Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

I had such high hopes for this one.

In the bottle: Sweet and juicy, a very nice scent.
Wet: This smells just like a candy...sweet tarts maybe?
Dry: Still candy. It's too sweet for me. It smells like I smeared candy powder on my arms :P

Oh well.

Imp from 2004.

Wet: OMG. It smells so good. Juicy and sweet. Must.not.drink.

First on: I smell like delicious, sweet juice.

Dry: Whatever florals are in this are a perfect complement to the plums. I can't get over how great this smells. And I only have one tiny imp! :P

Edited by Melissa Della

I haven't reviewed this and I've been loving my bottle for over a year now! Bad me!

My scent preferences have changed a bit over the last year, and I remember not wearing this much when it was new. I don't know if it was the change of my preferences or the aging of the oil, but I like it a lot!! better now.

Wet, it's very sweet, playful berries. The sweet smell is very very sweet, but doesn't cross the line to the sticky sweet scents that I now avoid.

As it dries, it settles into a more quiet, almost somber mix of berries and what is probably the plum. It still lingers close to the line of being too sticky, but stays just shy of it. It's a beautiful scent for a cold, rainy day like today.

Clean and clear sweet, not sticky gooey or cloying. This is fresh, sugary, fruity. I wouldn't call this a foody scent because its just so CLEAR. I think floral and fruit lovers will really appreciate this one. And I'm a foodie, and it's grand. Its all around wonderfulness!

MidWinter's Eve 2005:

In the Bottle:

It smells very plumy & flowery.

I would not have associated this with a winter scent - but definitely a spring one.

maybe it's that 'in-between' season scent - the end of winter's delights & beginning of spring's arrival.

Wonderful!

On the Skin, Wet:

Very sugary plums.

it seems to almost be a syrupy plum - I can't detect any flowers at this stage, just liquid plum delight!

On the Skin, Dry:

Sugar plums and a little bouquet of flowers in the background.

The morphing is pretty minimal on me; and overall what I can smell in the bottle is how it dries on me.

Verdict:

Very Beautiful!

I thought I would like one when I first read the description - So I bought three bottles! ;)

The throw isn't very good though, I find myself reapplying about 3 times a day; and I wear this one about 3 - 6 days a week.

That being said, I must have a magic bottle somehow - I reapply quite a bit and still have not reached the top of the label on the FIRST bottle!! WOW! AMAZING!!

Hooray Magic Bottle!!

:D :D :P :)

In the imp: clear sweet plums!

On me, wet: very sweet ripe plums. There's a slight citrusish tang, too.

On me, dry: sweet sugary plums. There's a pale floral fluttering around in the background too.

Verdict: I know people who would love this, but it's a little too sweet for me.

Bottle: Mmmm, sweet pretty plums

Wet: More plumy goodness

Dry: Is..is that booze? :P

It starts off so pretty then turns to wine on me, ugh. I need to give it another go and see

The description sums this one up for me, though it doesn't do it justice. Sweet, juicy sugarplums. :P This makes me think... pink. It's such a feminine blend, and although it's certainly not my everyday cup of tea, it really is beautiful.

OMG!!!! I want to bathe in this! It's pure candy! I absolutely love this scent and would die happy if I were wearing it! It's very sweet...not foody at all...it smells like a jolly rancher! I want to make it into candy and suck on it! haha ok I need to settle down!

2005 Version: This scent is burgundy and sweet. It dries down almost to a mulled wine scent, but still with lots of sugar. This reminds me of plum fairies and sweet hard candies.

Edited by alicia_stardust

In the imp: Plum and sugar

On Skin: Juicy plums and sugary goodness

On Drydown: The plum lingers a bit, but it's more of a sugary frosting right now. I get a wee hint of florals.

Verdict: Honestly, I didn't think I'd like it because I'm so not a foodie person. But I've come to realise I am a fruity person. This has some sweet sugary plum goodness going on. I'm really glad I got to try this.

This smells like sweetarts minus the mouth curling tartness. I even can detect some of the chalky flavor that I've always gotten from the candies. It's sweet, sugary goodness. Definitely something I'd wear when I want a fun pick-me-up.

I'm reviewing the 2004 version, although I recall my decant of 2005 being the same.

This starts out just what the description implies....sweet, juicy plums lightly dusted with sugar. As it dries, the plums become sweeter and more sugary. Whatver florals are in this are so well blended that not only can I not pick them out, this doesn't smell floral at all! Midwinter's Eve is one of my favourite Yule scents and I'm so happy it will be returning this year. :P

Love Potions had a twin to Midwinter's Eve called Winter Snow Blossom. What is it in these that smells a little like a Strawberry Shortcake doll? A little plastic, a little fruity? Whatever it is, I love it.

Midwinter 2004

There are some florals cutting through my sugar plums and it's making me :P

This is sugary sweet plum goodness for the most part. Just not sure whether I can make do with the underlying notes.

In the bottle: Mmm, yummy and insanely juicy and sweet berry candy. Reminds me of a jolly rancher. Nothing melancholy about this so far.

On me: it still smells of juicy berry candy, less of a cherryness. After about 5 minutes, the sweetness is still there, but it develops into a wonderful warm spicy sweet drink. Only way I can describe it is like a spiced apple cider but with a hint of berry *or it could be the spiced plum* still thinking of jolly ranchers...

My skin seems to be absorbing the sweetness quite quickly, I hope it doesn't suck it all up because I love this stuff! No melancholy-ness here, definitely reminiscent of childhood Christmas. Its really wonderful!

MIDWINTER'S EVE 2007

Even though I appreciated this scent when it was released in 2005, I do not think I had developed a nose yet because now I see that there are so many subtleties and nuances that I missed.

WET: Plum candy.

DRY: This is a a juicy sweet, deep plum scent. It is a very dark red-purple. It has a depth to it and a magical, glittering quality. Midwinter's Eve is a poised winter blend: the passion and sweetness of sugar plums, the silence of a dark winter's night, the refinement of winter flowers. Given my background in ballet, this scent is a dead-on expression of all that I know and understand about the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker. I can't say how much this means to me.

How does Beth do it? This actually smells warm.

Wet: sugared plums and unnamed flowers

Dry; warm sugared plums just out of the oven, sitting in a room with a bouquet of mysterious flowers.

Just when I think I've found a favorite blend, BPAL surprises me and ups the ante!

ETA: this is the 2007 version.

Love this blend. It's so warm and romantic, like I am being hugged by someone wearing plum colored velvet. It makes me feel cherished and safe.

Edited by girlygirl

bottle: sweet, candied plums. this reminds me of a more tame version of bordello.

wet: plum florals ahoy! this is very, very strong on me.

dry: i like this quite a bit more once it's dry. the plum florals are sweet and festive, i'm going to wear this to any parties i attend this year.

2007 version...

straight sniff from bottle is sweet, seductive plum...

once applied it warms up to floral and fruity goodness...

absolutely gorgeous...another winner from the yule 2007 update :P

2007 edition

Just received and tried it last night...a bit "boozy" to me in the bottle, slathered it on before bed and then waited...OMG!!!

It sort of went away for a few and THEN came back all fruity,warm,and happy!

An undertone of "sex under the Christmas tree after a good bottle of wine" in there as well? Sort of like a "Bordello" but with more plum and a bit of spice...

I'm not good at picking out the perfection of the "notes"like so many of your are but just try to describe how it "feels when I smell it",LOL!

This is a glam-scent,I agree it's perfect for parties and ultra festive!

A winner for me!!!

In the bottle:

Weird, I am totally not getting sugared plums. More like grass, and something else I can't place.

Wet:

On my skin, it becomes more apparent that this blend contains sweet notes. Oh, good! Here are the sugared plums.

Dry:

Yummy sugared plums! With a hint of floral. It's not really foody, at least on me. But lovely, and possibly another multi-bottle purchase.

Edited to add:

I wore this to work today, and it really smells a LOT like Purple Phoenix on me. Not exactly the same, but similar. I like Purple Phoenix, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will be interesting to see how it ages.

Edited by n3m3sis42

For some reason I was expecting something sadder from the description (probably from the words melancholy and nostalgia) so I was really surprised when I opened the bottle and was so sweet.

Smells on me exactly like it does in the bottle, amazing sugared plums with the hint of florals in the background. Now I can't wait for the Nutcracker because I'm wearing this scent to it!

:P I may need another bottle!

2007 edition

Bottle: Very Sweet, can catch the fruit but no floral

Wet: When I first put it on, the sweetness carries over, but when I wasn't sniffing my wrist directly, I swear it smelt like bubble gum (up close, it didn't); thankfully, that fades away.

Dry: A floral blended with sugary sweetness. It kinda sorta of reminds me of Crypt Queen, but warmer, sweeter, and without the musk.

I'm really looking forward to how this one turns out after it has aged some.

Midwinter's Eve 2007

I have tried the 2004 version and didn't like it, so I almost didn't buy this one. But I really love plums and this just appealed to me at the time so I went ahead and ordered it. I can only vaguely remember what the 2004 version smelled like (mainly an impression) and in my mind this one is very different. It's much more mellow and complex, and the plum in this reminds me of the plum in Hellion, which I adore.

This doesn't seem foody to me, even though it is lightly sweet and sugary. The fragrant quality of the flowers in the background take this to another level and makes it even more beautiful. The floral note reminds me of those little bunches of white, nondescript flowers, the kind that can grow anywhere. It's a gentle, pale floral. There is a cold, chilling quality in this as well. The snowy, piercing note that feels like snow and ice.

This fades to a beautiful, faint floral musk on my skin. It actually wears for a good amount of time too, which doesn't happen often on my skin with fruit notes. I am so glad I didn't pass this one up.