Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

Honey Moon

Honey Moon contains five different honeys, ranging from pale and sweet to deep and heady, with hints of jasmine, white gardenia, Hawaiian white ginger and thyme.

Emu Nymph let me try her bottle (it didn't work out for her) so here are my impressions:

In the bottle: Flowers. Are we sure this isn't Flower Moon? Ah, no, there is the hint of honey. Well, I'll try anything once!!

Wet: Jasmine and Gardenias, it smells like my grandmother's bathroom!

Drydown: Hmm, there's the honey. The flower smell fades away, leaving only the honey to my nose.

Husband's thoughts: Smells a little powdery, but a good powdery. Definately some honey in there, very good.

End result: I'll buy the bottle from Emu Nymph, and make sure to put it on early so that it's all dry when I leave the house. :P

In the bottle: Honey and ginger are in there. I can tell that much. Also I can smell something floral. Probably the gardenia as I'm familiar with jasmine and it doesn't smell like jasmine usually smells. I was expecting something way stronger and more honey scented, but this is actually kind of light and feminine flirty rather than seductive womanly.

Wet: Honey that fades out to the background pretty quickly and...well, it was the green sharp of thyme but this is changing quickly. Floral. This is a stronger floral than I had been anticipating. The honey becomes a background note to the florals, enriching them.

Dry down: Florals with a honey background that seeps through the florals themselves. This does not smell cloying, though, which I had been afraid of when I bought it. Honey scents and I don't usually get along, but I wanted to try this. But, yeah, the honey's coming out more now and overpowering the rest of the notes. This is yellow and not sticky but you can tell that it's thick rather than heavy. Mostly honey with maybe a touch of ginger in there as well. This isn't what I had expected, but it's also not something that I love. I'm not sure I'd even be able to wear it because of my aversion to smelling like food (unless it's fruit.) This is a little too sweet for me.

Dry: Honey with a floral background. It's not overwhelming, but it also doesn't take my breath away with its loveliness. I think it's a pretty blend, but not really anything I'd want to wear on a regular basis. A little more of the ginger is out now, which is nice. But it's still too...not me.

This was the other imp in the circular swap that included Fire Eater.

In the bottle and Wet: OMG honey!

Drying down: Still mostly honey, but the gardenia is coming out.

Dry: It's settled down to a honeyed floral scent. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any of the bite I'd expect from the ginger. There's also an oddly musty scent; it's not a bad smell really. Makes me think of old clothes that haven't been aired in years.

I love the honey smell but I'm not all that thrilled with the florals underneath it. It does, however, make me want to try some of the other blends that have honey in them.

This was gorgeous, slick and sticky, golden and delicious honey! It went through phases where the ginger and / or the gardenia would peek out meekly, but for the most part it was simply the lovely honey. It had a good throw and lasted a very long time! I could even smell it when I woke up this morning, so I'd say it lasted about 19 hours or so.

Beautiful! :P

First sniff:

Honey? Honey! Actually I get nothing but Honey and maybe a bit of whatever makes O smell so yummy. Not the sexy part of O but the flirty part. Maybe that's the lunar flowers speaking.

Wet:

Mmm honey laced flowers. This actually reminds me a lot of a tea I used to buy called Honey Rolleover. It's a very warm honey, not ridculously sweet and cloying. It reminds me a lot of Hod actually.

Drydown

Honeycomb honeycomb honeycomb! I can't smell anything left but the honey, theres no tinge of flower just pure golden bee hunny. It's a scent that Winnie The Pooh would ADORE.

Aftermath

Do you love Honey? Get your hands on Honey Moon! It's super-fantastic, has amazing staying power and is very very yum. A keeper!

In the bottle, bright, tangy honey.

On, same thing but the gardenia quickly pops out(as usual, *sigh*), and takes over. After about 10 minutes, starts to go powdery/generic perfume on me~Hawaiian White Ginger(*sneezesneeze*), *not* a favorite, never has been.

Stays powdery, unfortunately. That "old lady" powdery so many refer to. It does have nice throw and lasts most of the day, though. This, I believe, is the first honey blend that didn't work on me, but w/the gardenia and Hawaiian White Ginger, it's no surprise :P Guess it's just as well that this bottle is going to a friend.

This was much greener than I anticipated at first sniff, a ton of thyme underneath the sweetness of rich honey. The thyme stays throughout the whole blend making this sweet, but not too sweet. There’s a hint o of spice and ginger at points, but it’s also an under scent beneath the honey. Gorgeous and rather like sipping mead at the fair, love love love it.

I have a mixed reaction to this one. Opening the bottle, I smell an herby, subdued honey that turns into a nice, warm skin scent once it's applied.

However, as my skin tends to amp up flowers like no tomorrow, about 20 mins in, it'd still nice, sweet honey when I touch my nose to my wrist, but I have this aura of floaty jasmine about me. That'd be great, except for the fact that jasmine gives me a blinding headache in large doses, and I slathered.

I may have to consider swapping this, which is a shame because I absolutely love the honey stage.

In Bottle: Honey and florals with something slightly minty.

On Skin: Well, the honey is strong, that’s a very good thing. The ginger and thyme give it suprising spice and make it a bit exotic. I smell something almost medicinal which is bothering me, is it the thyme? The jasmine and gardenia are there, but light at first. They come out stronger as the scent progresses. I am losing the sweet note of the honey, I hope it comes back.

In the Imp: not bad. smells pretty good - honey that's tempered a bit - must be the ginger and thyme.

On the skin: pretty good. I was a bit hesitant to order this one, as I wasn't sure how honey and I get along. going along ok - smells like fresh honey, golden and clear and sticky.

Over time the darker honeys come out. the drydown is quite similar to O, which I really didn't care for. I prefer the wet/fresh phase over they drydown.

this lasts a LONG time. if you like honey, if you like O, I think you'll really dig Honey Moon. as for me, maybe as my nose evolves I'll appreciate it more. at this point, however, there's so many other amazing scents to enjoy that this falls well down on my list.

I hunted down a stray bottle of this here on the Forum, and I'm soooooooo glad I did! In case you couldn't tell, I love Honey.

In the bottle it didn't smell as sweet as I expected, the honey scent was there, but an astringent herbal scent (the thyme I guess?) came sharply to the fore, followed by wisps of the scent I recognise from the other two lunacy blends I've smelled. It was kind of sharp smelling and I was afraid.

When it touched my skin, I caught a waft of the "just on the good side of rank" sweetness that I associate with honey, and then right behind it a whiff of florals. Sweet heavy flowers at their absolute peak of blossoming. Rich, complex, and almost like honey on their own.

ETA: I just realized (after I clicked submit of course!) that it's not flowers I smell on my skin, it's nectar. That's why briefly this reminded me of Chuparosa (though not as sweet, and I'm still trying to decide if chuparosa is rank or nice), because of the nectar-y smell

After 20 minutes, the flowers really softened (I'm glad), and an almost powdery scent began to develop, but not a baby power, just a dry soft honey scent. Like powdered honey, with something faintly spicy mixed in. All of this stage was calmed, cooled and underscored by a tinge of mintiness.

I love this scent! It didn't smell like I anticipated, but it's still beautiful. It's rich and nuanced and lovely. I was afraid at first that it would turn funky or to baby powder on me, and I'm so glad it didn't.

I

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

::swoons::

I LOVE THIS. Like, ALOT.

::grins lopsidedly:: It brings back ridiculously pleasant memories of playing with scented my little ponies as a kid, though this does *not* smell fake at all. The ginger and the honey make this sort of syrupy combination that like rich golden honey with teeny spiky toothpicks of ginger floating around, and a few jasmine blossoms dotting here and there.

Yay for bees, yay for flowers and YAY FOR BETH!

~Fox

I didn't get this because I thought honeys didn't work on my skin.

I was horribly, horribly wrong. It smells all smooth, and rich and honeyed and it's hard to describe it better. I still haven't even sent it off yet for Fire Eater's Honey Moon partly because I've been at work during Post Office hours, but secretly I like having it around to open up and take a huge whiff of!

Initial Sniff: Honey and green herbs.

Wearing: When wet, this is very herbal and green and surprisingly not sweet. As it dries, it is the strangest phenomenon... this glorious honey scent wafts up to my nose, but when I put my nose up to my wrists to smell, it is all green meadow. Very strange! After several hours the green goes away and just leaves honey behind. This also has amazing staying power!

Final Impressions: This is amazing.

I hadn't expected to like this at all, as I didn't sit well with the Honey SN or any other blends heavy on the honey. But this blend actually smells more like real honey to me than those did! I get some soft florals, but they aren't turning to soap on me, and the ginger gives a lovely spicy kick to the blend :D so far, so good...if it changes any more I'll add the the review.

ADDED July 31:

I have not found a BPAL honey that worked for me...until now :P

This is soft, sweet wildflower honey, with a gentle pollon note and a tiny touch of spice from the ginger.

Oh yes, and this is DAH SHIZNIT when layered with Milk Moon! :D

In the bottle, this smelled exactly like fresh delicious honey - for about 5 seconds, and then I got smacked in the face with my nemesis, jasmine. Oh, how jasmine hates me and wants to ruin all my fun. It overpowers everything else in every blend I've ever tried it in.

But still, this might be different, so I tried it on....yep, that there is some jasmine. Jasmine jasminejasminejasmine! It's not gross, but it is overwhelmingly floral and intense, and not what I'm looking for in something called Honey Moon. Maybe if it was Jasmine Moon...

Anyway, after an hour or three, the jasmine decides to calm down a bit and the scent settles into a very sweet, pleasant faint honey and lunar oils. It's nice, but not to die for. I want to try it a couple more times before I give up on it completely, but if it remains so strongly jasmine, it can't live at my house. :P

First sniff: very Honey almost mead like. I just sat in the back of my friends call sniffing this one.

Wearing it on me the flowers came out uber strong mainly the white gardenia. And it just wouldn't go away. That's all I could smell.

So I gave it to annanda. glad it has a good new home.

In the bottle and wet: it's consistant, but not what I expected. Lightly sweet, generically perfumey, and a hint of somethign fruity -- maybe a melon. One of those watery fruits. But no real strong "honey" scent to it so far. Pretty decent throw though.

Drying: a wee hint of honey is starting to come out. Sort of a honey melon. Odd. Still nothing what I expected this to sound like.

Dry a few minutes: maybe that's a sniff of honey? Yes, YES! Honey is starting to come out! Oddly, it smells more of honey from further away than it does close up, where it still smells vaguely florally melon. And there something a tad bit astringent under neath. Odd.

Dry a bit longer: the honey is more prominent and richer, and the other notes are more background, but that little astringent bit tickles my nose. huh. Is it possible that the little astringent bit is a green strawberry? I *know* I tried on honey moon, not strawberry, but I'm getting a strawberry impression here.

Dry 45min-an hour or so: LOVE THIS NOW. Wonderful throw. I'm just sitting there watching TV, no breeze, and each breath brings me sweet honey. Not cloying at all, and not quite as rich as I'd expected, but a warm & comforting honey. (Slight undertone of watery fruit still, but slight.) Helping to soothe my heart after a tough week. How nice that this arrived on my birthday! If I sniff up close, there's still a hint of the astringent green strawberry, but I'm getting lovely wafts of this as I move around, unlike many scents which I can only find right up close.

Dry about 4.5 hours: Still lovely warm honey. Finally not quite as strong but still getting random whiffs. Yay!

This is absolutely lovely.

Edited by Muppetk

Unfortunately, this one is not for me.

My chemistry latches on to the thyme & refuses to allow anything else to develope.

Normally, anything with florals & ginger are outrageously beautiful on me. Here, I can't even smell them. (Weird, I know.)

Honey was a note that I didn't have any experience with, so Honey Moon was definitely worth a try. I get a few moments of lucious honey & then nothing but thyme.

Honey Moon was a big disappointment. :P

Since "aged" BPAL blends work much better on me, I may save this one & try it again at a later time.

First Impression: Sweet honey and fresh, fresh thyme.

Second Impression: This is such a gorgeous and well blended fragrance, yet I can indentify many of the notes quite easily. I smell thick, sweet honey. The honey from O, the honey from La Petite Mort, the Honey from Athens. The jasmine is there, sweet and floral with a touch of ginger. All of this sweetness is tempered and grounded by the most wonderful and fresh thyme ever.

Final Analysis: I can't wear most honey based scents and I was so hoping this would be an exception. Milk Moon was such a success, but with this blend, the honeymoon's over. :P

in the bottle: pure, unadulterated, thick, rich, delicious honey. i could be smelling a bottle of honey just purchased from kau'ai.

on my wrist, wet: the honey is still the most apparent scent, and there are now added notes of white hawa'iian flowers. at first i thought gardenia, then jasmine. then both.

on my wrist, dry: now the thyme is popping in, as though the wind just wafted across a field of fresh growing, flowering herbs.

dry down: all of the above, with the tropical breezes carrying with them now the hint of ginger, now the florals, one two three, now the thyme. but always always through the thick viscous sweetness of honey.

eta: this blend has the longest wearing time of any of the lab's oils that i have tried thus far. i first put this on sunday morning. more than 24 hours, several hand washings and a lengthy shower later, it is still going strong!

Edited by tesao

I am thrilled that my bottle arrived on Lammas--I take it as a sign that I should use it in ritual *and* drink some of DH's homemade mead tonight! :P

Sniffing the pretty bottle with the yellow-trimmed label: no honey yet--just the crisp lunar oils (whatever they may be) and some herbs; the thyme perhaps?

On me: the ginger comes out, and the (urgh) jasmine--why does jasmine love me when I hate it? *How* can it drown out other notes this way? There's a bit of the gardenia from Lady of Shalott...and still no honey. Wait, maybe a *tiny* bit way down in there, but I wouldn't even have noticed had I not been sniffing for it. This is mainly an herby lunar blend with some mixed sweet notes underneath.

Nope, 'O' is still the honey scent for me. I'll save some of this for ritual and decant the rest into imps.

I got to try this, thanks to the lovely brownbear!

This is really a true honey and my skin chemistry doesn't seem to change it in any way; it stays true to the "in-the-bottle" scent on me.

Honey, pure and sweet. I can tell the floral notes are there, but *barely*. The ginger adds just a tiny bit of spiciness and more warmth.

I really like this! I think this would make a beautiful Spring or Fall scent, most of all.

Initial Sniff: Woooaaahhh there cowboy, what's up with all the jasmine? It's all I'm getting, really.

So, I let it sit for a day before actually trying on my skin, and swirled a touch as well.

Skin Swipe: Hmm, very sweet and the jasmine is playing nicely for a change! It's not beating the other notes into submission, rather blending beautifully with them to have an even, soft, sweet scent. It's really hard for me to pick out the honey or gardenia, but I recognize the lunar oil bits. Don't know what they are, but they're familiar from previous moons.

After a while: Well, we had some good times, and now we're having some bad. It's semi-powdery and trying my throat out a bit. Yesterday was when I wore it and damn did I cough crazy much. Normally I don't have a cough, but my throat felt so dry and icky. I still can't pick out individual notes, it's blended so well, but it's still sweet.

Muuuch later, like right before bed time later: Please don't hit me, but dirty baby diapers, I kid you not. The powder is soo overwhelming by this point, and the jasmine so animal, that I had the strongest mental image of a dirty baby diaper it's ridiculous.

Overall: Well, it's not what I thought (but I know better than to imagine what things will smell like in advance, disappointment ensues), but it's not overly bad either. It's a beautifully blended perfume, sweet and lovely. The drydown is a bit of a disaster on my skin. But you know what? I'm going to let this one age a month or two and try it out again. :P

Like a number of folks here, I usually don't get on well with honey. For me, wearing honey-based blends is sort of like incorporating honey into your lovelife - much better in theory than in practice.

That said, Honey Moon isn't nearly as heavy or cloying as the other honey blends I've tried. During the wet stage, it smells like a subtle, white floral arrangement that's been misted with honey-water. As it dries down, there's more of a powdery-honey scent - soft and sweet, but definitely dry. The lunar herbs and florals definitely make this more wearable for me - not an all time favorite, but damn good! :P