Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
harlequin

Chaos Theory II : The Butterfly Effect

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

Chaos Theory LXXXVII (87?? I failed Roman Numerals 101, sorry!!)

One word: SARSAPARILLA!!!!!

Well, I'm sure there's a lot of other notes in there, two of which are definitely anise and sandalwood, but the sarsaparilla is over powering pretty much everything.

When I wear it, I smell like one of those root beer hard candies - the ones shaped like the little barrels?

Tre' Yum.

And, this baby has lasting power. Oh boy does she ever!!!!

:P

I am so much happier with my CTII than I was with the first one. I am NOT a floral person, and my CTI was all florals. My CT? All spicy and warm. Just how I like it.

-Leslie

Chaos Theory XXXII (32)

Preconceived notions:

When I first opened my CT2's, the impression I wrote down for this one was "burnt toffee" which doesn't sound particularly promising given my experiences with Gluttony and Hellcat (have I mentioned how much I hate those blends lately?), but I'm hoping it'll change for the better once I wear it.

First sniff:

Something in here is very similar to both Hellcat and Gluttony to my nose. "Burnt toffee" is absolutely right if I'm to judge. There's also a hint of something ever-so-slightly creamy in the far, far background that I can barely smell, even with my nose right up to the bottle.

Wet on skin:

Much less burnt smelling now, but still toffee. There's something slightly sharp in here, too, but I don't know what it is. Overall, this has the same effect as both Gluttony and Hellcat (for me, mind you): a sort of general ickiness that seems to be brought about my sticky sweet scents.

Dry down:

No real change from when it was wet, which is surprising. Burnt toffee and something slightly sharp and a tiny bit herbal, although I have a feeling that it's my skin chemistry bringing that note out since it only shows up once I put it on.

The bottom line:

Strike one. This is definitely not for me, unfortunately. This one's getting swapped. :P

Chaos Theory CDXVI (166) (416)

First of all....this is the most beautiful label I have ever seen. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!

First sniff: It's very herby and a little sharp. It screams neon green at me, but not in a sour apple kind of way.

Wet on skin: It's funny that I picked up the color green from smelling it because the oil is, in fact, bright green! Once it hits the skin it blooms and smells amazing!!! It's very very similar to Hemlock, but with a pronounced sweetness to it. It reminds me of a lollypop with some herbal notes behind it.

Drydown: Stays very true as it dries. It has great staying power and gets just a touch sweeter, but retains the green-ness.

Overall: I have been blessed!!! This worls perfectly with my chemistry. I am so so so thankful that I ordered this. I ADORE it.

EDIT: Fixed the "real" number. :P --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

Well I have both of mine on my wrists now:

CT 125- first impression when popping open the bottle- OMG this is food-y sweet. What the hell am I going to do to not knaw off my arm?

Dry after 5 minutes- Oh my god. It's summer flowers. Perfect summer flowers. I think I need to just attach my wrist to my nose. I'm catching some Lily of the Valley, and something else. This was my hope for Flower Moon (which is beautiful in it's own right, but this one smells more like our flower garden in Colorado where I grew up than the California like scents in Flower Moon)

Okay now on thinking about it- there is sweet- maybe some apple? Which would jive well with my memory as we had crab apple trees all over the place at the house I grew up in.

CT 66- Smells woody in the bottle. At first I thought it might be the fantastic patchouli that Beth has.

On and dry- oh it's not woody anymore. It's this wonderful combination of spices. A little Mexican, a little Indian all tied up in one. Seems like cinnamon, clove and maybe some cumin or corriander. Oh my goodness me this is going to be a comfort scent for me *swoon*

ok, here it goes, this is my first review ever:

ct CCCXLVII (347)

In Bottle: It smells like butterscotch, or buttered rum

Wet: for a few minutes it smells just like it did in the bottle, then starts to turn into a spicy floral. It reminds me a little of Fenris Wolf

Dry: as it dries it goes through a few changes. The floral amps up, but there is a slight bitter note to it. Then all of the sudden the floral drops away and I am left with a slightly spicey honey vanilla. In the end a slight hint of the floral comes back to play with the honey and vanilla.

Over all I like the end result. It lasts a while and has a good throw, but i'm not sure if I love it yet. It will take me a few more trys to make sure

CCCXXXIV - Wow, a bright, sunny floral. Definitely a pink/yellow scent for me. I'm not very good at identifying specific notes without a description, but I'll do my best. Magnolia, rose, lily maybe? There might be a little jasmine in there too. It's very feminine and perfumey, quite lovely.

CCXIII - Lo and behold, another bright floral! Good thing I'm a floral fan! This one's a bit deeper, oleander perhaps? There seems to be a touch of rose in here also. It's darkened up a bit by something, maybe violet and a hint of patchouli or something incensey. There may even be some wet fruits hiding in there somewhere. Another lovely one, I lucked out, I like both my Chaos Theories! :P

Okay - here goes nothing.

CDVII (407):

My nose is usually pretty good with notes, but these 2 CT have got me at a loss. I definitely smell cinnamon and also some buttered rum (reminds me of a soft gluttony when wet with cinnamon). Dry down, cinnamon is still very prominent, but the foodiness has subsided. Very spicy scent. Really a gorgeous cinnamon/slightly foody scent, but not for me. (fun to get in the mail and review though :P ) This one is off to swap.

CCCXCIX (399):

Cinnamon, berry (plum maybe) with a hint of "?"... shit it's going to drive me nuts - I can't figure out what else I am smelling, but damn it smells good. It reminds me in a very slight way when wet, of Samhain, but only for an instant. Then in morphs into its own beautiful creation. This one is not as spicy but very beautiful in it's own way. If I can only figure out what the other prominent note that I am smelling is!! Way to go BETH!!!!!!

edited: if I could only spell...

Edited by queenb

added chaos to my life a couple of days ago. I was hoping for a glorious woody or resiny or incensy blend. this is what I got.

Chaos II XXV (25)

In the vial: smells like ludens cherry cough drops.

On the skin:

- Initial - still smells a bit like cherry cough drops/syrup. changes pretty fast to more of a berry scented floral. something about this oil is warming but I don't think it's cinnamon or ginger or black pepper - I'm not sure what it is.

- 20 minutes: resins start to come out. this is changing nicely! still warm feeling berryish floral. hints of jasmine. I think there's a bit of incense but definately no woods. it becomes richer and to me, more appealing. this stage is the best.

- couple of hours: stays pretty true once it deepens, however after about 2 to 2.5 hrs it's pretty much all gone. Don't know what it is, but lately nothing is lasting on me.

Overall: pretty nice. I was initially a bit hesitant to put it on my skin due to the cough syrup factor, but it changes pretty quickly in a good way. it's not my holy grail of oils but I like it. it's a pretty quiet scent and stays close, not a lot of throw. it a bit foody. brings to mind a dark red color. just like a cherry cough drop. I'm going to have to wear it a few more time to see if I'll keep it or not.

will update with Chaos II CCCIV or if I can think of more to add to my description above - picking out notes is not my strong point.

Chaos Theory II: CCLXXII (272)

I ordered one bottle only. I had faith.

So this is what I can determine from bottle #272.

I want to be able to say "this is like such and such scent" but I can't. I don't own anything like this. It's creamy, yet not. But it is definitely berry. It's like a berry shake, if that makes sense. When it dries it is smooth and berrylike - bright and happy. More cheerful than Medea*, 100% less bouncy pop then Jester (which I like, I think.. still mulling it over). If it pulls a crayola out of the box it's purple-red going to a shade that almost matches the label. The scent isn't second skin, not like amber, not like dragon's blood. It's like 'hey, here I am, and I'm just pretty on you, yes?" Yes. I'm happy. No worries. I'll figure out the exact notes in here eventually. Or never. It's chaotic and lovely.

Chaos Theory II: The Butterfly Effect #CCLXXXV (285)

This one's soft and smooth. I really like it. It seems to have Sandalwood, a touch a vanilla, maybe some cinnamon. In fact the vanilla is almost more of a vanilla flower smell.. its beautiful, really. It smells the same on my skin as the bottle. I think this would smell great in an oil burner.

Chaos Theory II: The Butterfly Effect #CCLXXXVIII (288)

I can't place this one. It's green and astringent. It smells like a bath oil I had from Victoria's Secret when I was a kid. I don't think I like it and I can't even place the notes. Not green tea, because it doesn't smell smooth and nice and bright. I don't know, I'll let Jody have at the notes and see what he smells and get back to you all.

Previously reviewed by gingersnapp.

XCVI (96):

Please be forewarned, when I don't already know the notes I am CRAP at identifying them ... but here goes.

BOTTLE: Before I opened it, I had sniffed the outside rim and gotten a Spooky vibe ... that kind of sweet but slightly tangy/minty scent. In the bottle, I still got Spooky/Star ... very sweet, a little suntan oil which makes me think coconut but also an underlying fruity scent.

WET: A greenish floral jumps out as well here ...

DRYDOWN: I think this is a real tropical fruity concoction, like a colorful frothy drink you'd get at a beach resort with a little paper parasol in it ...

Yet I keep thinking I'm missing something. There is something REALLY familiar about it ... Dana thinks it smells like a mai tai so I guess we're on the same track here ... ARGH it definitely smells like another BPAL scent that ISN'T Spooky or Star but I can't quite place it ...

ETA: PINEAPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Baba Yaga without the brown sugary undertones!!! It's definitely got pineapple in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not quite pina colada despite my feeling that it has both pineapple and coconut ... probably some other fruit too.

The obligatory disclaimer: I'm not an expert note-detector, especially when it comes to florals. So I'm not entirely sure this is accurate.

CCCXCV (395):

In the bottle, smells like a perfume my dad's girlfriend might've worn once, a long time ago, but not one that was a signature scent of hers.

On skin wet: Very beautiful and sophisticated light scent, which I can't readily identify as either floral or musk, though those are the tones it's closest to. This one feels intensely complex. I think it's floral, and floral of the subtle aquatic variety.

On drydown: It gains that intense clean, verging on soapy (but not!) tone. A very clean, very floral phase hits next. Florals are not my forte, unfortunately, but water lily is as close as I can get. As for comparisons to others: I don't tend towards florals, as I said, but Leanan Sidhe is as close as I can think of. It walks just this edge of being so clean it's soapy, and then settles into a brilliant white perfume--very springy and very confident. I imagine this worn by a woman in white, her dress tossed in a spring wind. This is strong, though. It lasts. By the very, very end, it ends up as the scent I associate with "mists."

CCCLXX (370):

In the bottle, very reminiscent of another BPAL blend I can't place.

On skin wet: Strong, strong fragrant herbs, and tones of the more "commercial-smelling" (to me) BPAL blends.

On drydown: A bare hint of orange blossom, or something else high in the nose and kind of sharp. Very sophisticated, though. An evening at the opera sort of scent. Certainly floral, though. Iris or orchid, perhaps? Possibly some fig? Wine, maybe? But not intrusive--more the alcohol scent of it than the redness of it.

The more I sniff this, the more it seems like a high-end designer fragrance that only those that can afford it could wear. It's a little deeper and more mysterious than CCCXCV (395): the type that a dark-haired woman with light eyes, her hair pulled back, in an evening gown would wear as light from the chandelier reflects from her eyes across the room and she turns away, the cloud of gems at her neck making her face light up as she disappears into the crowd.

It's beautiful, beautiful. Well-balanced and striking. I'm falling in love with this one, I have to say, but I fear never having an important enough occasion to wear it.

Definitely a berry component coming out later, I think, but very dark ones--plum, black currant. Those sorts. In tone, if not in notes, this reminds me of Kali and Bordello. Gorgeous, but way more than I can live up to. :P

CCCXXVI(326)

Having a hard time picking the notes out in this one but here it goes...

In the bottle~Light, not *too* sweet berry with a touch of what seems to be light musk, YUM!! Quickly morphs to all musk and I feel a headache coming on. Not good.

After another few minutes, I'm getting something similar to The Living Flame. Also want to say strawberry, then maybe a touch of vanilla...but not quite, either of them.

Eventually ends up smelling like a lighter version of The Living Flame...Nice but, not quite what I was hoping for. If it stayed true to what it's like in the bottle, perfect! But it doesn't.

Then there's that headache... :D

eta:

Decided to try this one more time...

Started out really irritated my sinuses. Picked up what was similar to wet, moldy dirt. After about 20 minutes, went through that, TLF again, but quickly thereafter, while still similar to the florals in The Living Flame, picked up a bit more of what sure smells like vanilla :P

Still, after another hour or so, trying really hard to morph into generic, designer perfume. Not much, if any, vanilla, although there's definitely a hint of berries.

Nice but just refuses to work w/my chemistry, unfortunately.

This one needs to go to a good home where it'll be well loved :D

Edited by Eros

Introducing Chaos Theory II CLXXX:

This is the love child of Grog and Spooky. Buttery, coconutty, suntan lotion with a hint of pineapple...

Unfortunately it pretty much fades into my skin within 15 minutes. If I put my nose RIGHT up against my arm I can smell it, but why bother when I could put on Grog or Spooky instead and get to smell it without a lot of effort? :D

Way too many scents diappear on me. It's sad. I'll try again later, but I think I'm swapping... :P

CLXXIII (173)

All hail the power of chaos--this is a blend I would never have ordered (because of the mint), but I do like it.

CLXXIII smells like Silk Road (herbal, light, spicy, and sweet) with added mint (I think it's spearmint). I'm not usually a mint fan, but this is delicate and lovely. The mint fades in 30 minutes or so, and the scent that remains is beautiful. Perfect for summer. :P

Edited by Sheila

Chaos Theory CLXXXI (181)

I was quite apprehensive about this as I passed on the first Chaos Theory experiment and fully expected to receive a bottle of aquatics or citrus with notes of civet dancing around in the background. Luckily my bottle is none of these things :D

In the bottle it's a little spicy and sweet and kinda reminds me of Gingerbread Poppet. Underneath however is a faint whiff of something damp and earthy, almosty minty but not quite. Verrrry interesting! The sweet spiciness deepens after a bit and has morphed into something like Snake Oil but with a rich soil note underneath. I'll have to elaborate a bit more when I've had a chance to wear it ( opposed to just dabbing it on my wrist) but I think this is definitely a winner :P

This is my very first experience ever with Chaos Theory. I’m blown away by the concept. The actuality has me gasping at the artistry of it all.

This is Chaos Theory II LXXXI. Is it really true that each and every one of these bottles is different??? It boggles the mind. Not only are there hundreds of individual scents out there….but the Chaos Theory now in my sweaty little palms has a plethora of my favourite notes! How on earth does Beth DO this??? :D

First of all, the bottle is GREAT. It has a multi-coloured purple butterfly on it, with the BPAL symbol as the body of the butterfly. The wings can also look like eyes, with the symbol as a nose, and the number of the blend as a toothy smile. (okay, i admit it. i'm a geek. :P )

In the bottle, the first thing my nose catches is coconut. Then fig..i think. It is a deep purple jammy smell, that could also be plums or grapes or berries. Another note is wafting in and out.…vaguely reminiscent of spice. Maybe cinnamon, but the more subtle scent of Ceylon cinnamon.

On the skin, wet: the coconut is rich and ever present. Now I detect a green, perhaps citrusy note, but not one I can immediately grasp. It may be an herbal note, instead. Maybe lemon grass? It is sweet, but not cloying. Something edible, delicious, but not sugary.

Morphing into something warm and buttery mixed into the coconut and spice. I may have to gnaw my wrist off.

Dry down: the coconut is still dominant, but in a creamy, not so “jump up and slap me”, way. There is yet another change evident now, a smokiness reminiscent of Hexennacht, the summer fires burning into embers.

Overall impressions: this is voluptuous, full and spicy. Full blown fruit, decadent but not jaded. There is an earthy smokiness to it, those embers just waiting to be blown back into flames. LXIII looks up at you from underneath dark lashes, bedroom eyes pulling you in.

What can I say? I just LOVE this. I know that the lab doesn’t make individual blends….but this has tesão all over and through it.

Beth, you are a Goddess! :D

OBRIGADÃO!!!

ETA: the morning after, what is left is pure cocoa and cream. almost Velvet! mmmm. i love each and every phase of this! :D

Edited by tesao

Chaos Theory II CCLIV (254):

This was a hard one at first. In the bottle I almost couldnt smell anything. It was so light. But after a second or so, I smelled something fruity, like Mi-Go. Finally then I realized what I smelled, PINEAPPLE. I love tropical fruits so I was getting very hopeful.

Wet...I could still smell the pineapple, but there was something underneath that I couldnt quite place. I couldnt tell if it was floral or musk. Whatever. After about 10 minutes all I could really determine that this was a fruity, creamy, musky scent. I could also smell a hint of coconut in there, almost like an expensive suntan lotion. Still there is this underlying scent that I could not place. I might have to figure how to decant and send it to an expert.

Drydown...still very lovely. I am really diggin this. At this point this smells like Chaste Moon and Milk Moon (without the mint). The creaminess comes thru but without the lunar oils. Yum.

6th hour and on...My arm smells just like it does when I have had Hexxennacht on since morning. Musky and yummy.

This one morphs alot. I really like it. I really felt that maybe Beth did make this one for me. It has a lot of components that I love all in one bottle. I still may pimp an imp to share the love.

Chaos Theory II: CCXX (220)

In the bottle: I don't know. It reminds me of some of the blends that the boy really likes. So I'm gonna go pillage his box real quick. It's kinda like a mix between Haunted and, I don't know, something leather, maybe. I'm not real sure. I do know that I probably won't be wearing it on myself past this test review.

Wet: Woodsy and somewhat spicy as well. Nothing I'd probably choose for myself and I'm kinda hoping I don't turn out to be allergic to it. Maybe some mosses as well. I don't know. I'm bad at picking out notes without any clues.

Dry down: Woodsy with some leather in it maybe. I don't know. It strikes me as a fairly masculine blend. I'm thinking that the boy will probably like this one a lot, which is good because I bought two Chaos bottles with it in mind that he should get one of them as long as the notes worked out. But this blend is right up his alley. It reminds me of a lot of the other scents that he really likes. I'm starting to think that maybe Beth threw it in for me on purpose.

Dry: Still a fairly woody/spice masculine smell. I don't know what's really in it, though. I'll let the boy test it and then see whether he wants to keep it or not. It's nice but not for me.

Chaos Theory II CXCIII (193)

In the bottle: This smells like jelly beans and menthol. No, it smells like that fluoride treatment they give you at the dentist's office. OMG. That stuff they squirt into your mouth and then leave you there. I've had a few panics where I was convinced I was going to drown myself while they were gone. As well as some of that too sickly sweet jelly bean aftertaste. I don't know about this blend at all.

Wet: Jelly beans, menthol and fluoride. It's...I don't know. It's sickly sweet and yet terribly disturbing for me on a personal level as well. I'm not sure about this. I may test this, decant the imps I promised for various people and then sell the rest. I doubt I can even have something with these associations in the house with me long term.

Dry down: It's like...it's mint but not mint. It's the subtle mint of jelly beans and menthol. Mint alchol but not to the extreme of juke joint. Like too sweet peppermint schnapps or something. But to me it's still evocative of the flouride and the sucking noise of that horrible tube in my mouth. Jelly beans and childhood fears. I'm sure that this blend is probably lovely to people who lack the associations I have.

Dry: Jelly beans and flouride. I can't get past this. I need to check and see who wants imps from me and then get it away. Which means that I struck out with my Chaos blends.

Chaos Theory CCII (202)

I have no idea what mine smells like. All I know is it smells drastically different in the drydown than it does in the bottle.

Bottle: Cocoa, a little cookie-ish, teeny tiny hint of spearmint. I died when I smelled this!

Wet: Smells exactly like in the bottle. It's a bit creamy and a tiny bit foody without actually being foody. It sort of reminds me of a sharper intrigue (which, on me, was all woods and cocoa).

Dry: Hmm, it's starting to get a little sharp. Now, it's sort of like a sour Al Azif. I think it's coming from a white-ish floral though...surrounded in brown sugar and something like subtle pepper.

This one is weird, weird, weird! It's very subtle. I'd put it more into the resin category than anything else. No fruits or noticeable florals in here.

Initial reaction: hell yeah!

Secondary: hmm, I'm not so sure...

trying it again: ok maybe

later on: weird but nice

It's different than most of the BPAL I've tried. I'm going to keep this one unless it decides to get all rotty on me. It does teeter on that thin line right when it starts to dry.

ETA: I opened it up this morning to sniff it again (it smells so good in the bottle), and when I put it back I got suntan oil and a big whiff of toasted coconut. Whoopie!

Edited by Rheliwen

CT CCIV (204)

Wet- this smells mostly of amber/resin, with a slight undertone of sweet cherries and of almond.

Wearing- once dry the resin totally disappears, and the scent develops a sharp citrus tea scent- it 's very tangy, and citrus tea in conjunction with almond. The citrus tea lasts for an hour or so and then this morphs into a cinnamon and almond scent. The cinnamon becomes very strong, and it's a very warm scent.

This is very much a fall-winter scent, so I suspect I'll be wearing it mostly then. It's sweet, and it's warm and spicy. I like the latter life of this scent better than the earlier tea and resin- my nose is having a hard time figuring that out (and there may be something else underneath the tea, I can't tell.)

Chaos Theory II: CCCLXXII (372)

In The Bottle: Wow, lime and candle soot, that's strange. the candle soot part is what i thought cathedral would have smelled like.

Wet: hmm, the lime is not really lime but more like a sweet and sour pectin kinda smell and the sooty part is completely gone and more cinnamon like.

Dry Down: the cinnamon is coming out strong, funny now that i smell the bottle i get the cinnamon part.

Dry: i got it! it's totally those big red cinnamon gummy bears. don't think red hots (that is too cinnamony) but more of that gummy bear based kinda cinnamon.

Over All: i don't really have any cinnamon oils that i really like but i like this one. i have already decided to make one imp for swapping for another CT2 and decant half my bottle for pink.owl for a half of her's. even though it's not a everyday wear for me i'll definitely use up the part i'm going to keep.

Edited by graycat

Chaos Theory II: CCCXLVIII (348)

In The Bottle: gingerbread poppet! i have to get my bottle...

yeah, very similar but it sort of has a underlying cherry lozenge smell to it.

Wet: not as much nutmeg as gingerbread poppet but super close. love that brown sugar!

Dry Down: the cherry is ever so faint but still there.

Dry: still like gingerbread poppet, good throw to boot.

Over All: love it! i still going to make an imp to swap out for another CT2 and decant half my bottle for pink.owl for a half of her other CT2. i'm gong to go through this one fast this winter.

Chaos Theory XVII (17)

Preconceived notions:

My notes I made when I got my Chaos blends and gave them a quick sniff say "Ricola coughdrops, but sweeter." I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, to tell the truth.

First sniff:

This does remind me of Ricola coughdrops - sort of herbal/medicinal with something sweet in the background. This is really different than any of the other BPAL scents I've tried.

Wet on skin:

Whoa! Talk about quick change...now the Ricola note is gone and I get something rather foody smelling. Almost like caramel with an overtone of something sugary. This reminds me of another BPAL scent now, but I can't place it. This is so different on me than in the bottle. These new Chaos blends are real morphers. :icon_eek:

Dry down:

I wish I could pin this scent down. I know I recognize it, but I just can't put the name to it. On me, this is sweet and almost cookie-like with a dollop of caramel and a very faint herbal note in the background. I really don't like sweet scents, unfortunately, so I think this one's another swapper.

The bottom line:

This is a really surprising scent. I'm not sure if I really like it yet, but it takes the prize for the biggest about face I've encountered yet.