Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gloriously innocent and guileless: pure buttered popcorn!

Smells like delicious salty buttered popcorn. Spot on.

How unutterably vile a perfume! LOL!!! I really have to love the whole idea of being so bold as to make a buttered popcorn perfume! I hate it though. :P Edited by Shollin

The scent is exactly what the description claims. Butter and popcorn. Exactly. Like I've dipped myself in the oil at the bottom of a popcorn vat, except better. No, really. I can't stop marveling at it, because it's butter on top, but a hint of burnt corn underneath, and a bit of sweetness. Like kettle corn. How? How can this be?

The butter fades a little eventually, and it gets a little sweeter, but not much. Still exactly like popcorn, though it doesn't last very long on my skin.

This isn't a scent I'd wear, but I'm glad I tried it out. My mind continues to boggle.

To me It smells a lot like Velvet, thus pencilshavings, not in a bad way but not the popcorn I was expecting. I will try layering(for the first time) with some sweet scent to make a balance:-)

I suppose the misconception I made with this was to expect it to smell like SWEET caramel popcorn, how i am used to eat it. Instead It smels of salty popcorn

when i was buying a bag of micowave popcorn, (salty) then it occured to me :P

To echo everyone else, yes, this smells dead on like buttered popcorn in the bottle.

Putting it on, it's mostly a rich, creamy butter smell with a hint of salty popcorn under. Butter is really the main component. It also blossoms into a wonderful, buttery-caramel note, which reminded me greatly of Gluttony.

This was actually very suprising. I didn't expect to like it at all. It did change enough from the bottle smell to skin smell (though it is subtle) for me to like wearing it.

This didn't seem to last very long on me, but that may have been because it was a "roll out of bed, throw on clothes, apply BPAL" day. I'll have to give it another go on freshly washed skin to see if it lasts longer.

Bottle: Pure hot buttered popcorn. Totally yummy.

Just On: The butter fades some, but it's still popcorn.

An hour or two later: Popcorn, popcorn, popcorn. I like it.

Around 6 hours: It's still pretty similar, just plain popcorn, nice buttery popcorn.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone, except for the faintest whiff of butteryness.

Overall: I love this, it's like the smell of fresh popped popcorn, with the butter drizzled over it.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get the sweetness, and the butter didn't seem so overpowering to me. I wish I could have gotten more than a couple imps' worth.

I really love the smell of buttered popcorn and so does my little boy.. so I snagged an imp of Shill in a trade for us to try. Butter is NOT my friend. I learned it with Jack and should have known better with Shill.. it smells like rancid butter on my skin. :: shivers:: yuck.

To me, it smells very very buttery, much like the butterness in Jack.

On me, it is buttered popcorn on the skin, but still more butter than corn and there's a slight sweetness to it.

I was nervous about trying this, as I just discovered I'm allergic to corn, but this is nice. A nice buttery scent

Buttered popcorn, for sure, but I'm not getting salty. This is sweet buttered popcorn on me, maybe buttered kettle corn. Quite yummy. However, after two hours, it smells like warm plastic and then fades away. The first two hours are quite nice and made me want to lick myself, though.

Dude. It smells exactly like salty buttered popcorn. (How does she do this? It's magic! Made me hungry, too.)

I really don't want to smell like I crawled in the popper at the local theater.

Off to swap.

Edited by harmonyfb

this smells like the popcorn you get at the movies. i thought it would be more of a true “butter” scent. but it really smells like coconut oil or whatever that fake, bright orange, butter-scented stuff is that they squirt onto your popcorn at the theater. it’s not a strong distinction, but it’s there, and i think it’s funny. this will be nice to mix with other scents to make them more buttery. yum.

First sniff: Hot damn, that’s popcorn. Buttery, salty popcorn. My mom swears up and down that Spooky smells like popcorn to her... I should let her sniff this one.

Wearing: Popcorn, yes indeedy-oh. It’s amazingly true… but I don’t think I’ll ever really need to smell like popcorn.

at first: wow! buttered popcorn with a hint of sweetness.

on: wow. lots of butter! totally like hot, buttered, salted popcorn.

1.5 hours later: the butter isn't as strong, but there's still that popcorn smell. odd, but nice.

2 hours later: very faint. slightly sweet, but still popcorn-y.

overall: this was quite a pleasant surprise. i only have a little bit in an imp, but i'll be keeping it.

I mostly get butter from this, a little sweetness, and also a kind of artificial smell I can't really classify. As lots of reviewers said before it's the kind of popcorn you get at the movies. All in all very nice and light, but nothing I'd wear as a perfume, since the buttery note is a bit too outstanding and turning slightly sour on me.

Yeppers, this could get a two word review: buttered popcorn. Heavy on the butter, for sure. Hint of sweetness, yes. Makes me want popcorn. Don't really wanna smell like it. I think this may be a wonderful bath oil though. Or to mix with others, for fun. (Bliss?) I'm floored by the spot-on scent though. Perfect. The bottle ought to rattle with unpopped kernels.

Anyway, for actual practical wearability, probably a 2. For perfect evocation of description, 5. And which of us BPAL nutters is that practical about stinkies? Not me, that's for sure. Fun to own, essentially. (Now where in heck did I put it...?)

shill.jpg

Imp: Buttered popcorn. But sweet, like buttery kettle corn, maybe? Hubby says butterscotch.

Wet: This makes me hungry! Perfect sweet buttery popcorn. Or….buttered popcorn jelly bellies!

Dry: This gets less sweet, and more purely butter. Now its actually smelling SALTY! It goes from sweet kettle corn to pure, unadulterated buttery salty popcorn.

Overall: This is a really cool scent to smell, but I know I wouldn't wear it. For the CN foodies, I prefer (okay, drool over) midway. SO I'll be sticking with that one for this round! Lasts for about two hours, accompanied by severe popcorn cravings.

Edited by jewelbug

In the bottle: Coconutty, sweet creamy butter

Wet: It gets slightly dry and thin and papery, like pop corn, but still with a creamy background. Butter popcorn, wow!!

Drydown: As it dries, a slightly salty taste emerges along with the rich buttery goodness, and yes, it still smells like popcorn - but not only popcorn. There's still this creamy coconut scent in the background, yum! And there's a very slight chocolatey note to it, as well.

Overall: I thought that this was going to be disgusting, but it's quite the contrary, it's white and creamy and very light, and reminds me of a sort of vanilla mousse confectionry. It's perfect to layer with other blends to make them richer, or to wear if you want a light, foody and creamy scent. Wow.

(Original '05 version) One of those scents I could never see myself wearing, but as I also said that about Graveyard Dirt at first and completely changed my mind after trying, I'll try not to prejudge.

In the vial - I'm mostly getting the toppings and only faintly the popcorn itself.

Wet - There's the corn. Geez, this isn't just popcorn, it's MOVIE popcorn.

Drying - Holy GODS, does this stuff throw. On me? Throw? :P I think I'm in shock. It's staying true to the buttery movie popcorn scent, with the salt fading quite a bit.

Dry (20 minutes) - This is fading pretty darned fast and as it does, it's losing its buttery flavor. Bah.

Overall - Darned interesting scent, but not something I'd want to wear, even if it did last longer.

In the vial: Holy butter note batman, bowls you over and is almost sickening. I am not smelling the popcorn at all, just sheer butter.

On the skin wet: The same overwhelming butter note but the popcorn pops out rather quickly and starts to blend with that butter.

Dry (after 20 minutes) Now this is what I am talkin about. The butter note mellows out tremendously and it smells EXACTLY like fresh popped popcorn, like the kind you get at a carnival or movie theater. Its a lot mellower now and is a comforting scent to me.

I LIKE this once it has chilled out! Yay! I am keeping this for the mere novelty, I probably wont wear it that often because its making me hungry haha

Popcorn is my favorite food. Especially movie theater popcorn DRENCHED in butter.

Shill definitely did not disappoint. I put it on and had to force myself to not lick my arm. As others have stated, this isn't a very perfumey scent and it's not something that I would wear out in public because smelling like butter is not all that appealing to most but this scent really, really comforts me. So I'm going to wear it in my own home when I need some comfort or maybe put some in the oil burner. :P I love it.

Shill - This is not the scent of buttered popcorn, like I expected it to be. It's the scent of buttered popcorn-scented scratch-n-sniff stickers like I collected when I was a kid. It's very buttery, but it doesn't smell real. It has a highly synthetic quality about it. I definitely wouldn't wear this as perfume and I can't imagine any other use for it -- I wouldn't want my home to smell like it, so the oil burner's out. I haven't read the reviews yet, so I'm really curious what other reviewers think of this one.

Hmm... This doesn't really smell like buttered popcorn to me.

It smells like melted butter. Warm, but not salty. Like the butter note in Jack isolated.

Not what I expected from this one... Not terrible, but different.

On my skin, however, this takes a very strange rancid turn- like I actually have butter on my arm. Weird.

Wow. I didn't smell popcorn at all. To me Shill was cold cocoa. Kind of like Monsterbait Underpants but missing one of the ingredients.

Shill has two moods on me:

1. Sweet, salty, melty, buttered popcorn. Fabulous!!! Amazingly true. How did Beth capture this? It’s SO. freaking. GOOD!!! Tongue tingly mouth watering…hand to nose de-freaking-licious!

2. Strong, bitter butter. As it dries down, a bit of slightly burnt caramel popcorn, and then... almost woody!

Interesting. I don’t really want to smell like popcorn, but it is so wonderful to have a decant of this, as it really is the closest thing I've smelt to popcorn, in either mood, and I especially like it when my nose takes me No. 1.

Shill

Shill does smell like popcorn, but only a little. It smells more like butter, or should I say butter-flavour? I don't even like the butter powder they put on popcorn in movie theaters, I prefer my popcorn with just salt, freshly made (not in the microwave, on the stove). My sister said it smelled like a coconut dessert, not popcorn. Well, I can see that, it is sweet and buttery like that.