Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

Very harsh and fiery in the imp.

At first it's all about the gritty patchouli and DB (which on me btw is lilac-y). Those mellow down pretty quickly though, and this settles into a lovely warm and spicy cinnamon/musk/DB/patch blend. Sweet (from the musk and DB) and strong, but not overpowering or sickly sweet. I never got any vetiver (sad, because I love vetiver)

The imp was frimped to me so I have no idea how old it is... But I do in fact really like this one, and I totally wasn't expecting to.

Surprise hit :P

ETA to add description

Edited by Browneyes

In the Bottle: Egads! That's potent! It's like smelling a bottle of Grand Marnier that's been exposed to years of smoke. Blech!

Wet: It's so dense to me. I smell more of a woodiness than I did in the bottle. It's also got a bite that I'm sure is the cinnamon. And there is a perfumey sort of softness. Not really sweet but not at all harsh, just soft.

Dry: Sweeter, much sweeter. Still very strong and it's proving a bit painful to inhale deeply, so I have to sniff carefully lol. That earth/woodiness is still there but very much a background player. It's still a bit spicy too, but not much.

Later: Same as above really. Although the spice is almost non-existent.

Final Verdict:

Not bad, but not for me. The sweetness once again turns me off. *wants to know if his mother downed sugar when he was in the womb* :P

Total vetiver at first--yikes! Vetiver is my nemesis. That overpowering note fades a bit and the dragon's blood starts to come out. An hour later I've got a musky, earthy dragon's blood mixture. It's interesting but not remotely something I'd want to wear.

Bloodlust: (from a swap) In the imp, the oil is dark red! It smells like dragon's blood and cedar. On, a bit of spicyness joins in. I hope this one is good because I have very high hopes for it, although red musk is iffy on my skin (smells like vaseline!). I think the Indonesian patchouli is what was giving me the cedar scent. As it's drying, it's a little sweeter than I expected, but staying nice. It's got a little bit of sinus-clearing quality to it! I don't know if that is the cinnamon or what. If I concentrate I think I can detect all the elements. The red musk that isn't quite right on me in Mme. Moriarty is definitely there, but I think the other scents are holding it down, keeping it from smelling so petroleum-like. I like this one, but I think I need to test it at the same time as Tanin'Iver to see which works better on my skin. They seem to be somewhat similar to me.

After about 15 minutes, I'm getting spicy dragon's blood over something that is just slightly rubbery smelling. Must be the red musk. I hope that scent goes away. This is a very warm scent. After half an hour, on some sniffs I get this lovely warm sweet scent, but on most of them it's spicy rubber. Oh well. I guess Tanin'Iver will be my spicy dragon's blood scent. I need to try this on my sister, she may be able to wear it better than me.

If all the elements of this one had behaved on my skin, this would have probably been a bottle purchase, but it was not to be. :P

Wet: Thick, heady, sweet, strong, with the dragon's blood and vetiver prominent.

Drying: Muskier as it ripens, with almost a men's-cologne feel to it -- but not obnoxiously so, the way The High Priest Not to Be Described is on me. I don't get the cinnamon at all here.

Drydown: Long-lasting, with a good, strong throw. The sweet resin and powdery end of the vetiver hang on longest, but close to the skin, the musk definitely sticks around too.

Apparent effect on Lady Crow's private life: Positive. :P

This one is now up there with Blood Amber on my short list of "strong, sexy, grr, more of this please" scents. I was already a fan of a lot of the notes in this, and I don't think I'll be able to hate anything with dragon's blood in it, but something about this one is just -- did I mention "grr"?

Orange as mercurochrome, Bloodlust reeks of patchouli and musk in the bottle, with a healthy dose of dragon's blood.

On, it's skin-smooth, and just a little dirty. Patchouli and vetiver give it a roll in the grass, and it wasn't a clean smell to begin with. It is close, though, and not overtly aggressive with the throw.

As it smooths out, it's a nice patchouli scent with some grass from the vetiver and a whiff of cinnamon. I want to say that I smell leather in here, but I think that's just my nose smelling the vetiver and screaming Iago! Iago!, trying to fill it in.

This is a very dark, finely-honed scent, well-named and very sexy. Equally suitable for men or women; the cinnamon note here is not overwhelming or candylike, it's more of a dirty spice smell.

When wet this is extremely strong patchouli and vetivert. It's almost overwhelming in fact. However the dragon's blood and musk quickly emerge and the patchouli and vetivert become smoother. When completely dry it's nearly all dragon's blood, but a darker, murkier less sweet dragon's blood. It has good throw and excellent last. I really like this a lot and it's a possible bottle.

This has patchouli in it, which is one of my dreaded notes, but it doesn't come off too much like "Hello, I'm a head shop", so that's good.

It has a strange resiny quality to it on my skin, and an odd musky sweetness. It's like if I were to sweat cinnamon. It smells very much of body heat. I don't mean either of those in a bad way.

Also, I got that same maraschino cherry thing that others have mentioned, which makes me think of "Blood" (appropriately enough...) but I hated Blood, and I'm ok with this.

Just ok. It doesn't really grab me right now. I'll try wearing it some day this week and see how it goes for a full day (the real test of any scent!) but for now, I don't think it's going to be one of my keepers.

It is a very fiery one that sadly is not for me, don't care much for Dragon's blood or the cinnamon and patchouli isn't my favorite. this imp is going in the sale pile.

hmmm, with notes like this, I was excited about the possibilities here...

in fact, this was one of the first BPAL I tried, years ago, before I had any ability to predict what works on me or doesn't... and I ended up giving it to a friend, who loved it.

But hey! This should work on me!

I got this as a frimp and in the vial it is really really nice. Warm, red, soothing to a person raised by hippies.. Not necessarily a stand-out among warm red hippieish scents, but nice nonetheless.

Once this hit my skin, though? Nope. Within ten minutes it has lost the red warmth, and it gets all "baked-goodsy" on me. This is a specific signature that a lot of BPAL takes on for me. It's like some crunchy oat cake made with dates or something. Not really anything I want to smell like. I wonder what it is that turns it so? maybe Beth's vetiver, which, although I LOVE vetiver, is a bit less sharp than the vetiver SN that I have worn for decades...

Now, 45 minutes later, I can hardly smell anything. wierd.

This would be one for a scent locket in the car on a warm day. yum. It's not so precious that I wouldn't mind using it up that way... or maybe I'll send it to that friend who got that first imp.

Bloodlust makes me think about when people talk about the simplicity of the GC blends in comparison to the complexity of LEs... I don't always buy that; some of my faves are GC and deep, but this is one GC that illustrates that argument perfectly.

In Bottle: I get a sharp, bitter scent, very musky.

Wet: It's still dry but I smell less of the musk and now I think I smell some of the vetiver.

Dry: Still less of the musk and more of the vetiver, I do however get alot of the patchouli now.

I really don't like this one. It's too dry and pungeant for me.

In the imp: Can definately smell the red musk which is good, also the patchouli which I don't mind either but then in the background there is definately, what I'd call, 'masculine' notes. I think it might be vetiver.

Wet on skin: Yep. Red musk, patchouli & sexy man. :P

Dry on skin: This dries to the red musk & patchouli but also has a definately spicyness but more curry than cinnamon!

Overall: Not me at all. It smells too masculine for me & that odd curry spice note I bring out which is not good. I may hang on to my imp to see how it smells on a victim of the opposite sex.

Edited by Mixxi

I have yet to smell a perfume that actually smells filthy but oh god this is - wow. Cherry (from the dragon's blood), dunked in mud and rolled around in some dirt, and then covered in fungus. Wow. Just... wow.

I think it's the vetiver AND patchouli AND red musk hitting me all at once; vetiver is a no-go and the other two are really iffy on me, and this is just everything wrong about all of those.

Oh, yeah, that dusty lusty lust-in-the-dust smell that I love! It has a slight butterscotch undertone, which fades (fortunately). Now the spices and cinnamon are coming up. It seems like the spices will hang around for a while. That’s a very good thing.

Wet I'm first hit with a musky almond, which then slowly gets a hint of incense. I have to admit that I could barely pick out the notes in Bloodlust, I just ended up really liking it. It smells very lovely and mature. The Dragon's blood most certainly helped, I love that note so much.

Ooooooh, this one is angry. In a rage, almost. As well it should be, since it's always a nice thing when a perfume oil lives up to its name.

Unfortunately, Bloodlust took its anger out on me.

Sigh.

Thankfully, I got this one as a frimp from the lab. In the bottle it was earthy and musky, but on me? Pure and distilled cigarette smoke. :P I hate smoke of any kind, but cigarette smoke is the worst (er, no offense to any smokers out there, btw) and it eclipsed everything else to the point where I had to wash this one off before any sort of drydown because it was so foul. It's still sort of lingering, but whatever note that induced the live ashtray smell that got stuck in my throat every time I inhaled (*glares at the vetiver*) is mostly gone and I can smell what I think is the musk and dragon's blood that was under it. It's nice and sexy in a very primal way here, but the initial hit is so bad that this one is gonna have to off to a better home.

In the bottle and first on the skin, this smells spicy and a little Christmas-y as well. Then the dragon's blood and fire steps up, along with the musk - my, my, this here is one heckuva winning combination!! This is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite blends. It is hot, hot, hot, and sexy as all get out! Morphs into a lightly sweeter, more seductive version of the above, with some creaminess and a bit of smoke coming into play. Each individual note is miraculously blended, cinnamon and dragon's blood being the most prominent - but perhaps that is only because I have had the most experience with those two notes and thus explains why they leap out to my nose. I don't know what else to say, except that I love this blend with an unholy passion and it is headed straight to my top five list! Love, love, love this! :P

ETA: After reading some other reviews I feel I should elaborate a bit more on the specifics of this scent. This is like redhots with the tiniest touch of patchouli, drowned in dragon's blood resin, and a healthy dribble of incense-y musk. It is hot, creamy, smoky, and sexy! Also, this is my boyfriend's #1 favorite BPAL scent for me to wear. He says it smells sexy and totally unique - that it stands out and above other blends he smelled on me (71 of them) in its excellence. That is all.

:D

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

The patchouli amps way up in this one and it makes the vetivert snarl with it. So it's too mean for me to wear. It's just too angry. Also, it made me sneeze and the tiny patch of skin where I tried it got a burny feeling! I don't think Bloodlust likes me. Which is very sad, because that cinnamon-dragon's blood sweet spiciness is lovely.

Bloodlust

In no time, I can immediately detect dragon's blood, musk, and patchouli. Dragon's blood is the strongest note in this. This is certainly unique, but I'm not really liking how the notes work together.

[ 2 - Dislike ] I have mixed feelings about dragon's blood, and in this, it takes charge. It's kind of weird (to me) with patchouli and musk.

Conquest, indeed. It appears to have triumphed over my sinus infection (just blasted through, didn't eradicate, but am giving it time). This is a well-balanced blend to me, all the notes are in proportion with red musk coming out just on top. I think there is a bit of a sour backdrop for me, but it doesn't take away from the overall pleasantness. Like. Not love, but like. I find it amusing that with my imp, the liquid is so red and strong that it dyed the vial stopper red as well...

Dragon's blood and I don't seem to get along AT ALL, but there seems to be some hope for Bloodlust. Maybe it's the patchouli and vetiver?

I have since learned that Dragon's Blood always turns into sweet cherry soap on me, but this was one of the first scents I tried. It starts with tons of veviter, which I'm a big fan of, then calms into spicy and dragon's blood. I almost like it, and can smell the cinnamon (yay!), but then the db makes it sweet and soapy.

Bottle: dry, dusty, earth & wood

Wet: the dragon’s blood comes out, the cinnamon gets a little sharp here

Dry: sharp edge over earth woods and smoke

Fits the name very well and the cinnamon and dragon’s blood are a nice touch to the earth and woods.

Received this as a frimp, but sadly not at all for me. I liked the color (darker red than usual) in the imp, but that was about it. I'd never smelled dragon's blood before, so I'm not sure if that disagreed with me, but I don't like vetiver at all and between that and the patchouli not a scent I wanted to risk trying on the skin.