Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

2007 version

Starts off primarily as that BPAL winter berry scent that is similar to currants. It makes me stomach feel queasy. Eventually, it dries down and softens, but ends up smelling more like a berry version of that artificial Strawberry Shortcake scent. I'm glad I finally got to find out what the buzz is about, but I'm probably going to stick to Snow White and Lick It Again.

Something about this kept reminding me of All Souls 06, which I love. I couldn't really put a finger on what til I read Silverstrike's review just above me there. It's currant! :P

This is a sweet scent without being too foody on me. I think I need a bottle.

Oh. Em. Gee.

It smelled deliciously wonderful in the bottle, and it has continued to smell incredible on me all day long. Sugarplums, sweet, sweet sugarplums.

I know it's supposed to be wintery, but I could wear this year-round. I'm contemplating getting another bottle, even though it'll probably take a good while to get through the first one, just 'cause what if I can't get any again?

My first impression was 'lotus!', but that could be the sugared plums. It has a fruity sweetness that's almost like candy, kind of the way lotus smells to me. But it's the long dry-down that really impresses me about this scent. The fruit note deepens, and the 'candy' aspect fades. This scent might start out almost whimsical, but on the dry-down, it seems to mature and deepen.

I know I talk a lot about 'masculine' and 'feminine' qualities of scents. I realize this is totally objective. Today I was thinking.....I really should stop worrying about whether something is feminine or masculine. If it smells good to me, why not just wear it?? Midwinter's Eve is almost a womanly scent in my opinion, but I like it. And if I like it, I should just wear it! Why make it so complicated when it's not? Same goes for Snow White, which I find a bit girly, but I really like it, too.

In The Bottle: OH WOW COME TO MAMA! Sweet plum of love, not too much flower just glorious purple pluminess, wistful, wonderful.

Wet: This is sweet but not tooth achingly sweet. More like a nectar. It is delicate, yet ripe and full.

Dry Down: The sweetest stickiest plum juice drizzled over delicate white petals covered in a fine dusting of snow.

Verdict: This is an intimate blend, it isn't a strong in your face oil but it has a moderate to light throw, rather this is sweet and fresh and fragile, it remains close and personal. A perfect blend for work or just before slipping in-between the sheets at night. I will need another bottle or 2. :P

2007 version – I haven’t tried any of the earlier versions.

At first it’s extremely fruity and sweet. It’s like plums cooked in a sugar syrup. I think I also smell currants. Soon the bold fruitiness dies down, and it’s a pleasant blend of fruits and florals, with maybe a faint touch of pine in the background. It’s very cheerful and festive.

Midwinter's Eve 2007-

In Bottle: Sweetly fruity. And maybe a hint of resin?

Wet: Berry fruit--whoa, what is that? Is there a dirty note under that?

Dry: --Not a dirty note, but one of the flowers has a sort of...earthy tone? Almost like red musk has snuck in here. That roasted potato smell. Overall I hardly notice it but there is a hint of it there. I do love the fruit of it, though!

Overall: Generally yummy!

In the imp, this was strong berry. Wet, it settled into sweet plum, akin to Bordello but less, um...Bordello-ishness (no saloons or leather corsets). A dirt note tht is faint but grounds this a bit. There is something astringent in here, not in a bad way--just adds a little complexity. Maybe fresh greenery (not pine boughs; more like cut holly).

After dry-down, a tiny bit of plastic is hovering around, but I have to concentrate to pick it out.

A nice blend, but with a 10 oz bottle of Bordello on hand, I can't justify a bottle. I plan to enjoy the imp, though--it's a keeper.

YUMMY! This is another one I wantses more of -- along with Snow White and Krampus. It's sweet, but not overly so -- rich plums, and winter berries with cool snow. I have always liked Bordello, but wished it had a bit more depth. This has more depth. YUMMY! (again)

Yummy!

This is what it would smell like if All Souls and Purple Phoenix got together over some girlie drinks (think umbrella and cherry on a toothpick) in a smoke filled bar. There is a ton of berry in this, and it's smells purple to me. Along side the berry there is a sweetness to it that is more cake than fruit (maybe a tiny bit vanilla-ish?), and also lots of incense.

It softens as it dries, but there isn't a whole lot of morphing going on. It has medium to good throw on me - we shall see how long it lasts.

This is such a winner. I've now officially got too many favorites among this year's Yule scents.

Edited by Grynet

On me, Midwinter's Eve is sweet, juicy plums and no flowers whatsoever. Still, I love it and I plan to wear it year-round.

In the imp: Just what the description says it is! Sugar plums with light florals, and only slightly tart.

First applied: Very pretty. Still the same as in the imp. Hasn't morphed much. Reminds me very slightly of Bewitched. It has that general feel, but Midwinter's Eve is slightly more complex.

Drydown: Still sweet and sugary with a tiny bit of a tart undertone. I like it!

Verdict: Keeping decant, I do believe. Not sure about the bottle - will have to go to Shelldoo's salon and test stuff on my wishlist before I decide. :P

2007 version

In the bottle: Sugar, with an extra helping of sugar.

Wet: I've never had a sugarplum- I've never even seen one, in fact- but this is certainly sugar and plums in equal measure, so I have to say "Sugarplum". (My, I'm being original today!)

Drydown: This becomes much more complex, interesting, and lovely the longer I wear it. It's still primarily a very sweet fruit, but the florals are there as well. I'd have to call it a white floral- I can't pick out anything more specific than that, but it's more perfumey than foody.

Very nice altogether.

This review is for the 2007 version

Midwinters Eve has been my favourite BPAL scent over the years, and I have one bottle dating back to 2003, but I tend to wear the 2004 version more lately. (with two 2005 bottles as backup)

This version doesn't have the green freshness to it like the other versions. I cant place my finger on this, perhaps my bottle just needs more time in storage.

:P

Edited by Astarte

Midwinter's Eve 2007 - I love the previous incarnations of Midwinter's Eve, but it faded from my skin so quickly as to make it not worth wearing. This year's incarnation is deeper and darker, yet it's still fruity and sugary sweet, yet there's a depth to it - something resinous or woody (or both? Maybe a hint of patchouli?) that makes it more complex and interesting than I've found previous years' versions to be. This year's version lasts on my skin. It doesn't just last for a while - it really lasts and lasts, something I have not encountered with this blend before. I'm thrilled with it and will be hanging on to this year's version of the blend. Mmmmm!

This is a decant of 2006 that I'm only now getting around to testing.

First impression: Flowers? What flowers? This is all fruit, and very nice fruit at that, but a little more... summery... than I would have expected. There's a very strong drift of pineapple early on, which eventually fades out to a heavily-berry note with a bit of winy sharpness underneath. It's a very "red" scent, and therefore suitable for the season; I like it and I'll certainly use up the imp, but I don't think it's different enough from Bordello and Lady Macbeth to warrant buying a full bottle.

2007 version

Unlike the previous years' (2004 & 2005), this year's is a little different. I do smell florals in the wet stage, which hasn't happened before. Then it goes to a fruity, semi-floral on the drydown.

In the bottle: STRAWBERRIES! No... plums? Really? I still get strawberries. Not that I'm complaining since I love both.

Wet on skin: ... ooooooooooh... NOW it's plums - AND strawberries, but it becomes more and more plummy by the second. My word, this is incredible! And the throw is superb. It has real attitude. There could be a slight floral influence, but it's mainly the fruits. I don't get so much sugar either. It's sweet, but not toothachingly so.

Dry: This is crying out for another bottle to keep it company. I think I just may succumb. It's VERY fruity - berries are always a good thing. Definitely dark berries. This is a sombre blend, but not an unhappy or oppressive one. And it lasts, which a lot of my favourite GC berry scents don't on me (Blood Countess, Morgause). This is wonderful. I love it.

Very very sweet sugared berries/plums. A faint hint of flowers when first applied but that fades quickly. I think this is too sweet for me and it smells a bit plastic-y as well.

In the bottle: Dark, sweet plums, nothing else.

Wet on my skin: Lots of dark berries, but no sugar or florals!

Dry: Oooh, now the sugar and flowers come out to play, and it smells spicy too! In fact this smells like a sweeter Pink Moon '07 on me! :D

This lasts a long time on me, and the the throw is quite strong too!

I have an '05 version coming, I can't wait! it is described as sweeter and richer! When it comes I will add a review of it in this post!

:P

In the imp: Very sweet plum and sugar, candy like. Also some florals just stopping it from going completely into candyland.

Wet: Same as in the imp, but with a lot more florals.

Drydown: The florals have backed off and it isn't as candy like. Sweet plums, much softer than those in other plum scents, and flowers.

Dry: Sweet sugary plum floral - the description is spot on for this one! Excellent throw (as plum always has on me) and average last. It's a bit too sweet and sugary for me though as I find plum sweet enough on it's own. I also have Blood Countess when I want a plummy floral (lthough they are quite different), and I prefer the boldness of the plum in it and the slightly darker undertones it has. However I do like this and am glad I tried it!

2007 version: Wet this is sweet fruit- berries and melon, sorf of like canatlope or maybe lotus/bubblegum. When first on this is much darker but still sweet with some hints of pine or evergreens. After a few minutes it softens and becomes more herbal. After a couple of hours this is a soft floral and fruity blend. Quite nice. I'll enjoy using the imp.

MIDWINTER'S EVE 07

In Bottle: Plum gum

On Skin: Plum is one of those notes that just adopted me. I never ever thought I’d list it as a favorite note, but there are so many scents I LOVE that have plum in them, that I’ve come to accept it as a winner. Here, it is very sweet, almost like plum bubblegum. Which as I look back at the forum, is exactly how I described it the first time I tried it several years ago. So… it hasn’t changed much in this formulation. I also still see it as being a candle scent. Very warm, juicy and sweet… absolutely purple in feel. This and Snow White are probably my 2 favorite Yules this year. It has a medium throw and a fairly short wearlength.