Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
PurringPulsar

Concentration

A useful aid in study and ritual. Dot this oil onto your palms and then rub them together vigorously. Then inhale the scent to intensify your mental focus and clear your mind of errant thoughts. This blend will sometimes provoke sudden insight into problems, and consequentially can be used for inspiration.

*does the first review post dance* :P

Concentration

In the imp: lemongrass and mint. Maybe some other herbs but mainly lemongrass and mint. My old physics teacher used to burn lemongrass oil in the class to help us concentrate...so it makes sense that this is the main scent.
Wet on skin: whoa, this is some powerful lemongrass-it smells just like the pure essential oil I have of it. I like this-it's a very cool, piercing, bright and clearing scent of lemongrass and mint. And like most mint blends, it feels cool on the skin-perfect on this hot summer day.
Dry on skin: this doesn't change much, but I think the mint gets stronger-it adds a chill to the back of my throat. Still lemongrass and mint though.
After a while: the mint fades and sweetens a bit, the lemongrass stays, I think there may be some lemon verbena too. I think there are also some other herbs in this.
Verdict: as a student revising for exams (maths and physics, meep!), this is the blend for me. This is pure lemongrass and mint, maybe with some other things like pine and eucalyptus, but predominantly piercing lemongrass and chilly mint. My physics teacher knew that lemongrass is good for concentration, so it makes sense to use it here. The mint also has the lovely effect of clearing my clogged up brain. This is something I will experiment with when revising for those nasty maths exams, hopefully it will help!

Edit: this worked wonders for my A-level physics exam, and also one of my 1st year degree papers. It was a great revision aid, keeping me alert and focused on my work, but I used it on a tissue as opposed to my palms (lasts longer that way). Little wafts of scent emanate from the tissue and with each waft comes a moment of mental clarity. It didn't help much on my maths paper (that was way too complicated, even for Concentration) but even so, I regularly sniff the bottle when I'm studying and it almost always works a treat! Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: this smells exactly like I'm opning a new package of black tea. Very strong scent.

On me, wet stage: The tea scent changes into a herbally, minty scent. It's very heavy and sure is making me awake.

On me, after 10 minutes: The mint stays, and htere's a citrussy scent coming up. It smells like lemon Strepsils (don't know if you know what they are, they are minty/ lemony sweets for sore throats with vitamine C added). As for it's purpose, lemon and mint always keeps me focussed.

The mint starts tingling on my wrist too.

On me: after 30 minutes: The scent has toned down a bit, the lemon has blended with the mint and it's a really fresh scent.

This one really works on hot days, when I have to work at night. :P

Edited by cindyrella

Breathing this in off my hands I can see why it's meant to help focus, there is an immediate clearing of the mind (and the sinuses, but that's another story). To me this smells of lemon verbena and peppermint. Initially it was incredibly strong, but it faded gradually and ages after I occassionally get wafts. Everything I'm using regularly whilst I'm working is beginning to pick up the smell of it, which is good. I really think this works, it even copes with my tendancy to do one thing, whilst thinking about another.

ETA. It is a very bad idea to get Concentration on sensative skin like your lips as I discovered this morning, when I applied lip balm after handling the bottle :P .

Edited by Ajila

Yes, a lemony fragrance, mint and some herbs.

I'm thinking lemonbalm? Is that the same as lemon verbena? I'm also thinking possibly rosemary. The citrus/mint iness is reminding me of The Star.

In any case, it's very lifting and clearing and has helped me lift out of moments of apathy today.

Mint, Lemongrass, maybe Sage. Eucalyptus.

not Rosemary? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's there.

I don't think I'd wear it, but I'd probably keep it in my bag to sniff at if I was drowsy or congested.

I could smell this well before I opened it -- tingling, electric mint and a lightning blast of lemon (verbena?). But stronger, more piercing than any others I have encountered. The lemony flashes remind me a little bit of a note in Lustration, making this a sort of mentholated lemon -- there might be a dash of eucalyptus. It reminds me of a favorite bath salt concoction that I buy sometimes, I think it's Aurocacia's Energize -- it's a lemon/mint combo, whatever it is.

I have been badly in need of focus lately as I've been rather scatterbrained at work and have too much to deal with. I am going to use this to help me to tackle the especially hard days and hone in on what I have to do without losing focus. Just sniffing this I feel as though I have laser beams shooting from my eyes burning holes in anything that I look at. Yes, I think this will work quite well. :P I may also use it in meditation to help my mind from wandering. Quite incredible and, yes, sinus-clearing as well! I cannot WAIT until I find a way to get a bottle of this...I can see using this regularly.

My step-father used to have this tea he would make for me when I was sick: in a sauce pan combine the juice of two lemons (preferably from the garden), a pinch of lemon rind, several sprigs of mint (also from the back yard,) a tea bag, and a giant dollop of honey. Boil, cool, and strain.

And that's what this smells like.

There's something a little herby going on here, too, though I'm not sure if it's thyme or something else. The lemon and mint though, are just so bright and zingy and awake! that I can't help sit a little straighter, focus a bit harder.

Oh, this is so very nice.

Origin - part of the TAL circular swap

Wet - a sharp, clarifying jolt of lemongrass. My mind immediately focuses.

Dry - as it dries, mint comes out to join the party, although the lemongrass is always front and center. There may be a bit of sage in here as well. This is amazing stuff. It clears my head and smells great too. Warning, don't get this close to your eyes, because this is strong stuff! Even though scent-wise this isn't something I would normally go for, I love this. I love how it smells and I love how it makes me feel. This is my favorite of the TAL's so far and is definitely going on the bottle list.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

I picked this up to use for the finals I have coming up because I have had an extreme lack of concentration. With one sniff this definately focuses me, there is a definite lemon scent with mint. As it dries down it has an herby, maybe rosemary or sage, scent mixed in. I'm glad I got this because it will be put to very good use for the next couple of months.

My Impression: Ohh the lemongrass, and mint jumps right out of the vial at you and demands your attention. I can definitely see why this is called

concentration ...It pretty much stays this way upon drydown as well. :P

This one is Strepsils with lemon and honey on my skin. Citric with a medicinal touch.

It's a good starting scent, the kind of "start doing what you have to!" but it doesn't have a good lasting power. :P

Concentration

When first applied: Mint, peppermint and after a while joined by something tingly and herby, I think lemon verbena.

I applied this when I was trying to write an essential formal letter and was struggling. Coffee was consumed, Concentration applied to one arm, Helping Hand the other and I started sniffing. The mint did a lovely job of clearing my head and I set to work. What I think is Lemon Verbena (well lemony and herby anyway) made me feel fizzy all over, looking good!

The alternating arms seemed to do the trick; Concentration woke me up and focussed my fuzzy brain, but Helping Hand seemed to ground me and persuaded me to remain seated long enough to write the letter.

Sometime later I sniff again. Now I can smell thyme, clear as a bell. Perhaps it’s lemon-thyme? That would make sense as I prefer it to verbena. The mint has receded way into the background and I’m left with a beautifully gentle, herby scent.

Writing this review was achievement enough. Concentration works and I’m hooked.

Edited because 6 hours later I swaer I can smell chamomile too. I'm more than hooked and so grateful I have a bottle of this.

Edited by allamanda

Bottle (Imp): Minty.

Just On: Minty, almost a spearmint.

An hour or two later: Minty with something else peeking out.

Around 6 hours: Sweet mint.

12 hours: Gone.

Overall: I definitely got mint from it, but don't know what else is there. I like it. I'll have to give it a shot to see if it ups my concentration, I was not paying that much attention to use, just fragrance.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get the lemon, or any other scent as much as the mint. I think this is a nice scent, and would certainly work if used for its purpose.

In the vial - VERY minty

On me - first of all, of all the blends I have tried, this feel the best going on. It is so cooling and soothing on the skin, it's fantastic. It comes out mostly mint on me, with lemongrass coming out next, and a few herbs in the background (no idea which ones though.)

It's a really cool and refreshing scent. Did it help me concentrate? A bit, but it wasn't a huge difference. Not bad.

Neat! I will actually use this blend for its intended purpose, since as a student I ALWAYS am on the lookout for a study-aid!

In bottle: Lovely peppermint and something else, probably lemongrass? This is a sharp scent that immediately forces my eyes to open a little wider and the wheels in my head to spin a little faster.

On me: Concentration is like a whip against the ass in that it forces me to sit up straight and do what I'm supposed to be doing, instead of daydreaming or reading catalogs or whathaveyou. I start to let my mind drift somewhere else when bam! that pepperlemonmintgrass floats up again and I'm reminded, "Oh yeah...I have to do this or that now." I really ought to buy a bottle or twenty of this stuff!

Thank you TAL Circle for bringing this to my attention!

I LOVE this. Almost medicinal smelling at first, this a shock to the senses that wakes you up and refocuses you. I wouldn't really wear this as a perfume but as a concentration aid it's spectacular and I have to go get my hands on a bottle somewhere.

First sniff: I’m Mister Icicle, I’m Mister Ten Below… Yeah, this one is coldmintyfresh, a blast o’mint that runs straight up my nose to my brain and yells WAKE UP!

Wearing: As instructed, just on my palms. It didn’t last very long, but the scent is definitely stimulating.

I applied as directed. Very much the lemon mint that everyone else is describing, possibly with some eucalyptus or menthol or something. It does remind me of cough drops.

I'm going to leave this box open and I'll let you know how much work on my thesis I get done tonight ;p I'm hoping I can finish this chapter.

Well, I may yet finish, but I am not sure it's helping me concentrate on my *work* any more. Maybe it is just being overpowered by the Puck I put on earlier.

I'm not the hugest fan of how this one smells - as others have said, it's a bit medicinal - but this works very well for its intended effect. I don't know if it's the little ritual of putting it on your hands, rubbing them together, and inhaling the scent deeply itself that refocuses my energy (in a good way) but whatever it is, Concentration definitely works just as it should.

I love this oil...it relaxed me and I love the scent..I wish I could get a larger bottle instead of just an imp...I can see me using this up within the week..

If you can get a bottle I highly recommend it. This will also be great during allergy season. :P

This has a very strong, bitter citrus scent with an underlying cold minty note.

I applied it to my palm and rubbed my hands together to get some focus on what I have to get done at work today. I felt very focused and motivated for a brief burst of time, but then I started to feel.... stressed? Rushed, perhaps? I'm not sure.

The oil fades quickly from my skin, and I've already reapplied it once, but it's gone again. Maybe this is why I can only focus for a short period of time and then I start to lose momentum.

This would be nice for a concentrated effort, but for the long haul it didn't stay with me.

This is a strong minty-menthol at first, drying down to a sharp herbal note that I can't place. Maybe sage? It really clears the sinuses and opens your eyes, though I do find the herbal note too strong for my tastes.

I wore this whilst working today and I was noticeably less tired (even with period pain!) so I think it works. I'll probably keep hold of my imp for up-coming exams. The herbal note might be strong but it certainly wakes me up!

Yow. This is strong stuff.

I've been having major focus problems lately. I have some reason to suspect that I have ADD, but for the moment, I can't take ritalin or anything of the sort because I also have high blood pressure. *headdesk* So, when the TAL site went live and I saw this, I nabbed a bottle.

The day it arrived, I was trying to do a gigantic website update, and I was full-fledged "Don't disturb me, I'm worki... oh, look, a buttterfly!" mode. I promptly hauled this bottle out of the box, cracked it open, and applied it to my hands per the directions on the website. My mind cleared surprisingly fast, and I went back to work and completed the rest of the update without getting sidetracked once. I've used it a couple of times since, with equally good results.

So, yeah. This works, bigtime. It's a strong herbal scent, although I can't really pick out any distinct notes, and anyway, I'm using it to wake up my brain, not as perfume. :P

Fresh From The Imp: Very eye-opening; I'm getting a strong whiff of mint.

Wet On My Flesh: On my wrist, it's still very strong, only now I've got a lot of lemon and what I'm almost tempted to call a Peppermint Patty, only it's not nearly as sweet.

Drying Down: Every time I get a whiff of my wrist, my eyes pop open. Lemons and mint, mints and lemon.

Hour To Integrate: It's mostly gone after an hour, leaving behind a hint of pine.

End Of Day/Final Report: Definitely a keeper.

Sweet Mother of Criminy. :P Concentration is exactly what an undisciplined, easily-distracted, lazy person like me needs. But I've found, after having used it several times, that I have to be really careful about what I turn my focus to after I use it. :D There have been times at work when I've really needed to focus and get some work done, so I applied some Concentration to my palms and breathed it in deeply as directed. Then I'd think I'd just check the forum (or my email, or whatever) again real quick before getting down to business. Then, four hours later, I'd find that I had been totally absorbed in the forum and had written numerous lengthy posts describing in detail my thoughts on various topics . . . and I hadn't even touched my work. Concentration focuses my mind all right -- on whatever my mind happens to be occupied with! Today, however, I managed to use it in an extremely productive way. I applied some to my palms before starting the mundane yet mammoth task of putting away all my clothes and organizing my closet. Just as always, I worked so intently and without interruption that I looked at the clock an hour later and it was as if no time had passed at all. I hate this particular chore probably more than any other, and yet I did it SO efficiently -- it was just as if everything fell into place and as soon a as I finished one thing I moved right on to the other. In fact, when I finished with my clothes I moved on to the other clutter in my room, and I kept going until I pretty much collapsed from exhaustion a few minutes ago. Even now, though, my mind still feels uncannily focused. It is as though a sense of calm determination has decended over my brain like a lead blanket.REMARKABLE. I really need to practice working with this in productive ways while at work, too. I think that this oil could be an incredible tool for me. I struggle with distraction and procrastination SO MUCH . . . and if this oil is the tool that finally enables me to get control over it, then I will be forever grateful!Oh, and it smells like sweet mint and lemongrass. It goes right up the nose and into the brain, that's for sure.