Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

Honey Moon

Honey Moon contains five different honeys, ranging from pale and sweet to deep and heady, with hints of jasmine, white gardenia, Hawaiian white ginger and thyme.

Sometimes BPAL's honey note(s) smell fermented on me, or like they were added to sparkling water (not good). This is NOT the case with Honey Moon. In the imp AND on, it's like golden, sweet honey squeezed from a little bear's head. I can barely detect the florals, but it blends so well it's like the honey came from a lovely wild garden. This blend is perfect!

This starts out with clean, luscious honey, and there is some crisp ginger cutting into the sweetness.

Then, the creamy gardenia and a hint of soft jasmine add a lovely floral breath.

This is definitely not single-note honey, I would even say that honey is not the main note - the ginger and the florals are more dominant to my nose.

It is a beautiful blend, surely one of Beth's masterpieces, and damned if I don't only have 1/4 imp to suck dry....

:P

4.8 out of 5

Edit to add: Won a 5mL from ebay, and was it worth it!!!! I should say that jasmine can be one of my favorite notes (when it is sweet and heady rather than sharp and penetrating), but the jasmine in Honey Moon is lusciously delicate - to die for! Gorgeous, honeyed jasmine-gardenia-ginger heaven!!!!!!

Edited by AEris

In the bottle: Mixed floral... pleasant, not strong. Not getting much honey. Actually getting a whiff of maple candy!

On the skin: Florals strengthen.

After a while: Noseclose: gardenia. Nosefar: WOW. Honey. Bpal honey is normally very very very subtle on me, but this is wow.

Verdict: It's a bit too floral, but I really like it! Love the long throw honey!

Edited by j4r

God, this is a cage match between honey and jasmine. And somehow thyme is in the mix. It's this weird goopy honey with jasmine that taste like thyme.

Huh?

Yeah.

I was hoping for the honey that everyone raves about. Instead I got floral. No trace of honey to be found. Just floral. :P

In the bottle, on the skin, dry. All just floral.

Immediately on, this smells like honeyed light florals, but within about a minute, the jasmine and gardenia take center stage. It becomes all white flowers, and although it's not my style, it doesn't give me a headache and force me to wash it off like most jasmine.

Dry, it is a decent pretty floral with a touch of honey. When sniffing myself, I get honey at first but the longer I sniff, the more I notice just the flowers.

As time goes on and I forget I'm wearing this, I have discovered that the throw is delightfully delicious rich honey. Very nice! But again, when I sniff myself, I get mostly jasmine and gardenia.

Overall, I would be in heaven if this didn't have the flowers in it. I love this type of honey scent - not candylike super-sweet honey, but an exotic and full-bodied honey with beeswax and propolis bits inside. :P I will keep my imp, but that should be enough.

This one is indeed, all honey. It reminds me of LUSH's B Never gel except not as heavy. I am not a big honey lover (read: not at all) but I can understand the attraction for those that like it, I do think it is a great representation of it.

This started out as a light, bright, sweet honey. Then something terrible happened and it turned musty. Almost like erasers (like the ones on the back of #2 pencils). This had so much potential that I've got to test it again to make sure today isn't an off day for my skin chemistry. I'd hate to swap it away only to realize that it's perfect for me.

Guh. I'm so indecisive.

The honey is beautiful but overpowered by the gardenia...

wet: the floral is starting to laydown and the honey is coming through

In the imp: Sharp...honey and jasmine.

Wet: Beeswax and honey with jasmine right there taunting me. The gardenia isn't helping either >< Meh.

Dry: As this dries the heinous floral notes really mellow out...a lot (surprisingly). I can still smell that stinky diaper scent of jasmine underneath everything but if I ignore it I'm smelling a wonderfuly rich honey scent with a slight herbal note. Very pretty!

Overall: Unfortunately I think the jasmine in this ruined it for me...maaayyybeee...I'll have to wear this a bit more to see how I feel. Without the jasmine this is drop dead delicious. I'm on the fence :)

Well - it's RMW, but I couldn't resist trying this one as soon as I got it! (well, that and the BPTP Oceans of Love & Millions of Kisses). It's an herbal honey in the bottle, but then turns into honeyed pencil shavings next. Which isn't necessarily bad, just strange... I will have to retest it in a week... .)

Wow, this blend is different than I thought it would be! I tried it on before reading the notes and was surprised to smell some floral. Very beautiful! With the first application. I thought this scent smelled a lot like The Emathides. Then the honey began to emerge. Beautiful, tasty, and more throw than expected!

Honey Moon 2005

In the Vial: A very bright honey. Not like honey we normally get from the farmer's market. Less syrupy. It smells the way I wished that honey would taste to me. Very pleasant!

Wet: Still that light and bright honey but now very much so floral. Sort of like a gardenia-- thickly heady and sweet at the same time.

Drydown: Honey is still there, for sure, but this has dried down to a distinctly floral perfume. And I mean, perfume. Sometimes, I don't like "perfumey" but this one is lovely and is designated 'perfumey' in the best possible way IMHO.

Verdict: Probably one of the blends with honey as a major element, that I like the most. I'm incredibly grateful I got the chance to sniff and test this, and I definitely like it. I'm a hoarder and a wishy-washy person and so predisposed to want one of something 'just in case' I feel like 'something different today.' This would be what I would choose for a sweet and perfumey floral. Not too sharp. Not powdery. Enough throw to be noticeable without knocking people out. Gorgeous! Too bad this is probably impossible to get. Ah well. :( I'll keep an eye out in case I get lucky!

For some reason, I'm always wary of honey, so this blend came as a pleasant surprise. The honey is perfectly tempered by the floral notes, balanced so it doesn't become cloying, as honey often does with my chemistry. There's an herbal note in the background as well, which in turn keeps the florals from growing too strong, and it adds a bit of spice, as well.

This is beautiful, though I'm not head-over-heels. Thankfully so--I've seen the heartfelt pleas for bottles. *g*

I got a 1/4 decant from the Easter Bunny last month. I hadn't checked the notes before application, and my immediate thought was honey + jasmine.

Jasmine is kind of like Denzel Washington. No matter what movie he's in, whether it's bad or good or what other actors are with him, he always strikes the same notes, and you always know what you're going to get out of him. The same is true of jasmine. It always threatens me with cat pee on application, but it settles down into a heady floral which smells the same to me no matter what other notes are in the blend with it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I *amp* jasmine, as it usually plays pretty well with other notes, but it doesn't vary much.

And this, despite it being Honey Moon, is definitely more jasmine than honey. Now that it's been on for a while, I even smell more *ginger* than honey. Perhaps it's just the age, because honey - straight up or in musk - is pretty distinctive in every other blend that I've tried.

This is okay, but not the thick raw honey I was expecting even though I usually amp honey. I didn't really get the exotic gardenia or ginger either; what I got was jasmine, thyme, and very light honey, in that order. Surprisingly this wasn't a cat-pee jasmine on me, but that may be because something else in the blend tempered it. It's good for those who like their honey on the light side and can tolerate an herbal background, but I vastly prefer Hony Mone.

:cry2: This could have been so good but that wretched jasmine showed up and ruined everything. I can also smell thyme, but any chance of honey and supposedly there are five of them, were drowned out by the jasmine and thyme. So very sad.

Edited by Schmoozy

Wet: A honey that I can wear! :woohoo: The blend of five honeys is slightly sweet and musty....it's gorgeous.

Drydown: I lose again. My gorgeous honey went away and was replaced by the evil that is headache inducing jasmine. :rasp: *sigh* I have to wash this off now.

Well, BPAL honeys hate me, and I don't like most jasmines, so I'm sure you can figure out the ending of this story. The honeys went powdery and jasmine and thyme razzed me. :rasp:

Review from 2005.

In the Vial: Honey, flowers, ginger, and... powder. The best way to describe the sweetness of this is to say it's mouldy. I get this strange and uncomfortable sensation in either side of my throat when I smell this. I am not enjoying this, and I'm hesitant to let it touch my skin.

Wet: Reminds me a lot of O; it has that same rotten sugary powder smell. As the seconds pass, the powder scent becomes more prominent, pushing that sickly sweet scent away.

Dry: Pure powder, and still retaining that rotten, spoiled air. The sweetness has eased up so it's no longer sickly sweet, but still bearably, comfortably sweet. This smells nothing like honey, or at least not any honey I've ever smelled before. This is also nowhere near as thick as a honey scent should smell; it's very light, owing to the inevitable powder scent.

An Hour Later: After a long while, it begins to smell ever so slightly like real honey... but not a fraction of enough to mask the rotten powder.

Overall: I think it's time to realize that honey doesn't get along with my skin. Goodbye, Honey Moon!

Bottle: Sweet, honeyed jasmine and a bittle of bite that is either the ginger or thyme. It's present but not particularly strong.

Wet: Like most honey scents on my skin, the wet phase is kind of funky. One of the honeys goes very high pitched and sharp--almost a little BO-ey. Thankfully, this phase is mercifully short and it's saved by the gardenia of all notes (normally, gardenia is not a good thing on my skin. It can get whiffs of eau de banana about it). The gardenia is subtle and strong, grounding the florals and honey and making this smell like a cohesive scent.

Dry: A warm mix of jasmine and honey, super close to the skin and warm and sexy. It might partially be the jasmine/honey/ginger combo reminding me of my youthful staple of Calgon Hawaiian Ginger, but it does seem like a very young and flirty type of scent. Seems appropriate for summertime, as its sweet and fresh without being cloying and would benefit from body heat and humidity. It also seems like a good scent for transitioning from work into date night.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I've always been super curious to try this and am stoked that I tracked down a bottle and it works on me. Will be wearing this a lot as the weather warms up and spring and summer start to appear.

Edited by paperrose

In the bottle, there's an astringent bite to it that confuses my nose. Wet on my skin, this is very strong, with mostly gardenia and a little jasmine. However, it's not pure floral, and I can get a hint of the pollen-like honey sweetening everything up.

I can't wait to see how this dries, but I'm not sure I need a whole bottle with how strong this is.

Decanted graciously by Evanescence. I saw this and could not hold myself back, as honey is my vice just as much as aquatics are, and with ginger? And thyme? SIGN. ME. UP.

In the decant: HONEY GINGER GARDENIA YES and then...scent memory of Sweethearts. The ones that taste like chalk. Oh god, shit, I can't unsmell it.

On me, wet: Thank god, not sweethearts anymore! These are the honeys from Womb Furie, aren't they? It smells like the same onslaught of gorgeous honeys. I'm not getting a lot of ginger, but the jasmine and gardenia are perfect in this blend and keep it smelling like honey rather than like generically sweet, vaguely powdery whatever, which is what my skin likes to do to BPAL's honey note no matter how much I love it and like to pretend it isn't true. I mostly smell like honey and gardenias and jasmine, still not getting much ginger or thyme.

On me, dry: Wow, does jasmine do this in every blend? Because that is a lot of jasmine. I mean, I really love the honey notes and I think jasmine and gardenia were ultimately good things to put with honey, but I kind of wanted at least a little ginger, or thyme, or...more honey? I will say that the honey did not turn into powder, for which I am grateful. It's not that I don't like the smell of jasmine, it's that I'd kind of like to smell other things. I'll love my tiny sniffie, though--honeys that don't powder are glorious things. :D

Bump for 2013 reviews:

HONEY MOON 2013

From honey sprang this Plant to life; with honey now we dig thee up.

Make us as sweet as honey, for from honey hast thou been produced.

My tongue hath honey at the tip, and sweetest honey at the root:

Thou yieldest to my wish and will, and shalt be mine and only mine.

My coming in is honey-sweet and honey-sweet, my going forth:

My voice and words are sweet: I fain would be like honey in my look.

Sweeter am I than honey, yet more full of sweets than licorice:

So mayst thou love me as a branch full of all sweets, and only me.

Around thee have I girt a zone of sugar-cane to banish hate.

That thou mayst be in love with me, my darling never to depart.

- Hymns of the Atharva Veda, XXXIV

Honey Moon contains five different honeys, ranging from pale and sweet to deep and heady, with hints of jasmine, white gardenia, Hawaiian white ginger and thyme.

I wavered over buying this because I have so many honey scents already, but I couldn't resist the promise of white ginger.

In the bottle: Inexplicably, this smells quite fruity and tropical, with strong cherry-almond overtones.

Wet: More floral and honey now, but it retains that suggestion of cherry-almond. I hope it stays this nice!

Hour and a half: Still tropical floral, like tiare only without that foody caramel richness. This is very beautiful, an intensely sweet floral that nevertheless isn't sugary, foody, headachy, or overripe. If this stays this way, I will love my bottle.

Four hours: Beautiful tropical floral on a background of honey. This is the nicest tropical floral I think I've tried in the whole catalogue. Definite keeper.

Well, I love Honey Moon 2013 immoderately. It's the nicest a tropical floral has ever smelled on my skin! There's honey, but not enough to cloy, overwhelm, or render foody the beautiful floral note which I think must be the Hawaiian white ginger. It doesn't smell like jasmine or gardenia, so it must be white ginger, right? I still have no idea where that initial cherry-almond impression came from; it was pretty, but it went away pretty much immediately.

I will treasure my bottle of this!