Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

… This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

This was a frimp from the Lab, and is now just over nine months old.

In the imp. Primarily almond, with a little fig in the background. Very sweet.

Wet: Almond. I like almond, but I hope it doesn’t turn to the dreaded “baked goods” smell.

Dry: The fig emerges. It’s ripe and juicy. Eden smells like a delicious fig-and-almond dessert. Why have I worn this only once in nine months? Silly me. I never do smell coconut, and I can’t really distinguish the sandalwood, but I think it’s what grounds the blend.

Eden would be fantastic as a candle or a room scent, as well. It does fade fairly quickly; by the end of the day, I can barely distinguish it on my skin.

I got this as a freebie when I ordered hair gloss, so I had to try it out. "It's free. So what if it's got coconut in it? How bad could it be?"

Well, at least when it goes on my skin, it's pure sickly-sweet coconut. After scrubbing at it with Purell, it's a nice toasted coconut (I say "nice" because I can see how it would appeal to somebody who doesn't despise coconut as much as I do).

But in any case, sadly, it's not for me.

Eden is a pretty scent. I've worn it for a couple days now.

It's really light and has zero throw - I legit can't smell it unless I'm actually sniffing my skin.

Edited by icecreamcone

I had high hopes for this scent, but as I'm finding out, I amp fig, which isn't horrible, it's just not one of my favorite notes (personal preference). Anyway, this blend starts off amazing! It's all coconuty-almond marzipan goodness. I seriously want to eat my arm. Then the fig starts to come forward, and it's all down hill from there, as the blend just starts to become more and more about the fig, and less and less about anything else. Ah well. The wet stage is awesome and I'll probably just keep my imp for those glorious 10 minutes of scent sensation. :lol:

184: EDEN
GC: Wanderlust
"This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood."

Received from lab 13 December 2013.

In bottle: This is really nice in the imp - milky and toasty from the almond milk, coconut, and sandalwood, with a hint of fruity fig.

Wet: The fig is way in the background behind the coconut, sandal and almond milk. This is sweet, but not too sweet thanks to the fig leaf.

Dry down: There's something off here - I think I'd like this better if it were more creamy/milky or if it were more richly fruity. It's balanced a bit too well - it needs to tip more to one side or the other.

Dry: The fig has really come out in the last 40 minutes or so and it's much more fruity now, but the almond, coconut, and sandalwood are still noticeably there. This reminds me a bit of Intrigue. I like this, but I think that a bottle isn't a top priority for me. Still, very pretty and nicely blended.

3.5/5

it smells like the most delicious dessert in the bottle: honey, green figs, almond milk, a touch of coconut. too bad my skin hates coconut... when worn, it's like almond-scented plastic coconut. :(

In the imp: Ahhhhh! Exactly as described by the lab & this is GORGEOUS!

Wet on skin: This is very quickly turning into a fig, coconut, almond & honey cake! There's a little sandalwood & fig leaf in the background, but they're mostly just adding some depth to the scent. This is a cake. A very yummy cake!

Dry on skin: Sweeeet, almost floral (in a potpourri way... maybe that's the fig leaves?) sandalwood... covered in the fig cake from before, haha! Far less foody than it was, but still a lovely scent!

After a few hours: Similar to dry - Sandalwoody-fig-cake, haha! A bit weird, but very nice! Warm & comforting!

Verdict: A great food scent for when I want something distinctly foody, yet not too intense or overpowering. A good "lazy day" scent that would also work as a baking-day scent!

This smells really good, mostly fig and milk. Kindof a sleeper scent, one that sits in your imp box until you rediscover it one day. Long lasting, original.

In the imp: Yup, that's fig, strong as can be. Unfortunately, I HATE figs (an encounter with a wasp-filled fig tree in kindergarten pretty much sealed their fate with me), dislike coconut (which always smells like disappointing birthday cake to me), and generally don't play well with the Lab's honey note. But I received this as a frimp, and as is well known, the Lab's psychics are top-notch (I was flat-out terrified to try Azathoth, which I also got as a frimp, but is now one of my favorites), so here goes. FOR SCIENCE!

Wet: A fruity-almond sweetness that I can see plenty of people loving, but I find rather cloying. As time goes on, it veers increasingly foody, in a honeyed-milk sort of way. Still far too sweet for me, but gourmands line up, we have a winner! That is, gourmands who don't have a deep-seated hatred of figs, because the rich, fruity, slightly vegetal scent of figs is still very noticeable.

Dry: Pretty much the same honey-milk scent, increasingly faint until it vanishes altogether after ~7 hours.

In the imp and while wet Eden smells strongly of toasted coconut and almonds. What's weird: to my nose it kind of smells like cornflakes. :huh:

As it begins to dry it reminds me of more woodier Dana O'shee. Then juicy green fig emerges and adds more depth. I got the imp because of almond milk and coconut sounded so tempting but actually I like it much more after the nuttiness fades and fig and sandalwood come forward. Eden has a relaxing vibe and it's very reminiscent of its name.

I got my imp last summer, liked it but was not sure if I needed a bottle. My only complaints were the cornflake phase and that it faded really fast. I don't know if it's because of aging or colder weather but now it seems to have much better staying power. I think I actually may need a bottle. :)

Edited by maija

I received an imp of this from the lab.

In the bottle: smells a bit like apple

Wet: I smell Rooibos tea. Kinda like a sweet, nutty, with a hint of vanilla rooibos. It's pretty unmistakably if you drink a lot of tea. I think I don't know enough about fresh figs to identify that smell.

Drydown: Some of the coconut peeks out. It ends up reminding me a bit of Perversion. I guess I amp more of the foodie smells, because I'm not smelling a lot of the green that others describe. Overall, it's a nice, sweet scent that doesn't have a lot of throw.

I got this as a frimp in a previous order that I've only finally started putting as part of a rotation of scents. I'm actually liking it for work for last days of the work week where I'm getting bored of smelling food so much. This is very foody in a generalized way.

This starts off as a coconut cream scent on me. It wants to turn into suntan lotion but just doesn't have the oomph to do it. The cream is the almond, I'm sure, since some other almond scents give me this same scent.

After a while, I lose the coconut and get a chewy feel to the cream. I think that's the Sandalwood doing it. Thank goodness it doesn't get stronger on me like sandalwood likes to do.

I'm sad that I don't get fig in this, but really enjoy the phases that it goes through. I'm still not sure about a bottle, simply because I only find myself reaching for it when im at the end of a long week. Perhaps if I run out and find myself wanting it I will get one then.

Eden just smells like honey on me--straight, golden honey poured from the jar--not at all like what the Lab's typical "honey" note of doom smells like on me. Pretty, but not for me.

Wet - Fruity honey with almond and coconut.

Dry - This is all fruity honey with a bit of green and musk when sniffed close up.

I'm iffy with this blend. I love honey but I'm not sure if I like THIS honey.

Wet: Sweet and creamy, a bit nutty.

Dry: Fig. Creamy fig. I amp fig, which is usually fine by me, because I adore it. But this time I wanted coconut!! I have yet to find a blend that a real "tropical coconut" on me. oh well. Anyway, this is all juicy gorgeous fig on me. Beautiful, just not what I had hoped for.

In the imp: Almond and fig, followed by the toasted coconut.

Wet: Same. The almond note is the strongest. The fig and coconut notes are present, but they are not nearly as strong as the almond note. Then, the almond note calms down and becomes the honeyed almond milk it was meant to be (as opposed to straight up almond). I'm able to smell the fig and toasted coconut notes better now that the almond has calmed down. The fig note ends up becoming a lot more prominent as the scent starts drying down. The coconut note is getting stronger as well.

Dry: Fiiiiiig, sweetened by the toasted coconut and honeyed almond milk notes. The sandalwood note is hiding in the background.

Verdict: This is a nice, creamy fig scent, but I don't need more of it.

In the imp and on me, straight almond. Actually, it's sweeter and creamier than just almond, so more like almond jelly (the Chinese dessert!) at this point. I layered this with Obatala and keep huffing my wrist.

Fig, coconut, slightly other-fruity and sweet and not cloying (which sweets tend to do on me). At first I wondered if it'd be close to Horn of Plenty (which smells like a slightly fruity marzipan, mmmm!!), but in fact I think it's replaced HoP in that realm for me :)

Eden is comforting, relaxed, and smells like lounging around in a lush jungle, picking fruits off trees and eating them in your birthday suit. I really like this one!

Edited by meadow_fabulous

In the imp: This smells like unfiltered wildflower honey!

Wet on my skin: The whole time this is wet, it's almost a wildflower honey single note.

Dry: Ahhh, there's the fig! I love the Lab's fig note, and I got really excited when I searched the notes on this and found it had fig in it! I was a bit worried at first, when it was nothing but honey, but now it's actually very lovely. This is honeyed figs with a hint of creamy almond and just a touch of coconut. I'm not really detecting sandalwood, but I think there might be a wisp of it very close to the skin, at the end of a deep inhalation. This is a beautiful scent, and I'm so glad the Lab sent it to me!

Bottle: Heavily honeyed almond cream and darkly toasted coconut.

Wet on me: Honeyed almond cream, toasted coconut and vanilla fig.

Dry on me: Honeyed almond cream, with coconut and fig fading. Later it simplifies to a sweet but plain almond cream, and stays that way for hours.

Smooth, steady, summery. All cream and brown tones. I wish the coconut and fig stayed in play a bit longer, but I was looking for a nice almond and found it. My money is going to fly out of my wallet of its own volition. I like this, but it gets close to foody for me, so I'll wear it situationally. Mostly that situation is the beach.

I also put this on two coworkers. On one it went sweeter, on the other it went nuttier, and on me it's comparatively amaretto. It must be my healthy diet. ;-)

Frimp from lab! ;)

i

wet: yummy honeyed almond milk with coconut! the fig hiding in the background

Dry: faint coconut, the fig is the main player. :)

very lovely blend! :cool:

Oh wow, right on first sniff this definitely has that seeming innocence and then smacks you with a bite of spice - it really captures the innocence of the garden with the tree of evil. How does Beth do it?! I am partial to almond milk and coconut scents, and at first it was mainly those two with a touch of fig then the sandalwood immediately jumped in, and the honey part of the almond milk comes out more on the drydown. It has a foodie quality to it like baklava or something similar.

Holy strong almond and coconut batman!
A 'lil reluctant to put this on my skin, but seeing how there is a lovely fig-note in there I'm giving it a try... Actually, it goes a bit milky on me- that, and the almond and coconut turn into something woodsy.
Green, sweet, exotic with a soft sandalwood complimenting it. Very different from in the imp which is great. It's a little too soft for me though, and I don't think this'll live on for long on me. Very interesting! :D

Eden is a frimp I recently got in my first BPAL order and is one of the last I need to review (only Tavern of Hell left after this). Wasn't sure what to think of this one with the notes it has.

In Bottle: I can smell the toasted coconut hardcore. Maybe also the honeyed almond milk and fig? Not sure how I feel about it. It smells like a bit much in the bottle.

Wet on Skin: I think the fig and sandalwood are coming forward more. It's sort of a fruity and woodsy/musky scent when it's had a moment to settle on my skin. I still smell a little of that nuttiness from the almond, I think. I feel the sandalwood is starting to take center stage for me, but there's still some sweetness in there (maybe the honey and/or fig). This might be a morpher. I feel like notes occasionally swap intensity.

Approx. 1 Hour Later: By this point, everything's sort of evened out and softened. I feel like I can catch most of the notes, but it all comes together a bit potpourri-ish. I feel like it may turn out quick-fading as well.

------

Another one that's not my style, unfortunately. I have the feeling Tavern of Hell is going to be less likely of a hit, from purely a notes standpoint, but maybe I'm jinxing myself and it will be great.

I think my favorite so far of all of the imps and frimps I've gotten to try is The Dormouse; its been growing on me.