Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lear

A regal, commanding scent, but poignant. White cedarwood, blue sage and bay leaf.

In the bottle: Stong woody overtones, with something almost sweet, almost chemically underneath. Not sure about this when I opened the bottle but this disappears immediately when it goes on the skin.

Wet: Lots and lots of cedar with strong bay. Like I rolled in forest undergrowth. I love the fact that the sweet tone is gone, it's super earthy.

Dry: Still keeps that earth tone but the bay comes out a bit more. It lightens tremendously, so I do need to reapply, but it's a lovely scent which does tend to work reasonably well on me. Could be nice on a guy too.

Here's what I guessed: white sandalwood, maybe frankincense, and white sage. It's interesting how wrong I can be. This is a dry scent, headed towards the masculine. Earthy, but in a pale sort of way.

This is more of a wooden scent than the woodsy smell I was expected. I thought it would smell like a forest, but it smelled more like sawdust and dill. It's pretty, but a little dry smelling for my tastes. I bet it would smell really good on some people, though.

White cedarwood, apparently, smells like cedar but less intensely red. The "white" in it reminds me a little of frost and a little of white flowers. More the latter than the former.

In any case, it blends right into the sage, and the bay is a beauty paired with them, framing the scent with its herbal-rustic mood. There might be oak and eucalyptus here, too.

I like this, though the bay gets intense on my skin after a while.

CEDAR!!!!! But the nice, warm, glowing kind, not the pencil shaving kind. I don't like it, but I think I know someone who might! The faint green notes from the sage and bay are nice touches.

Imp: Sage and Cedar
Wet on me: Much more cedar than sage on my skin initially.
Drying Down: not getting the bay leaf but the sage is keeping the cedar from really overpowering everything. Cedar can be such a strong note.
Dry: This is definitely a more masculine scent. the sage and cedar blend beautifully. I can't pick out the bay leaf but that maybe that note that blends the others together so we.. I like this!

Almost all cedar and bay leaf on me. Just a touch of sage. The cedar is very raw and rough. The scent as a whole is savory, warm, and dry.

In the imp: Sharp, dry cedarwood - more lumber room than pencil shavings/hamster cage. After a couple of good sniffs, I start to be able to detect some herbal sweetness (particularly the bay, I think), but the cedar is still definitely front and center.

Wet: Ouch. The cedar actually gets drier and sharper, and the herbs are all but nonexistent. Luckily, the cedar settles the hell down after a few minutes, leaving... mostly still cedar, actually; just a softer, less abrasive cedar.

Dry: Where'd you go, Lear??? After 45 minutes, the soft cedar turns into almost nothing. It's like I put on perfume yesterday and there's still a faint ghost of it clinging to the cuffs of my shirt, but that's it. It's so soft that I can't even tell what notes are there; just a vague, indistinguishable resinousness that could be any of a hundred perfumes. Who would have thought that such a loud, abrasive scent could disappear so quickly? Oh, well, I guess it's kind of in character...

Edited by Lunasariel

Lear is all cedar

drowning out the bay and sage

as if mansplaining.

Edited by Lucchesa

I get a lot of sage and bay from this one. The cedar is behaving for me and generally plays nice. Needless to say, it's very herbal and green. If it stayed like a handful of herbs it would be quite nice, but it turns pretty medicinal on me. It's still dry, but it's a little harsh to my nose. What a shame.

In the imp: I can smell all of the notes, but it is hard to say which one is the most prominent. Sometimes, I smell more blue sage, and sometimes, I smell more of the bay leaf over the white cedarwood.

Wet: The blue sage is the first note to jump out at me, followed by the white cedar, and then the bay leaf. After a few minutes, the herbal notes get stronger. It's a cool, almost medicinal scent, thanks to the blue sage, warmed by the bay leaf and the cedar base. But as it begins to dry, the cedar becomes stronger.

Dry: This is now cedar dominant, although the bay leaf and blue sage are still quite prominent. I am now getting more of the bay leaf than the blue sage.

Verdict: This one isn't bad, but it is far too masculine for me to wear.