Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clephan

Kumiho

Nine-tailed fox demon of Korean lore who transforms into the visage of an irresistible beauty in order to seduce men and lead them to their doom. A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger.

Origin - imp received in a swap.

Wet - tea and ginger.

Dry - it doesn't change at all, it stays true to tea and ginger. It's a nice, sharp ginger, but it's still a rather ordinary scent. I was a big fan of B&BW White Tea and Ginger hand soap, and this smells very similar to that, although the ginger smells fresher.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

There's the sharp note from Sudha Segara: the ginger, evidently. Bright and a tad lemony. Clear, pure, and strong. Bracing, at first. Settles to seeming floral occasionally. Very springy, though. Softens to a strong Sudha Segara in the end.

In the bottle, Kumiho is everything I love: clean, tart, energizing, light, spicy, and citrusy.

I wish the promise that exists in the bottle delivered on my skin. Sadly, Kumiho lasts all of 5 minutes on me. I am definitely conservative when it comes to applying BPAL (I am only a "slatherer" with a few scents :P ), however, I could bathe in Kumiho and it would still fade instantly into oblivion on me. :D

Bottle (Imp): Sweetness interlaced with a hint of crispness.

Just On: It gets crispier, and the sweetness fades a little bit upon application.

An hour or two later: This has faded a LOT already, so it may not last too long on me. That being said, I don't get quite as much crispness or sweetness, but there is something else sticking out a little bit, something I can't quite figure out.

Around 6 hours: It's kind of a crisp water, if that makes any sense, and very faded.

12 hours: It finally faded away into nothing.

Overall: This was one of the more interesting scents I've tried, and I like it well enough.

After reading other reviews: AHA White tea. So *that* is what it smells like on me. I think it's the ginger that peeks out just a little after a while. I really didn't get the lemon that others did.

I had this imp a long time and never even sniffed it!

since we hit 32 degree Celcius today I was going through my imps ( I cannot wear Envy all week right? :P ) And remembered reading some were that Kumiho smelled fresh and summery, so I tried it on today and it was great. I kept soo fresh all day and even the boy complimented me saying I smelled "clean" with is a big deal coming from him as he dislikes most BPAL.

It smells like a Ice tea with lemon or one of those herbal drinks. it has lasting power, no throw.

I will keep using it untill the imp is finished(and hopefully there comes an end to the hot weather before :D )

I don't see a 5ml as it's not my kind of scents but will hunt down another imp somewhere :D

Impressions: Oh hm, I have white tea and ginger BBW. I wonder!

Wet: Tea, ginger. Neither of them are offending me.

Drydown: Fades a bit too fast.

Verdict: Excellent compliament to aforemeantioned hand soap, I think. May get the Envy for hot days when I'm not in a Neo-Tokyo mood though.

In the bottle:

Crisp, clean, very "white" scent

On me:

Exactly what it says it is - white tea and ginger. It's fresh, light, clean, and still crisp. The ginger doesn't come out much on me, but it does make a nice companion to that white tea.

Final note:

This is very fresh, and though I don't think I will need a bottle of this, I will be keeping my imp. This strikes me as the kind of scent I'd want to wear on a hot summer night :P

Kumiho is currently my favorite scent. It smells so delicious and light -- so lovely for this time of year (mid-summer). I really have to tell myself to wear other scents, because even though I love all my little BPALs I love Kumiho the most. It's a perfect blend of ginger & white tea (I am a ginger FIEND).

The funny thing is the first time I sniffed it I thought "nice, but I don't love it," and I put it aside for over a month before trying it again, and WOW.

In sum: Kumiho is just perfect for me. We are going to ride off into the sunset now and live happily ever after. :P

In the imp: Tea with ginger. Nice and light.

Wet: The ginger really pops out on my skin. Faint hint of lemon, too.

Dry: The tea has become the main note. It's a crisp scent, but very light. It didn't last long, but while it did, I loved it!

I'm keeping this one. It's nice and light, with a bright, clean feeling. A perfect pick-me-up for bad days.

Initial Impression: Amazing! It has the most gorgeous smell of green tea tea with lime. It smells exactly like the Japanese lime tea I buy at my local tea store and I love it. I can’t detect the ginger though.

After Wearing It: It turns sweeter, like a big cup of green tea with lime and sugar. It’s very light and has faded a bit, I still don't feel the ginger but the smell is lovely anyway.

Final Impression: I love this smell to pieces. It’s the perfume of my dreams, with that wonderful and well-composed smell of green tea and lime. I’m going to wear this a lot.

Tea, citrus and ginger combined to make a crisp, clean, summer scent. It is very fleeting though, but on a hot day (like today!) it is perfect. Kumiho is in a word - refreshing!

In bottle: A sharp, almost lemony note of ginger.

On me: On the skin the tea comes out and the blend is sweetened and somewhat mellowed. It reminds me somewhat of Bath & Body Work's White Tea & Ginger, save it contains a sweet lemon mingling with the ginger and tea.

Kumiho

White tea and ginger? No, but the most delicious green tea with lime. Not that I know what white tea smells like anyway... I do however know and love ginger, so it's a bit of a pity it seems to turn all citrusy on me, but I love lime as well so it's quite alright. I also detect something vaguely spicy I think of as "clove", that might actually be the ginger. As it dries it becomes slightly sweeter and fainter, but still a very yummy, juicy, fresh scent of green tea with lime. It's absolutely inoffensive since it's so light and fresh, and to me it's also absolutely irresistible.

Edited by Caltha

This was one of several imps that Molly Moon included in the box I bought from her.

In the bottle: A light, crisp citrus. It takes me a couple of sniffs to get the ginger.

Wet: Holy cow! That's Lemon Pledge, complete with the acrid aftertaste (after-smell?) of the dust that's been wiped up.

Drydown: Ok, the Lemon Pledge is very slowly calming down and I think what I'm thinking of as "dust" is actually the tea. There is only the faintest whiff of ginger.

Later: Okay, now it's starting to smell like tea and ginger! It's a very clean scent, very fresh, maybe a bit more masculine than I normally wear. Or maybe a good one for scenting a bathroom or kitchen.

Verdict: It smells nice in the bottle. It eventually smells nice on me. But it takes a very long time to dry down and lose the overpowering lemon and the final scent is nice but not something I love. This one will go in the swap pile.

In the bottle: Hm. When I was a kid I had a "perfume-making" set. Of course most of the "oils" that were in the set smelled pretty hideous all around - very soapy, from what I can remember. This, in the bottle, smells exactly like one of those oils, soapy and sharp. It's very strange. Fortunately, it mellowed a lot once I put it on.

Wet: I'd never thought of ginger as a soapy scent, but just the other say someone I know said it went soapy on them. And then I put on Kumiho, and immediately the ginger started smelling soapy. Nice soap, though. Like you'd buy at an expensive boutique.

Drydown: Still, unfortunately, mostly soapy. The tea comes out just the tiniest bit, but you know what this really smells like on my skin? Lemon verbena. Weird.

Overall, it's not a bad scent. It's very fresh (obviously) and smells very expensive. I just don't think it's for me.

Bottle: Smells like bitter and dark lemon with a little bit of iced tea in the background

On me: Oh. My. God! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! It's gentler now with a light floraly ginger coming through the tea. It's now like lightly sweetened white tea with ginger and a lemon slice in it.

Overall: I will buy more of this when I run out, it's PERFECT for me. I love teas and I love smelling teas all the time so this was a natural to go with my white tea and ginger shampoo. This is the perfect spring/early summer scent to go with flowy skirts and wooden jewelry and sitting outside sipping some iced tea.

I guess I don't mind so much that it's a light blend and doesn't stay so strong, it will definately layer well with some of the other scents I have. Oh my, I can't stop smelling myself!

Why I tried it: White tea and ginger? How could I not? I've only smelled a clone of BBW's white tea and ginger scent but I love it.

In the bottle and wet: Oh yeah this is already good. It's mostly tea with a touch of ginger to it.

Drying down: The ginger's showing up more; it's a nice fresh ginger with a little of that lemony smell that you get when you slice into ginger root.

Dry: It's more ginger than tea now, but it's still quite gorgeous. Another perfect summer scent. Thanks to not updating my wishlist, I've ended up with two imps and that makes me happy as it seems to fade rather quickly.

I love Kumiho, I really do, but... on me it smells *exactly* like Shangai.

Tonight, I applied both to make sure that I was not imagining things and I honestly cannot smell any significant difference between my two wrists. Kumiho might be a touch drier and less sweet than Shangai. I hardy get any ginger from it; it is all tea and lemon.

I love them both, but since I have a bottle of Shangai, I may not need more Kumiho for a little while...

Edited by Ishtar

In the imp: This is citrusy. Very citrusy. I'd say almost lemon fresh Pledge citrusy with just a bite of something spice underneath which I assume is the ginger. I'm not smelling tea at all, unless maybe it's a lemongrass blend. Certainly not a white tea scent which in experience is sweeter and more subtle. I don't know if I'll like this or not.

Wet: Still cleaning product like. Stronger than it smelled in the bottle. I'm still getting lemon with an undertone of spice, but the spice is not giving it much depth. It smells very sharp to me. So far, this is not for me, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Early dry down: The citrus has tamed itself somewhat, and now I can smell the ginger coming through. It's a sharp ginger and not a warm ginger. It smells very clean and fresh to me. I still don't get white tea from it, but it does remind me of an herbal tea blend I used to drink with lemongrass and rose hips. It's the strongest scent I've tried to date, and the one that smells the least like "me" on my wrists so far. It seems to overpower my natural scent, not blend with it.

Late dry down: This scent has stayed remarkably true to itself and it's still going strong over an hour later. For anyone who likes sharp citruses this would be a good bet, but it's not for me. It's making the back of my throat feel like achy and like I want to sneeze. Way too perfumey, and a floral note has developed that simply isn't me. Bleh.

This is an absolutely georgeous scent in the vial and is very true to its description - it smells almost exactly like a ginger peach tea that I love, but without the peach and with maybe a little citrus.

I really like the fresh clean smell of this and had hoped it would be perfect as a sophicticated perfume for the still hot days of late summer.

Unfortunately, though, while Kumiho smells delightful, it fades almost instantly on my skin. As in before I even finished dressing and left by bedroom the morning I tried it, it was gone.

So many people have mentioned a similarity to Shanghai, which makes me happt, since I just received that from a swap, so maybe I wil have more lick with that one.

In the imp: Tea.

On, wet: TEA. And a bit of a citrus note. Not biting like lemon, but also not the sharp/spicy scent of (non-citrus but actually IN the blend) ginger.

Later: It pretty much never morphed, and then faded quickly as such scents seem destined to do.

I like the tea scents quite a bit, but I already have Embalming Fluid and Severin for that. I may try layering it with a little bit of ginger essential oil in carrier oil, see if that helps bring out the ginger.

Tea and ginger! I can actually pick out notes for once. On me it smells just like white tea and ginger. I don't get much lemon and the scent doesn't morph very much, maybe getting a tiny bit sweeter before it fades completely. I love this scent, but it's too light on me. During the summer, I put it on and a half hour later it's gone. Maybe it'd be good for staying at home in cooler weather--the SO likes it, since it's not "perfume-y", just clean and delicious.

Kumiho is intensely sharp and lemony. Bpal's white tea is really clean, sharp and citrussy on me, and the ginger just gives it even more of a lemony sharpness. It winds up smelling like some sort of harsh lemon cleanser on my skin, turning soapier in the drydown. :(

Edited by Little Bird

In the imp, this smells sharply lemony, almost like furniture polish.

When it touches my skin, the lemony scent settles, and I realize that it's the the ginger that I'm smelling. It's the same sharp, tangy ginger that's in Shub, but more simply framed with a nice background of tea.

As it dries on me, it remains much the same as when I first put it on, zingy, and light. It's something I'd reach for in hot weather when I want something distinctive, but not overwhelming.

A bit later, and it's still nice, but melting quickly into my skin. I have to put my nose close to my wrist and inhale deeply to really get it. I don't mind, beacause that will make it perfect for warm weather wear. I probably won't buy a bottle, but I will be keeping my imp.

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

i definitely didn't expect nine-tailed fox demons to smell like this :}

in the bottle, i get a lot of ginger, not so much tea, but it's very light and i don't get any lemon polish or anything weird like that. i don't want to say PLAIN, but it's simple, just those two, nothing weird.

i worried that it would go baby powdery on me, but it doesn't! i can't say i'm in love with this, but it's definitely nice, crisp tea and ginger, .. crisp. i just keep coming back to the word crisp. not crisp like linen but crisp like lemon, except not lemon :P

definitely a keeper, at least for now. a nice scent to wear on grey, yucky, rainy days and days you feel like ass, to make you lively.. or at least not a zombie :D