Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twistygirl

The Moon

Not surprisingly, this reminds me a lot of the Celestial's Luna. It's got the same jasmine scent, but not so much a sweet jasmine as a mysterious jasmine with an undercurrence of darkness. And it evokes a lot of the same feelings for me - intuition, midnight, dreams. It's an emotional scent. There's something mysterious about it. Very feminine, as is the Moon.

With Pisces as its ruling sign, the Moon is all about visions and illusions, madness, genius and poetry. This is a card that has to do with sleep, and so with both dreams and nightmares. It is a scary card in that it warns that there might be hidden enemies, tricks and falsehoods. But it should also be remembered that this is a card of great creativity, of powerful magic, primal feelings and intuition. The Querent who gets this card should be warned that they may be going through a time of emotional and mental trial; if they have any past mental problems, they must be vigilant in taking their medication. They should avoid drugs or alcohol, as abuse of either will cause them irreparable damage. This time however, can also result in great creativity, psychic powers, visions and insight. They can and should trust their intuition.

Beth .. is this scent made for you? Cos I can almost picture you when I smell it.

In the bottle: Jasmine .. I can finally tell the difference between that and honeysuckle. Night blooming jasmine, I would guess. This scent makes me think of a moonlit night, stepping out onto a balcony and raising my hands to the moon in all Her glory, with the scents of the night wafting around me.

Wet: The jasmine likes me. It comes out strong on me, and I really like that, because jasmine is one of my absolute favorite scents. Is there moonflower in this too? I'm trying to remember what they smell like .. they were in full bloom the night of my wedding in the backyard .. this has the same white-ness of them.

Wearing: I -love- this scent. I've always been drawn to the moon, since I was little, so it shouldn't surprise me that I adore this oil blend. It's sweet, and bright, and speaks to me of the pull the moon has over me. Mysterious and magickal ... it's wafting very nicely, and I only put a small amount on to try it. I can see getting a bigger bottle of this one. Definitely.

On first application, this smells like licorice. Not the cheap stuff, but the expensive kind you find at specialty shops. Almost immediately it melds into a honeysuckle/ magnolia scent. (maybe that's the jasmine. i'm still in the fledgling stage of my olfactory expertise)

It reminds me of the courtyard scene in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Just that wandering in the moonlight through the hedge maze...

I love this. I mean looooove it.

Edited by sheelanagig

this is sooo beautiful! i cant believe not many people have tried it yet.

the jasmine is grounded in an incense sort of way... if that makes any sense

i dont really know a lot of the notes... but it smells so good i want to eat it

this is not just a floral! i'm at a loss for words

ok i need 10ml of this one too....

The Moon feels very, very feminine to me. It's subtle, but has staying power. The jasmine really comes out, and there's a bit of lavendar, but I don't know what else.

It's a very comforting scent. Good for quiet times.

All I can say, is that this is absolutely gorgeous, I am so glad I ordered the bottle unsniffed, I will wear this often. I have no idea what it smells like, just that its deliscious!!! :D :P

Bottle ~ Sweet and peppery. It reminds me of peppermint and ginger all at the same time.

Wet ~ It's still peppery, but I have no idea of what else I'm smelling when my wrist is up close. When I pull my arm away from my face, I start thinking "mint," but it's also developing into something else. Something that I suspect I'm not fond of. fooey.

Drying ~ Now I'm getting a weird, sweet and somewhat nauseating resin scent. I think it developed out of the one that I can't place. People who liked Lush's Flowertub bubble bar or Gavarnie Soap may like this one. Considering that I really detested both Gavarnie and Flowertub, though, I can't give this a glowing recommendation. oofah.

Drydown ~ Well, it's not gardenia, because gardenia attacks fruit scents rather than tries to copulate with it. It's not any rose that I can place. I don't think it's violets or lotus. Hrm. If it smelled worse I'd say it was daisies, because sometimes they get a manure scent going. What is this on me and what did I do to offend it?

Dry ~ I would have been happier with the peppermint and ginger. Really.

Fade ~ It's taunting me by considering morphing into old lady perfume, but I don't have my hopes up.

Final thoughts ~ To quote Star Wars: "What a fascinating new smell you've discovered, Princess" and "Help me, Obi-Wan!" Tomorrow's reviews will involve two imps that I liked at one point, but never got around to reviewing. I figure that I deserve the reward after putting up with an oil that turns into mulch farts on me.

Edited by byrdie

Although The Moon is not my most favorite of the Tarot oils, I have found it very effective for dreamwork.

I tend to use BPAL blends more for perfume, as opposed to any kind of ceremonial or ritual work. However, The Moon is a beautiful sleepytime blend with incredible staying power. I've used the Moon in my hair at night & wake smelling just like expensive chocolate. Now I know that no one has mentioned smelling chocolate in The Moon but hey, I'm a bit strange.

Tarot: The Moon

Note: This seems to be very different for everyone. Three people mentioned jasmine, but other than that, all the reviews have been different, and mine's not like anyone else's.

This was a gift from HappyLoveJoy. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: Something that evokes the subconsious, illusion, dreams, and intuition.

In the vial: definitely an outdoorsy scent - lots of clear, fresh air, distant pines, and I think gardenia.

On me:

Yes, gardenia (this part is exactly like Sacred Whore of Babylon, otherwise, I'd have no idea), and lavender, and some kind of mysterious scent. I’m not sure what it is, but it’s making it warmer, a little spicier. Also, I think there are some other flowers in there, too, and maybe some greenery. Though, I think my initial “pine” scent might have actually been the lavender. Also, although I think this is the gardenia, there may also be some coconut in this. It has the same sort of “feel” as Midnight, but it’s completely different in smell. It smells more like Sacred Whore...with spices, lavender, and something else.

It disappears fairly quickly, and doesn't morph much.

Overall: I’ll probably get a bottle eventually. It’s nice, but my main purpose would be for the Tarot thing. I’m hoping to gradually accrue all of them. The Moon is near the end though. If it weren’t a Tarot oil, I’d be happy with the imp and probably not buy anymore. I think I'm not much of a fan of gardenia (it tends to smell just a little like the fake watermelon flavor used in candy, etc. on me - not exactly like it, but enough to bring up bad scent memories).

wet it was musky i almost thought civet

as it dries it becomes a complex jasmine, but not sharo liek alot of jasmines tend to go on me and there is a spiciness lurking in teh background. the moon is beautiful if not one that i would reach for often

Received as a gift from Phaedrine!

The fifth Tarot oil that I have tried...I had no idea what it would smell like as the forums were down and I didn't remember what the reviews said, so I approached this with no (consciously) preconceived notions. :P

At first I thought it was a sort of sweetened, slightly fruity white floral...something white like lilies, or maybe a bit of honeysuckle. But it wasn't a cloyingly strong floral, it's much...rounder, I would have to say. Then I realized that it was probably jasmine that came across as that familiar white floral. I see from other reviews now that I'm not the only one who gets some sort of honeysuckle or other white floral out of it before the jasmine becomes apparent.

As it dries it occurs to me that it smells a LOT like Crossroads. The main difference it that I don't get the peculiar sort of headache that I got from that. I attributed it to jasmine, but The Moon hasn't given me a headache so far and I'm pretty sure this is jasmine as well. Maybe it's a different kind, as suggested above...night-blooming jasmine maybe? Or maybe it's gardenia? I don't think that I smell gardenia, but I don't spend a lot of time with florals so I could be mistaken. But since I loved Crossroads and couldn't wear it due to the headaches, this should be an excellent substitute!

The Moon

In the bottle: Sharp and civet-y. It is immediately unpleasant to my nose. :P

On me: A heavy animal smell, which is totally different than I would have imagined an oil called the Moon smelling like. Very musky or civety – I’m going to wash my arm off now. Blech! I wish I had gotten the jasmine, but nope. :D

oooh noo, I get Jasmine like crazy! Jasmine and I guess Gardenia (which always smells like brown sugar to me for some off reason).

I can't wear my jasmine this strong, it leaves me smelling like a bowl of rice and sugar. But for people who like Jasmine, then you'd love this!

Sweet, light and gentle. Is there lotus in this? If my memory serves me right, this smells quite a bit like the celestial luna. As it dries the sweetness becomes stronger. It's a very lovely floral, but definitely not for me.

Sadly, The Moon is thick, heavy floral with a peppery undercurrent that makes me wince and weep for mercy. Definitely some jasmine and gardenia, and something bitter and almost woody -- juniper, maybe? I'm not sure, but I'm not liking it at all.

First Impressions: Jasmine? No.

Second Impression: This is the creamiest, spiciest, sweetest, freshest magnolia that I've ever had the pleasure of having near my sense of smell.

Final Analysis: Sinfully good.

THE MOON: Tarot Oil

In Bottle: Floral and sensual.

On Skin: I’m thinking the flower is either lily, honeysuckle or jasmine. Heavy but pretty. Now I think I smell lilac or lavender as well. This is a dark deep floral not bright at all. That’s why I think it feels seductive. There must be a musk or incense note in there giving it it’s depth.

In the bottle: This is an odd combination of herbs, fruits and something that reminds me of root beer in the bottle. I swapped one of my custom dreamcatchers for a partial 10ml of this because The Moon has always been one of the Tarot cards that interests me the most. There is an herb in this blend that is recognizable to me as something living in my kitchen but still unidentifiable. And then there's that weird fruit smell that reminds me of fig as well as an odd root beer smell that might be sassafras.

Wet: Herbs and while the root beer smell is less pronounced, it's still there. As well as that weird, almost fig note. Well, this is not what I'd been hoping for at all. It's green and yet fig fruity at the same time.

Dry down: Fig and...herbs. I'm not a fan of fig as I've stated before so this is a fairly depressing turn of events. No jasmine that I read about in the reviews, though. I want the jasmine. *sigh*

Dry: Maybe it's magnolia rather than fig although this is not the magnolia smell that I've liked in other blends. It has an odd spice/fruit scent to it that just really does not do much for me, which is sad as I was hoping for a pretty, toned down jasmine scent with it.

Soft, dry Jasmine and light sandalwood and incense are what I get from this. I think the lunar oil blends have made me associate the moon with more aquatic fresh scents but this is really pretty if drier than I anticipated. Light, mysterious and ethereal while still being feminine. It's also long lasting and stronger than I anticipated.

Imp: Argh, my nemesis, Jasmine!

Wet: Jasmine and...vanilla?

Drydown: Still jasmine and vanilla, but now another floral has come through, and there's a musk in here too, I believe. Something in here reminds me of birch beer or sassafrass, but I can't place it.

Overall: If you like or can tolerate jasmine, this is a nice - if still a little overwhelming - creamy version of it. I won't be wearing this often, but I'll see what I can see the next time I do tarot work.

Oro

Bottle (Imp): I'm having trouble deciding how to describe this scent. There's a hint of something ick lurking there, and some freshness, and maybe a bit of herbs.

Just On: Okay, I get some herbs, and that ick thing is probably a scent that doesn't work on me, as it's much stronger now. Probably my mind telling me that it won't work, as opposed to actually being an ick thing. Maybe there is evergreen or pine in here doing this. I know those are ones I don't particularly care for.

An hour or two later: The ick part mellows out and fades to the background, and mixes with the rest to make a very pleasant scent. It's got a tiny bit of sweetness, not much. It smells a little stale, but I think that's my skin, not the oil.

Around 6 hours: It's starting to fade, and though I can still smell the staleness on me, it's pretty pleasant. It's like sitting out under a waning moon.

12 hours: It's almost gone now, and pretty much smells the same was it has through the last several hours.

Overall: The stale thing is hard to describe. It's almost like a nostalgia thing for the full moon, once it's waning. It's not that it's really stale, it's just that the memroy of it is strong, and what's left is this wistful remembrance of how vivid and bright it was, and the remembrance is bittersweet. Once past that first ick thing that goes away pretty fast, it's a lovely scent. I could see buying a bigger bottle of this.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get jasmine out of it, but someone mentioned pine, and I think I could find that. I do like it though, and as it starts to fade, it's such a wistful scent, and I feel this huge rush of nostalgia, but not for anything in particular.

Wet, The Moon is very strong, oddly *fruity* jasmine...plums and jasmine, perhaps? :P I also detect a bubbly, rootbeer-like note.

The Moon strikes me as a gray-purple-colored scent. "Nostalgia" has been a word used to describe this oil, and I definately agree; like...a wistful shadowy memory of a moonlit night full of shadows. If this were a song, it would be a wistful, sweet song from a 50s movie--faded, grey, and oddly familiar.

I fell in love with this when I sniffed it in the bottle when it first arrived.

Wet - jasmine, maybe vanilla, maybe lavendar. This smells like a big round full moon to me, lush and white.

Dry - This is quite complex. There's jasmine, a sweetness I associate with vanilla, and perhaps another light floral. It smells creamy; the most lucious creamy jasmine imaginable. Underneath it all is the tiniest trace something grounding. I do seem to love jasmine blends, and this is no exception, it is going on my big bottle list right now.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

Jasmine with tuberose or even gardenia.

It's very obscure and misterious, quite intense.

A perfume for the night.

I need a big bottle! :P