Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

Patchouli mainly, darkened by vetiver and a spicy, tickle-the-nose cinnamon top note. SO NOT FOR ME.

received as a frimp. it starts off with a burst of fruity dragon's blood, quickly followed by the brittle, earthy scent of vetiver. it definitely gets a burning sort of feel with the patchouli, red musk and hint of cinnamon. this is very earthy, and not really my thing but am glad i got to try!

Bottle: What it says on the tin - darkened dragon's blood, patchouli and vetiver. Reminds me of Blood Kiss, but much more earthy and masculine.

Wet: Cinnamon comes out to sweeten the dragon's blood - the slightly red-fruit scent that it sometimes takes on is coming out here. Such a morpher! I can barely detect the patchouli or vetiver anymore, which makes it much less masculine.

Dry: After a very brief absence, the vetiver is back, though the patchouli is completely gone. The cinnamon and subtle red-fruit settle down, but still work to lift up the scent. I still wouldn't call it as masculine, but it's definitely got a wild sort of feel - it's quite earthy but in a way that reminds me of the deep woods. Not in a dark and sinister way, just very primal, thick, and layered. There's a sharper "green" top-note that hides the earthiness underneath.

Verdict: This one is so interesting! I wasn't sure what to think of it in the bottle, as it reminded me of a bunch of other DB-heavy scents. It turned out to be so complex, though - each time I go to sniff my wrist, it seems like I get a new combination of notes. I'm holding on to my imp for sure; I'm definitely going to wear it out, though I can't think of a specific occasion right now. All in all, pleasantly surprised!

Yeep. On the wand, this smells brick red to me, with a little brick-dust-like patchouli, and loads of dragon's blood-vetiver musk.

On my skin, the cinnamon amps up, and the heavy red dragon's blood musk is nearly sickening.

After drydown, the red musk turns to malodorous armpit in the usual way that the lab's red musk reacts on my skin. It's not improving things...

This isn't for me.

Imp: heavy heavy dragon's blood and vetiver
Wet on Me: still heavy dragon's blood and veitver. hoping that as it dries I get more than that
Drying: getting the musk now and it's mingling with the dragon's blood and vetiver to become this heady cloud. really overwleming
Dry: mostly the red musk and never got any patchouli. Which is weird because my skin loves patchouli. thank heavens the vetiver faded.

Glad I got to try it, but it is not for me. Off to the trade pile!

This one is not for me, on many levels. It starts off with dragon's blood and almost-burnt patch/vetiver. Develops over time to smell like spicy fireplace ashes mixed with dirt...mixed with dragon's blood. I'd love to smell this on someone else, preferably someone who can actually wear dragon's blood notes!

In the imp I got way more patch and vetiver, but on my skin it's mostly dragon's blood backed my red musk just to intensify the redness. I tend to amp anything sweet so the more fruity dragon's blood is standing out. There is some patchouli and vetiver trying to do more than ply in the background, but it just isn't happening. I get zero cinnamon.

It's a very commanding blend and has a kind of aggressiveness to it, but I wouldn't be afraid to wear it to the right event.

I got this as a frimp, though I don't remember exactly from where now. I was pretty skeptical going in, because I've found anything with "Blood" in the title is generally not for me (though I do think it's absolutely fascinating how "blood-like" without being metallic it can be!)

First Sniff Impression: Smoky. Musky. Eew.

Wet in Vial: Definitely a heavy, red, smokey scent. Seems a good title for it. Got a tiny bit of the cinnamon.

Drying Down on Skin: Less smoke on the skin than in the bottle, which is good. All I can think of is that this must be what dragons smell like when they're in heat O_O. It's kind of off-putting for me. Ok, it's very off-putting for me.

Dry on Skin: This does sweeten up a bit, to make it more "sexual," but if that's the case it's not any sex I want to be having O_o

Conclusion: I'm sorry, but this one was just so not for me. I tried to wash it off with soap, and it was still there! So later at bedtime I tried to KILL IT WITH FIRE (Ahem, by that I just mean slathering Villainess's Fade Whipped all over it to smother the scent ...) Not trying this one again, but mad props for how strong and accurate the scent was! I feel like it would be great to get in the mood for writing a bloody fantasy battle scene or something.

Mmmmm, Dragon's Blood and Red Musk, I am in heaven

I get the cinnamon too, it plays support. Somehow the mixture of Patchouli, Vetiver and Cinnamon translates to Sassafras on me...it's actually pretty cool

This one wafts nicely too

It's going in the "imps I love" box

Bias: 'Bloodlust' is my favorite word. It's not weird.

In the imp: Smells like a haunted house! Or vetiver's haunted forest.

On skin: Sharp spicy red musk.

Later: Morph to vetiver smokiness and weird, sticky sweetness. There's something foul about the sweetness from the dragon's blood, but that's exactly what I want from this blend! Ha! This is the part where you eat your enemies.

Fading: A bit of musk, vetiver, and cinnamon. Clean, warm and pleasant.

I don't get the patchouli and thats a good thing. What I love about vetiver is how it's earthy but still clean smelling. A blend which smells both foul and clean. I don't know if that makes sense but it smells good. I'm glad I grew to like this one. It makes me feel like a badass.

Edited by asksdifficultquestions

Like it's name, this one is pretty viciousin the imp. When wet It's a dark vetiver and deep dragons blood which is doing that weird thing and going super floral, so it smells like smoky lilacs on my skin.

Red musk normally is right there at the forefront but both vetiver and DB are pretty long lasting on my skin so it's still faint. Even the cinnamon is barely detectable. To me it's almost like a cinnamon bark since it's so entwined with the vetiver.

It starts to mellow after about 20 min and it gets gooood. Like an older brother to Chimera.

I think I need a bottle to age because this stuff in 5 years will be so so good.

Wet: VETIVER!! Like, angry vetiver. And some deep dark musk - not the lab's typical sexy red musk note at all. The patchouli is dry and earthy rather than gnarly. This is an angry scent. Deep deep maroon in colour, both in the vial, and the image I get in my head when I sniff it.

Dry: Angry red musk and vetiver. Usually my skin eats vetiver, so for there to be any left there must be A LOT in there. The musk is more of a blood musk than red musk on me. Overall, this scent smells sinister and menacing, and it a cool atmospheric scent, but not something I want to wear.

Powdery patchouli and florally sweet. I expected this to be spicier than it's coming out on my skin. It's very soft and sweet, almost sickly sweet. No cinnamon redness on my wrist, though. It's giving me a bit of a headache like Love Me did (and smells similarly). I wish I could pick out the note they have in common. If anyone knows, a PM would be welcome!

Where I'd wear this: Amsterdam Red Light District, winter

This smells like smoke and vinegar in the imp, but on my skin it sweetens up a touch. Smoky vetiver and sweet dragon's blood, with red musk and earthy patchouli. Dark and foreboding but a touch rough for my tastes.

Definately dragons blood with a dark, heady patchouli 'n vetiver. The cinnamon gives it a sharp edge. Angry vampire.

For what it is, I really don't hate it (vetiver and dragons blood are some NOPE-notes for me) but, alas, not for me.

The dragons blood and vetiver are an interesting mix on my skin; I get very little patchouli which saddens my patch-lovin-heart. A slight drop of cinnamon makes this a very dry spicy blend, like dried blood, but not the gushing stuff itself.

I do not have high hopes for this scent. Dragon’s blood usually doesn’t agree with my skin chemistry, I only appreciate some types of patchouli, it’s very rare for me to enjoy a scent with vetiver in it, and red musk usually stomps all over everything on me. Well, here goes.

In the imp: I opened up the imp and the vetiver just punched me in the face. It’s a strong, smoky variety. I can also smell the dragon’s blood, red musk, patchouli, and a little cinnamon. It makes me think of a musky Malediction.

Wet: It’s sharp on me. The smoky vetiver is the strongest note, with the dragon’s blood and red musk behind it, and then some patchouli and cinnamon. The cinnamon is stronger on me than it was in the imp, but that may just be because I amp the stuff. It’s like Malediction has been mixed with some dragon’s blood, red musk, and a dash of cinnamon. As it dries, it becomes even headier and muskier thanks to the dragon’s blood and red musk trying to take the center stage.

Dry: The red musk and dragon’s blood are much stronger now, so that it’s a musky, heady, cherry-floral, and smoky vetiver scent on me with some patchouli that’s more noticeable than before and just a trace of cinnamon in the background. The red musk just keeps getting stronger, and I’m not surprised: it loves declaring dominion over all other notes on me.

Verdict: Bloodlust is not my jam, but if these notes are up your alley, give this a whirl.

Dragon's blood is not usually my jam, and red musk tends to take over, but the other notes tend to be good on me, and Bloodlust works surprisingly well on my skin. It reminds me of parts of both Blood Kiss (without the honey-vanilla thing) and Wrath. The red musk is kind of drowning out the DBR, and that's fine with me, but the patch and vetiver are keeping the red musk in check. I only get a tiny hint of cinnamon. This is a powerful scent, not for the faint of heart, not for the vetiver-avoidant. I like it.

I love this stuff SO. MUCH. One of my first full bottles and my 2nd favorite dragon's blood scent (beaten only by The Emperor's Rams)

This scent is warm and spicy and oh so smooooth - a thick blanket of red musk livened by sparking, sparkling cinnamon and DB, a hint of patchouli, and a shot of vetiver. Heady and sexy and intense.

I'd recommend not approaching this if you a) have super sensitive skin or b) are wary of vetiver. It's one of the dominant notes but it is balanced a bit by the others. The vetiver comes out more as it ages.

This is 1000% my jam and if you love dragon's blood you'll probably love this

Edited by monocainsheresy

In the imp: Dragon's blood and red musk. I can pick out a note that's either the patchouli or the vetiver, but it's not strong. In the imp, this is not too unlike Dragon's Heart to me. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's almost entirely dragon's blood and red musk. As it dries, the patchouli also makes its presence known though it stays subdued by the dragon's blood and red musk. Dragon's blood tends to be a little spicy on my skin, so I can't tell if I'm getting the cinnamon here as a separate note or if it's blending in with the DB.

This morphs fairly little on me. The dragon's blood and red musk simmer down a bit, letting the patchouli and cinnamon come out a little more strongly. Still, the balance of the blend is tipped toward the red musk and dragon's blood. Vetiver never does put in a distinct appearance, though it could easily be playing very nicely with the patchouli. 

The throw is on the stronger side of medium; the wear length is also quite long. I like this one quite a lot, though as a fairly heavy scent, I'll probably relegate it to colder weather wearing. 

In bottle: Smoky resin with a slight hint of sweetness.

Wet: Strong amber-y DB along with musk, with a tiny bit of spice from the cinnamon.

Dry: A sweet, almost fruity, musk and amber-ish DB, with a bit of a wood base from the vetiver. It’s almost too sweet for me, though it’s hanging just on the right side by being a complex well-mixed blend. Great lasting power too; it’s easily been 5+ hours and still noticeable. 

Several people have remarked that it smells "rough" or "angry", and I gotta disagree. I find this one quite...relaxed? It's warm and calm, like a bath. A lightly spicy patchouli bath.

Bloodlust began heavy, dragons blood incense and red musk broiling over a woodsy patchouli and spiked with vetiver and cinnamon. The fierce red blend slowly lessens in strength, melding into a warm sexy musk embrace of patchouli vetiver, sprinkled with cinnamon, until the last note standing is a grassy vetiver, haunted by musk.
Not too bad... 

update: tested again today, the dragon’s blood starts out super cherry-like today, and lingers fruitily with red musk, until patch shoves them both aside and ascends it throne, only to be assassinated in the end by reigning champion vetiver. 

Edited by artisjok

In the bottle and wet I get heavy, warm patchouli with little wisps of cinnamon and jasmine.

During the drydown the dragon's blood and vetiver come up strong and sharp. About 30 minutes after putting it on it sinks into a still warm and enveloping musky powdery patchouli. I'm didn't think I was really a fan of vetiver or of powdery scents, so I'm surprised to enjoy this one so much. I agree with spookyumbrella -- there is something soothing about it.

After 8 hours, all that's left on my arm is the slight scent of Barbasol shaving cream. It reminds me of Halloween, when kids used to run around and shaving cream each other. Odd, but I enjoy the nostalgia! :D

Edited by rhonorv

I cracked open an imp of this that's at least 5 years old today. Old imp label artwork and all. I remember this was a bit too strong for me when I first got into BPAL, but my tastes have changed.

In the imp: Wet, as strong and heavy as I remember, very red. Something cherry-wet about it. Red musk. Dragon's blood. Spice. Patchouli earthiness bolstering it. My initial impression is that I'm going to smell strongly of the notes competing for the spotlight all day. It's a little overwhelming.

Wet, on my skin: Still getting something syrupy wet cherry about it, but not unpleasant. Red musk and dragon's blood at the forefront. I like it at this stage. It's not as potent as it was in the imp.

Dry, after 4 hours: Well, this certainly died down. It's not nearly as strong as it was earlier, drying down to a mild, subtle, warm rush of sweet red musk and dragon's blood and something very lightly spiced playing in the background. Patchouli isn't what I smell immediately, but it's playing in the background, making itself known as sort of an incense, so it's there. Red musk is the star here. Luckily, I really like red musk, and I really like how this is sweet and not overpowering. Maybe it's the age, but it's a very smooth scent. Comforting. Sexy. Very glad it worked out; I do like all of these notes, so I'm glad they played nice together in this blend!!

Edited by artoria