Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

... This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

Mmm, figgy-cherry-almondy goodness! (Really, if you like any of those notes, or if your skin amps them in a good way, try an imp of Eden!) I also get a quite strong whiff of coconut. This is a lovely, clean scent reminiscent of summertime, and it captures what so many body sprays and whatnot try to, but without being cloying. This is possibly worth a bottle for me.

Edited by Clementine

I didn't like it when I first put it on, but now it smells very figgy. A little honey, milk, and almonds underneath. I don't really smell the coconut or sandalwood. Pretty good, overall.

Score: 3 out of 5

Eden...just the name alone sounds dreamy...no??? :D

I bought a 5ml outright because of the coconut..I won't deny it..I am a bit of a coconut fanatic..and although I don't normally embrace sweet/foody scents if a scent has coconut in it's notes I am willing to delve into foody waters...I am that weak for coconut.

Funny thing is..most of my favorite scents don't have coconut...I don't know..it's a strange fascination with it... :P

Anyway...so this was the second choice my significant other wanted me to wear...so although Dragon Moon didn't score any big points...I figured I might as well try this one.

Here it goes:

Wafting from uncapped bottle:I smell...coconut. Not the dried sweetened kind..no,no, no..it's all unsweetened..fresh coconut meat...it has an almost wet quality to it...and all of this is about 2 feet away from my nose with the bottle uncapped.

Initial sniff from the bottle:Still the unsweetened coconut..but I also get a whiff of the figgy...and that's about it. I like it. Different than the other BPAL scents that I have tried with coconut in it's notes.

Applied wet on skin:Hmm...here the first whiff is coconut but almost immediately the fig is front and center...so now it's almost all fig...a tad sweet the fig is...it's different than the other BPAL blends with fig in it..maybe that's the fig leaf??? Perhaps that is what lent the blend a bit of a fresh/wet quality that I registered earlier??? I don't really register the honeyed almond milk yet..or sandalwood but it's early.

Couple of minutes on skin:Interestingly enough...the figgy note is in the background...kind of MIA..and I get the coconut..but what is in the forefront a bit more is the sandalwood....way in the back I get a touch of sweetness.....it's all the way in the back and it's the honeyed almond milk..that I know.

I want to say this is very evocative of summer..but I don't mean it in "suntan lotion" or "beach" way. It kind of reminds me of warmer weather..exotic locales...but nothing screaming sun and searing heat. Darn..I wish I had a better way to put it...kind of like a an exotic locale that was quiet and tranquil..best I can do. Maybe like a shady grove in Israel??? Egypt??? I am grasping here...

Drying on skin: Sandalwood is prominent on me..and with the fresh figgy note, fig leaf, and coconut close behind...the sweetness from the honeyed almond milk is still in the back..kind of weaving in and out...

When I wore this to work a couple of days ago a co-worker came over to my desk and said I must be the one that smelled good. She smelled coconut..and then she said pineapple too...huh??? I took the compliment anyway. I don't register the pineapple...but everyones' noses are different.

Throw on this is soft to medium. I can smell this wafting around for quite some time..4+ hours..so lasting power isn't bad at all. In the hair it lasts even longer...and I get more of the coconut/honeyed milk notes.

Drydown:Sandalwood echoes with a touch of sweetness...funny...I sort of smell a touch of the pineapple my co-worker swore she smelled..but maybe this is all just my imagination... :D It's all good.

Bottom Line:Eden is definitely an early summer fragrance for me. I really enjoyed the way Beth used the coconut/fig/sandalwood notes here..a nice variation of my much beloved coconut. Since my significant other hasn't had a chance to sniff this on me, maybe I will put it on the rotation schedule for the days I come over.

Ew, coconut and almond. Two notes that make me ill. My stomach actually heaved when I took a whiff, and I'm afraid to put it on my skin. Must get it away from me.

This one was a frimp from the lab with my latest order. When I first took a sniff, I will admit that I had mixed feelings about it. I like the smell of fig, and the almond note can be pretty good depending on what it's mixed with. Coconut though? Eh... not my favorite. The smell of coconut reminds me of this really gross hair grease my mom put on my hair a couple of times as a kid that I couldn't stand, the smell of which would make me nauseous. (My stomach actually kind of lurched a little when I smelled it in the bottle because all I could smell was coconut at first, and the icky childhood memories kind of came roaring back to me.)

However, every BPAL gets at least one chance with me, so I smeared some on last night before I sat down to work on my NaNoWriMo novel. Actually it wasn't half bad with the notes all blended together. The coconut kind of settled into the background after a few minutes and got along nicely with the almonds and figs, so what the overall smell wound up reminding me of was macaroons, which I love! Not a bad scent at all. I definitely recommend it to anyone that likes macaroons and wouldn't mind smelling a little like one.

Do I need a bottle of this? Probably not. It's a relaxing scent, which I would definitely wear occasionally for bed or a day hanging around the house with the boyfriend (who loved this by the way), but I have others that fit into that category which I far prefer... Antique Lace and White Rabbit, to name just a couple. I'll definitely keep my imp and pull it out when I want a change though.

In the bottle:Honeyed fig.

Wet:Coconut mixes with the honeyed fig and starts to turn green.

Dry:A creamy incense smell with notes of lush greenery and creamy delights.Not too sweet or too herbally.

I like it!Does bring to mind imagines of a biblical garden!

In bottle: Strong almondy/coconut scent with something lighter...

Wet on skin: Marzipan-y, huh. That almost ozone note is coming out, too, what is that... Must be the fig. Hmm, interesting. Will update after wearing it a bit.

Dried down: Much softer, more coconut than anything with a liiiittle bit of fig making it more exotic. Nice, but even after a few hours, when it's a little toned down, it very sweet. Good, and interesting, especially if you like foody scents, but just a little bit much for me.

Decision: Swap.

Eden

In the imp I smell a lot of coconut. Coconut and I have a strange relationship, sometimes we love, sometimes we hate. This is love.

When it's wet on my skin, there is the same coconut smell. Something else is there in the background.. perhaps the fig?

Dry coconut is still the main thing I'm smelling, but I'm really starting to pick up on the almond scent as well.. There is that hint of sandalwood.. just a small hint, giving it a warm feeling. There isn't really any fig here now.

It reminds me of a fresh, warm, coconut cookie.

It's a very delicious scent. :P

I neglected reviewing Eden while I had it, and now I've misplaced my imp and am reviewing out of nostalgia and yearning. O Eden, return to me!

Eden smelled very, very coconut-almond on me for the first coulple of minutes from wet to starting drydown.

Originally I was sort of influenced by my roommate who claimed it smelled "country craft storeish," but a few days later while testing it again, I decided it quite suited me.

Eden is very comforting, and after the initial almond-coconut craze settles, it's mostly warm, and a little toasted. Pretty food-smelling for me, I didn't detect anything overly green. But I'm okay with that. :)

I wish I hadn't lost my imp...:P :D

ETA: I FOUND IT!! :D What an excellent birthday gift. (It had somehow rolled beneath my bed... oh happy day night!)

Edited by dorothy humbird

In the bottle: seriously toasted coconut, almond, I can't smell much under the toastedness.

Wet and drying down: I can't figure out what I'm smelling. It's like a fruity grassy flower, with toasted coconut. I can't stand the toasted coconut in this, but the rest smells really sweet and pretty.

Dry: It smells kind of like a sweet fruity pencil on me. Even if it did work on me, it's not really my style.

I like this, although it's different from what I had fantasized... I hoped it would be more lush and figgy

In the bottle, it smells like a macaroon to me (which would make sense - I looked it up: a small, chewy cookie made chiefly of egg white, crushed almonds or coconut, and sugar) :P

Wet, it's mostly the toasted coconut on me.

Dry, I get alot of honey. What keeps it from going nauseously sweet on me is a faint and occasional green undernote, which I guess is the fig leaf. Since I like when there's lots of fig, I'm going to have to search elswhere for that, e.g. Strangler Fig.

This is gorgeous occasionally though, and might be really lovely in an unscented body lotion for example!

(it reminds me a bit of l'Occitanne's honey range right now)

Edited by Browneyes

I love this scent! It's the scent taught me just how fantastic fig is. :P

In the vial, this smells very sweet - the honey and coconut come out a lot.

Wet, it's like being hit in the face with fig. I've since discovered that fig amps up really strongly for the first half hour or so, but the first time I wore this, I thought it would go straight into the swaps - fig is nice (well, great!), but it's a little overwhelming to have nothing but fig.

After it dries and settles a bit (as I said, about a half hour), it turns into this lovely sweet fig scent, with a clear coconut topping and a green/spiced scent holding it down and keeping it from being cloying. It morphs a bit, too, sometimes the coconut comes out more, sometimes a bit of almond or sandalwood instead.

I love this scent, and I always forget how much I love it. I really need to get myself a bottle of it. It's definitely in the top ten general catalog for me, and is the second best fig scent I've ever tried (Treat #2 is the best). But it's very foody, so if you're not a foody person, I do not recommend it.

Eden-

In Bottle: Ooh, milky, sweet milk and just a hint of grass.

Wet: Fig and grasses--I'm glad I know what fig smells like, after Treat #2. Just a little bit musty but we'll see what happens to that.

Dry: Very figgy. I find I like fig best when it's mixed with the orange and chocolate of Treat #2, though. It's a little cloying without.

Overall: Conditionally like.

In the imp I smelled something sharp and...cherry?

Wet, very strong icky almonds. I almost washed it off right then, but forced myself to wait and see.

As it's drying down, the sandalwood and coconut comes out and the almond calms down. Makes me think of sitting at an outdoor rest. on the beach in the evening. Something I would wear when I want a summer scent, but with a sexy twist.

I like it, though I will have to try it another couple times before deciding on a bottle.

Up close to the skin where the oil was applied, this is dusty toasted coconut and dry sandalwood. It anchors the scent and is still in the throw, which is admittedly fruitier from the fig. This is nutty and green and sweet and dry. I really, really love this blend. :P

Ick ick ick! This turns into SUPER!Fig on me, and I hate the smell of fig. My skin makes it way too cloying, but Eden is an incredibley rich, sweet scent, if you like that kind of stuff.

Mmm, green. Unfortunately, the green stage doesn't last. After a while I start getting that Dawn dishwashing soap note that made Treat #2 totally not work on me. I wonder if BPAL's fig doesn't work on me? After several hours the Dawn smell goes away, and I'm left with a yummy sweetness, but it isn't worth smelling like Dawn for so long.

In the bottle: Marzipan! :P With a touch of something else, slightly like cherry.

On me: No more marzipan. It's more generally sweet, probably the honey, but a note of something green and sharp is coming in. Got to be the fig leaf. It doesn't smell good.

The smelly green sharpness keeps sneaking in and stabbing the sweet whenever I think "I could learn to love this". I start feeling sick to my stomach and head, so after an hour give up and wash it off.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what you happens if you use a coconut blend while the coconut palms are in bloom, you live in Florida, and you're allergic to freakin' everything. It made me sad because this sounded like such a good one...

In vial: honey, cherries, and coconut.

On skin: definitely that cherry almond smell. something creamy too, maybe the coconut?

Drydown: The cherry smell is fading, and now it's more honey and milk, with notes of coconut. I don't get the sandalwood, but I do get the fig. This is nice!

I normally do not like foody scents, because I get so hungry when I smell them. But I absolutely love this scent. I get a lot of the fig, but only a hint of the coconut.

Eden was a frimp in my last Lab order. When I looked up the description, I was somewhat surprised I hadn't put this on my wishlist because I adore honey and like coconut as well. Maybe it was the fig that scared me off. But anyway...

Eden starts out with the most delicious toasted coconut note, yummy! The coconut is joined by a creamy honey with a hint of almond, still very yummy smelling. As it dries, the coconut and almond fade and the scent is honey and fig. I hadn't smelled fig before but its nice enough. Twenty minutes after applying this, its almost all gone. Boo. I'm on the fence about this because the wet stage is amazing, the dry down isn't bad, but it doesn't last long. I will keep my imp, however, and maybe get a bottle in the next few months. Eden would make a lovely summertime scent.

My favourite BPAL scent at moment! When I first opened the bottle I was mystified by it and I felt absolutely bewildered, it was however, a bit plasticy/waxy which was probably the wet coconut and leaf combo. But on, it is dark and green and viney and very fig-like which is the juiciest scent here, funnily enough I don't pick up any cherries in this like most. I love the smell of almond milk but it blends quite well so it doesn't jump out but that probably is why I find this so interesting and curious. It also lasts a very long time on and every now and then there would be a sweet honey note that jumps out when I least expected.

Utterly inspiring! I think of cool summer nights in the forest. I can't get enough of it. :P :D It's dark without being ominous. And I've had the most compliments with this one

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Ok, I need to preface this review by saying that normally I stay far, far away from any blend with honey, and never would have ordered Eden on my own. However, I got it as a frimp with my last order, and it's my policy to try everything once, because you never know. I am SO GLAD that I did!

In the imp: Sweet and salty – I definitely smell the toasted coconut and the almond milk. I don’t know where that salty smell is coming from.

Wet/Drydown: Honeyed almond milk, quite strong. I’m super intrigued by the toasted coconut note. This is a very sweet blend. Alright, some sandalwood peeking through, making this a bit woody-spicy and earthy. Where’s that lovely fig that I adore from Gomorrah? Oh! There it is! It’s not quite as dry as Gomorrah, but earthier. Now the honeyed almond milk is really taking a backseat, and the fig is making itself known – and it’s glorious! The toasted coconut is much calmer too, but it’s still there. My G-d, this is gorgeous. But it’s faded quickly into a very soft scent; I wish it had more throw.

Dry: Oh my, lovely honeyed fig! Whiffs of sandalwood and toasted coconut. Just a hint of almond milk, making the scent nice and creamy. It really does evoke The Garden of Eden.

Overall, I wish it had more throw, but my skin eats up most scents like woah. Eden is beautiful, and I'm happy that I found a blend with honey that I can actually wear.

In imp: weird, but pleasant. Very almond-y.

Wet, on skin: all I smell is almond - oh, mmm, it smells like a toasted almond drink.

Drydown: thank god it mellows out, otherwise I'd become a raging alcoholic every time I put it on. The fig notes and coconut are starting to peek through, and I think it's the sandalwood keeping it grounded. If this was Eden, then I'd kick out the unworthy, too, just to keep my little sacred garden to myself.

Dry: everything's blending into each other, still with almond upfront but nicely allowing the others to push through here and there. Guh