Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

In the Imp: Fiery Cinnamon, Dragon's Blood and Vetiver

On: CINNAMON! Dragon's Blood, something dark and woozy, with a hint of vetiver. I smell like a red hot.

Verdict: Need a bottle.

This is a wonderful frimp from the frimp fairy (aka labbies)! :P

First sniff: Morello cherry, cinnamon, clove, heavy musk, and dark dragon's blood.

This is one dark scent. Makes me think of a swanky, red velvet drenched martini lounge.

On: Oh bliss! A hint of patchouli kicks in after 10 minutes. What a lovely scent! Top notes dark cherry, dark musk, cinnamon, clove, finished a dark dry cinnamon and patchouli.

Verdict: A bottle shall be ordered at once!

The deep red of this oil in the imp is fascinating, although it stains my handkerchief.

On my skin, the vetiver immediately materializes in an acrid puff, briefly repelling me. However, after a few seconds it dies down, as it always does, and reveals the rest of the scent: musk, cinnamon, patchouli; is that clove I smell? And then the dragon's blood comes out, and finally I get the cherry-and-spice smell that I've heard it's supposed to have; in every other blend, it smells of flowers on my skin, but in this balance it's much better.

The smell of this isn't the red of the oil itself, it's the nearly black red of blood when it pools and congeals, plus the brassy sheen of the vetiver scent. The spicy smell here is almost animalistic, somehow, and the cinnamon is wonderfully warming. I may try this layered with a bit of plain patchouli, because I love patchouli and its sweetness is covered up rather by the sharpness of the cinnamon and vetiver.

In any case, I'm definitely considering a bottle of this. I'll probably want to apply it rather heavily, and my imp is already nearly half gone...

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dirty.

In the imp: Red musk and patchouli and maybe vetiver. No cinnamon or dragon's blood at all.

On skin, wet: Just the barest hints of cinnamon and dragon's blood, and very heavy on the patchouli, musk and vetiver. I've never been much of a fan of red musk, so I'm not quite digging this at the moment.

On skin, dry: Musky patchouli (emphasis on musky) and a very faint, muted cinnamon. Dragon's blood peeks up every now and then, but for the most part, it's musk and patchouli. The patchouli, which can go either way on me, has decided not to turn out well in Bloodlust, on my skin. Bloodlust is... heavy and earthy, in a freshly-turned-earth kind of way.

Conclusion: Bloodlust is feral and primal and deep, and very earthy. And not very me at all. Now, if the dragon's blood and cinnamon were stronger, and the red musk weaker? I'd be all over this in spades, I think; likely a 10ml. As it is, I'll definitely keep the imp (thank you, dear VenusFlyTrap!), and I may try it in a few weeks. For now, though, Bloodlust and I aren't meant to be, which surprises me greatly.

Edited by Aredhel

I keep sniffing this and never quite know what to say -- most of my favorite ingredients are here: red musk (oh baby), patchouli and vetiver, the deep red/brown trinity of scents that I love, along with the unpredictable dragon's blood (I always like it on, but I NEVER feel like wearing it) and the always-disappointing-to-me cinnamon. Cinnamon can turn almost any scent to a spicy craft store potpourri on me, unfortunately.

When I first put this on, it's another spicy dragon's blood scent like Serpent's Kiss, which is OK but I really don't find it appealing. The thin, high cinnamon note tapers off quickly though and the dragon's blood mixes nicely with the deeper, darker notes. Mmmm, there's the red musk. The sexiest scent on earth. The most deep red, sensual, rich incensy note in the BPAL arsenal, in my book. Made earthy and gritty by my old favorites, patchouli and vetiver ... though they really don't dominate, to me. Then again I can almost never get enough of either.

It dries down with a return appearance of dragon's blood and cinnamon, and again I'm in a craft store and I'm not thrilled. That memory of the wild hot musk party lingers though....not enough for me to want more of this but maybe I'll kick the imp around. It would be a good sub for Telltale Heart once that goes out of production, I think!

Imp: Sweet and incensy. Not my normal mo, but I'm game.

Wet: This little kitty has teeth! Vetiver typically hates me from the get-go, but in this blend, it hasn't found its way past the musk and patchouli.

Dry: Incensy patchouli starts in the foreground, and is warmed by the musk. There's a hint of sweetness in the background, but it takes awhile to develop. Eventually, the almost sharp patchouli retracts its claws and fades away, letting the dragon's blood and spice come and lurk within the blissful musk. Vetiver never rears its sour, ugly head in this blend, and there is much rejoicing. At last! A blend with vetiver that doesn't hate me! After about 5 hours, the musk has died back, too, and I am left with a lightly sweet, almost creamy blend of dragon's blood and a touch of cinnamon.

note: I have 2 imps of this, one I got as a frimp (new) and one I got in a swap (aged). I currently really prefer the aged version, and have stashed my other imp for later use. I'm planning to do the same with the 5ml I ordered!

Straight out of the imp, I instantly smelled something very sharp and metallic. After a few moments, I realized it smelled like blood. Like a pail full of day old blood. But I was determined to give this imp a try. Worse comes to worse, I could always swap it!

When I put a wee bit on my wrists and neck, there was a strong smokey metallic smell. Which meant the patchouli was coming out. I like patchouli in very small bits, but in Bloodlust, it was overpowering along with the red musk and dragon blood.

Honestly, I’m going to blame my skin chemistry for this. There are particular things my skin likes, and particular things that it doesn’t like. My nose always tells me a scent is sweeter than it really is. That, and any musk other than white musk is a bit too strong for me. As for the dragon’s blood, well… it’s really my first time experimenting with it.

However, I did like the cinnamon in this. It was nice, smelling the cinnamon be the backdrop to all the scents.

So after two hours of wearing it, I did wash it off. If these scents are up your alley, I highly recommend it to you. It has good wafting power, and after washing it off once, I can still smell it.

bloodlust is not something I would have tried on my own, so when a friend gifted me with an imp, I was hesitant to try it. patchouli, red musk, they're not usually things that go well on me.

wet it smells like almonds and a woody note.

it gets drier and drier and the cinnamon really comes out on my skin. like stale red hots, but in a good way.

I get a lot of compliments wearing this, but I'm not sure it's a scent that I associate with me.

Very sexy though.

Mm, Dragon's Blood! I have found blends with Dragon's Blood in them are utterly divine and this is no exception. This is what I had searched for, a scent similar to Blood but not the same. Instead of smelling like blood pounding under questing lips (either for sex or food, you decide :P ), it's the smell of blood coursing through your veins during a good hunt. This isn't the smell of prey, this is the predator.

In the bottle: Strong and musky. And something else I can't figure out. *may be the dragon's blood, since I don't really know what that smells like.*

On wet: Just like in the bottle.

On dry: Morphs almost immediately into a very heady spiced patchouli. Reminds me of the temples I visited when I was younger.

Throw: Not much at first, but it actually seemed to grow as the day went on.

Verdict: This scent stayed on forever - through a shower and into the next day! Since summer is coming up, this one's going into hiding, but I can see wearing it on a fall/winter's night out. I'm thinking about making some candles out of it.

Edited by DogNPonyShow

In the bottle: Patchouli, red musk, vetiver and a hint of spice. Have I already mentioned I *hate* red musk?

Wet: Mostly patchouli and a bit of cinnamon and... the red musk comes out, yet I don't retch.

Drydown: This is very well blended. I can't make out the dragon's blood, but I think it lends a slightly spicy and resinous quality to the blend, and tones down the red musk. I can smell the vetiver on the edge of the blend as well as the patchouli, they ground it and also give it a bit of a "headshop" feel. I also get the cinnamon, which is a warm but bitter cinnamon. Not red hots, more like bark.

Overall: I'm pleasantly surprised by this, at least in the beginning. The patchouli/vetiver/cinnamon mix is very pleasant indeed, and I'm not getting much dragon's blood. But... after a few minutes, red musk stomps *everything* down. It becomes rubbery, gross and unpleasant and kills all the other notes one by one, except for a tiny dash of cinnamon that stays on bravely, and a bit of dragon's blood. So I'll have to swap this away, but I found it much nicer than I'd anticipated. At any rate, it corresponds to its name very well - it's certainly a conqueror!

In the bottle: This smells as red as it looks. Mostly spicy in the bottle.

Wet: This is all spicy musk when I first put it on. I can almost make out the patchouli but it disappears right when I notice it.

Dry: This is very sexy. There's something like cedar. A bit smoky also. The cinnamon isn't so apparent now.

Overall: Sex in a bottle. This is earthy and spicy and just plain sexy!

Hellooooooo, vetiver.

It's really earthy and strongly... dirty, I guess, when I first put it on. I wish the cinnamon would manifest, but I do like what it's morphed into, actually. There's a breath of something floral on top of the vetiver, which seems to have calmed down somewhat. It's really woodsy and smoky now, and seems to be quite masculine. I don't think this is something I'd wear often enough to merit a bottle, but I do like the blend. Excellent name, and I love that the oil is a vibrant red, too.

Bottle: Dragon's blood and red musk. Warm, a little sweet, very sensual.

Wet: The cinnamon is coming through the musk and dragon's blood, spicy and decidedly red-smelling.

Dry: I can catch the darker hints of patchouli underneath, and so far none of the vetiver-effect. this isn't angry, but it's certainly aggressive..and ooh sax-ay.

Later: can I say I ahm soo excited! The vetiver is adding a bottom note, but it isn't amping or turning foul on me! :P

I love Dragon's Blood so of course I expected this scent to be among my favorites... And it is towards the top of my list.

IB: I get the DB and patchouli - sweet plus sour woodsy.

OW: Same, but the vetiver is starting to emerge. As it dries, the DB really overwhelms everything else.

OD: Primarily DB, with a hint of musk, spice, and patchouli.

I've worn this one a few times now and I've noticed I need to be very careful with it... I become more argumentative and get set off a lot more easily - even on a day when I'm feeling in a very light mood. When I wear it, I get this warm feeling throughout my body that I only get with a couple of other scents - like Dragon's Heart.

I get all the notes, but the patchouli and musk are strongest initially with the blood and cinnamon coming into the drydown. Not my favorite blood scent, but nice none the less.

Guh :P

This is the smell of bloodlust. Sweet and sexy with dragon's blood and red musk, a hint of spice from the cinnamon (perfect amount--not too much), with a mean, dirty pull thanks to the vetiver. This is such a great example of how vetiver can put some oomph into a blend, since Dragon's Heart smells very similar to this, but lacks the sinister undertones.

The only thing missing here is something metallic, a copper or iron note strong enough to taste taste on your tongue. But I suppose that would sort of ruin the whole thing, asthetic-wise. I'm already in awe, just the way it is. Brava!

Ohh, I’ve been wanting to try this one for a long time! In the imp, I can smell the dragon’s blood, patchouli and cinnamon. Once on, the patchouli and cinnamon remain prominent while the dragon’s blood recedes and the red musk comes forward. This reminds me a lot of Sin, one of my favorites and the first 5 ml I ever ordered. This is absolutely divine!

This is an extremely strong oil and a little goes a long way. I put Sin on my other wrist to compare and they are extremely similar, there may be a touch more cinnamon in Bloodlust than in Sin, and there’s a slight herbal component that is missing in Sin, but other than that, they are just about identical.

As they wear, the differences (slight as they may be) come out. In Bloodlust, vetivert become more apparent and provides a base for the scent. Sin seems warmer and a bit softer. They are still quite similar and I love this oil!

Bloodlust is my favorite of the dragon's blood scents I've tried so far. It smells exactly as the Lab has described it. The general impression is dark and resinous. Glad I got to try it, and like it, but prefer other types of scents.

Bloodlust

In the imp: dragon's blood, patchouli and that heavy-as-lead vetiver.

Wet on skin: I can smell a little bit of cinnamon, but this isn't the nice, sweet stuff, this is a drier, more brutal cinnamon with intense red notes behind it.

Dry on skin: whoa, this stuff is powerful. It's almost like Serpent's Kiss meets Wrath. Tons of dragon's blood, earthy patchouli, dense vetiver, a spike of cinnamon…no musk yet but I'm sure it will appear soon. This is such an intense, red, and seething scent! More angry than Wrath or Rage, in fact.

After a while: metallic dragon's blood and spicy vetiver. This now reminds me of Umbra, but with lots of dragon's blood…it's dark, growling, still seething away but not lashing out as before. And yes, this vetiver has the potential to last several showers.

I was hoping for some red musk, but I can't smell it-the vetiver just rampages through this blend destroying everything in its path. It's all vetiver vetiver vetiver on me with no sign of letting up.

Verdict: this is probably the angriest smelling BPAL ever on me. Rage was too wussy for me. Wrath was too anger-managed. The Enraged Musks, so far, smelt lovely but didn't smell enraged to me. This on the other hand, is absolutely furious. The dragon's blood and vetiver are really crazy in here, eating all the other notes alive. At first I got a little bit of cinnamon and patchouli but then it's all dragon's blood and it's psychotic partner in crime, Vicious Vetiver, dominating the scent, fuming and growling. The red musk is much too scared to even show its face. It certainly fits the name, I must say, and Beth has really captured primal rage excellently. I just wouldn't wear this as perfume. I'm an angry Aries, this may make things worse. I much prefer Blood Kiss for if I want bloody-vetiver.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Wrath, Mars, Blood Kiss, Rage, Brimstone, Umbra

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions Musk and patchouli… plus dragon’s blood. Sounds like a good combination.

Bottle: I think I smell chocolate, which is odd, and the most predominant seems to be the musk. It’s a very heavy scent. But since all scents are heavy in the imp/bottle, I’m not too deterred.

Wet: Oh, ick. It’s way too heavy; there’s something sharp and it’s not a good sharp. It actually made me stomach turn over at one point. Good thing this is a test day because I wouldn’t want to wear this outside. I think there’s some wood in there, it’s like sandalwood, but not exactly. It doesn’t make me feel sexy or feral just yet.

Drydown: This doesn’t wear well on me at all.

Dry: After a couple hours, the scent fades to a manageable incense scent. I think it’s the dragon’s blood because this is the first scent I’ve worn with dragon’s blood in it. I’ll try others to test that theory out, but overall, the first two hours aren’t great. But after that I think it’s a wonderful scent. Kinda swarthy and hooded-eye-looks. Hee.

Overall: The imp is good for now!

Mmmm, I smell cinnimon and dragon's blood right off the bat. I can't wear cinnimon anymore (skin reactions), so this one is going to the boy right away. I will review it off his wrist.

"Incense!" he cries with glee, and slathers. It is fresh and clean and deep and sweet all at the same time. I just love it when BPAL does that! (Lurid is MY current new fave that does that). The cinnimon is the dominant top note, but mellows out with the glorious red musk. It all really blends beautifully. Hot, spicy, lickable skin. :P :D

This is like Sin and Blood Kiss come together, but fresher than either because of the vertiver.

Edited by lookingglass

What I got straight away was cinnamon and vetiver. Then the cinnamon burned off (fortunately!), and the scent brightened up a little. I could smell the dragon's blood and vetiver most strongly. Then the red musk. It definitely smells red to me, dark red. It settles into a lovely dark musky blend... heavy and sweet. I really like it when it's dry. After several hours it's practically like a dragon's blood single note -- that's the only thing left. Powdery and sweet.

The thing that really irritates me about this blend is that I really don't like it at first -- which surprised me. Red musk is my favorite musk, and I love dragon's blood, patchouli, and vetiver. But for the first ten minutes, it's nose-crinkly to me. I bought a 5ml of it several months ago and I don't think I've ever even opened it. The thought of going through the first 10 minutes is unpleasant enough that I don't wear the oil at all, even though the dry stage is fabulous.

I think I'm going to have to try harder to remind myself of how much I like it when it's dry, to distract myself from remembering the wet stage.

Bloodlust-

In Bottle: Must and chocolate. Not completely unappealing, despite the must (which usually puts me off).

Wet: Oh! I'm surprised how good this smells on me, even at first. A sharp woodsy smell, maybe even woody, with a touch of cedar. It's giving me a "yummy" impression. That sharpness seems to crawl right up my sinuses, when a take a good sniff. Yes, definitely cedary. I'm startled how much I like it since cedar smells like "hamster cage" to me usually and puts me off.

Dry: I can't believe how much I like this one. Great staying power, and I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists for more. It's absolutely yummy. I'm still getting chocolate when I sniff.

Overall: I like a WHOLE lot!