Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dulci

The Best BPAL scents for young girls through teenagers

The girl I'm thinking about is 13, (Sagittarius) and just on the brink of menarch. She's in that coltish, gangly arms & legs don't fit stage. She is shy but moody, sweet but also quick tempered and could really use some confidence in herself. I also want to protect her from all the bad things out there, because the girl is my daughter. :P Are any of these oils appropriate for a young teen?

my sister's almost 16... she's got a few - carnal, snake oil, old glasgow, the imp of juliet i discovered she 'borrowed', and endymion. (snake oil on her is a really innocent vanilla, not at all seductive).. and she's getting a small bottle of harlot (which again, smells pretty innocent on her).

there's definitely ones that are appropriate for her age - look in illyria and and venerable cities and mad tea party, for starters (juliet, ophelia, alice, maybe some of the others).

I think Fae, Katharina, Pisces, Venus, and Dana O'Shee are all lovely, soft, innocent fragrances. And since the teen in question is your daughter and you want to protect her, you may want to consider Water of Notre Dame and Van Van - two voodoo blends that smell very light and soft and are calming and intensify good energies.

My sister's 22 & a coltish child like saggie. & Ones I'd suggest & that I know she's tried & 'borrows' off me are: Belladonna & Endymion. I'd also add Phantom Queen, Viola to that list & from my sister's collection of girly smells Old New orleans, Black rose, Feu Follet (her all time fave) & maybe some of the sweetie foodie ones like Old Morocco & Black Phoenix as food always seems to appeal to sagittarians!

Your daughter sounds like my Emma! Em's nickname is "the mouse" because she's as quiet as one.. but my God has she got a little volcano under all that sweetness! Sometimes you forget she's a fire sign as she's so childlike & seemingly begnin- & then you piss her off...... :P

Edited by Gothabillywench

Zephyr is my favorite.

It is light and fresh floral with a hint of citrus and musk. I think it would be very appropriate for a teen.

thank you all so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. :P Many of your recommendations were already on my list-of-must-have-next (Snake Oil, Endymion, Desdemona) so we can try them together :D ; I've got Old Morrocco on the way; Zephyr sounds like something I'd like!

and twistygirl, the voodoo blends idea is brilliant! I had looked at those earlier, but they didn't stick in my head because there were no notes listed. I remember Van Van got lots of good reviews though...

Again, thanks so much for helping me narrow down the choices. I'm off to read the reviews!

I have a niece in high school that lives far away, so I don't see her much.

I wanted to get her a BPAL "sampler" (6 imps and then a nice box to put them in).

Here's what I am thinking so far:

Bon Vivant (yummy strawberry)

Alice

Dana O'Shee

So sort of sweet, fruity things... I don't think I should get Jailbait because her dad would never let me live that one down! :P So what else is good with an "appropriate" name?

Sudha Segara, I think, would be a lovely treat for her. It's not as sweet as Alice or Dana O'Shee, but it's lovely in and of itself. Or possibly Pele -- it's a sweet floral [except on me, where it goes all spicy].

ETA: And Fae. Fae is looooovely fruity/musky/sweet. :P

Edited by pekeana

What about Glitter? It's sweet and cherry-like (sort of like Cherry lifesavers) and the name is very appropriate for a young girl.

i automatically thought of Jailbait, but i don't suppose daddy would approve of that name, though.. hehe.. tintagel instead, perhaps.

Ooh, Pele could be very nice! It's one I wouldn't have thought of before. Alice is good and of course one of my favorites, but it gets very intense on me in a non-girly (so, womanly) way. I like everyone else's suggestions too.

I'd say March Hare might be a good choice, it's not too grown up smelling although I, personally, wear it quite often. It's very pretty and I could see a little girl wearing it. :D

I'd also say Bon Vivant would probably be a good choice even though I hate it (it smells too much like strawberry lipgloss to me and brings back some bad memories). :D

Alice would also be a good choice, even though (once again) I don't like it. :P

Katharina. It's wonderfully fruity, and light, and beautiful, and many forumites have expressed that it's the perfect teenaged girl scent. Of course, I still wear it anyhow :P.

So great to hear that you're doing this. What a lucky niece you have!

I almost forgot The Hesperides. A lot of younger girls I know salivate and foam at the mouth for it, for some reason.

My daughter likes Bon Vivant, Aisen-Myoo, Block Buster, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, Sugar Skull (this would have to be a decant though), Three Witches & The Empress.

Hope it helps!

:P

I agree with those who have suggested Bon Vivant (I gave an imp of this to my 11 year old sister), The Hesperides, Jester, Glitter, Fae, Katharina, and the March Hare. Anything sweet and fruity usually seems to sit well with younger girls.

I think scents like Dana O'Shee, The Unicorn, Sudha Segara, Pele and Alice would be good choices if you discover she doesn't particularly care for fruity scents (I know that I've never been a particular fan, even at that age).

Now to show I can also add suggestions:

You might also want to consider Bliss, Jack, Bewitched, Rosalind, Tamora, Imp, The Dormouse (very fruity to me), and Tarot: the Star.

If you were willing to splurge on a 5ml I would suggest picking up something like Sugar Cookie or Gingerbread Poppet.

oh - dragon's milk. it's sweet, almost like strawberry soda, and a good introduction to the more resiny scents in that while it's clearly dragon's blood, it doesn't hit you over the head with it.