Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

Okay here goes nothing - this is my first review so nobody laugh or make fun....

Here is what Beth wrote in the description:

At the center of the Garden of Eden stands the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Though modern interpretations of the Bible claim that it was an apple that the Serpent of the Tree offered to Eve, it is widely believed that the true Fruit of True Knowledge was, in fact, a fig. This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

In the bottle: coconut, fig and almond fighting for your attention at first whiff.

When you first put it on it is very green and fresh and initially sweet, you can really smell the coconut and almonds, and on me, a slight hint of sweet honey. It is really a clean and pretty scent.

Dry down: (my favorite part) the sweetness dies down a bit and becomes more fresh on me and really becomes to be a real clean scent on. The greeness that you first smell in the initial stages seems to dry down and scamper away and it leaves a lovely scent in its wake. So everytime you move you get a nice clean smell hinted with coconut and your like what is that great smell, and wait - it's you!! If you don't like coconut, this one is not for you.

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being GOTTA have it LARGE bottle)

I give it a 3.5

Although I must say, with it being a 3.5, it could be one that grows on you, because I have had several compliments today with wearing it!! :P

So for the people who asked me to review I hope I helped you. (I told you I was no good at words!!)

Edited to add full description --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

Eden

Lagniappe from the Lab, with my 4/1 SiA order. Many thanks, Labbies!

Green, in a particular sort of dark, half-bitter way. The neighbors have a fig tree – I wonder if they would mind if I dropped by for a sniff some Saturday? Slowly, as though I am smelling them ripening, the fig fruit comes forward, still very much unpicked, mingling with the leafy scent; I can almost see figs swelling and drooping on the branches, darkening and getting heavier and sweeter in fast-forward.

Within a few minutes the distinctive sweetness of fig is joined by wild, dark honey dripping in the comb. This is rich and seductive, but in a languorous, heat-of-the-Summer sort of way. There’s nothing energetic about this temptation; just, if you happen to wander by in the heat of the day and step in under the shade of a tree heavy with sweet-smelling fruit and with honey dripping down the trunk from the hive built in a convenient hollow, you might just naturally dip a finger in the honey (which tastes of bitter herbs and wildflowers and all the other things wild bees at the beginning of time might get into), then, not really thinking about it much, drugged with the heat and the sinuous sound of a faint breeze slithering through the leaves of the friendly tree, seek to quench your subsequent thirst with a bite from a fat, greeny-brown, heavy, low-hanging fruit…

I don’t think I had better wear this one to work; they’ll find me staring off into space with my wrist crushed against my nose, contemplating the nature of Good and Evil. Or something. No working, though.

I get a whisper of sandalwood to go with the leafy green (that’s probably the dusty effect), a very faint whiff of sharp bitter almond smell now and then, but nothing particularly like almond milk, and the toasted coconut is so far MIA, but might emerge on the fade. Primarily this is figs and honey, on me, but really not foody – figs and honey in a Garden, with the dusty dark green smell of the leaves of the tree, and the hypnotic buzzing of bees and that sly, warm breeze whispering in the background. It’s a quiet scent, almost secret, without a lot of throw -- at least on me.

I’m pleased to say I ordered a 5ml of Eden unsniffed. I’m loving this preview courtesy of the Lab, and I’ll bet my Adam will, too. :D

ETA: Two or so hours after applying Eden it had settled down into a very Present but still not overpowering honeyed sandalwood -- dry, but not arid, and just really delightful. As I suspected it might, the coconut was peeking out now and then, and it is definitely toasted coconut; not just like any other coconut I've encountered in Beth's blends. Really lovely, and still not foody, somehow. I suspect that if I hadn't had to wash it off so I could try some of the SiA scents tonight I would have found that I still smelt of honey in the morning. :P

I'll be fascinated to see what others' chemistries will make of this protean blend.

Edited by Malista

eden.jpg

I find this to be a very full bodied scent. The first part was exceptionally green and with authority. Then sweeter notes started to pop out of the background. I am not familiar with fig so I can't say if that was one of them, but I was surprised that apple was not present at all. Eden without the cliche's, that's refreshing.

As it started to drydown, things veered off into the "plastic" area and then pulled themselves back pretty quickly. The green was retreating now and notes of almost vanilla-like coconut came to the fore. Now, if I missed the apple, I got a coconut with which to tempt Eve. Not so nonchalant just biting into a coconut, you have to bring some premeditation to bear on a hard shell like that. If we were going to Fall, it should have taken some serious doing, a coconut is a perfect choice.

Finally it dries down to a dark sweet trailing scent (perhaps this is the fig) which, as someone else remarked, is nothing if not relaxing.

If you are someone who has been yearning for the Green smell, this one's prelude is breathtaking. The rest is, well, history.

Edited by olympia301

Okies, chickies--I won't tease you any longer! :D

Thank you SO MUCH olympia301 for trading this to me! She drew the cutest lil doodle on the envelope, too :P

Prologue: I've been dying for this oil ever since the preview. DYING. I wanted it more than the clubs, 13, CT2, and everything else combined. I loved the name, and I loved the idea of honied almond milk, fig, greenery, and coconut. Moreover, it sounded like the perfect scent for my favorite rpg character, so I was putting all of my hopes into this one scent..

Wet on my skin: Fresh green leaves, slightly spicy and bitter in a way that makes them smell incredibly *real.* These are the leaves shielding the succulant figs from the sun, slightly dewy and very *alive.* This isn't grass-like greenery or Belladonna-like greenery...these are small, dark, slight rounded leaves, the leaves of a plant which focuses it's energy on the beauty of its fruit.

Early drydown: The green leaves stick around for a *long while* on me. A bit more than I'd like, I think, just because I can't wait for all the other yummy notes to arrive! Ahhh there it is...the fig...it melds beautifully and seemlessly with the leaves...and it's beatiful! I love fig...I adore Gomorrah and Intrigue, and the fig sns is one of my favorites...but this fig is different: it's exceptional. It smells EXACTLY like a ripe, fresh fig, and not like fig juice like many other BPAL fig scents smell. I can smell the texture...perfect and smooth...

Mid drydown: The honied almond milk begins coming out at this phase, swirling around the fig note. I actually don't smell any almond--just a slightly milky creaminess and the bares touch of honey, as if I'm dipping the fig into honey-milk. The leaves are still perceptable, but it's as if they're in my peripheral vision, boarding scene instead of standing in the forefront--they become easy to "tune out", actually!

Late drydown: The leaves begin to fade, along with most of the fig, and the coconut comes out. I'd say "pops out" but it doesn't--none of the notes in this blend, besides the initial leaves, "pop out"--they transition increadibly smoothly in a balletic harmony I've never experianced in a scent before. This is a very creamy coconut, totoally different from that found in Spooky or Elegba, perhaps because it blends with the honey-milk (for anyone who's wondering, the closest approximation I can make to the honey-milk note is a honey sn layered over vanilla bean sn...I hope that helps at least a few of you out there who are curious :D). This is by far my favorite of the stage...coconut-honey-milk with a drop of ripe fig...still no almond (I can hear you guys cheering in the back row...)

End of drydown: Finally, the fig completely dissapears, and a tiny hint of sandalwood comes out. Now, I was really worried about the sandalwood in this blend, as I usually find sandalwood to be way too dry for me. But this...this is the most beautiful woody scent I've ever smelled. It's incredibly subtle and smooth-textured, like the feel of soft, sanded wood, and softly sweet and grounding. The blend finally fades away a honey-milk-coconut-sandalwood--the ultimate comfort scent.

Overview: This is the most complex, evolving scent I've ever smelled. It's also the most beautifully structured. Far from getting a jumble of different notes running willy-nilly, there is a clear, logical progression that gives this blend an incredibly memorable, evocative quality. From leaves to fruit to the milk and honey of happiness and comfort, gifted to the one who leans against the silky-smooth trunk of the tree...(the coconut grounded the honey-milk's sweetness into something more earthy and not..bubbly/cloying?).

If I could change anything about this blend, it be to make the leafy stage a bit shorter, but overall...this is paradise :D and the closest thing to a liquid masterpiece I've ever smelled. It was like watching Beth paint a picture of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and inject life and soul into her creation.

ADDED July 28: I just got my 10 ml today (an amber one, too!) and it smells quite different, so here's an additional review :D

Wet on my skin, I could still smell the greens, which were just like the greens in my imp, but they weren't quite as bitter, and I could smell the fig loud and strong.

Wet on my skin, it was greenery and fig. The fig held it's own--bold and juicy and fresh and sweet. Just like smelling a fresh fig surrounded by leaves.

The leaves move to the background--still noticable, certainly, but playing second fiddle to the fig. The fig, btw, is more juicy in my bottle than in was in my imp, probably because the milk and honey and sandalwood haven't arrived yet (the fig arrives a lot earlier than the latter 3 in the bottle, while it entered *just* before the latter 3 in the imp).

The honey starts to come out, but it's married to the fig, so it doesn't go all icky on me BPAL honey usually does. Then the milk (no almond) gently folds into the honied fig. I think I detect the sandalwood in there with the milk, though it's hard to say.

The late drydown is mostly honey milk with a bit of greenish fig and a touch of sandalwood.

I like my bottle SO much more than the imp! The imp was unique in that it unfolded incredibly picturesquely and artisitcally, but I find the bottle more wearable. I had asked in the questions thread why many reviews barely mentioned what I had thought were incredibly strong greens, and now I'm sure that it's due to slight differences between batches.

Hooray for my beautiful bottle!! =D

Edited by joseybird

I was enchanted with Eden at first sniff. I expected this to be a foodie scent... with sweet coconut and honey. It's not foodie on me at all, but it's something much much better.

At first it is just wonderful green leaves. It reminds me of climbing trees in the summer. How you can crush a handful of plump healthy leaves and they will leave a wet sappy mark on your hands. Eden smells of that vibrant green sap.

After about fifteen minutes the toasted coconut comes into play. It smells like I've sprinkled coconut over some leaves and mixed them together. It still isn't tropical or foodie smelling on me though. It's surprisingly fresh and vibrant.

An hour later the green leaves are fading (though they are still very much present) and a milky almond note is coming out more. The fragrance is still very soft and clean. It's not too sweet or foodie at all, for those who were worried about that. It's an amazing light fragrance that makes me think of summer. It lasts for a good four hours on me, the fig never really comes out and the honey makes a brief/light appearance at the end.

In conclusion, I regret not buying a 5 ml of Eden... but there's always my next order. :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Oh. My. God. Just....oh my god. This is my new favorite scent, hands down.

In the imp, this is fresh, bright green leaves. Literally smells like sniffing a tree with new growth on it. Amazing.

The second it hits my skin, it's warm, sweet toasted coconut. Not fresh coconut, not coconut like any other blend I've smelled, but toasted coconut. Did I already say amazing? The honeyed almond milk is a lush, rich layer that weaves in and out of the coconut and soft sandalwood.

After wearing it a while, the fig comes out, but it's not like BPAL's other figgy scents, which tend to be very strong. Don't get me wrong, I love the other figgy blends, some of my favorite things! But this is a new fig, a new fruit in this brand new garden of wood and honey and milk.

I'm so glad my next order has a 5 ml of this in it.

Eden starts out as strong, waxy, slightly bitter dark green leaves -- must be the fig leaf -- with something sweet (honey?) behind it that makes for an odd combination. I usually like leaf smells, but there's something weird about this one, so I'm not crazy about this part.

Then, after a while, suddenly the fig (definitely a juicy fig, not a dried one) and toasted coconut and milk jump out and it becomes rich and warm and rounded/fruity, like a dessert... figs in warm honey milk with coconut on top. It stays that way the rest of the time.

The end phase is nice, but I don't know if I love it overall enough to keep it.

ETA: I decided it was too tropical-fruity for me...the drydown is yummy but it felt wrong on me, so I swapped it to a very happy new forumite.

Edited by isyche

In the bottle this is creamy red and bitter green.

Wet: I'm getting fresh leaves and the almond milk. There's definitely an almond tinge to it, but it isn't almondy (I'm making great sense today!). It's making the blend a bit bitter and bakery-ish.

Dry: As it dries the *toasted* coconut starts to come out. I'm actually surprised that the fig has been so shy. Oh wait there she is! It's staying a bit bitter, but has also gotten warm, rich and fruity. The sandalwood is definitely grounding everthing, not very noticeable, just warm and a little earthy.

Eden is a bit different than I expected. The coconut isn't terribly prominent, it's more of an accent note. I notice the leaf and almond milk the most. It does smell lovely, but not quite the figgy blend I was expecting. My overall impression is that it's an alive, bright, vibrant scent. I'm glad I have a big bottle.

I wanted to add that after about an hour on, it seriously reminds me of Arkham Revisted and The Living Flame.

Edited by Rheliwen

eden is everything i imagined it would be and more! i didn't expect it to be so fresh and so green. . . especially in the early dry down, it is green and coconut. almost a single note coconut if not for the green scent.

as it dries, it becomes heady and sweet. coconut, amber and that sweet note that i get from chaste moon and milk moon. then it is almonds. . . yum! soft almonds, not the bitter kind. the sandalwood is there, but blended in so subtly that it is hard to pick out. i can't find the fig.

it is a surprisingly cool blend, although i don't get any of the typically "cool" notes (mint, eucalyptus, etc). this is a tropical cool, like the salt breeze blowing in off the blue sea around a tropical island. edged with a promise of an afternoon rain. it really is delightful!

I was so looking forward to Eden and even more after reading joseybird's review, I was almost drooling for this scent :P . And it unfolded on me very much the way it did on her, with the fresh, green fig leaves first. They stuck around for quite a while, a good 20 minutes and I find I really love that scent. But then the actual fruit of the fig joined in and things started to go bad. My skin doesn't do too well with a lot of fruity notes and fig is an iffy one. I think Hetairae is the only figgy oil that has worked on me so far and that has the patchouli to reign in the sweetness of the fig. But in Eden, the fig is way too strong and it lasts and lasts. It took hours before I got any coconut at all. It's very pretty, a warm, toasted coconut, but by the time I can smell it the whole scent is almost gone. I really can't detect any honeyed almond milk although I may be getting some of the honey mixed up with the sweetness of the figs.

I'm glad I tried this though because it is a beautiful interpretation of The Garden of Eden. I'll bet it smells just fabulous on people who do well with fruit notes and it's an incredibly complex scent, what a work of art :D . And oh, I found out I like fig leaves, I would love to try them in a predominantly green perfume, with no fruit notes.

Eden

Strong, sweet, sharp and very familiar.

The coconut is dominating, but competing with the fig and almond milk. This is such an odd and interesting combination.

I expected it to be smooth and milky, and instead the fig leaf keeps jumping out and whacking me. I didn't expect this to be so green - but it really is.

I like it - and I don't know what to make of it.

This is such a strong coconut, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better on a guy.

Wow, I just figured out why it smells familiar. This smells to me just like a sweet, coconuty version of Samhain!

I went back to my bottle of Samhain just to be sure and - yup - that's it.

I know there's nothing in the descriptions that make those two sound connected, but I swear I'm smelling coconut-enhanced Samhain. (I'd be really curious to hear if anyone else gets that, or if it's just my skin chemistry.)

Edited by OdetteOdile

Okay, I meant to order a 10 ml of this, but I messed up on my order and ordered 2. When I saw what I did, I thought....that's okay, I'll sell it. Nope....not gonna happen. I ADORE this scent. Straight into my top ten it goes. The only criticism I have is that there is a weird top note that others have noted. It's like a bitter, green note. I have no idea what it is, but when it disappears (about 10-13 minutes), it leaves the most gorgeous scent. This is a honeyed milk scent on me with a touch of fig leaf. The coconut is barely noticeable on me, as is the sandalwood (although I went to bed before it totally dried down). I think the sandalwood only grounds the scent.........although I'll have to wear this for an entire day and see if the sandalwood appears later in the scent.

in the bottle: Interesting it is very green with a touch of coconut and slight slight fruit

on wet: Green and a touch of fruit (very slight touch) Quickly there comes that coconut and I mean fresh cracked opened coconut with the scent of the the milk, meat and husk. The fig is being slightly hinted at but hasn't really jumped out. Sniffing deep briefly I started to reconize the sandalwood under the other scents. But oddly I briefly get a floral as well but it may be the fig leaf or something else.

Drydown: Yippee this is the stage that makes me go from being really sure this scent is going to the swap pile to saying heck no I think I LOVE you!!!! Suddenly this is a slightly honeyed, coconut, fig (not a heavy fruit scent). This scent reminds me of summers of my past. I am not sure why but there is just something there. It is a natural light sweet, warm, and beautiful scent.

Overall: This one does not disappoint AT ALL!!!! It seems like many of us are getting that odd green scent but be prepared it takes very little time to get past it and whats hidden under that fig leaf is well worth the wait !!!!

Edited by blood*rose*flowers

in the bottle:green leafy spiciness. the grennery almost has a bite.

wet: sharp greenery must be the fig leaf, it reminds me of one of those jungle plants in cartoons that grab you and try to choke you

much later the greenery decides to leave me be. it becomes a ultra soft, almond milk and coconut w. a very light breath of fig. this is fresh, light, next to the skin fragrance

Wow is this one a complex ride.

Sweet almond, milk, and coconut out of the bottle, like the first, gentle and innocent steps into the garden. This starts sweet, and warm and almost tropically decadent. Rounding the corner you find a fig tree in bloom, sweet fruits and the rich green scent of the leaves make this much earthier and green in the middle stages, almost sharp with an undercurrent of warm gorgeous fig. The final stages of this really go back to that almond and coconut phase.

Innocence to knowledge and the bitter sweet fall afterward.

Gorges, exotic, different, a keeper.

Oh, I am so in love with this. I don't get all the complex mutations that other reviewers have gotten - this goes on me like sweet almond milk and coconut, with some fresh green sharpening the edges. Then slowly the honey creeps out with what I think is the fig. No sandalwood, though. It stays as that persistent warm green almond milk/coconut, and it has great throw as well. Very aptly named - this is the lush green scent of an innocent paradise. Definitely a big bottle.

Eden is rather aggressively green when wet, which I assume is due to the fig leaves. Fortunately, the sweetness that is apparent underneath the fig leaves soon pushes the greenery away and blooms into a luscious, creamy fig scent. Hints of almond, toasted coconut and sandalwood eventually peek through and round out Eden nicely. I think that the sandalwood in particular keeps Eden from veering into the sickly sweet zone.

Eden goes on the list of scents that I don't want to be without, ever (in fact, I've already set up a swap for a 5 ml bottle) and may be a new entry into my Top Twenty list.

in bottle

OMG, like a combination of Snow White and Heataire. Just heavenly.

on

figs, and something fresh and green and pristine. So natural with just a hint of lushious fig underneath. Very appropriate.

dry

Oh no. Now it's a celery fiesta. Celery, with some smoke. Maybe the celery is being grilled I'm not sure.

scent category

green,aqua,fruity

throw

average

purchase again

Yes! A 10ml. No, not anymore, it doesn't dry well on me at all.

rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Summary

At the point before my chemistry turned it ever southward, I would've bought a 10ml or two of this, that's how good it was when first applied. I am so bummed that that glorious scent turned to celery because is was absolute perfection before that. I smite my body chemistry!

Oh dear. I was so confused. I knew this would be a fab scent on me, but I mistook it for The Hanging Gardens at first. Upon first sniff, it's very fruity - hence me thinking about the Gardens. and I was all excited that a fruit blend worked... then I pop in and read the description - ooooh, duhhhhh! :D

So, fig adores me. And at first this is all juicy wonderful figgy green. It's even a little crisp. As it dries, it gets creamy and lucious - such a change! Coconut does pop up, but not in a tanning lotion way at all. It's hardly there, just adds to the cream.

Honey has gone rancid on me many times before, but this stays lovely.

Amazing scent, I'm totally in love. This will be a bottle purchase. God, it soooooo good. :P

Wet on me this was a gentle waft of coconut backed up by green unripened fruit (presumably the figs although if I was forced to name it I would have said peach). As it dries the greeness changes to that of the fig leaves, it smells like your hands do after a couple of hours cutting back plants in the garden. After about an hour there is the creaminess and sweetness of the honeyed almond milk and the spiciness of the sandalwood taking predominance. This really is a beautiful blend and I can see why people are drooling over it, but I don't think it's for me.

Edited by Ajila

This is exactly what I think Faulkner meant when he said that Caddy Compson smelled like trees. Add in all of the Eve/Eden imagery, and this is perfect for her.

This is green at first, like big, fresh, waxy leaves. It gives way to a clean but lush fig with a slightly vanille drydown. This is perfection-- a great lazy weekend scent, and I will be ordering a bottle.

Eden

In the imp: very very green, with a hint of honeyed sweetness hiding in the undergrowth.

Wet on skin: still green, that must be the fig leaves. It's a very fresh, almost citrus like green. Quite astringent, but there's a sweetness there, hiding behind all the green.

Dry on skin: the astringent greenness fades slowly, it's like walking through a thick mass of tropical plants into a clearing and then…honey. Nutty honey. Yum. I can smell what must be the almond milk (it's not overtly almondy at all, but it is creamy) and a hint of toasted coconut, sweetened by honey. This is like a paradise garden filled with exotic plants and fig trees (I can smell the green fig leaves here, as well as the fruit). It brings beautiful images to mind of such a garden.

After a while: the fig note remains, yet it mellows out and mingles nicely with the gorgeous honey note-and it's one of the loveliest honey scents, mixed with soft almond milk and coconut. I think I can smell the sandalwood underneath it all.

This wonderful creamy honeyed coconut-almond-sandalwood note gets better and better as time passes. There's something so comforting about it.

After an hour or so, the drydown is delicious! It smells like milk and honey! It smells like a honey and almond milk shower gel I once used, but I think I can make out sandalwood as well.

Verdict: I love the way many Wanderlust scents are like olfactory journeys. This is another one. This is like walking through a lush, green garden, first through a thick mass of green leaves, and out into a clearing where the sunlight illuminates the true glory of the garden. I can smell figs (not just fruit, but the leaves too) and then I smell the honey, almond milk and coconut, a delicious combination. There's a tangy green aspect to the scent, and a sweet, nutty, smooth undertone. It's a fascinating and mesmerising scent that is addictive to sniff. I would have preferred it if the green/fig leaf scent was a bit more toned down, but this does tone down to reveal the truly lovely honeyed nuts and sandalwood. I love this scent.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

First Impression: The ultimate fig perfume.

Second Impression: How can rich coconut and deep figs smell so green? I don't know, but it's an amazing combination. It's all been said before, this scent is dynamite.

Final Analysis: This is the scent of paradise. A BPAL classic.

when I dabbed a little of this on there was something in it that I just don't like - reminding me of hesparides - a kind of rotten, burnt smell. I felt sad that I wouldn't like it when everyone else seems to love it...

however when it dries down it's lovely. creamy, figgy and the almonds are not too strong. it's not too coconutty. it's beautifully warm.

I'll be giving it a few more goes for sure.

All I want to know is, where is this elusive figfigfig everyone's been talking about? I've broken the half hour mark and Eden is insisting on staying green.

The onslaught when wet is a waxy green canopy - very sharp herbal, with a reasonable amount of throw that hangs around for a good twenty minutes or so before a fig or two peek out of the canopy.

Oh... wait a second, there we go (after 45 minutes). Figfigfigfigfigfig. Bit of a sweet almond base (quite nice), though it took a while to cream up a bit. Very nice evolution on this scent, very deceptive as well - definately worth a journey into the forbidden garden. Contemplating a 5ml because its so unique in its evolution - not nearly enough throw though. Will do a few more demos over the course of a month to establish whether or not I'm on a whim or not. Towards the end (I'm noticing now) there's just the barest hint of coconut - toasted at that. Quite nice, really - still with a bit of the leaves in the background, though not as sharp. Definately a consideration for the next huge catalogue order I put through.

Edited by Medici