Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Becky

Black Rose vs. Spellbound?

I was wondering if there is a big difference between these scents. both are rose, amber and musk. I got a sample of Spellbound and it was way too rosy for me, so is Black Rose pretty much the same? I noticed that I had it on my list of what I want to try, but since Spellbound didn't work out, I'm wondering.

thanks.

Black Rose is rosier than Spellbound.

yikes! thats what I was afraid of. well thanks ladies, I guess I can cross one off the list. but that means that another has to take its place right?

:P

I'm having a hard time choosing between the two...

Black Rose: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Spellbound: a blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

For those who have tried both (like I have, but my imps are over a year old now so they may not be that accurate or fresh and my memory isn't too hot) please can you tell me what you think the differences in these scents are and which you prefer and why?

Bugger, I just found the old thread of this. Feel free to merge and warn... I'll go back to lurking again.

Celebrity Death Match: Black Rose: vs. Spellbound: :P

I find that Black Rose plays well with others--i.e. for layering, whereas Spellbound needs to stand alone. So I'll pair Black Rose with Haunted or Vice or anything that I want to add some dark rose goodness to, but Spellbound *already* has all the depth it can stand. If that makes sense.

Celebrity Death Match: Black Rose: vs. Spellbound:  :P

I find that Black Rose plays well with others--i.e. for layering, whereas Spellbound needs to stand alone. So I'll pair Black Rose with Haunted or Vice or anything that I want to add some dark rose goodness to, but Spellbound *already* has all the depth it can stand. If that makes sense.

On that, and the word sensual in the blurb, I'm going for the bottle of Spellbound - thanks! :D

My imp of Spellbound was way too sweet for me. But my Black Rose was perfect. It is great for layering - especially the darker, warm scents like Aureus.

So if you like a hint of rose in a sweet oil, Spellbound's your oil. If you like Roses straight up, Black Rose's your gal.

I couldn't wear Spelbound at all but love Black Rose. BR is one of those multipurpose BPAL "staples" for me. I use it for layering & especially for amping up my hair products.

Good stuff!!!!

And if you don't like roses, I think you will love Spellbound!

I think it is a wonderful blend.

BR is better than Spellbound, which I found unwearable! Ha! I'm sure that's really helpful--they smell nothing alike to me.

I have and love both scents. :P

And what everyone else here said. Black Rose is R to the O S E. In fact, I would compare it to the LE Peacock Queen. The amber and musk in Black Rose are very much in the background and add a depth and richness to the rose.

Spellbound is much more amber/musk. I would classify it as "sexy femme fatale perfume." Though the rose is still there, I don't get "floral!" right away like I do with Black Rose. And a word of warning: Spellbound can stain! Don't get it on light clothing.

Edited by Chrysantza

I couldn't wear Spelbound at all but love Black Rose.
I have to agree with that - Black Rose is the only rose blend in the catalogue that I can wear at all, and I really like it. The only exception is Wanton - Feminine sexuality in it,s rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli. - in which the roses take a back seat. Edited by Galen