Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Strawberry Moon 2005

Strawberry Moon is a blending of strawberries and cream with light, dry lotus and soft ylang ylang and a touch of green tea and sage to bring it closer to Earth.

This smells like...the 80's! As someone who loved My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake and all things artificial and scented, this brings back a lot of memories :P It's a plasticky strawberry but in a really nice way. It's something I think I would wear quite a lot, and it's something I would wear for myself as a comfort scent. I love it :D Edited by ElinaMakropulos

Alas, my decant went the way of many a forumite's Strawberry Moon (if board lore is to be trusted). My notes when I tested it:

"Starts off strawberry juice/syrup, then goes through a weird acetone stage, then smells like strawberry cupcake dolls. Kind of plasticky on me. Not going to need any more of this, at all. "

It's always kind of a relief to test a rare and not fall in love!

This would be perfect for someone who likes fruity smells, but sadly I'm not a fan. It's pure strawberry.

I'll pass it on so someone else has the chance to try it though.

:P

Oh Strawberry Moon. How I adore your scent.

Initially I get tart strawberry with green tea and sage. I can faintly detect lotus and ylang ylang, but I have to really huff my arm.

The strawberry is tart and ripe, the cream is sweet and thick. Together it smells like strawberry green tea with a hint of vanilla cream. The sage grounds the blend and gives a herbal vibe to sweetness.

Absolutely Beautiful.

This smells like delicious fresh strawberries with tea and sage. However, the vanilla note under it is very plasticky! Which is weird because most vanilla does well with me. (wet) Drydown, this smells like fresh strawberries red and green in the patch. (and the yucky vanilla disappears!) :D :P It's lovely but I am not dying to own it! I am so glad that I was able to try this!!!

I think that had I gotten a lab fresh bottle of this, it'd probably have smelled different. A year ago or so I inquired from a fellow forumite on swapping for a bottle of SM. She said that her's ad "faded". Not knowing what SM smells like, I figured that'd be ok! Well, the swap came and went, and I missed the boat. Last week I got a bottle of SM from an ebay auction (Lucyintheskywithdemons, a fellow forumite).

This would probably smell better with more strawberry, but I get very faint strawberry and even some cherry (weird). When I initially applied it, it smelled like cherry cough syrup.

Dried down, it is very light strawberry, almost like an old strawberry candle. I'd give this another shot if the lab offers one up on ebay, but as is, I wouldn't wear it for everyday.

I just received a bottle of this. Fortunately, it does not have the acetone smell so many others are complaining about. Instead it is a very light strawberries and cream scent. The person who said it smelled like a Strawberry Shortcake doll is right on the money. But I do like it as a fun, light-hearted scent.

This was one I so wanted to like! I love strawberries! I wanted to like this so much that I bought several bottles of it but to my nose, it really is a pungent, kinda fake strawberry, sort of like I think strawberry hard candies smell like. At this point I only have one bottle left and I do still sniff it fairly regularly, still expecting something better....sigh...:P

Very heavy and sweet---way too much so for me; it reminds me of sticky syrup, almost fake-smelling. A pass, I think.

sniffed from the decant: strawberry jam

on skin: still strawberry jam, but i guess it is the sage and green tea somehow combining to make me smell fresh strawberries - still on the vine, with the smell of the crisp green stalks and leaves!

overall? this is lovely - if a sweet strawberry scent sounds appealing to you, then absolutely yes!

as it settles: the longer i wear this, the less it smells like jam, and the more it smells like a bowl of real, fresh strawberries.

to compare it to other things... the closest comparison i can think of would be the scents of Lush's American Cream and YYY mixed. or possibly a bowl of Quaker Strawberries & Cream oatmeal.

this scent would be so perfect layered with a Lush SFF massage bar :lovestruck:

At first sniff I get artificial strawberries and vanilla, but on the exhale it becomes strawberry jam.

Will need to test further!

This smells like...the 80's! As someone who loved My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake and all things artificial and scented, this brings back a lot of memories :) It's a plasticky strawberry but in a really nice way. It's something I think I would wear quite a lot, and it's something I would wear for myself as a comfort scent. I love it :)

I second this!!

I refer to strawberry moon as my 'Strawberry Shortcake' perfume :)

Sure that doesn't say real life strawberries, but as a child of the 80's, it pleases me :D

Persephone76 picked this up for me from the DD trunk show, and I was a little apprehensive about it when I sniffed it. It smelled like strawberries and alcohol.Not boozy, not winey, I mean alcohol. And on me....not much better. It kinda did a wierd strawberry alcohol tango that in the drydown really faded. I had a bit of strawberry, but then nothing else. Not a keeper, sadly.

In the bottle: Golden oil. Surprisingly tart, candyish. I get wild strawberry more than traditional strawberry. Definitely some bubblegum-lotus, and a strong kick of green tea.

Wet: More green and herbal - green tea even more apparent, and the sage too - the latter is a tad sharp/mentholic, while the former is mostly fresh/grassy. Much less sweet.

Dry: More and more sage. This reminds me a lot of Bewitched, but less soapy, less sweet and more herbal. It's almost a bit bitter. Not getting any cream or ylang ylang, and lotus has greatly faded.

Later: A bit more of the wild strawberry coming out again, although it's going a bit fake/plastic on me as strawberry typically does. It's the same note from Fruit Moon and Bon Vivant

Summary: Slightly plasticky, sweet-tart wild strawberry, grassy green tea, and slightly medicinal sage with a whisper of cream beneath it all. Decent throw, good lasting power.

Quite nice. If it weren't plasticky, I'd probably keep this. It evolves beautifully for the most part, and the cream works very well when it finally emerges.

it's strawberry and floral with a bit of sage, not sweet and strawberry enough for me.

In the bottle and wet this is all strawberry cough syrup--you need to wait for the drydown to really appreciate it. Once it does dry down (give it about 2-3 minutes), it's bona fide strawberries and cream--seriously, I can smell the ripe, fresh fruit and cream with just enough tang to the berries to keep them from venturing into the cloying cough-syrup territory of the wet stage. There's also something sexy and floral about this in the background, which must be the lotus and ylang ylang. I really don't get any green tea or sage from it, which is more than fine with me because I'm not a green fan.

Soft, sweet sugary strawberries and cream. The cream actually doesn't go sour on my skin. It stays true to form. Definitely has hints of strawberry bubble yum gum going on...but the cream keeps the strawberry in check. I see why others like this.

I was so excited to try this thanks to a generous BPAL'er on LJ (thanks, Katu!). Strawberry Moon '09 is one of my very favorite BPAL scents, so I couldn't wait to try out the original.

First impression from the bottle: :ack: Strawberries & hairspray... or maybe strawberry-scented hairspray? Ugh. I'm almost afraid to try it, but who knows when I'd have the chance to try this again.

On: Ah, this is lovely. Nothing like the chemical sharpness I got from the bottle--just light, sweet strawberries and cream. It reminds me very much of the strawberry cake note from I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain. If you wanted to like that one, but found it too foodie or disliked the spice from the carnation, I think you'd love this. It's very faint, however... I think I'd need to slather this to get any throw.

Later: This is actually getting a little stronger now, but the scent's not changed much. Really lovely, and I'm so glad I got to try it!

I only have an imp of this. A teeny tiny imp. I must hoard the precious!

Seriously - this is so enticing, so lovely. I love the scent of strawberries mixed with sage and green tea. My skin amps sage which I find to be delicious and the strawberry never goes away. Underneath is a sweet creaminess that I find very pleasant. I can only wish and pray that I find a bottle of this some day. :wub2:

Sadly, the ylang ylang and sage kind of ruin this for me. I tend to like my sweet scents to be over the top, so I wish the strawberries and cream would have been stronger.

This went on exactly like berries and cream. I am impressed that the oil's retained its integrity this long! The middle stage was a very sweet, sugared strawberry (I suspect the lotus is doing that). There's a lovely green tea note that lurks in the background until the last stages of drydown. At that point, there's a hint of something that might or might not be sage.

I am so, so glad I slathered this on this morning. As a fruit and/or tea scent lover, this is right up my alley. I smell delicious. This is probably going to act as my 'backup' for the fruit-and-tea-heavy Mi-Go Brain Canister. If you loved that, you'll love this! :joy:

This may easily be the oldest BPAL I own, so I only use it on occasions when I need it's sweet, innocent comfort.

This luckily never turned into plastic on me, but the scent has remained uncomplicated over the years: it's a cuppa strawberry and vanilla tea, sipped while incense burns in the kitchen nearby. I find the comparison to strawberry oatmeal really works, because it's a rather dry smell, but not boring. It's gentle, and even tho I have to huff my wrist after the first hour or so, it's so lovely.

In the bottle it’s glorious sweet strawberry with some hint of green earthiness behind it. Unfortunately, my skin hates fruity notes so the strawberry goes very artificial on my skin and the sage takes over in all its brazen astringent herbal glory.