Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tess

Butch yet not manly scents?

I'd consider these unisex, with traditionally masculine ingredients, but I am pretty girly and love them:

Yggdrasil. Hellfire. Sin. Thanatopsis. Golden Priapus. Mad Hatter. Wilde.

Hope that helps. =)

My new number one pick for a butch, yet not manly, scent is Dead Man's Hand. Oh, Dead Man's Hand, how I love thee...hell, I'm a chick and when I wear it, I want to do myself! It's butch but not manly, a la Xena, or maybe Gabrielle during her kick-ass short haired days. I'm getting some Bed of Nails to layer it with, in hopes of achieving that true sweaty Warrior Princess smell: leather armor, sword and chakram. Hiiiii-yi-yi-yi-yi!

Just had to seek out this thread and add my newest discovery: Blood!

I tried it for the first time today, and the reaction it got from my (female) partner was really something. When she sniffed my wrist, her eyes went really wide and she said "Oh, YUM!" and took several more deep sniffs. And ever since (that was about an hour ago), she's been creeping up behind me and sniffing my neck or arms, nuzzling and/or biting me, and dropping comments like "Damn, you smell good!" I don't think I've seen her react that way to any scent I've worn, ever.

So for me, at least, Blood is now the offical BPAL scent for the girl-loving girl! :P I'm pretty femme (albeit not the stereotypical Barbie doll type of femme), but I could definitely see it working equally well on a butch. It smells, strong, sexy, powerful, and a little bit dangerous.

But I'd also enthusiastically second the earlier recommendations of Sin and Fenris Wolf. Both are sexy in a fairly androgynous, gender-bending way. You might want to give Coyote and Serpent's Kiss a try, too.

I'd like to add a vote Dracul's way and add Blood Kiss to the mix. It's very potent and I get a bunch of throw from it. It's femme, but there is a masculine edge to it. It is a very "red" scent, but it's a smokey red. Think "Poppies...poppies...." from the Wizard of Oz".

My new number one pick for a butch, yet not manly, scent is Dead Man's Hand.  Oh, Dead Man's Hand, how I love thee...hell, I'm a chick and when I wear it, I want to do myself!  It's butch but not manly, a la Xena, or maybe Gabrielle during her kick-ass short haired days.  I'm getting some Bed of Nails to layer it with, in hopes of achieving that true sweaty Warrior Princess smell: leather armor, sword and chakram.  Hiiiii-yi-yi-yi-yi!

Oh, baby, gonna have to try this one - Girlfriend is a total Xena-phile! So far I haven't gotten much reaction out of her from any particular scent, but now my curiousity is piqued - I'm on a mission. :P

I haven't tried too many scents yet, but my favourites which are also quite "gender-neutral" are Dorian and Dublin. Dorian is such a lovely warm, sweet secound-skin scent yet not a cloying, clearly "feminine" vanilla. It has the slightest touch of citrus and tea to freshen it up and the musk and vanilla make it sexy and yummy.

Dublin has butch pine but is otherwise very sweet and warm on me an hence not too "manly". It's sexy in an outdoorsy kind of way, for rowing your woman across a lake wearing a woolen sweater or for bringing that kind of impression with you to the clubs and bars...

Today I'm wearing Bayou and I have constantly a honey-yet-not-quite-honey sweetness in my nose which I find very attractive and warm and sexy. I guess it's on the femme side though since it's a floral.

Also, Scarecrow worked on my girlfriend. I guess ripe fields are quite unisex, neither floral nor woody.

I keep thinking that I should pick up some Dead Man's Hand, but I never see any available. Poo, poo, poo... Dublin, though, on yes. I want to eat myself up when I wear it, although it smells like a slightly greener Oisin to my nose. (I'm highly sexy in that, too.) Snake Oil was a biiiiiiiig hit with my lady friend the other night... and a lord friend, too. :P Anything that makes a little three time action doable is a winner in my book. *makes an order for a dozen 10ml bottles of Snake Oil*

Well, this may not be useful, but I think Saturn would work wonderfully. It makes me feel a bit more butch (not to mention toppy) when I put it on. :P It smells powerful, resin-sandalwood, just ever so slightly masculine. Though I would suggest you get some that's aged. (OR try aging some) Aged is more resin, less sharp. I know I'd crawl all over either a guy or strong woman wearing it. (It'dbe out of place on a weaker woman, y'know?)

OTOH, I threatened to eat a friend of mine after she tried on dragon's milk. OMG good!! Though I think I was reacting to her as more femme, not butch. :D (I can go either way on the butch/femme spectrum, just not too far from the middle.)

This is discontinued, but I think it might be available at the Black Broom and I have hopes that it'll be available again on the upcoming TAL site.

while i was wearing tezcatlipoca today i thought. . . "mmmmmm. . . the girls would love this! - i need to find the 'picking up the girls' thread!" :P

it is strong, but warm. very, very sexy.

I know they've both been mentioned before, but Wanda and Dorian are the two I wear when I want to feel sexy. Dorian especially, it makes me want to have sex with myself.

I'm all for Morocco & Dorian. Morocco was given to me by a forumite with wishes of dreaming of kohl-lined eyes and a hot body to warm the sheets. I can comfortably say that although I'm in a committed relationship with the Boy, I'm bi and can say that the idea of a scent like this wafting off a woman makes my mouth water.

*ahem* I should... go..

The smell of Urd drives me wild.

I used to date a girl who wore a similar smelling patchouli scent and I couldn't keep my hands off of her.

I'm starting to think I might actually be a dude. Geek and Saint-Germain rock my goddamn world. (And yet Tombstone was too masculine for me. Go figure =P.)

Anyway, Saint-Germain. SAINT-GERMAIN. This stuff is SEXY. It's clean-understated-elegant-expensive-intellectual sexy. I fully intend to wear it myself, but I'd jump someone else wearing it (I'm straight so I'd prefer it on a guy, but it's definitely gender-neutral enough to swing both ways).

I think Lust is a good one.. red musk seems to be a favorite of both sexes, and Lust has it in spades.

It's a very rich and need I say.. lusty scent. I do believe I would ravage a member of either sex were they wearing Lust. Mmhmm.

I'm voting for Dracul too, because it is dead sexy on any sex. It's spicey, alluring, and far from "manly" but still carries a masculine strength if that makes sense :P

I think this thread deserves a revival so Luperci can be added to the list. It's got a bunch of men's-fragrance components (juniper, oakmoss, a wood note) and a warm earthy patchouli-sweetness that keeps it from getting too rugged. All-around sexy, not so butch that a woman can't pull it off, but definitely androgynous. And it's very close to the skin in a "yes, lean closer and sniff me" kind of way. :P

Also, I second what everyone else has said about Dracul. Ditto Saint-Germain.

Fenris Wolf makes me want to "pick myself up". :D

I am another who tends to drift towards more masculine or gender neutral bpal blends. Blends with red sandalwood should be of note as well. Red sandalwood = sex. Also, wood notes in general are something I equate this with. :P

Here's my favorites:

Scents that come off as kind of powerful/dominant (but still female) sexy:

Bloodlust and the aforementioned Fenris Wolf

Scents that are what I would consider a very sexy kind of androgynous:

Thanatos

The Cracked Bell (Okay, I have a very strange fascination with this blend, I find it so cleverly complex. There is this metallic tang to it that I could spend countless hours trying to figure out. Words cannot describe. This, to me, is the ultimate androgynously sexy scent :D :D )

Court

Bring on the Tombstone, I say. Warm, resinous, woody, it's perfect. I feel very in tune with my inner cowboy while wearing it--kinda makes me want to put some spurs on and rope up a filly!

Loviatar's good too, but it's more an assless chaps sort of thing.

Blood Rose. Sexy no matter who wears it.

Whip. Leather and roses, what more could you ask for?

Thunderbird. Discontinued, but it's liquid gold.

~Diamond~