Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
harlequin

Chaos Theory II : The Butterfly Effect

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CDXXV. I received this decant from vacpl, but it doesn't seem to have a review yet.

First sniff: This is nice in the vial. A little bit white-musky, a little bit soft-fruity (maybe some plum?) and a little bit of green.

Wearing: Ack! Where’d that sharp resiny thing come from? It’s almost acrid in its sharpness. The happy musky fruityness is almost completely buried. Darn.

CDL (Decant from cybra111)

First sniff: Pumpkin spice and cold air.

Wearing: Pumpkiny spicey coldy airy. Drinking pumpkin-spice chai on the sidewalk on a blustery day. It's chilly and comforting at the same time... it makes me think of being warm in winter.

Previously reviewed by filigree_shadow.

CCXXX (A lovely wee sniffie from Deana. Thanks!)

First sniff: Ooh, yum. This one smells like coconut and berries. Very desserty.

Wearing: It’s the same pure white coconut as in Obatala, with a little splash of bright berry, and a blanket of soft vanilla as it dries. Just stunning.

Previously reviewed by Scarlett.

LXVIII-Pretty sure this one has been reviewed here before.

This blend is one of my faves of any BPAL scent. It smells like a cross between Snow White and Lush Snowcake.

I am THE WORST at finding notes, but to my nose I smell white flowers, almond, Musk, sandalwood and a hint of cream (maybe)

It's just a great scent all around.

Last reviewed by Elri.

Chaos Theory II: Butterfly Effect CCXCI

(Received as a decant with a purchase off eBay. Said to be powdery floral on the label. Have also seen it described as foody.)

It's definitely something floral, all right, although when wet, there's also a faint hint of something juicy. That settles into a strange combination of berry-like florals and something sharp and faintly resinous--maybe a dash of dragon's blood? There's also just a hint of something like cake. In the end, though, it boils down to flowery berries and a hint of resin for me--not bad, but not my favorite combination either. It also gets a little soapy on my skin as time goes on.

Previously reviewed by slave1.

CCXXXIV (234)

In the imp: Spearmint, and nothing but.

Wet: I could have sworn I just swiped some perfume on...where did it go?

Dry: Oh, there it is. This got very faint for a few minutes then came back. This is pretty much a spearmint single note. It's got a much stronger throw than the normal lab mints, and it lasts a good, long time.

Verdict: I should have known from the number (I love sequential numbers like 234!) that this would be lovely. I think I'd like to layer this with MB: Tokyo Stomp or one of the Lick It line.

Last reviewed by blackrayne.

CDLXVIII

This was previously reviewed as a creamy mint, of which I don't get.

The user I got this from described it as a berry bubblegum, also which I don't get.

Upon first smelling this bad boy in it's bottle, I immediately thought "fish". (wtf?) Now, something so funky hasn't stopped me from trying the scent on in the past. Why would it now? Upon applying to skin, I get an attack of lemon zest. And a hint of that bubblegum. Mm.. Lemon bubblegum. Not entirely unpleasant - actually, I think this would make a really neat soap or bath salt. :P

CCXLII

previous review says: minty, buttery, eucalyptus, light florals.

i say: big red gum or trident or any other kind of cinnamony/minty chewing gum. my mom, who usually describes ALL of my bpal as 'old lady', got the same thing from it. it remains surprisingly true and strong after it is applied to my skin. wow.

Previously reviewed by alston78.

CXXVII....

This was a frottle in a swap, a while back.... :P

Sage! It's mostly sage, strong enough to seem like eucalyptus if you sniff up close. The throw is great though. There is a sweetness here, beyond that I can't say what the notes are. Resins? Maybe one of the lighter, sweet ones like copal. I'm really not sure, but it doesn't smell like anything else I can think of.

So, sage and resins. Nice!

Edit: previously reviewed by PersephonesChild........you were right, this is definitely a sage scent.....I recognize it from Corazon among others.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Chaos Theory II: CLVIII, previously reviewed by filigree_shadow and malanna

For me this is honey and a white floral. It's a pretty aggressive blend on me, which surprises me considering that it should be aged. I think there may be a lavender/lavender like component to it. Yeah.

Hmmm... There appears to be no previous review of this.

CCCXLV (Which I am assuming means 345)

This was intensely berry on wet, but as it dried I get an almost vanilla/gingerbread cookie kind of smell.

I wish the berries had stuck around....

CDXXXIV

This one is berry... but it dries down to Fearful Pleasure, but without the apple cider and berries instead. I'm trying now to decide whether I need the bottle or not, or if my husband will say 'smells like potpourri,' which he did, for FP.

Edited by zankoku_zen

CHAOS THEORY II: The Butterfly Effect CCXXV - No description

At first sniff out of the bottle I smell allspice, cinnamon, a sweet note, could be vanilla. This is a sweet, spicy smelling scent. Beautiful.

Wet on my arm, the first thing I smell is a smoky sweet amber. The cinnamon distinction that I smelled before has merged into this smell. Or my nose is getting use to it, lol.

30 minutes later: I smell a sweet mellow amber.

I absolutely love it and am so glad I purchased the bottle.

Previously reviewed by slave1.

Edited by amberdark

XCI - 91

In the Decant: sweet almond and non-alcoholic piña colada (heavy on the coconut and cream, light on the pineapple)

Wet on Skin: about the same

Dry: piña colada, sweet almond, a snowy aquatic note, and a hint of peppermint. Later on the almond and the pineapple totally disappear leaving coconut cream, snowy aquatics, and a little peppermint

Previously reviewed by synique.

CDXXXIV - 434

In the Decant: raspberry, cherry juice (unsweetened), pineapple, and a hint of cardamom

Wet on Skin: raspberry, cherry juice, pineapple, cardamom (much more of it), and woods (nothing specific)

Dry: cardamom, woods, cigar tobacco, and a slight hint of raspberry and cherry juice

Rarely have I sniffed a scent that changes so completely from decant to drydown. It's so fruity in the decant, but so dark and spicy on the drydown

ETA previously reviewed by zankoku_zen

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory 2: XI (11)

So someone gave me a few drops of this this absolutely ages ago and somehow I never got 'round to reviewing it. zenvodunista also reviewed it, I believe.

Imp: This is indeed quite hard to get a handle on. Strong, sweet spices, something like a dark amber over a musky base, and a sweet, piercing floral, quite possibly lotus. I can definitely see the spices and bubblegum comparison, but to me it smells like overly-sweet incense.

Wet: Sweet pea? And strong tonka or something of that nature. Lotus, spice, something nose-tingly like menthol. This reminds me a LOT of Perversion-- same tonka, same background spice, same sugar and even a hint of booze. It is however even foodier than Perversion. The throw on this is ridiculous.

Dry: For me, this is pretty much a dead ringer of Perversion. Must be the tonka? Same waxy sweetness, layered with spice and something like leather. It's nice, but it's nothing (fortunately) that I'm in love with.

Last reviewed by Shollin.

CT 2 : DCXVII (617)

I have had this for a while (2 years) ...and try as I might, I'm always at a loss to put into description what this smells like...

So forgive me if I sound like a babbleing fool, I'm going to attempt.

This in the bottle, is very medicinal smelling. Almost like a campho-phenique, it smells green.

On the skin at first it is smashed up wet peppermint leaves. VERY true to the leaf smell, exactly like huffing a handful of them..

After a while on drydown it is still the mint, with a strange powder behind it, I cannot for the life of me find anything else to compare it to.

Its odd, definately odd.

I cant quite figure it out!!!

CT II: DCXLIX

I bought this off a lovely forumite who described it as a fruity blend. In the bottle I get something that has a strong resemblance to Autumn Coolness - but with fruits. Perhaps there is bamboo, a bit of cassia bud in there? Or maybe the florals wisteria and lotus blossom? Not sure, but this is very similar.

Wet on my skin I think I'm getting some plum, or perhaps a purpleish wine scent. The resemblance to Autumn Coolness is almost completely gone except for the base note. They are similar.

As this dries the wine-feel of the scent slips away and the fruit feel comes back. Fruit that is ripe and just picked. Like you're eating it standing under the tree/vine. There are some florals floating around it all - as if some of the fruit plants are still in bloom around you.

Dry this is soft and sweet - not foody, but sweet fruits and wafting flowers with just a hint of an orchard (with the grass and leaves and wood all around).

I really love this scent. I have no idea what it smelled like fresh, but aged almost 5 years - it's truly wonderful.

CT II: CCCXC

Previous owner described it as a very pumpkin scent, but I get mostly a fresh lemon scent, very nice on a breezy spring day.

CT II: CCXIX

Mint mint and more mint! Really reminds me of a pack of Wrigley's spearmint gum. It dries down really nice and a small hint of spice comes out, but the mint really stays forward on me. I like it.

cxl (141)

previously reviewed as fruity

in the imp: sweet and fruity

wet: musky and candy sweet

dry: musky, rasberry, and orange- reminds me of akuma with musk

CT2: LXXXVI - This smells like sweet, delicious Hawaiian Punch Fruit Punch..,red and sweet and sticky. Yummy yummy yummy!!!! Once it's on my skin, something just the slightest bit soapy is there, but I don't smell it unless I'm sniffing my wrists up close. I would guess it's some sort of floral note mixed in with the Hawaiian Punch. Despite the up-close soapiness, I still love it.

DXXX/530 decant from salls

In the imp

All I get is overwhelming sweet fruityness

Wet

Strong juicyfruit bubblegum with maybe a faint hint of the spicer sort of eastern florals

Dry

The spicy florals come through a bit more, but still over sweet and far too fruity for me. Reminds me of one of Lush's first ever range of perfumes, which unhelpfully was just called 'Lush'

Edited by ReallyZeb

CDL (450)

This one started off like cherry blossoms - white, floral, and slightly fruity. It then dried down to something that smells like Ivory soap. :(