Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Mnemosyne

What scent can I mix with patchouli...

Yes, I realize my thread title sounds a little crazy, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it, and my problem is a bit odd.

I have a shampoo that I really enjoy, however, it happens to come scented with patchouli. The problem is, I don't like patchouli at all, and my husband hates it like you can't imagine. The lab included a free imp of Greed with my last order, and I figured that even though it had patchouli, I should give it at least one test. My husband told me that I had better find a way to wash it off before I got in bed with him, or he was going to cut my arms off. (It was a joke, so none of you think that my husband is some sort of abusive monster that keeps me chained to the radiator.)

So, back to the problem at hand...patchouli smells like dirty hippies to me, and the last thing I want to smell like after washing is a dirty hippie. Is there any BPAL scent that you think might mix well with the patchouli scent in my shampoo that would make it smell less like patchouli?

I've worn rose with patchouli for years and gotten many compliments. Perhaps a rosewater rinse? Or, maybe something with vanilla.

I've worn rose with patchouli for years and gotten many compliments. Perhaps a rosewater rinse?  Or, maybe something with vanilla.

Hm. Rose certainly isn't something that I ever would have thought of mixing with patchouli, but now that you mention it, I can imagine that it might be just what I'm looking for. And I've got an imp of Persephone that doesn't work on my skin, so I think I'll probably experiment with adding a drop of that to a small amount of the shampoo and see what that does.

Thanks for the idea.

There's no way to get the shampoo without the patchouli? A lot of smaller shops will offer an unscented version if you ask....

You could try doing a vinegar rinse with EOs. I find adding 5-7 drops of Peppermint EO and 7-10 drops of Rosemary EO to my vinegar (I eye ball it, but it's probably about 2-3 tablespoons (long hair) to 1.5-2 cups (more?) of water) and running it over my head and down my hair, then sort of massaging it a bit before rinsing lightly really overpowers everything else - especially the vinegar. Not to metion the Peppermint adds a lovely cool tingle and can wake a gal up. :P

After my hair is dry though, I can't smell a thing....well, ok, sometimes I catch whiffs of my conditioner, but after your hair is dry maybe you could run some impie swipes through it.

There's no way to get the shampoo without the patchouli? A lot of smaller shops will offer an unscented version if you ask....

I would, but it's not a "store brand" shampoo (I don't think that's the word I'm looking for, but it will have to do.) It's from this company, which I can't recommend enough:

Purology

They're just sold in salons, and not in the places where they're made.

The one in particular that I use is the Hydrate Shampoo. The rest of them don't smell like patchouli.

I'll second the rose suggestion, as well as vanilla... and some lavender too. :P

I find it unfortunate that so many people associate patchouli with dirty hippies, it's really is a beautiful scent once you get over that association.

Sign in to follow this