Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

I got this one specifically for the boy and oh I am glad I did!

In the imp: Hot, smoky, dark and sexy.

Wet: Very spicy and smoky still. I am not good at picking out notes just yet, but the Dragon's Blood and Vetiver seem to be playing off of each other nicely.

Dry: Oh damn this is sexy :twisted: I have barred my guy from wearing this unless he is with me, lol. It makes me want to bite something. Oh my. I am contemplating trying this out on myself as well to see how it works on me. Currently waiting on a bottle of this, btw.

I get the blood, but there's a lot of dust in it. The dust fades and I get the blood with the touch of cinnamon.

In the bottle: Strong and old. Something smells a bit like medicine, or almond (vetiver?).

On my skin: I can't get the patchouli or the musk. I can tell there is a little bit of cinnamon, but the rest of the smell is the bottle smell. It smells old and bitter almonds. I'm guessing it is the vetiver.

Cooldown: After an hour or so the almond smell fades away and leaves a faint warm spicyness (patchouli and cinnamon, or something like that). It reminds me of umbra in this stage, but umbra was more pleasant from the start on me.

In bottle: Acrid dragon's blood! I like!

On skin: Dark, rich, and firey..

I want to EAT SOMETHING.

An interesting scent for sure, I just don't know if I could wear it every day.

*edit*

What was I smoking? I could definitely wear this every day, in the fall and winter months at least. It is such an interesting scent, definitely worth smelling even if the notes listed are not your thing. Truly genius.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

This is every bit as good as advertised. Blood, musk and vetiver plus other yummies. Hot and diabolical. Me likey. I think I'd like it equally well on a woman.

Have her doused in this and brought to my tent.

My only complaint is that it only lasted a couple of hours, then faded. I wish it had a longer wrist-life.

When I saw this I said to myself "now WHY haven't I noticed this one until NOW?!?"

Wet: oooh boy! There's something that smells like a dash of brimstone, but I think that's the dragon's blood and vetivert. Red musk and patchouli are definitely there. I love this scent because you definitely know what you're getting into by ordering it. There's no mistaking or unexpected morphing.

Drydown: red musk and a drop of vetivert amping dragon's blood with a silky cloud of patchouli. :wub2: Ordering this was a no brainer. The combination is perfect for me. I fear vetivert mostly, but here it just keeps a dreamy haze around it.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I know I tried Bloodlust years ago when I was first getting into BPAL and that I thought it was okay at the time (although I don't remember exactly what about it didn't quite work), but I can't imagine how I wouldn't have loved it, based on the notes. I think I was pretty "meh" about it because I wasn't a big musk fan at the time and was so-so about dragon's blood. But both of those are notes I love now (plus I love patchouli and I like cinnamon and vetiver), so I figured it was time for a second chance and I may as well just get a bottle because I never use my imps.

First sniff:

Hello, vetiver! My nose is apparently pretty sensitive to vetiver because it smells super strong in most anything it's in, no matter how much or how little is actually in the blend. Once I get past the smokiness of the vetiver, I smell dragon's blood, cinnamon and a particularly dark red musk. This is a no-nonsense blend. Not for the faint of heart or lovers of light scents. I can tell you that right now.

Wet on skin:

At first, Bloodlust is very heavy on the vetiver, but the cinnamon comes rushing out almost immediately (which is unusual since I don't typically amp cinnamon) and I'm left with a sort of charred cinnamon sticks scent. I'm sure that doesn't sound good, but it's actually strangely appealing. I already love Umbra which also has cinnamon and vetiver, so I'm not really surprised that I like this.

Dry down:

Bloodlust goes through several stages on the drydown. At first, it's OMGCINNAMON with a touch of vetiver and dragon's blood. Then it's a spicy, cinnamony dragon's blood scent with hints of musk and vetiver in the background. And then comes my favorite part. On the late drydown, it turns into a gorgeous patchouli scent with just a touch of spicy sweetness from the cinnamon and dragon's blood.

For a while I couldn't figure out why I was smelling patchouli, since I'm wearing Elf as my main scent today and it doesn't have any patchouli at all and, as far as I knew, the patchouli in Bloodlust wasn't putting in an appearance at all. Then I happened to sniff the spot where I put my tester dab of Bloodlust and there it was. Patchouli heaven. :thud:

The bottom line:

I'm so glad I gave Bloodlust another try (and that I went for a bottle rather than an imp). I love this. I'm a huge fan of resin blends and patchouli and I like the cinnamon and vetiver, so every stage of this morpher is appealing to me. :D

Testing an imp of unknown vintage - judging by the label, it's an older one.

Wet: Everything is drowned out by patchouli. I can't smell anything but that, and it is dusty and ashy and far too much.

Dry: The patchouli quiets down so I can actually smell the rest of the blend - either that, or it's burnt out my nostrils. The dragon's blood, cinnamon and musk make spicy, smokey, semisweet love together.

There's only the tiniest amount left in the bottle, and although I'll finish it, I probably wouldn't order it again. The wet stage for me is pretty unpleasant, and I'm not sure if the dry is good enough to go through that.

Edited by Lanolin

Dragon's blood and cinnamon are both death notes on my skin, and vetiver is also a death note about 75% of the time, so I just smelled this in the imp. I can DEFINITELY smell dragon's blood and vetiver, which just turned my stomach a bit. This is not going on my skin.

Looking at the notes, this almost scares me more than it excites me. I have no good experiences with dragon's blood, vetiver frightens me a little, and red musk haven't done anything for me yet. I love patchouli, though, and have no issues whatsoever with cinnamon. I'm hoping that Bloodlust will turn into something more than just the sum of its notes.

Wet: Sweet, floral dragon's blood and harsh vetiver. Scaaaaryyyyy.

Drying: Dragon's blood and cinnamon.

Dry: Slightly spicy, musty dragon's blood.

It's sort of hot and, ah, bloodlusty in the beginning, but as soon as it starts to dry, this turn into a soft, sweet fruity floral-type of scent on me, with only a hint or two of some darker things lurking underneath the dragon's blood. Not scary, not dark, not dangerous. Not working.

Edited by tallan

imp: all I smell is warm red musk

wet: red musk whammy with what my nose picks out as leather, but must be dragon's blood (it almost picks it out like a VERY subdued leather that's in the red rider if that makes any sense) with a hint of cinnamon.

Now, please note at this point: I amp cinnamon like nobody's business. Satyr and Sin smell exactly the same on me, like red hot cinnamon hearts. In Bloodlust, however.. there must be only a TINY amount of cinnamon because it actually *does* *not* overpower the scent.

dry: dragon's blood, cinnamon and red musk, all in pretty equal amounts. This is nice, fiery and on the masculine side of the spectrum.

Like the first reviewer said, this is totally an empowering blend. I would put it right up there beside Queen in the strong-powerful vibe, but in Bloodlust, it's well.. BLOOD thirsty.. you are going out and you're CONQUERING the world whether the world likes it or not, it's YOURS. Rawr.

Got this one as a frimp, and resolved myself to try it in spite of the fact that the last perfume with vetiver that I tried (Highwayman) was just a bit too harsh for my tastes. I wanted to make sure it was the vetiver that off-put me, and I'm beginning to think it's indeed a scent that just won't work for me.

In the imp, I got a whiff of something acrid, like smoke. I couldn't really make out anything like musk--which I love--or anything else I could distinctly identify. Once it's on my skin, I end up with something that smells like blood and fresh-turned soil, with this acrid scent of smoke lingering over it. I can only assume the smoke smell, which is almost identical to a sharp, acrid scent I get from Highwayman, is from the vetiver. It's the only similarity I can get from them, and it tends to overwhelm the other scents in the blend with its sharpness. If all I could smell was the blood and soil scent of it, I'd be happy and would probably be quite happy to wear it. It does soften a little when it dries down, so there's not quite as much of an abrasive edge to the scent, but I don't think I'll ever really quite care for this one as a common scent in my repertoire.

I will straight up admit that I am kind of trying this as a joke. Musk smells absolutely terrible on me and dragon's blood puts a friend in mind of bathroom cleaner, and I don't really like cinnamon, so this review is kind of just my way of saying "BRING IT ON."

In the imp: Smoky dragon's blood. I can't smell the red musk, but I couldn't smell it in Snake Oil either before it demolished me.

On me, wet: Yep, dragon's blood. I actually really like the patchouli in this! There's something making it sort of smoky-angry and I'm not sure what that is. I guess it's the vetiver, but I can't be sure since I haven't tried enough vetiver blends to pick it out. It's already starting to do the candied-red-hots thing that dragon's blood does, and the cinnamon note isn't helping that. I think it's a good blend, but dragon's blood is just not my friend. I can't believe this, but the red musk actually doesn't appear to be messing with anything. Go figure!

On me, dry: What the...it's...not bad? The musk isn't yelling everything else down and instead is just backing up the rest of the blend, which is a kind of warm spicy subtle lovely dragon's blood scent, so I guess the dragon's blood has calmed down too? It's like the musk and the dragon's blood beat the crap out of each other on my skin and are now peacefully taking a time out, so the other notes can actually be smelled. There's something in it that smells strangely of fried chicken, like in 93 Engine, but other than that...it's not really the kind of thing I'd wear, but it's unexpectedly nice!

In the bottle: Definitely heavy on the patchouli and dragon’s blood, with a kick of vetiver. Slight musk underneath. No sign of the cinnamon. A bit sweet, as well. Slightly sinister.

Wet: Still sweet, but not sugary. Serious incense shop smell. Patchouli and dragon’s blood, musk is stronger. Still no sign of cinnamon. Is getting sweeter.

Dry: It’s gone very light and sweet on me. I smell like my sons’ clothing after they’ve been out smoking with friends, and I don’t mean tobacco! There’s a hint of… a swear it’s maraschino cherries. I can’t pick up any of the patchouli or dragon’s blood anymore. The musk has long gone as well and all that’s left is the light spicy cherry smell. Trade pile.

BLOODLUST

In Vitro Cinnamon, but a "deep" cinnamon rather than sharp.

Wet Freshly applied this smelled like sweet spice but not specifically or exclusively cinnamon. After two minutes I also detected a camphor-ish smell and the spice was very mellow. Two minutes later I thought I smelled clove, but it soon went away.

Drying The scent continued to blend and mellow to a sweet camphor/spice. Less than an hour after application, all I could smell was a vague and

utterly non-exotic sweetness that persisted faintly for about two hours.

No blood and no lust. This one gets put away to age.

Edited by hexnut

Blood Lust

In the Imp: Medicine and it's strong.

Wet: For the first few minutes I get a heavy smell of turpentine/paint thinner. Thankfully, this disappears.

A few minutes later and I'm getting the Dragon's blood and the vetiver coming through strongly. This is potent.

About 15 minutes in I can smell the red musk and patchouli.

A half hour in I can also smell the cinnamon mixing with the patchouli above the Dragon's Blood.

I love this combination of Dragon's Blood, Patchouli and cinnamon. The vetiver adds an almost metallic smell over the spicy notes.

It ends with powdery patchouli, whiffs of the red musk and a hint of cinnamon.

This one is a win.

I opened the imp with high hopes, but was immediately put off by how overwhelmingly floral it was. It's not at all what I'd have expected from the description of the list of notes. (Is it the dragon's blood that's so floral?) Anyway, it had me immediately washing my hands to get the traces of the scent off my fingers. Not for me, although people less floral-phobic than me might like it.

I'm not going to do one of my typical, fully detailed reviews for this one because I have one word:

Barbecue! I smell like a bloody barbecue. I have NO IDEA what would cause this imp to do that; in the vial, it smells absolutely gorgeous, dark and spicy and certainly pumping full of dragon's blood. I'm going to assume it's the musk, because I just discovered that vetiver and I oddly get along. I wasn't expecting that---it smells so dark, dirty, and musty!!---but it does AMAZING things on my skin, so I can't blame that. Dragon's blood usually isn't a problem for me either, and hell, even patchouli is one of my LOVE!!!! notes. :bunnyluv:

I think I'm going to have to chalk this up to the musk, dragon's blood, patchouli and vetiver *together*. The dragon's blood, patchouli and vetiver stood a slight chance, but it was still a chance! The musk just does something really, really funky on my skin. Again, it smells exactly like barbecue sauce with maybe a dash of metallic blood for good measure. It's like all of these notes got together in the middle of a work picnic day and started brawling, giving themselves (and many others) bloody noses and broken limbs. Someone clearly hit the grill while Bob the Grill Man was working on flipping the bbq-chicken. It's all just a giant mess!

Usually I only have problems with white florals and rose amping to the point it blows fuses; this is something I'll have to be wary of. I'm going to try it again during the month to see if my personal chemistry has anything to do with it; maybe it just smells horrible on me when I'm sick.

Goodness, a girl can hope, right??? Otherwise, it's undoubtedly to the swap pile with this. Such a disappointment.

Update: Good gods. This is definitely going to the swap pile; when I opened the bottle to take a whiff, the only thing this reminded me of was mesquite. I can't imagine what happened to the dragon's blood I used to be able to detect before, but it still smells like metallic bbq sauce on me. This has to be one of the downright weirdest morphs I've ever experienced with a perfume; damn near every note was a winner for me, but together it just turns foul and gives me a headache (RARELY ever happens, even with scents I hate!). Oh well, my loss, someone else's gain.

Edited by White_rabbit334

Kind of shocked I never tried this or at least never reviewed it ... it's possible that during my early BPAL-ordering days I'd yet to discover the joy of Dragon's Blood. But a more recent review of GC scents landed this on my wish list and the lovely and generous Joyfulgirl gifted me with an imp of it in an order so here I am, way overdue to add the singing of its praises.

IN THE IMP: Patchouli sneaks out first with its sharpness, followed by the red of Dragon's Blood and musk. It's not floral in the imp but rather hot and angry and slightly feral, for lack of a better word.

Applied to wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: As is its tendency, the dragon's blood JUMPS out first, floral and hot and red with a slight burn possibly from the cinnamon, though my skin has toughened up over the years and it's just a tiny sting. Those are the two notes that amp first but the patchouli and the musk join in quickly, giving the scent a strength, a depth, even an anger.

DRYDOWN: Odd how this blend is more evocative of emotions than images. As it dries, there is something slightly metallic to it, rather than the usual slightly floral vibe I get from DB. It's not comforting, like DB and musk and cinnamon tend to be, but very grounding. It's a hot outdoors scent and yet also an indoor smell. I am not making sense here but just blame it on the Bloodlust.

OVERALL: This is a very, very powerful scent. A great scent but one I feel needs to be used with care. Maybe it's just me before my second cup of coffee, but I feel like this could be a TAL even more than a BPAL.

On a scale of 1-5, I give it a 4.6 because I'm a little scared of it. But it is absolutely a keeper. Now just use your power for good, little Bloodlust.

I got this as a frimp years ago, and never tried it; My first forays with patchouli were unimpressive and vetiver, suffocating.

But I accidentally ordered Rumpelstilzchen before noticing the vetiver listed and was taken aback in the best way. So THAT'S why it's used!

With that, I was willing to try Bloodlust. It's almost disappointing now, but I can't smell the vetiver on my skin at all. It's more similar to Snake Oil, which on me is all incense, none the vanilla. I'm not sure exactly what they have in common -- red musk, patchouli, dragon's blood maybe -- but whatever they share is what I get. But it's got a dash of brightness, and none of the thickness that made Snake Oil uncomfortable to wear. At first there was a good dose of cinnamon too, but that faded quickly. That didn't stop me from getting a burning sensation where I applied from the cinnamon, lasting a few minutes longer than the scent of it. It's been replaced by another spice, though one I can't name.

I'm glad I gave it a shot. This is something I'll wear again.

Stash's suggestion to try today :)

In the imp: I'm actually not entirely sure what dragon's blood smells like, but I'm smelling the cinnamon and, I think a bit of patchouli in there. Not too sure about the Verviers, as that's another note I'm not too familiar with.

Wet on skin: a little incensed, with one of the notes I can't really identify, though I'd guess the dragon's blood or red musk. Or both.

Dried down: this is really soft, but not a light scent. The incense-y note is still the only one I can pick out properly, but it's not the only one I can smell.

Throw: very light - I don't think I would want this scent to be too heavy on me, so this works for me.

Verdict: *** 1/*, I think. I like it a lot, but I wish the cinnamon would stay around a bit more on my skin. I may try it as a room scent, also, and see if I can convince my fiancé to try it. If it works better in either of those respects, I may bump up my rating.

Lab frimp!

Imp: So clearly my initial reaction to vetiver is Blegh! Stinky! But moving on...

Wet: The vetiver calms down almost the moment it touches my skin, giving way to a mentholated sweet flower scent. I've not tried Dragon's Blood by itself yet, so it might be that.

Dry: Sweet patchouli at the front, with light musty florals behind, with a touch of spicy cinnamon and smoke.

Overall it has a cool, refreshing thing going on, and is very incense-y. It's actually quite lovely. Doesn't have much of a throw, nor does it appear to last long, but this frimp will be used quickly in this hot weather since it is so cool and calming on me.

Got this as a frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Hello Dragon's Blood! But there is something else lurking the the background ... hummm, what could that be? Is that vetiver?

Wet on skin: Dragons Blood, with a wetness underneath. The Indonesian Patchouli is coming to the front, and the vetiver is lending a nice grounding smokiness to this blend.

Dry on skin: Dragon's Blood, with a hint of spiciness (cinnamon), wrapped up in a smoky, musky background.

I like Dragon's Blood, and tend to amp it, but this blend is just a little too masculine on my skin. I think this would smell great on my hubby - if I could only get him to wear it - :lol:

In the imp, it's alll dragon's blood resin. Incensey and kind of fruity and wonderful. On me, the vetiver is more prominent, smoky and dry, with a touch of DBR wafting around like the greatest incense ever and then... there's patchouli! Pre-BPAL, I hated patchouli. Absolutely hated it. I think it was just the typical cheap headshoppy patch that was all I ever smelled in well, headshops. But the lab's patch is oh so heavenly and smooth and rich and has turned me into a patchouli-loving crazy. What was I talking about? Oh right. I start getting a dark cherry note, likely from the DBR as that always has a fruity component to my nose. On drydown, it smells like evil, poisoned red cherries! Fabulous. And then, red musk. Oh red musk. You know I love you but why must you growl and hiss and scare away the other notes? I get enough evil cherry to like this, but not love.