Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

King of Clubs

The Queen’s Consort: Lord of the Wide and Fertile Land. Patient, laborious, and clever, though preoccupied with material things. A perfect compliment to his Queen: deeper, darker earth notes with dark musk, tobacco leaf, oakmoss, amber, leather, sage and vetiver with fig and bitter almond.

This is really incredible. I love how earthy this is, while the queen is above ground, the king is below for me. He is deeper and musky, he has that almond-fig thing going on, I love him with a passion. Now I just need to bathe a man in this, and I will be in heaven. I love it on myself, and when I have worn it, I cant stop sniffing myself! The only problem with that is, I sniff myself, then I think of a man, a man I dont even know! This could cause some chaos! I'm loving this stuff, and ever man who comes into my house must put some on! J/K

A dark, subterranean scent, cleverly constructed so no one note gains predominance. It wears close to the skin, with minimal sillage. Not terribly long lasting, but oh so nice while it is around.

king of clubs

at first: very earthy and damp. a bit sweet.

on: lots of woods and something slightly sweet. way too earthy for me, i think.

1.5 hours later: not as strong, but sharp. there are soft woods underneath.

4 hours later: sweeter, but still lots of woods.

overall: far too earthy for me.

Wow this is so well blended it is almost impossible for me to pick out any individual notes. Musky, earthy and a touch of sweetness. I just want to slather this all over the BF and then jump him. The king is a very sensual masculine scent.

Dude review: I tried this out on my BF last night, he reaction was that the King was his favorite scent by far and that's about all I got out of him other then him appropriating the bottle! :P However my nose picked up that his skin amped up the woodsy feel of this while on me it is sweeter.

My Impression: Dark, musky, herbal, sexy and manly. I am keeping the imp I got to try on my man...(If I ever find one that is) :P

I'm having a run of non-happy scents, so I'm hoping beyond hope that this doesn't go the route of the Queen and actually works on me.

In the vial - Lots of herbs. Slightly medicinal smell here, the same that I picked up initially with Oisin, so I'm certainly not worried.

Wet - Very sharp scent so far. Herbal, medicinal with a subtle hint of dirt.

Drying - Dark, dark, dark this. I deffinately get the tobacco and the leather. Bitter almond and moss are here, too... This is a very complex and MASCULINE scent.

Dry (1 hour later) - This reminds me more and more of Graveyard Dirt with herbs (mint especially, along with tomatoes) and a hidden note of smoky leather. I like it.

Overall - Well, I got an unasked for "you smell nice" for wearing this, so I'd say it's a keeper. A bit more manly than what I normally go for, but very grounding.

Bottle: Smells like a more masculine Queen of Clubs.

Just On: Yes, a more masculine Queen, and nice, but probably not quite my style.

An hour or two later: Yes, like the Queen of Clubs, but with cologne added in. I like it okay, but it's not to die for as far as I'm concerned.

Around 6 hours: It's very faded, just barely there now.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: I like it well enough, but am not upset to have swapped it for a much loved LE.

After reading other reviews: I too think that this was very well blended and wasn't able to pick out notes. It's a lovely scent, and probably not one I'd reach for a lot.

I'm currently testing this on my left wrist, and the Queen on my right. The King settles down much faster on my skin, rather than the strange morphing the queen does. This is a deep but powerful scent - I can smell earthiness (but not the "just dirt" earthiness the Queen goes through), tempered with something that's almost aquatic to my nose... ah. That's how my sense of smell interprets (mmmm) oakmoss. I can't smell the vetiver and almond at all - and for me, that's a very good thing.

Warmed by musk and amber, with the singularly masculine waft of oakmoss... I have a certain man I'm going to be trying this on.

And then I shall tackle him. :P

But he ain't getting my bottle no matter how good it smells on him! :D

Edited by coulrophobe

King of Clubs

In the imp: sweet almonds! It's a very mild almond note with something sweet and resinous in the background.

Wet on skin: now greener notes start to peek through-probably the sage. There's a smoky scent-possibly tobacco, and amber and perhaps some musk. It's a complex but lovely mix.

Dry on skin: holy moly, this is nicer than I expected! It's a combination of moist earth, sweet amber and ripe fig, green sage and oak moss, and smoky tobacco and possibly a sensual leather-musk scent. I'm surprised at how lovely this is, considering I was apprehensive about the tobacco, earth and leather!

After a while: yup, it's smoky! But not in a repulsive cigarette scent (yup, I'm not a smoker), but more of a really sophisticated tobacco, or even like burning incense, with leather. There's a lovely mossy green and earthy scent on top of the smoke, and a sweet, rich depth lent by amber and fig, and a bit of musk. This is sexy.

Verdict: this was a wonderful surprise! Like the Queen, this is a complex scent, multifaceted and detailed, and filled with a gorgeous selection of scents-earthy, deep, sensual, smoky, sweet, fresh and green. I was worried that the tobacco and leather would smell awful on me, but no. In here, they are lovely and work in harmony with all the other scents! It's a scent with depth and richness, and is definitely unisex-if I had a boyfriend, I bet this would smell uber-sexy on him!

Now I am kicking myself for not buying bottles of the King and Queen of Clubs!

Firstly this was slicker than most of the BPAL I've tried previously, it felt more like oil I guess. Wet on me this was very green and musty, as it dries it seems to flick through stages of fig and vetiver (incidently this is the first vetiver blend I've tried where the vetiver has actively got involved in the blend rather than just hanging around at the end). Dry on me I suddenly get this blend. It is stunning in a way that is hard to describe, when your nose catches a glimpse of it, it's drawn in closer and closer until it's touching your skin. Most of my favourite blends make me want to eat my arm, this one makes me want to hump my arm, but that's ok too :P .

My first impresion was "Mmmmm almonds" and I thought this was going to be a sweet scent. Unfortunately... it morphed quickly and became something more like mold. Yes, moldy basement. Ugh. Perhaps it's the vetiver and oakmoss in it. I can still smell some underlying sweetness but the muskiness is very sour on my skin.

Giving it some time, it becomes a bit less moldy and a bit more spicy. It tingles my nose and makes it a bit numb when I sniff my wrist.

More time, still moldy/ musty. Smells like the underside of a heavy rock.

Eventually the mold dies down and the sweetness comes out. NOW I like it- but I can't wait through the mold to get here. :P

In the bottle: Well, that's a manly almond smell. It's a somewhat pleasant earthly reek with almonds all through it. I'm not the biggest fan of almonds or most of these notes but I've got to try it. You know me.

Wet: Wow. Almonds and....this smells like something I've smelled before. It's not bad, but I'm not sure it belongs on a girl. I'm surprised with this. It makes my nose burn a little but it's comforting and dark and just nice all around. I'm gonna have to smear this on the boy to see if it smells as good on him. It reminds me of the liquor kick in vanilla extract for some reason.

Dry down: Oh. There's the fig. I'm really not a fig fan in the least so I'm hoping the fig stage is fleeting. Not that I'm gonna be wearing this one myself. No, no, no thanks. It's way too dark and full and thick for me. And now we're in a nice moss stage. Nice to smell. Let's just hope my allergies don't kick in and send me running for the soap. And the leather. Oakmoss and leather is actually a pretty good combo, esp. with the musk and even the amber scents in it. Again, not for me but it should be lovely on my boy.

Dry: Um...crap. The beginning twitches of a "OMG, what are you wearing? That's evil!" headache. And now...huh more of the dark musk and it's not quite as nice as was in the other stages. But the headache is edging to racing so I'll wash this off and toss it at the boy.

King of Clubs is a definite new love for me... I seem to be favoring more masculine geared scents lately. The King reminds me of a gorgeous shadowy forest. Dark and very green. Earthy and damp. I get a hint of leather at first but then it disappears forever after a few minutes (thankfully). And then the amber and fig start to come out and I am in complete heaven. The fig isn't as strong or sweet as it usually is on my skin, but it offers a fruity wetness to the blend and warms up nicely along with the amber. The golden amber feels like touches of sunlight falling through the forest. It's spicier and warmer in the drydown.

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. :P

On me, my only thought was, "So that's what vetiver smells like." Dark-grassy & sharp. Later, some bitter almond came through, and I love almond, so that's all right. Definitely not the winner that Queen of Clubs was for me.

On my guy - :P Pure almondy, spicy, green foody-foresty goodness! I must keep this around at all times so he can apply liberally.

In the bottle: Bitter green Leather with a touch of sweet. I admit I am scared to put this on :D

First on: This is slightly spicier then I thought it would be. The green scent is a little more forward then the leather.

Drydown: Oh god here comes the vetiver!!! I can't say I am surprised since this note hates me. Though the musk is trying to hide it a bit.

Overall: This is a very manly scent. It is a perfect scent for a man or someone who loves heavy dark scents. I am glad I got to try another scent but this baby soooo isn't me (ok no surprise here I already knew it wouldn't be).

NOTE: Ok weird, weird don't think this is odd kids it might just be me but suddenly I am wearing a lighter graveyard dirt :P If GD is moist wet new potting soil with the bag first opened this is the potting soil bag you forgot about in the corner it is a dryer less intense scent. Weird.

In bottle: Vetiver and spicy green, but something sweet that mellows the whole fragrance too. Sage and tobacco leaf are definitely distinctively there.

On me: Green and of the forest. Dark and masculine. Amber seems to be the foundation, built upon with leather, dark musk, tobacco and oakmoss, sage and vetiver.

On me, King of Clubs is warm, and sweet, the fig being the most prominent note, but blended subtly with tobacco to create a scent that the nose has trouble placing. For me it lacks the wild earthiness that many have discussed, but it is darker than King of Spades, which to me is has a similar presence. Where Spades embodies a certain mirth and passionate strength, his cousin Clubs is a quieter sort of scent. equally powerful, but more intense and withdrawn. It does little to lift my spirits, but I can sense the animal magnetism of this scent.

It's my least favorite of the Kings Diamonds, Spades, and Clubs, but that's not saying much really since I adore all three of them.

King of Clubs Haiku,

Lord of the Forest,

The Oak his royal scepter,

The warm earth his throne.

I was too new to BPAL when these were released to be brave enough to order this, and was very afraid when I finally swapped for an imp that I would fall in love, as I've been having a good run with fig and tobacco blends.

And in the imp, King of Clubs is a beautiful blend to my nose...just enough fig to make it sweet, but dark and earthy and dense...

On my skin though, something, perhaps the vetiver or the dark musk, takes over and makes this a far too animalistic blend for me. There are elements which I like, but too many which I don't for me to keep this.

King of Clubs has become one of my top 3 oils. I adore it! Damn this is so sexy!

In the bottle: earth, touch of almonds, something green/herbal in the background.

On the skin: King of Clubs to me smells like the forest floor. I think that's why I love it so much. Once on, I smell mostly mossy earth with a touch of almond. The almond blends pretty quick with the amber, leather and oakmoss. The King becomes slighly sweet, spicy and oh so sexy. As it dries the dark musk (is that black musk?) emerges.

Overall impression: This is my new holy grail. I simply cannot get enough! The King and Queen of Clubs are oh so well matched. What a wonderful gift to the forum members - thanks Beth! :P

King of Clubs to me smells like the forest floor.

cranberry hit the nail on the head with this, though i will up it one further and say that the King smells like the forest floor in a glade of Hemlocks or pines -- all soft needles and the sunlight filtering down through. sometimes dusky, sometimes green, the King is quite lovely and makes me want to sink to the floor of that forest with my King and not go anywhere for long time.

when i first put him on, i was worried that i liked it more than the Queen (i got this as an xmas gift for my BF) but now, i know i will love him in it, and i grow to love the Queen more each day.

marvelous pair. good show, beth & co! good show!

n.

*blinks* Now this is a complex scent. At first sniff, I caught tobacco, then something green next, then the amber and vetiver and earth. And after a while, it gets sharper, and the leather kind of blossoms.

This is actually almost too complex, as I kept trying to catch all the notes within the fragrance, and I couldn't. It's definitely a masculine sort of scent, but not one that I respond to as viscerally as I did to Iago.

After a while, unfortunately, the scent turns a little astringent on me, though it's still nice and spicy. Not one for my personal use, but it's a great scent.

Thanks and praise be to Bard for allowing me to procure this scent.

This is without a doubt one of the most overtly sexual and distinctely male scents so far, that I have sampled at least.

In The Bottle: Honest this smells like male sexuality. What more specific? OK I get a ton of leather, sage and musk I can sort of catch the fig and almond but I am looking for them so that may affect my oppinion. Having read the notes so many times, over and over before I actually smelled this it was easy to pick out the notes. I have been desperately wanting this scent for months.

Wet on Skin: At first swipe the leather makes it presence known and introduces you to it's good friends tobacco, vetiver and fig. It is a highly engaging and aromatic blend. There is a bite there a scary bite that makes me afraid I might be raped in the super market on some idle Tuesday. :P It is dangerously manly.

Drydown: The fierce sultry and intense notes mingle and cool down a little. In this stage I am in love. The musky, mosy, leathery, tobacco-y, ambery, sage-y, vetiverish, figgy and almondy goodness is awash with overt fuckability! Oh this one is dangerous. If you can get a hold of this scent and apply it to a male surface be prepared for the consequences such as salivating, mositening, dampening, back arching, puring, nuzzling, hair pulling, deep kissing, hip parting, waist thrusting and dry humping. :D

Love it!

I was fortunate to get this from someone in alchemylab on LJ.

In the imp, musky!!! I get some berry hints but a lot of musk!

Wet, WOW. This is a strong, in your face scent for all of a minute. Then I get a burst of figs and berries, and musk.

Drying down, the leather and vetiver notes come out to play. Vetiver and I get along but it was the first time I've tried a scent with leather. Wow. It's such a masculine scent on me (I'm more of a florals/aquatics person) but this scent is very sexy. It makes me wish I had a boyfriend to put this on and then ravish. :P

After a few hours, the leather scent is the most prominent and makes me want to layer it with a floral to sweeten it up. It's a wonderful scent but definately one I forsee being layered or swapped.

I love Queen of Clubs, so I knew I had to find King of Clubs. Plus, it has tobacco and oak moss, 2 of my favorite notes. This didn't disappoint. Definately a more masculine Queen of Clubs. Earthy and dark with a touch of tobacco and oak moss.