Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

Bottle: Berries

Wet: Berries, juicy and ripe along with some greenery. I suppose this is the plum. It's very warm and cozy!

Drydown: It's not like candy, but it is very sweet!
4.0 outta 5

In the imp, Midwinter's Eve (2007) is thick, sweet, juicy plum. It's much the same on - I like it very much. It's not overly sweet - it's a very round scent. It's very sophisticated, but not stuffy. And it doesn't morph when it dries either. This is REALLY nice - I'll definitely need a bottle.

This one made me really nervous at first - partially due to the description (winter flowers? florals hate me). And because of my first whiff (holy sweetness, batman).

BUT: this smell is delectable. While at first whiff I thought this was too sugary for me to enjoy all day long (especially since I am usually a musky, smoky, amber kind of gal) it was simply divine.

The plum is very strong at first, but on dry down it mellows and becomes well rounded with what I assume is the winter flowers, but they are like no florals I have smelled before (florals and I do NOT get along). This smelled sweet and comforting, but not at all "foodie". Mouthwatering but not too "berry" or "sweet".

For being such a light subtle fragrance on dry-down, this had a good amount of stay around time and throw. I kept getting whiffs while working, and it made me just smile because it really is a cheery fragrance, but one that is really suited to the winter. Sparkling almost?

In the Imp (wet): I seem to get syrupy bubblegum grapes, the same flavour used for kids' cold medication. Not impressed by it, since I absolutely hate the smell of bubblegum grape. Think a mountain of Skittle candy.

On me: The bubblegum grape isn't making much of an appearance (although it's still there), which is good. I'm amping the floral instead and a soft mixture of spices, which reminds me of a home full of fresh bouquets with a warm fire and spiced wine. Sweet, but becomes faint on the dry-down. Doesn't last very long, which is just as well, since this scent is not for me.

I figured I had better throw my 2 cents in--seeing as I just bought two bottles!

In the vial: First impression--don't like it at all. Smells like some really funky fall potpourri I bought and quickly threw out at Thanksgiving. Strange, overly sweet plum...

On: WOW! This scent more than any other taught me the value of wearing BPAL and not just judging on a sniff test.

Brown-sugar encrusted plum sweeties overlain by deep, spicy florals. When warmed on my skin, it's just heavenly. :P

It's an assertive scent, very wintry. Very far throw, long-lasting on me.

In the bottle: Super sweet and fruity. All I smell is the plum.

Wet: Juicy berry, fruity scent. This very quickly begins to change and something soft (perhaps floral) come forward, then...WHAM! Grape Dymatap. I smell like grape medicine. Ew.

Dry: This becomes much softer. It is still fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. It has a decently strong throw. It is definitely sweet on me. Less like sugar, more like very ripe fruit. I can see how this would be a lovely scent for a person who likes fruit and berry smells. It is just not for me.

This is the first bpal scent that smelled dead on to the description - sugared plums over winter flowers. I don't even know what winter flowers are but that is totally a spot on description of what it smells like wet and dry.

I also think this smells a lot like the Spencers store in the mall but without the patchouli.

At first, this smells like very strong fruit-flavoured black tea... and then it smells like a fruit punch Lip Smacker melted all over the backseat of a hot car. Dammit! I liked the description and hoped it would work on me. Oh well.

I have the 2007 version, which turns out to be sugared plums veiled by soft flowers. The mood this one conjures is wistful -- it's incredibly sweet and girlish, but at the same time there's a certain sadness underlying everything. I could easily see a little girl wearing this -- it's so juicy and sweet, and very candy-like. Be warned, though: I like my fruity BPALs to be sweet, so I love this one, but those who like their fruits more tart might not care for this. I know I'm going to be wearing this one a lot -- it's just so good, and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

4.5/5

Hmmm....this is definitely a winter fragrance. The first note I get is pine...funny I don't see that in the description. Yes, pine like a Christmas tree. I do smell the berries and they mix fairly well with the pine, but the pine smell is throwing the scent off. I wish this was purely winter berries on me. I'm not sure if I will keep this one.

This goes on like sugared berries but quickly starts to turn odd on me, in the same way that jasmine does. It's slightly sweet and definitely wintery but could be worn any time of year I think. One of the florals is just really not agreeing with my skin though - it seems very pretty otherwise!

2007 version

In the bottle: I had forgotten the description by the time my bottle arrived. My first impression upon sniffing was that it was very fruity but I couldn't pin down which fruit I was smelling. Having read the description again it makes perfect sense it's plums!

On my skin: Very sweet, round, the plums are the strongest note I pick up but I can also smell a light floral in the background. This is very wintery, this is what I imagine Christmas could smell like. Usually I associate fruity scents with joy and happiness but the description for this is spot on - there is a sense of nostalgia in this. It's very purple as some others have said in their reviews before me.

This is a very interesting scent. I like it a lot although I don't see it becoming one of my favourites to wear but I'm glad I have a bottle and know there will be some perfect occasions to wear this.

ETA: I wore this the day after - I put on quite a lot at about 8am and my skin had eaten it by lunch time. :P

Edited by etienne

Upon sniffing the imp: Fruity!

Wet: OMG Juicy Fruit Gum! Right down to that weird powder you find in the wrapper!

Dry: More fruity, less gummy. The slightly plasticky odor that fruit scents get on my skin has faded. It smells like a little scented candy, like when you open a tin of those Flavigny fruit pastilles, a little powdery and very subtle and sweet.

Conclusion: Yum! I don't think I would wear this all the time, but it is very evocative to me and I do like it.

Midwinter's Eve 07

In the imp: this is very different to the last two MWE scents. This smells like the plum in Bathsheba, not the one in Bordello.

Wet on skin: out come the floral notes, now it reminds me of a gentler version of Witch Queen.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is gorgeous! Very different to the sweet 'visions of sugar plum fairies' I got from the 04 and 05 MWE versions, which was sweet and sugary and pink, but a richer plum scent which matches the description better. This scent is a lot less happy and sparkly, and a lot more poignant and deep. The plum note is a fresh, not too sweet plum, which is also dark and juicy…like a wild black plum. And the floral notes are soft and velvety. There may be some tuberose in here, possibly some daffodil or orchid. In fact, this smells like the Witch Queen, but without that screaming harsh floral note that put me off it. It also reminds me of Bathsheba and Morgause. This is an enchanting scent.

After a while: the plum sweetens a little, but doesn't become cloying. it even becomes a little smoother, creamier…maybe a little bit musky? It reminds me so much of those musk-plum scents now that I wonder if there's a touch of musk here too? The floral notes are gorgeous too-they add a lush, voluptuous scent to the plum but are not the kinds of flowers that turn bad on my skin. Now I get a resemblance to Blood Countess here.

The scent stays as this sweet, sophisticated plum touched with flowers, it doesn't turn sickly sweet, and it smells just like what I hoped to get from Kitsune Tsuki.

Verdict: the old MWE, though pleasant, was a little too cheerful and reminiscent of Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo for it to be a melancholy scent. This one is much more fitting to the description, and also smells a lot nicer, less sugary, more sophisticated. The plum note is deeper and a fruitier, less like sugar plum fairies dancing in frilly tutus, sweet and sparkly, and more like a classy plum-floral-musk along similar lines to Bathsheba and the Witch Queen. In fact, this is the kind of scent I hoped to get from the Witch Queen. I really like this scent, and it’s certainly my favourite version of MWE, and I’m keeping the decant but don’t need a bottle as it reminds me so much of Bathsheba, which I prefer.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? The decant, for sure.

If you like this, try: Bathsheba, Witch Queen, Morgause, Blood Countess, Kitsune Tsuki

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In bottle: The sugared plums smell like they are soaked in liquer. The flowers are too faint to really pick out of the extremely intense plums. Wet: Sweet, sweet sugar plums. Did I mention the candied plums? Boy this is full of plums. Dry, less aggressive, but really, the same thing only not as intense, with a light floral edge.

In the bottle: Yummy juicy berries

On me: Lovely mixed berries, a little chill. Maybe a really faint pine. Really juicy, without being too sweet or cloying. Definitely reminds me of winter, as I used to wear cranberry lotions from the Bodyshop. This is much nicer. :P

I loved this when I put it on, and even at the first stages of drydown. Winter berries with a hint of floral in the background, and a nice sweetness.

Unfortunately, after about 30 minutes it went very artificial and almost plastic? The smell was reminiscent of something but I couldn't remember what, but it wasn't terribly pleasant. I'm really sad because I loved how it smelled in the beginning.

The search continues for a perfect winter scent for me!

The '04 version of this is a nice, sweet but dry plum which did not blow me away, but was pretty enough.

The '05 version of this is all sweet sugar and plummy goodness. It is likely in my top ten oils, and is just perfectly feminine.

The '07 version though was very harsh and not sweet or pretty at all to my nose. The plums did not have the juicy fruitiness from the '05 blend, and I wonder how much aging plays a part in these differences.

This is for the 2005 version.

In the bottle: Mmm, berries.

Wet: Luscious, juicy berries. I don't know plum well enough to know if it's plum specifically, but it's wonderful.

Drydown: Still very juicy. The berries are on top, but there is something underneath that makes it feel cold to my nose. It's an actual sensation; the insides of my nostrils feel cold if I bring my hand to my nose and sniff closely. I really love this. It did make me itch for a short time, but it didn't last and didn't make the skin red at all. It's got a good wear time, but the throw isn't as strong as I'd like.

This is pure sweet plum on me, which I absolutely love. I wanted to eat my arm!

It doesn't seem like a winter scent to me at all. Ripe, sweet fruit smells always make me think of spring and summer.

Sweet and bubblegummy. More fruity, and more floral on my skin, but still extremely sweet. Definitely plummy.

In the Bottle

It smells damn near edible, but almost a little too sweet. I'm getting loads of berries, but also a lolly-type smell too.

On Me

Goes to over-the-top sweetness. It smells like I've been eating boiled lollies and Toffee Apples and milkbar lollies and I'm sweating them. I'm really not getting the plum here at all-- it's just all madness and sweetness of these berries.

It's pleasant, but FAR less subtle than I presumed it was going to be: it kind of blows you away. Reminds me a little of the Jessica Simpson Dessert perfume Juicy, only it isn't edible.

Sweet, juicy, sugared plums. There's not a lot more to say about this, really. It's just candied plums. :P

Edited by alianthe

2007 edition

in the bottle: pink gum! It's that scent that wafts up when you unwrap a big piece of bubbleyum. Ripe, and sugary, and pink!

wet: This immediately calmed down. I still get that sugar pink scent, but its creeping into sweet, ripened red fruit. If you could see a color wheel, its crossed the path from neon pink, to pastel pink, to a glittery dark red.

5: The bubblegum sweetness from earlier is gone now. I'm getting the ripe plum, and something that I can't pinpoint that feels herbal or light floral.

10: This is moving toward a dried fruit and floral. Hrmph.

dry: Not too sure about this one. I thought I was going to fall in love. But it went from being sweet, sugary ripe fruity goodness, to a perfumey sweet floral on me. :P I will have to keep trying it to see if maybe my chemistry is just off now (I hope, I hope)