524)

In this CT2...wet from the bottle, i'm getting some mints and it could be several types of mints and some kind of fruit maybe a type of berry. I will try to find out what type of berry when i do a skin test. I will add on at a later date.

Chaos Theory II DXIV (514)

Wet in the bottle i smell cherries and vanilla and maybe a tad bit of coffee maybe. This one is very nice i need to hurry and do a skin test on this one. So far i like all four of my CT2 that i purchase from the lab. I will also add my skin test on... at a later date.

Chaos Theory II CDLXXXVIII (488)

Wet in the bottle i'm getting a strong lavender scent with a nutmeg and vanilla. Because of the Strong lavender smell i almost thought i smelled mint in there and i got kind of a herbal feel also. Will add on later when i do a skin test.

Chaos Theory II: CDLXIV (464)

In The Bottle: the first time i opened the bottle i thought mint! i was in a rush and didn't really have time to really stop and think about it. (okay, maybe it's because i wanted it to be mint...) the second time i opened the bottle i smacked my forehead and thought, duh, lavender. i mean, you could tell me this was a single note and i would totally believe you.

Wet: hmm, still lavender and the good sweet non-musky kind too.

Dry Down: lavender always kinda reminder me of nice men's cologne and this is kinda doing that too.

Dry: yep, there is that cologne-y type note there but nice and sweet still. i would almost swear it's just pure lavender but not having ever sniffed the bpal lavender SN i'm not sure though it sure smells and acts like other lavender SN i have sniffed in the past....

Over All: love it. i'm not even sure if i want to make an imp from this to swap, even though i told myself i would....

Bottle CDLX (460)

In the bottle: Smells fruity and very candy-like. There's some kind of not that makes my nose tingle that I can't quite place.

Wet on skin: Bubblegum! Fruit flavored bubblegum! I'm really hoping that this morphs because while it smells delicious, it's not quite the grown-up scent that I had hoped for.

Drydown: Well, the gum scent has gone away and is replaced by cotton candy. Smells very tasty, and slightly warmer than it did. Very sweet.

Final Verdict: It smells wonderful, but it's not very "me." I'm not really into pink scents. I might give it another try, but I'll probably swap it.