Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loup Garou

The wild, untamed essence of lycanthropy. Primeval in its raw power and insatiable hunger: juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.

In bottle: This has three notes of death in it, so no skin testing. This is as strong and sharp as turpentine. The effect manages to be clean and alarming at the same time. The juniper and cypress are strongest. This needs a strong personality to carry, but it could be interesting with the right chemistry.

In the vial, it smells like freshly cut wood. Very pleasant smell, in my opinion. Color, very light yellow-white.

Wet on my skin, I think there's a little more juniper than I'd like in this blend. All I can smell is GIN. Maybe that will calm down on the drydown.

10-15 minute drydown - Lol... I smell like I rubbed against a pine tree. Very faint, but quite pleasant. Kinda like I've been on a hike or something.

In bottle: A strong, rough green scent.

Wet: Strong sappy pine.

Dry: Yup still pine.

Notes: While I like wood scents, this was a bit too much of a bright evergreen association for me.

In the Imp: deliciously evergreen, woodsy and bright

Wet on Skin: eucalyptus and juniper

While Drying: Loup Garou is similar to Jabberwocky, minus the citrus note. In LG, the animalistic note is more warm and fuzzy, less feral than in Jabberwocky.

After a Little While: The eucalyptus here stands out a bit more than in Jabberwocky or Hemlock. I'll have to see how this develops - I keep sniffing and expecting (and missing) Jabberwocky's gingery bite. The juniper has died back in favor of the cypress

Later: With time this mellows a bit. Gorgeous. The drydown is a bit warmer in feel than Jabberwocky or Hemlock.

Final Thoughts: Of the three similar blends I own, LG's eucalyptus smells the most medicinal, at least during the wet stages, and I prefer the added dimension of the citrus notes in Jabberwocky and Hemlock. I'll keep this imp, but a bottle would be too much. I have bottles of the other two, and I'll wear them more often, even though I love the final stage of Loup Garou.

Loup Garou earns a 4/5 on my skin.

I would have never tried this one on my own. I'm not big on any of these notes, but it's surprisely not as bad as I would have expected. Strong pine scent, but not in an air freshener way...like climbing a pine tree and smelling it on your hands. This might be nice for an aromatherapy massage. It's not something I'd wear as a perfume.

In th imp it smells like dirty pinesol. Like pine scented cleaner that has been used. Um... I'll try it anyway. In the skin it starts to smell like dirty mint. The mint starts overpowering as it dries and the eucalyptus comes out very, very strong. Like Vicks vaporub strong. It dries down to a delicate powdery woody smell. I'm not sure what wood it is. It might be the juniper, but it smells more like pine cones, but delicate and distant. It's a nice masculine end smell, but to get to it, it's not that pleasant. I'll give it to my boyfriend to try also. It might smell good on him.

Oh yikes, this smells exactly like a vodka gimlet on me. Unfortunately I'm on the wagon so this is going to have to come off, haha.

In my search for a scent for the boy, I tried Loup Garou on him, with mixed results.

In bottle: PINE. And something almost deep underneath.

Wet: Still pine. There's a bit of a musky scent there, but it's faint.

Dry-down: It's still mostly pine. I sort of like it, but it's not really a HIM scent. We'll try something else.

In the bottle: sort of like falling into a juniper bush, but a little less harshly scented. I'm pretty allergic to juniper, so we'll see. there's something that's almost sweet (the galangal?) and the eucalyptus lends a refreshing air to it. color me intrigued.

On my skin: another mostly masculine scent I think. definitely juniper, maybe a bit of pine, and again that unidentifiable sweetness. not sweet like strawberries, more like a really good-smelling tree, if that makes a particle of sense. it is very wild, and I like it. the coolness of the eucalyptus keeps it from being overpowering.

Last thoughts: still makes me sneeze a bit, which I assume is the juniper. pleasantly masculine without being overpowering or stupid-buff. I wish there was less juniper because then I'd actually consider wearing it (especially on my butchier days).

Holy medicinal Batman. That eucalyptus is boss. I think the juniper that trails behind almost amplifies the qualities of the eucalyptus. The juniper catches up to the eucalyptus once Loup Garou is applied to my skin. This is so sinus-clearing that my nose actually feels a bit tingly smelling this. I would never wear a blend like this but would consider trying this out when I'm battling a cold.

This smells exactly like described.

It's evergreens with eucalyptus. Fresh evergreen resins from top to bottom.

I'm not sure if I would associate this with lycanthropy, however it is a very nice refreshing blend.. but I'm not exactly sure it's quite my style on my skin.

This is pine sap. A lot of pine sap and eucalyptus.

I wasn't sure about this one in the imp because of all that pine, but I gave it a chance and tried it. On my skin it is still predominantly pine sap and eucalyptus, but it doesn't feel artificial at all. Reminds me of tripping in the woods, and getting up to finding pine needles on your hands. Not very feral, but definitely smells like you're outside somewhere secluded. And surprisingly I didn't find it very masculine on me.

While I didn't care much for it at first, I found that I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I tried it again. And again. And then finally admitted to myself that I really liked Loup Garou and sent pine a note saying: "I like you. Do you like me? Y/Y"

The one thing keeping me from loving this scent is the lack of staying power. If he stayed around longer, I'd actually consider a bottle.

Disclaimer: I am new, and my nose is not attuned to individual notes yet.

Loup Garou was a frimp in my first order.

In the Imp: Woah! That's a sinus opener!

Wet: Eucalyptus and Pine Cones. Smells like Vicks Vapor Rub and Pine Sol. Not an unpleasant smell at all, but not something I would wear out. I could see myself putting this on to get myself into a "housework" mood.

Drydown: something is getting sweeter on me. It's starting to smell like my papa's workshop, and I like it. Wood filings and cold, crisp winter air. The Eucalyptus is morphing into a softer, almost spearmint smell. pleasant. clean.

Final Thoughts: Well, color me surprised. I actually really like this! It's reminding me childhood winters, playing out in the forest behind my house, fingers and toes numb and tingly from the cold. From the way it smelled at first, I never would have guessed how much I liked this. It really does remind me of running through the forest in the winter. Love it.

In the imp...green, herbal, nice.

On wet...sharper, the juniper becomes more pronounced, mixes well with whatever herbal base is happening.

On dry...mmmmm...piney. like being in a pine forest, with dark wood. Sharp high notes from the juniper.

Very nice, fresh, will be great for summer!

This came as s frimp with my latest order.

In the imp, holy eucalyptus, Batman! A really strong blast of it with sharp pine beneath it. In general I enjoy evergreen blends, so the pine wasn't as much of a put off as eucalyptus. I have negative mental associations with it from suffering severe respiratory infections as a child.

Wet for about ten minutes the eucalyptus dominated. It cleared my sinuses and got my nose running. This was from a very tiny wand swipe at my wrists, rubbed together, and then at the crooks of my arms.

As it dried down, the pine scent came out much stronger. At that stage it smelled like Golden Priapus without the vanilla. It was a warmer scent by then, with a spiciness that had to be the galangal. In the crooks of my arms it stayed sharper. It had medium throw and lasted perhaps three hours or so before really fading. I love Golden Priapus and already have a bottle of it. This is so close to it without the vanilla note that makes it magical that I'll have to pass. Nice, though, once the eucalyptus burns off and goes away.

Kind of menthol and evergreen-like at first. The evergreen really takes the front stage after a bit. It feels like I'm in a forest. Nice to try, but not for me, it's a bit too masculine. It does remind me a bit of the evergreen in Golden Priapus, but that one, the vanilla is more prominent.

Received as a frimp in a swap but the cap broke when I removed it so most of it ended up on my hands before I could decant what little remained into another imp ... but at least I could review it (I am pretty sure I had tried this way back when but it was during the phase where I rarely if ever wrote reviews).

IN THE IMP: Fresh and clean, definitive cypress and eucalyptus.

Applied ... well, onto my hands. :huh?:

WET: Very strong on the eucalyptus/cypress/juniper front and very clean but not "cleanser" clean.

DRYDOWN: Kind of lemony and slightly sweet.

OVERALL: I would not buy this in a big bottle or, even, go out of my way to get another imp but I will keep what I have and wear the rest of it at some point. It's very pleasant.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.5

In the imp: Juniper and lots of it! Smells like the park I used to go to as a kid. *insert warm fuzzy memories*

On: This one phases really fast one me; went from juniper with a wee tinge of eucalyptus and moved into earth, straight dug-up forest floor, yum. Then I smelled like a Christmas Tree. :laugh: After that it morphed into fresh sawdust, then fresh-cut pine (as I love working with wood, this makes me very happy lol), then the earthy smell came back up. Seems there's this tinge of something warm and slightly sweet around the edges, maybe whatever they used to make the earth scent, it's very faint though.

Doesn't last too long, on the upside I can apply liberally without making my nose feel molested.

Me keeping this one :biggrin:

Edited by Dust and Fire

• ITI: Loup Garou is crisp and refreshing, like an evergreen forest during a thunderstorm. Juniper and eucalyptus rule all others in the imp.

Wet: IT's very similar to the impression I received when I unstoppered the imp, although I'm getting a touch of cypress and a hint of spiciness from the galangal, but these notes I have to try to tease out over the other two.

Dry: It's a much drier scent after four hours. It's mostly dried cypress and faint enough quantities of eucalyptus and juniper to give it a slightly crisp and astringent tone, but not enough to overpower the drier nature of the cypress note.

In the vial: So many notes that hate me. Mainly eucalyptus and cypress.

On the skin: I guess it's the galangal because this deepens as it dries and gets quite impressive, until juniper marches in to bash me over the head. Totally dry, it's a cypress and juniper party. I think this would be great for a man but it won't work on me.

When I first applied this, it was PIIIIIIINE with a teeny bit of something sort of minty/up-my-nose which I assume is the eucalyptus (while eucalyptus and menthol are different, I always thought they smelled pretty damn similar). There's also something a little earthy in there, buried under the pine and eucalyptus. I was a little nervous about trying this one on because in the imp it's just SO loud and sharp. While it is still those things, it's like that in a way i'm ok with. So far, it reminds me of shopping for a Christmas tree as a kid, and running around with my little brother through all the aisles of trees. It looked like a forest to a five-year-old. [10 minutes later] Musk wasn't listed as a note in the official description, but there's something musky going on whenever I turn my head/catch an accidental whiff of it. But yeah, this fragrance is kind of awesome because I think I'm getting a cold and it is de-stuffin' my nose pretty nicely. Ha ha. Half an hour later, the sweeter wood smell of cypress is beginning to appear-- and then five minutes after that, it becomes far more noticeable and lingers with the pine in an equal amount. --Oh wow. After smelling cypress in a few things, I can state with 100% confidence that it smells like old, creaky floors in a fancy old library. Oddly specific? Yes. True? Also yes. It's a really comforting smell for me. At the four-hour mark, it's just pure slightly sweet, clean wood. Quite an interesting course of changes this one goes through! It starts out bold and intimidating, than finishes as comforting. A very nice winter fragrance if you can pull it off-- which thankfully, I can. :)

I love green notes and I have wanted to try out loup garou for years (one in my big wishlist). I finally got an imp from the lab so I can see what it's like on me.

juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.

In the bottle: Whoah juniper and pine with the eucalyptus opening my sinuses (but not tangible as a note).

On my skin: I can see this being good for when I have a cold because it's still opening up my sinuses. :P I get lots of pine and a little bit of juniper I think. I am not sure what galangal smells like. 5 minutes later I know what galangal smells like. XD It is this earth-like, root-like, ginger-like note. It is the only thing I get right now. Very grounded, but where is my pine? :(

Drydown: Galangal with a hint of pine. Nooo, I want more pineness damn it!

Juniper and pine in the bottle.

Goes on as a cypress pine with some eucalyptus notes. Not a complex scent, but a nice one; it's like walking through a very crowded Christmas tree farm.

Finishes as more of a juniper. Doesn't have the roundness or sweetness of some other pine fragrances, but it's not harsh or too bitter.

Doesn't have lots of longevity or throw, but I liked it enough to reapply it at midday. Will probably pick up a bottle.

Wet: This is... nice! It's all linseed oil and turpentine, but I mean that in the nicest possible way. It's blonde piney wood. Reminds me of pine cabins I've stayed in with generators, gas lamps, corrugated iron rooves, and only access-able via 70 miles of pine-lined logging roads in Maine. Puts me in mind of chopping firewood & setting it aside for weathering. I can really see some people thinking of this as car freshener pine or maybe pinesol but I have way too many natural associations. I find this really evocative.

Dry: When it dries, Loup Garou starts getting smoother and more streamlined. Deep green hints with a slight sweetness- almost itchy associations. Comforting. There's something not unlike a floral hidden under here, not a tame, hothouse flower- more like a prickly thistle? I wish it had a little more lasting power on me, but it's, yep!- nice, really nice!

Overall, I'm keeping the imp because this is DANG pleasant. A few more tries will let me know if this is a bottle scent or not.