Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loup Garou

The wild, untamed essence of lycanthropy. Primeval in its raw power and insatiable hunger: juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.

In the Imp I smelled a somewhat sharp pinescent ...
On the skin it was still sharp pine but with eucalyptus!

When it dries it´s getting sweeter and sweeter, the sharpness and eucalyptus vanishes and pine dominates the scent.

I love it! :P Edited by Shollin

Loup Garou

In the imp:

It's something familiar... perhaps a bit of the juniper and for some reason I can swear that I smell cucumber.

On:

Immediately it turns into something heady and strong and herby. My mother (a gardener) says it smells like verbena. To me, though, it's just the classic herb garden smell. Nice, but very strong.

After a while:

It's still awfully strong and so sharp I can't sniff my wrists directly. The scent hasn't changed. At all.

After five hours:

Okay, this is getting a bit extreme. The smell hasn't changed, the throw is still good and the lasting power speaks for itself. However, it's getting overly strong. I mixed it with a tiiiny bit of The Hesperides and it immediately is calming down and blending nicely. I'll try it with some other oils as I don't think verbena and apples are the absolute-best combination.

It's not what I'd expect of lycanthropy in general, but perhaps at the moment of transformation this scent could work.

This is a most delicious conifer forest scent. It's got the proper earthiness, unlike its kin Black Forest, which smells more like pine cleaner to me. Loup Garou is a wolf rolled in pine needles, and the smell of waking up the next morning with the sun-warmed dry needles prickling into your newly naked human skin. So rich and redolent of the woodsy adventures you must have had in the night. It is the smell of being lost in the forest - there is a slight panicky feeling in there. I suppose it depends on if you see yourself as the hunted or the hunter when you wear this scent. It is NOT a safe perfume. It is feral, and dangerous. Most chillingly delicious.

In the bottle: Clean, almost minty pine scent

On (first few minutes): Very bright, pine scent, with the eucalyptus peeking out.

After several minutes + for the next few hours: The scent kept warming up to the smell of a sun-drenched pine forest, and I started falling further in love with it. There's a strange warm undertone to it that reminds me a bit of when my old dog Buck (who had a bit of the wolf in him) would come inside after laying out in the sun in the woods for hours- just the faintest hint of something animal in there in a comforting way.

's beautiful.

Loup Garou is a really envigorating scent- besides Jabberwocky, I can see this blend as being one that is really useful in the oil burner or the skin for waking me up or keeping me alert- I bet it's the presence of the eucalyptus in both. Anyway, this is a strong, strong foresty blend with that lovely extra bite of eucalyptus that makes it exrtra fresh and green. A lot fo BPAL's forest blends tend to smell similar on me, but this one sets itself apart (however, since I've tried most of the foresty blends, the one I find most similar to this is Stranger in Camp...) I really like this one, and will definitely add it to my wishlist since it seems good for so many uses. Wonderful! :P

Wow, this is the crispest, truest pine tree scent I've ever sniffed! This is sooo green, fresh and christmasey! It's just like sticking your nose in a fresh Christmas tree right after you bring it home and set it up. There is the barest hint of an "edge" to this scent, which must be the eucalyptus. This has pretty strong throw as well.

I think this is very pretty, how could I not like something that reminds me this much of Christmas Eve?? :P

In the imp: a spicy, cypressy twang.

On the wrist: Still cypresssy, with a hint of warmth or spice behind it. I generally love the conifer scents...

Unfortunately, within an hour and a half it’s faded almost completely.

In the Imp : "The woods are lovely dark and deep . . . "

Wet : Cypress and the faintest hint of juniper and something . . . something. I'm going to go on ahead and say its the galangal and its adding an animalistic note to this. Its a very strange, dark note that's hard to peg down but there's definitely something "wolfish" about it.

Dry :Cypress and some other woodsy notes - the eucalyptus and juniper have decided to combine their powers and become one note. Gone is the galangal which kept making strange appearances. This is a very nice deep, foresty scent now - it seems all the werewolves have changes back and gone home for the day.

Over All : I really like this one. I'm sorry that I can't say much more than that but I do.

Big Bottle Worthy : Yes, or at least a few more imps but it would be nice to have a home for them.

imp: eucaluptus with a hint of juniper.

wet: very green. the eucalyptus always overshadows everything when i wear it. this has a very nice piney aroma though.

dry: by the end this was a rich, yet soft, pine scent. it really made me think of the smell of pine branches that had fallen off the tree after a good downpour. i still haven't decided whenther or not i'll buy a bottle. my husband on the other hand is giving my arm little sniffs of approval so i've popped the imp onto his pile for his testing...

This came to me as a frimp. I put off trying it for a month because I was scared of it! After all, it is loup garou . . .

Bottle: Overpoweringly minty. Cold.

Wet on skin: Vicks! It smells just like Vicks! Oh, wait. A bit of that cypress is starting to creep in.

Drydown: It reminds me of a winter forest. Like being lost in the forest a week before Christmas. There are crunchy pine needles on the ground. It's late evening, the sun is going down and everything is pale and blue. There's definitely something else lurking behind the trees. A wolf, of course. It's wild, but calm. Just watching.

Conclusion: I love this. I'm glad I finally tried it. I'm definitely going to be wearing this come Christmastime . . . but I can't imagine wearing it at any other time of the year. It's actually a strangely comforting scent, probably just because Christmas is my favorite holiday and it reminds me of that. Not at all what I expected, but all the better for it.

My dad said it smelled like pure vanilla! But I don't smell any vanilla at all . . . Odd.

Edited by pinkpepper

Loup Garou

This comes off very astringent at first, which is no surprise considering the notes involved. As it dries, the astringency mellows out and what's left is the pleasant aroma of evergreen trees.

[ 3 - Like ] I adore tree scents, but not too fond of the astringent stage. Black Forest does it best.

In the imp: Overwhelmingly sap-filled. Pine, dry earth, running sap and cold, cold eucalyptus substituting a chill night air.

Wet: Evergreens. It's the sharp, pungent scent of deep forest.

Drydown: Well, this blend sure cleared out my sinuses. It's a little too winter woodsman for my taste, but for a fresh, cold, forest blend? This definitely gets my vote for atmosphere and clean-smelling-ness.

I really, really like Loup Garou. And the scent isn't me at all. But when I smell it, I smile.

For a while I layered this with Carnal as my regular scent. (But then I discovered Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and I never wore anything else again!). It's fresh and green and makes me happy.

I think this is a gender neutral scent. My husband says women shouldn't wear it.

My 5 year old son likes it, but when I tried to get him to wear some he informed me that it "wasn't sweet enough". I guess he's not old enough yet. Maybe in a few years.

But yes, I really like this.

Loup Garou. I had no idea of the notes and was expecting a mixture of dark woods, full moon, fur, and fangs.

It actually smells like the green salve my grandpa used to put on my skinned knees and scrapes. One of the ingredients of the salve is cajeput, so that's what I think is coming across to me most strongly. This will be a nice imp to wear when life hands out a few scrapes and I need to feel surrounded by grandfatherly concern.

Thanks for Loup Garou!

Bottle: Eucalyptus

Wet: Eucalyptus and pine. Slightly medicinal and masculine.

Drydown: Smells a bit like my husband's Badger Balm. Not as forest-y as I would have thought.

2.5 outta 5

This one is very yummy on the man.

It smells like he's wearing cologne, though (not like De Sade which makes him smell like he simply happens to be the sexiest smelling man in the world).

I really liked how Beth managed to make the wood be "I'm out in the forest wood" as distinct from "Old house with cedar closets wood" or "stack of lumber wood". It's very evocative of, not earth exactly (there are no earth or moss or leaf notes that I can catch), but damp loam and the outdoors. I live in the PNW, we know from forests here, and although the forests I've been in didn't smell of these specific species of wood, they still have a peculiarly forest scent that Loup Garou has.

The first few minutes of this smelled overwelmingly of eucalyptus, but it settled down quickly and turned into a scent of pine and juniper with something sweet underneath. I'm really, really liking this and I don't it's overly masuline at all. My only problem is that it faded significantly after about 30 minutes. :P

Since this is my first purchased scent, here's my first review. :P

First Sniff: Pine forest. Something comes through very strongly; it's either the pine or the juniper.

Wet: Same as the first sniff only stronger.

Dry: As it dries, the scent becomes less overpowering which is nice. Still a very strong smell of pine/juniper though. Later it becomes more subdued and another earthy scent came through for me, perhaps the eucalyptus? The overall scent evokes images of a primeval forest which I loved.

My Reaction: I like it and it definitely reminds me of the woods. However it may be a bit too strong for me as it does seem to be a more masculine scent.

EDIT: I've changed my mind! After it dries, Loup Garou slowly fades to a lighter, almost baby powder scent that reminds me of warm fur, sunshine and dryer sheets (so comforting!) and I love it! It is very masculine at first, but after about an hour it's simply delicious on a female! And it's also very subtle on me which is something I value in a perfume/oil.

Edited by elinox

In the bottle, the evergreen was very strong, almost overpoweringly so. On my skin, it turned into a mixture of Pine-Sol and Christmas tree. Quite unpleasant. The longer I wore it, it turned into just a plain muddy, perfumey scent. I cant wear it. Maybe my husband will have better luk.

in the imp: juniper. very wintery.

wet on skin: the juniper is still strong, but it's gained a sweetness and lost it's sharp edge. it reminds me of a beautiful snowy day that starts with making angels and ends with hot cocoa.

dry down: wow. this is a really wonderful juniper-pine mix. :cozy:

in all: while i'm not much for wearing stuff like this on my skin, this is guaranteed to be a great room fragrance.

:P

Wet on my skin, Loup Garou is juniper and eucalyptus. Very nice. The eucalyptus vanished as it dried, but the juniper is still amazing. A new favorite.

Piney eucalyptus. Wet, dry, that's what it is...nice, but it reminds me too much of Pine Sol. It might make a good room scent, but on it just makes me want to go wash my wrist, I feel like I've splashed cleaning products on it.

Sniffed in bottle: Extremely pale yellow oil. Juniper & eucalyptus jump out, followed by cypress and more distant galangal. Green, woodsy, fresh, medicinal, manly.

Wet: Way more cypress and still loads of juniper, with much softer eucalyptus. More galangal too. It's very evergreeny, but sort of bright, and almost light in feel despite the strength of the scent.

Dry: Eucalyptus quickly burns off, and some pine emerges in a major way. There's still a lot of cypress, but not much galangal any more.

Summary: Pine and juniper, with cypress behind. Eucalyptus dissipates. This is surprisingly nice, deep and woodsy and clean all at once, but still a little too piney for me in the end. Great throw & longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

This is very menthol to me, like very strong eucalyptus. The juniper adds more forest and bite, and the cypress sort of makes this vibrate lower so that it is almost feral and swarthy. The eucalyptus is a bit strong for me, but if you like forest blends with a touch of wildness and coolness to it, this is a good one to try.

This is very strong on the eucalyptus at first, but after a while that tones down a bit and I'm left with a nice piney scent. I love forest type scents alot, and this one has its own niche with the eucalyptus, cypress and juniper notes. I love the smoky aspect that develops, which is similar to Stranger in Camp. While I love Stranger in Camp more, this one is a nice addition to my foresty collection. I suspect that it might be good for layering purposes too! :P