Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

oakmoss, that's exactly the scent I've been seeking as well (and it rained only in front of my bookshop Friday, huge hot raindrops).

I think maybe there would be some ozone in the right scent, and something with coumarin (probably not the way you spell it--sweetgrass, that vanilla part of grass drying, woodruff has it also when dried)--but just a bit--and stone and wet, yep.

If anyone could create it, Beth could.

You should really consider trying Mag Mell if you haven't previously. It's worth a try. Let it drydown for at least 10 minutes.

As I was searching for my imp of Mata Hari to wear on this cold rainy winters day an imp of Debauchery pushed its way into my hand.

IMO Debauchery is such a perfect scent to wear on a cold rainy day - it's warm and comforting, like you're snuggling up on the couch with the love of your life and a hot cup of tea in your hands :P

It rained here yesterday, for just a couple of minutes, big drops I knew wouldn't last, but still, amazingly unexpected here in northern California in the summer -- we normally wouldn't get any rain until autumn. The sweet sweet scent of the blissful rain hitting the hot earth, the dry grass, the thirsty trees, was swooningly delicious. I kept thinking how much I would LOVE a BPAL scent like this, even just to smell out of the bottle if it didn't work on my skin. I've tried almost all the rain scents, none of them were quite it, so I thought I'd bump this thread and keep those suggestions coming! :D

Edited to add a bit, now that I skimmed again through this whole thread -- the scent I crave isn't just rain. It's rain on dry grass, releasing that sweet hay smell with a moistness that also smells a bit like stone, cool water falling on hot stone. I'm not asking for much, am I?

Death Cap.

It's not a traditional aquatic at all, but it's the only scent I've ever found (from any company) that comes close to that smell, the steam coming off the warm earth just as it begins to rain. There's a coconut note in it too, though - so it's a bit like you're wearing suntan lotion in the rain. It's gorgeous. The drydown doesn't work on me, sadly, but that warm rain scent is there at the start.

ETA: And actually, yes, you are asking for much. :P I've tried a bunch of "rain" scents and other aquatics, and they mostly just smell like soap or cologne, without that real earthiness. The closest thing I'd tried before Death Cap was a Demeter fragrance, Thunderstorm, which really smelled more like lettuce and dirt than rain. I'd begun to think it was a scent that just couldn't be duplicated.

Edited by ClareN

I wear Tzadikim Nistarim when it rain -- I don't know if the humidity amps the scent, or if it naturally smells damp, but the combination of this scent and damp skin is heavenly (pun partially intended :P). It smells clean and warm and very natural, like it's the scent of my own skin but...better. :D Love it.

Sea of Glass reminds me of a light spring rain. Its very soft clean smelling.

I still have a bottle of Storm Moon that has aged beautifully. It is musky and a tempestuous thunderstorm. The kind that come in the early evening in the summer. It vaguely smells like a yummy boy, the musky note, which certainly doesn't hurt the appeal!

Empyreal Mist, Hurricane, June Gloom, St. John, and Hurricane smell like rain/storm too, but those scents don't particuarly do anything for me. Meh. lol.

Having tested extensively now - and still missed quite a few (like storm moon!) - I'd like to say that my favorite rain scents, storm scents are: Lightning and Thunderbird. Lightning is almost all ozone to my nose, but still lovely, just a tad of the sweet water notes. Thunderbird is softer, sweeter, more rainstorm and less pure lightning. I love it and consider my search for rain a success at this point =)

Sturgeon Moon is very evocotive of rain to me. Particularly a rainshower on the shore of Lake Superior, cold, sweet and freshening.

It's been stinking hot for nearly a week, but the clouds have finally given up & the rain is falling in huge, hot splats.

Enter Visiting the Temple of Auspicious Fortune... :joy:

Hey! So this is my first post/thread in the recommendation area and I'm not too sure I did everything right. I did some searching to try and find some similar topics but couldn't so I hope making this thread is okay. Could you guys give some hints on how to search for a first time forum-er?

Also, the main topic of this post is I would like some recommendations for some rainy scents. Alkemia has a perfume called "When Mist Becomes Rain" and its just....aaaaaa its beautiful. It's not aquatic or really an ozone perfume. Its just wet.

I thought something like that might be fun to wear in the springtime when it gets rainy.

The Lab's website has a wonderful directory where you can search scents by notes or scents. I would go there... you can plug in rainy or watery and it will pull up some recommendations. Some might be discontinued scents, but it is a good place to go as well. :) They have aquatic on there!

https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-directory/

Edited by Numanoid

I have to say the one that I am hoping makes a reappearance is from the Carnival, Stormclouds Over the Midway. To me that was an amazing evocation of a rainstorm in the summer.

Here's a thread on aquatic florals that may be of some interest to you - http://www.bpal.org/topic/65453-watery-or-aquatic-florals/?hl=aquatic and also one on rain scents http://www.bpal.org/topic/14650-rain-scents/?hl=rain

I am not an aquatic fan myself, but objectively, the ones I liked best have been the new Halloween scent The Haunted Beach Pale, moonlit musk, sea salt, and ambergris. and the GC Egle Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

Happy sniffing!

Lightning smells like the stillness and rain just before a storm to me... the trouble being if you sniff it with the wrong head on it is somewhat reminiscent of baby shampoo :D

Visiting the Temple on the eve of Auspicious Fortune (I think that's its name...it's super long) is a good rainy scent, though it's incens-y too, which may not be yuor thing?

You have some great suggestions so far, Waiting, The Haunted Beach, and Stormclouds over the Midway all showcase the different olfactory experiences rain can have over different places and geographical locations. Here's one more to add to your list:

On the Porch In the Rain: A white chypre drenched in soft spring rain against a backdrop of gently swaying bamboo reeds

Thunder Moon, Waiting, Poisson D'Avril for rainstorm

Pool of Tears, Sea Foams Milk, Y'ha Nthlei, Windward Passage, Cristobal, Gold and Tears for salt water

My favorite aquatic is Lady of Shallot, Sea of Glass gets honorable mention, as does Water of Notre Dame

With respect to searching, I find the best ideas by going to the Directory on the Lab's website, and clicking on their categories, especially individual notes, but they have themes also like Rain, Rage, etc. It's time consuming to search this way, but worth it.

Also, if I love a particular BPAL perfume, I search the review thread and hunt down samples or read reviews of what others consider to be similar scents

Edited by sprout

I love aquatic and watery scents! I would also recommend Waiting (from the current Motherhood collection) as it really does have the smell of wet pavement. You might also look at The Stormhold (Neil Gaiman - Stardust), Thalassa the Galapagos Mermaid (Carnival Diabolique), and Plague of Frogs (Hellboy).

There are several good aquatic scents in the Picnic in Arkham collection too!

My fave aquatic ever is Sturgeon Moon, from 2008. Bayou is probably the best GC equivalent of it--there's a bit of sharp greenery, but it's mostly watery without being too soapy.

Petrichor (rather than ozone, mind you) is my favorite smell in the whole world, so now that I've tried a few scents, I figured I'd weigh in. I don't think it's possible to create a scent that smells exactly like that after-rain smell, but these come somewhat close for me. (They are also my top three favorite scents so far, ha!).

Death Cap: this smells like damp, loamy earth and dead leaves.

Anne Bonny: this one also crosses over into the "nice scents to wear when it rains" category. It smells like just rained-on cedar wood, but also has a warming quality that makes it feel cozy on a rainy day.

Elf: this is very ymmv, but to me, the dry-down on this smells like a forest where it has just rained and there are still raindrops on the leaves and flowers. I adore it.

10 hours ago, feyofthefellwood said:

Petrichor (rather than ozone, mind you) is my favorite smell in the whole world, so now that I've tried a few scents, I figured I'd weigh in. I don't think it's possible to create a scent that smells exactly like that after-rain smell, but these come somewhat close for me. (They are also my top three favorite scents so far, ha!).

I don’t know if I’m allowed to recommend another company on this thread... here I go....... Solstice Scents’ During the Rain is an amazing petrichor scent! 

I’m sure the lab has made something with a petrichor note...