Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

... This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

wow--I like this a lot. It smells like Jai Mahal Villainess scrub on me somewhat..or else they combine together very nicely. It isn't my normal preference--I feel more grown-up with this perfume. It smells spicy, like Bastet and such but I can actually wear it without a headache imploding....and a teensy tinsy bit fruity, I guess....I don't smell almonds or coconut or whatever though (thank goodness, because BPAL coconut smells like plastic on me)...I think this is a really well blended scent. I might want a bottle of this someday, when I want to feel like a lady:)

I usually don't like foody scents, so I have no idea why I ordered an imp of Eden except for the name (which will be my last name in the near future, so I guess I had to try it and SEE).

In the bottle: Sweeeeeeeeet. Fig and coconut all the way.

Wet: Still super sweet, honeyed fig. I can smell the almond and coconut a bit now. I knew this would be too sweet for me. I feel like a dessert.

Dry: Quite a bit better. The sandalwood has come in and neutralized some of the sweetness of everything else, and every now and then I can detect a tiny hint of green from the fig leaf. I do like it as a smell in general, and I will keep my imp. I wouldn't wear this to the office. Maybe something to sniff on a day off, or when I'm feeling like being snuggly with a book.

Forgive me, for I am not very good at describing notes but...

When first applied, Eden smells milky, sharp and green. After it dries, Eden becomes a soft, toasty coconut that I really love. Coconut is one of my favorite notes, so I am really thinking about getting a bottle of this!

In Vial: Mostly Honey

Wet: Still mostly honey. As it dries I am beginning to smell the coconut.

Drydown: This is mostly all honey on me. The coconut has faded. I think I get a hint of fig or either the sandlewood in the background. It is hard to tell. I did not get any almond.

How have I not reviewed Eden yet?! It's without a doubt my favorite GC scent ever. Eden is just so lush and decadent, not to mention pretty darn sexy. It's the perfect amount of sandalwood topped with creamy coconut and drizzled with almond. From time to time the fig will drift in and out. Mmm...this is pure paradise right here. I don't think it's the most sophisticated scent in the BPAL catalogue, but there's something so fulfilling about this one. It also has excellent throw.

5/5

wet: very almondy, almost creamy, - with a hint of coconut. i think I can smell fig in the background

dry: I was hoping the fig would stick around more, but all I'm getting is coconut. It's not bad, but a bit too much like suntan lotion. I might break this out in the summer sometime.

ETA: I think my nose is confused. After trying this again, I do get a strong, foody fig. To me, this has a similar smell to Black Pearl, so maybe that's why I was thinking "coconut!".

Edited by kelp

In Bottle: Yummy. Almond, fig, cocoanut cookie. Seriously, I’d eat this in a heartbeat if I could eat figs still. Wet: The sandlewood comes up on my skin, but not that strongly. The fig is strongest here, but blends beautifully with the other elements. The sandlewood turns it more into perfume and less like food, though it is still fairly foody. I really like this, though it’s not something I’d likely think to wear if I had a bottle, as it doesn’t smell like me. It has a wonderful, dry middle eastern wilderness effect, that would be glorious on the right woman. Dry: Soft, but pleasant enough, much along the lines previously described..

in the imp: almond and coconut. yummy! :P

wet on skin: the almond becomes more rounded...it reminds me of marzipan and almond cookies. :D

dry down: the fig is there, but only in the farthest back ground. the coconut has gotten *much* stronger and the effect is nothing less than totally delicious!

in all: oh yes, i will need a big ole bottle of this!

:D

I guess I'm one of the few people that don't love this one. In the bottle and wet on my skin it was like the scent equivalent of a loud party. A bunch of different things trying to compete with each other. Luckily, it settled down. Unfortunately, it settled into baby powder. I'll give it another shot in the locket before swapping or gifting it away though.

Imp: This smells very, very familiar to me. I think I'm getting the almond the most with a bit of the sandalwood in the background. A bit sweet.

Wet: It goes kind of musky on me right away. I think that's the fault of the fig but it's still a pleasant enough scent.

Dry: Surprisingly nice. A sweet vanilla/amber scent emerges and it's nicely tempered by the roundness of the almond, fig and coconut.

Throw: The baby bear of throws--just right.

Overall: I wish I could say what this reminds me of. It's lovely, but it definitely smells like a couple of my other scents have been rutting.

Edited by paperrose

Expectations: Smooth and lightly sweet.

In vial: Ugh! Musty, rotting fruit.

On skin, wet: Not quite as powerful and gross, but if this is what a fig tree would smell like I don't want any in my yard. I do eat figs, but maybe the leaf smell disagrees with me.

On skin, dry: I missed this stage--got distracted by some knitting.

After time: An hour later I remembered to come back to this. Actually, I was reminded a bit sooner by the incredibly strong throw Eden has, and the fact that it was rather pleasant. Of course, as soon as I took a closer sniff to describe its current scent, I can barely smell anything. But it's rich and warm, with a tiny bit of sweetness, and doesn't smell rotten at all. Still a tiny bit musty though.

Conclusion: I don't want to wear this regularly, but it's reminding me of something that I can't put my finger on yet, so I might give it another try later.

First sniff from imp: kind of a pungent coconut milk type scent.

On Skin: slightly "off" coconut milk that reminds me of the lotion variety. There's something a bit greasy and nose-turningly nutty about this scent. The main player, sadly, does not smell anything like fresh coconut (which I could probably wear if properly tamed by a host of other notes), but rather of the bpal coconut milk note which I cannot wear at all. The fig is too faint to make this one salvagable (but there is a tiny hint of figginess in the background that is probably the nicest note I can pick out), and the nuttiness which curves the scent is, for lack of a better term, slightly sickening.

Verdict: Minimal fig influence, and the coconut turned bad on my skin. Actually, looking back at the description's notes, it could have very well been the honeyed almond milk that did weird kinky things to his coconut neighbor. One of my skin's natural enemies is the almond, and there was a certain nuttiness to the scent. And thusly, I remember why I was avoiding trying this one.

One Word Rating: Unpleasant.

My apologies that I couldn't give a more positive review. :P

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Very almondy to me. The fig is also prominent. If you really like fig or almond, this would be a terrific scent. A little too foody for me.

When I first opened up my imp of Eden, I was a little worried. Straight out of the imp and wet on my skin, it was in-your-face fig and honey, which was way too foody for me. Luckily, after about 5 minutes or so, it dries down into this awesome milky/spicy/creamy scent that I adore. Seriously, I can't stop sniffing this! It doesn't have much throw, but I'm mostly wearing it for me anyways! This is going straight to my bottle list. :P

Mmm, coconuts. I love coconuts.

In vial: Overwhelmingly toasted coconut. Like coconut macaroons. Very sweet and syrupy. At least it's delicious coconut, and not cheap suntan oil coconut.

Wet: This is just so sickly sweet, like I drenched myself in honey and dusted myself in toasted coconut. Tar and feathering of a different kind. It just feels "sticky" to me, like sticky figs, or sticky buns or sticky treacle and all manner of sticky, sugar-filled cavity-causing foods. It's cloying.

Dry: The sweetness seems to have calmed down, and though I still smell a hint of coconut, it's not overwhelming or unpleasant. It's smooth and soft. Comforting. Perhaps it the warm milk that I'm detecting. It's better now, makes me just smell sweet and yummy.

Overall: Too sweet. While I like sweet, and I like coconut, I don't like how coconut is so strong on me. Everytime I wear something coconut-y, my skin just screams coconut and nothing else. People smell me coming 100 yards away and coconut is something you either love or you hate, so half of the people screw up their nose at me and go "Er, you smell funny". While I do enjoy how it dries down, this would probably be a bad perfume for me.

Edited by trollgirl

Got this as a frimp tossed in on a sale:

Bottle: Almost a very sharp cherry scent that I'm also picking out as almond extract. Also sweet like a cake batter.

Wet on skin: Still that sharp Cherry/almond extract scent. Almost overpowering.

Drying: Lighter on the almond extract/cherry thing..still very sweet....hints of it turning to powder?

All the way dry and disappearing. Total baby powder on my. While I love baby powder I wanted to smell mysterious today. it's a very sweet baby powder.

I've had 2 imps turn to powder on me 2 days in a row. Perhaps because it's heading to that time of the month and I should try them after...who knows.

I'm thinking tho that this one will go in the box to be sent along when I start trading to someone who will love it more than I.

In the imp - mmmmm, fig, almond, honey. Delicious.

On my skin, mmm, it's rich - fig, almond, the honey is stronger, and there's a hint of coconut.

When it dries, it smells very rich, very thick - fig, honey - very sexy. Nice!

I regretted putting this on my skin just as I did. I didn't read the scent description, ignored the sweet tinge of the imp and went ahead anyway. HONEY! Noooooo!

Honey, milk and fig. It's sweet, gentle and STRONG. THIS is the one that's been making my entire imp-box smell like honey.

I find this to be quite similar to Alice. The honey has the same sort of temper on me - the one that gives me a headache and makes me quite ill. This is a shame because the fig is quite nice and this blend is one that I could love. I shall hang onto it with the hopes that this honey thing is just a phase, but I shan't hold my breath.

Conclusion: Into the 'Wear this at some point in the next month to ensure it's being kept' box.

5/10 (Doom-honey)

Very sweet. I can smell just about every note that's listed. It's very creamy and comforting. It reminds me a little bit of shea butter, but more complex than that. Not sure just yet if it's a keeper. It's something I sort of wish I could eat instead of wear, lol.

Testing the last of my imp, because I have a bottle on the way...

This is perfect for summer. It has all the lush fruity sweetness I crave in the heat, while being light enough to be fresh instead of cloying. I have so many deep and dark or intensely sweet scents, that this is a very welcome bit of variety.

In the imp: Mostly almond and coconut milk- very foody in this stage.

Wet: Creamy fruit- I detect more coconut than fig.

Dry: The fig leaves and sandalwood emerge: tempering the sweetness with the green stage others have mentioned. The mix of green and cream is punctuated by little drops of purple, and now I want to paint this blend... :P

This smelled so overwhelmingly, sickeningly sweet in the bottle that I almost didn't try it on. Smelled like straight foody almond extract.

I'm glad I braved it anyway! After it dries it smells less like sweet almond and more like milky honey. It's very soft and pretty, doesn't have a lot of throw but is a soothing skin scent. I may purchase a larger bottle of this, I'm not really sure yet. Will definitely use up the imp though.

Edited to add: I've tried this one on a couple of times and as it starts fading away, it starts to smell like fizzy cola! Usually I hate to smell of anything candyish or foody but this isn't straight Coca Cola, and I find it pretty nice actually.

Edited by goblinshark

oh wow. 9.5/10 for sure. It smells heavenly... I strongly get the fig, coconut, and almond for about 15 minutes, then it fades. But still, I love this. Considering a huge bottle of it. :P

Smells of sweet honey with a touch of fruit, as it dries I start to get the coconut, but its like coconut milk and honey mmmm this is wonderful so far!

After awhile this doesn’t change much, I get a little more of a fruit scent (guessing the fig) but it remains a creamy honeyed coconut on me.

On me, Eden is just honeyed almond milk (accent on the almond) and toasted coconut. I'll age it and see if the fig comes out.

In The Bottle

Fresh coconut, honey and the dreaded almond

On Application

The almond amps up

Dry Down

Wow, the coconut is really toasted and nutty. The almond has settled to a creamy almond milk which works really nicely with the coconut and the fig gives an earthiness to help counteract the sweetness of the honey. Fades quickly.

Rating (0-5)