Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jello

The Perfect Lavender

I'm hoping for reccomendations (BPAL or others) on a very true lavender scent. It's hard to find one where it isn't mixed with a ton of other florals (I'm not a fan of floral perfumes) or something sticky-sweet and artificial smelling. I'm looking for that fresh, herbal-woodsy smell of fresh or dried lavender. thanks :P

I've been searching for a perfect lavender scent for ages and for me Nanshe is the one. :P Nanshe somehow manages to actually smell like a lavender plant, it has the slightly spicy, herbaceous quality of the plant that usually doesn't appear in lavender scents. Quietude isn't bad, but it's somehow too soft for me. Some people complained about Nanshe being too lemony which I never noticed in my imps, but did notice in my bottle, but the lemony aspect fades pretty quickly and seems to be changing with age as well. My only warning is there is something in it which sometimes irritates my skin a bit, but I've resolved that problem by streaking it through my hair instead. If you're in the U.S., I'd be glad to decant you an impsworth and send it to you.

ETA: If you're looking for a sharper, straight-up lavender, you should try Baku. It was a bit too sharp for me, but it's definitely lavender.

As a big lavender fan myself it took me some time to find a lavendery lavender blend. I wasn't happy with the Lavender in the Somnium blends, they all turned sour somehow or the Jasmine came out to much. (yet, they are perfect to fall asleep to, but that's not the question here :D )

But recently something has changed :P Quietude is the perfect Lavender scent for me. It's a bit freshed up with some lime/lemony note. It's that Lavender which you pick a flower from while walking by and rubbing it between your fingers.

Psyche is also a nice lavender blend but goes more like a man's cologne kind of Lavender.

Well so far my personal opinion on lavender

I have a couple motives here soooo...

First of all, I get stressed out very easily, and lavender soothes me and calms me down. I've found that L'Occitane and Savon de-luxe make lavender scents that are very similar and very good at soothing me. I definitely want an oil that I can use when I need extra help feeling calm, safe, in control and secure.

Second, I tend to get rampaging headaches from most perfumes. Lavender is one of the few notes that doesn't give me headaches. Citrus notes don't stick around well, and they're usually safe as well. Herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme also tend to be pretty safe. Vanilla is typically the cause of rampant headaches, and it doesn't smell good with my skin. Either it turns to candy or it turns to flowers, but it never meshes with my own smell. Rose is a scent I love, but very often it doesn't love me back. It'll turn to powder, give me a headache, or go sickly sweet. Or all three at once. Commercial fragrances that work on me are invariably discontinued - Garden Botanika "Mood" and Bath and Body Works Seaspray are pretty much the only two that have ever really worked, and both got discontinued in a flash. Mood was a citrusy fruity blend that didn't go too sweet on me. Seaspray was pretty much a straight up dose of herbs. Elizabeth Arden and L'Occitane's Green Tea scents are relatively safe, tho the Arden one can get me in quantity. L'Occitane's Verbena is also relatively safe. Really tho, the only one of these that soothes me is Seaspray.

Third, my partner has similar reactions to fragrances. Instead of headaches, he sneezes. Massively. Lavender is one of the few notes that I know is safe for him (and it happens to hit some very nice buttons for him too *eg*). Vanilla works as well, but is out unless I find one that doesn't hate me :P.

Since the lab has so many lavender blends, I'm looking for a way to narrow things down. I don't mind if the scent is more than just lavender, as long as it doesn't hit an allergy button for me or my partner. I'm also perfectly willing to risk sneezes or headaches in the hunt, since there are remedies for both of those available. So, are there any lavender fiends out there who can help me narrow it down past "order imps of all the lavender blends and try 'em"?

Kalli

Paris was pretty close to straight up lavender from what I can remember.

Somnus is also very lavendery, but it knocks me out cold. Something you may want to take into consideration. :D

ETA: Ace of SWORDS I remembered was also very lavender-based. You'd probably have to plead with someone to get an imp though. :P

edit because i was thinking of the wrong tarot oil

Edited by Diana

Nanshe and Gaueko are my favorite blends where lavender is featured prominently.

(And I currently have high hopes for Old Scratch!

And note to self re: above post -must try Paris! Somehow I've missed that one.

ETA: Now I see why - the lotus in Paris scared me off - it's one of the worst notes ever on me.)

I have to say that I'm pretty picky about the scent of lavender being "realistic" - and it always is in any of the Bpal blends I've tried - the lavender(s) they use is a winner! It's one of my favorite lab notes and I've tried nearly every blend containing it.

(My favorite non-Bpal lavender is Serge Lutens' Encens et Lavande)

Edited by wolfie13

I'd go for Villain.

Villain is mainly lavender with some citrus. But the lavender isn't the lavender in the somnium blends--instead, it's a silky soft "purple-grey" lavender, like washed silk :P absolutely beautiful...

Beware of Paris if you don't like lotus. It's not just lavender.

Today I'm wearing Psyche, and though it does have other florals, it's a true "herbal" lavender scent. (In fact, I find all of Beth's lavender to be quite herbal and "true," rather than perfumey.) Twilight's another lavender-heavy floral blend. Oneroi was quite jasminey, but Somnus might work for you?

Good luck! :P

Edited by Sheila

That does narrow it down a lot :P. I'll have to order some imps and see if any of these work to calm me down when stressed. I'm not real worried about getting knocked out by lavender... I use it in my lotion and soap already to keep me calmer. Shampoo is Aveda's sap moss, which doesn't give me trouble either. Otherwise it's unscented in a vain attempt to dodge allergies.

I'm not sure if lotus or jasmine are guilty parties in allergy attacks previously. I'm ok with taking the risk of a headache tho since ibuprofen will fix *g*. And if they are guilty parties, I will know and can remember for the future.

Kalli

Baku, soothing lavender lovliness. It's the most lavender BPAL I've tried to date. I love lavender too :P

I second Quietude. It's mostly lavender on me and is so gorgeously understated.

I also want to add Sophia. I love this blend, it's just radiant. The Lab's description: The Gnostic goddess of Wisdom. A solemn, deeply profound draught of lavender, soft musks, star jasmine, black rose, delphinium, and gentle spice. I think it really showcases the power of lavender to bring a dusky scrim down in front of notes that might otherwise be overpowering on their own.

I actually wasn't much of a fan of the lavender in the somnium blends...really disliked it quite a bit and chalked it up to obviously "not liking lavender."

However, some of my favorite scents are lavender based here on bpal...

Guaeko (which i may be spelling wrong) is a wonderful spicy, woody, lavender. Probably too masculine for most, but....

Villain - again, it has a citrus note, so not pure lavender but is glorious just the same.

Old Scratch - OMG on this one...it is a lavender blend but the tonka and other notes round it out soo nicely.

There is also the safari elixer out now...which I find to be very straigh lavender smelling....haven't worn enough to review however!

I trekked up to the Black Broom today (they're out of pretty much everything *sigh*) and tried Baku and Villain.

Villain hates me. The citrus musk is sadly a headache inducer. It also very quickly goes to *only* the citrus musk, with a ton of throw. *sigh* There may have been other components involved in the guilt, but all in all it was just not a good scene. This is really sad, since I loved the scent wet.

Baku was much nicer. It was a strong, sharp lavender at first, then faded to a soft, soothing lavender. If they'd had a bottle, it would have come home with me, no questions.

Kalli

I'll toss in a recommendation for Safari.

It was almost pure Lavender in the bottle and wet to me, and the dry down reminded me very much of my MeadowSweet soap. :P

hrmmm....to me, Baku had a VERY strong anise note. I love it in Kabuki, but no so much in a lavender blend.

I'm a huge fan of both Paris and Nanshe, though Nanshe is the most pure lavender I've found. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I received Arcana as a frimp and, though I was surprised by the mix of lavender and frankincense, really liked it. Myself, I like Somnus, but I use it to go to sleep and can't picture wearing it just to be lavender-y--it would be waaaay too hardcore lavender for that, I think. I also really like Oneiroi and Temple of Dreams.

Also, the first time I tried Somnus it seemed SO strong, just a drop was almost medicinal and gave me a headache, and I didn't like it. Since then I have gotten used to it and now I'm a total addict. I don't know if it aged or it's just me but now I slather it on like there's no tomorrow. So Somnium scents might be more likeable for some folks as time passes.

I also agree that Old Scratch is very nice though to me it is much more of a mix of which lavender is just one element.

Edited by Undine

Just wanted to say that Aurecacia makes a very nice lavender essential oil which I've been burning for a while. I haven't tried it on skin, so I'm not sure if it would have the same effect, but it's a near-perfect lavender scent for your room. :P

I'll toss in a recommendation for Safari.

It was almost pure Lavender in the bottle and wet to me, and the dry down reminded me very much of my MeadowSweet soap. :P

OMG.

Reminiscent of Meadowsweet???

*faints*

Now I *definitely* have to try Safari!

I lovelovelove Old Scratch but I don't get any lavender from it at all, sadly.

I like Temple of Dreams. I didn't like Psyche. At first, it smelled great, then it began to smell like someone had pulled up a potted lavender plant, and dumped it, dirt and all, in the room. I think the frankincense was the culprit. But Temple of Dreams has a rounded lavender aroma that I find soothing. Not for wearing--I run the imp wand lightly over my pillowcase at bedtime. And I've ordered a bottle!

This thread has lots of great suggestions. I want to try some of the other lavender scents!

Well, I guess the title says it all. I'm trying to make a gift for a lady who has been very generous to me, and I know she likes lavendar scented creams.

What I'm looking for is a gentle lavender, without many other overpowering notes. Something nice and soothing and "pure." And if, by chance, you've scented creams with a particular lavendar blend I'd love to know how it turned out.

I'd love to hear what people think of the various lavender blends (i haven't tried many). I'm looking more for GCs since I need to do this fairly quickly, and probably won't have enough time to hunt down rare LEs.

Thanks!

I'd really recommend Sleepy Moon if you can get ahold of it... it's the most gorgeous lavender blend that I've ever tried.

But, for GC, you might want to look at Temple of Dreams (lavender and lemon-ish), Baku (lavender and eucalyptus), Somnus (kinda medicinal lavender) or Cheshire Cat (which was mostly lavender and chamomile on me, with some sweet fruitiness, I would call it a gentle lavender).