Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gloriously innocent and guileless: pure buttered popcorn!

Upcoming - going to be released on Weds as part of the Carnaval Noir series. The NYC Tea Party got a sneak preview in the form of a bottle passed around when Beth was there.

Pure. Buttered. Popcorn. Some people said they got a caramel whiff from it as well, but I got nothing but buttery popcorn. Delicious, and the tiniest bit sickening. Very foody. I liked it, but I can't see myself wearing it as a perfume.

I agree--VERY buttery, and somewhat popcorny. I only got to sniff the bottle, so I'm not sure if this would be different on the skin, but...yeah...it's just way too savory for me; I could never wear this as a perfume.

Do not buy Shill. I want it ALL FOR ME!!!!!!

Ladies & Gents, I have major plans for this blend! The notes are very straightforward: popcorn.....butter. Land O Lakes butter, I think Brian & Belladonnastrap said. That's what I smelled at the Tea Party. No one actually tried some on their skin; it was Beth's own bottle after all.

A few of the many uses of Shill:

Need to add a buttery note to your favorite body lotion? Add a little Shill.

Want to "bump up" the gourmande factor in that bottle you were just a tiny bit dissappointed in? Add a little Shill.

Selling your house or condo? Use Shill as a room spray or use in an oil burner.

Having a children's birthday party? Use Shill in melt and pour soaps for unique party favors.

However......

Since I'm married to a fellow who loves popcorn with butter, I'm going to add a little "salt" & have fun!

:P

I bought this for my sweetie, but decided to give it a shot before I sent it to her. Wow. If you like popcorn, youre going to love this. Its rich, buttery, sweet popcorn. And it lasts quite a while.

:P *drooooooool* shill smells SO wonderful! yummy buttery popcorn goodness! i do get a hint of something sweet like caramel.... num num.

this also gets a thumbs-up from my son :D

shill.jpg

Just exactly like hot buttered popcorn, yes! Captured perfectly in Shill.

I really think that Shill is more than a mere novelty scent, it's exploring things that are the central core of our "nummyness". Shill doesn't stick around long on my skin and I haven't tried it out in a scent locket yet, but it certainly does fire off the happiness receptors in my brain.

Wallow in it, remember there are 0 calories in Shill, and 100% of the olfactory pleasure.

Edited by olympia301

I really don't have anything more to add. It is a true buttered popcorn scent. It's actually quite astonishing how accurate it is.

It makes me hungry. :P

This is one of those :P scents, where you sniff your wrist over, and over, and over, and think, "How? How did Beth DO THIS?"

It's a wee bit mind-blowing. Buttered popcorn, yes, but I can even smell the salt. And there's a hint, just a hint of sweetness there too.

And now I'm really going nuts, because I didn't think I would possibly be interested in owning a bottle of this, and now I'm actually contemplating it. There's something very beguiling about Shill.

It is insane what Beth can bottle, and I never thought in a million years I'd be smelling buttery, salty popcorn out of a vial. She got the scent dead on!!! I don't think I'd ever wear it, but I love sniffing my imp from time to time - only it makes me want popcorn!!! :P

Shill

In the imp: oh my word. BUTTER. And popcorn. But mainly butter. I'm worried now.

Wet on skin: salty butter! It smells too savoury and foody as perfume-I love salty melted butter on my food, but not as a fragrance!

Dry on skin: oh dear, the salted butter note is amped up to the max on me. I was hoping for popcorn, but I can't really smell it under all the butter.

After a while: the popcorn starts to come through, but I'm afraid it's still too buttery for me.

Verdict: I'm afraid to say this is way too salty and buttery for me. I was hoping for a more popcorn-like scent, but the salted butter just overtakes the scent. Now, I love butter as food, but not as perfume or room fragrance. But I am impressed at the way this perfume smells so real. Like I've spilt salted butter on my arm! I do eventually smell the popcorn, but I would have preferred a perfume scented with sweet, toffee-flavoured popcorn than salty buttered popcorn. Oh well, off to swaps.

In the bottle

popcorn

On

Buttered popcorn Mmmm.

30 minutes

This doesn't morph in any way shape or form, it stays a real buttered (and salted) popcorn scent.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

Not too strong, not too weak, and a true buttered and salted popcorn scent. How fun.

Purchase again?

No, I wouldn't wear it as a regular scent but it's fun to wear it on weekends or to just sniff it now and again because it's so real smelling.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

4 (mostly because it's so true to description)

There isn't much to say about Shill that hasn't already been said. It's buttered popcorn, precisely - not real butter, the kind on movie theater popcorn. It's amazing how close it is to the real thing!

That said, I had high hopes for Shill. I even bought a whole bottle from a lovely forum member, I was so sure I'd like it. But it turns out that actually wearing it doesn't really work out for me! On my skin, it smells mostly like butter (not so much popcorn), which might be okay layered with other things. But my skin chemistry apparently isn't a big fan of it, because as it dries down it becomes very strange...almost chlorinated-smelling!

I'm going to give this a try layered with other things, to see if that helps with the chemistry madness. If not though, I fear Shill will need a new home. :-/

I tried Shill for the first time today, as someone was kind enough to decant me an imp from their bottle to hold me over until the lab order I placed last month arrives.

It's not going to last long enough. :P

This scent is, to me, the ultimate delicious foody happy scent. I can't stop sniffing it and smiling -- if it were possible for me to eat my own wrist, it would be gone by now.

I've also tried it WITH the midway decant the same person sent me -- and I didn't know it could get better, but it does. Together, the two are HEAVEN.

Note: I'm now eagerly seeking anyone who wants to part with their bottles that didn't agree with them -- I'm making a second lab order this week for yet MORE Midway and Shill, but the imps I have are not going to last, and I must have more! Please!! :D

Buttered popcorn! It smells very kernal-y to me as well. I like this, but I don't know if I'd ever wear it :P

I don't really like to eat popcorn, but sometimes the smell of it is sort of uplifting. Shill is all buttery and salty goodness. Shill and Midway really are two of the most genius foodie scents that I've ever had the pleasure of trying. For me, while Midway is the scent of my dreams, Shill is more of a novelty than a must-have. I can only wear it layered with something else (I like that I can now add butter to my fragrances, lol), but it is a lovely room scent. I'm glad to have a decant. The layering possibilities will keep me more than happy. :D

ETA: Okay... I have no clue what the hell I was on when I wrote that first review, but I LOVE Shill. I didn't appreciate it and just wrote it off as a novelty the first time that I tried it. Never again. This blend is right up there with Midway for me (did I just say that?). It is very light - that just means that I have to apply more and more and more of it. Muahaha.

Ahem. This is such a good smell. It's not like a cheap worked all night on the popcorn machine at the movie theatre smell. It's a lovely popcorn, slight butter, and caramel smell (I am actually getting the caramel now, yessss). More dessert-ish. I don't even like popcorn. But I love Shill. And now I have to venture onto evil ebay to get a bottle of it, since I've been bathing in my decant and it's almost gone.

I love you, Shill. :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

ok, i LOVE shill. i love butter, too, so i guess that's not such a surprise? i do get a little bit of sweetness from shill, too, but mostly lovely butter.

the only downside is that it fades *really* fast. like, gone in 30 min, not even a hint left behind. i love shill enough that i'm actually considering a scent locket, something i've been weirdly reluctant about up til now.

butter. :P

Like Graveyard Dirt and Rose red, this is one of those blends where Beth seems to have put something in a blender and poured it into a bottle and said 'here ya go!"

Pure, buttered popcorn. It's been said, I'll say it again. I don't want to wear this perfume because it's just not perfume-like to me but it's amazing, true, dead on - to the point that i had popcorn tonight and was sniff-testing it on my skin. This was long-lasting and hung around all day as well. Yummy!

really, i don't know what to add. i am astounded that this scent can be put into an imp. or a bottle. how do they DO that????? :P

shill is popcorn. movie theatre popcorn, with extra butter. the scent is so rich that it kinda hits my gag reflexes, perhaps the result of compulsive popcorn eating at movies. i can't see myself ever wearing this. but it is amazing that it exists.

Like Graveyard Dirt and Rose red, this is one of those blends where Beth seems to have put something in a blender and poured it into a bottle and said 'here ya go!"

:P My reaction exactly! Popcorn right out of the blender. The amazing thing is, to my nose anyway, it's not even the smell of real butter, it's the smell of that butter "topping" they use at the movie theater! I really like this, my only problem is it doesn't last well on me. But boy, this would be great in an oil burner if you ever want to sell your house :D .

Yup, smells just like movie theater buttered popcorn!! Amazing, it's like a snack that has been liquified. My man thought he smelled some caramel in it as well. It's just like I rubbed my wrist across a tub of popcorn. A really cool idea, I don't know if I'll wear it often but I think it would be really fun for movie night in my oil burner. :P

First Impresson: Hot, buttered popcorn.

Dries down to: More buttered popcorn. This is what it is.

Additional Comments: This is an interesting novelty scent. I know I'd never wear it out but it's a fun one for enabling - it showcases Beth's limitless range, along with Brimstone, Bliss, Lightning and so many others.

Last night I wore it to bed. My husband loves buttered popcorn. I know where I'll be wearing it in the future :P .

Lasted: 3-4 hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 (5 out of 5 for realism)

Vial ~ popcorn and butter, actually I am picking up butter but maybe not

necessary the scent of popcorn, but an odd assortment of smells from

a vendor at the carnival.

Wet ~ pretty much the same as it in the vial.

Drying ~ Okay not I can definietly say it is popcorn smothered in butter

Dry ~ Now that it had completely dried on my skin, it is so more butter

than anythinkg else.

Fade ~ of course, this one stays strong, most scents I don't care for end

up lasting long on me.

Final thoughts ~ This one is just not for me. I recall Red Hot Mama really liking

this one. If she wants it, it's hers. Most likely in a few days I will put

it up for swaps. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it a 1.

Edited by Sistinas

Last night I wore it to bed.  My husband loves buttered popcorn. 

My husband also loves buttered popcorn.

Alas, when offered a sniff of the bottle, he recoiled in horror. No rolling-in-buttered-popcorn passion for us.

This will make one hell of a bath soak, for me at any rate. :P

Preconceived notions:

I mainly ordered Shill for the pure novelty of it (who wouldn't want to try smelling like a bag of buttered popcorn?), but also because of the butter note. I was holding onto a shred of hope that the butter note in this might be somewhat similar to the butter note in the original version of Hellfire, but I don't see that happening. At all. Still worth a shot for the novely factor, though. :D

First sniff:

Whoa! I don't know how Beth did it, but this is the smell of a big, greasy bag of movie theater popcorn with extra butter and a liberal sprinkling of salt. This is dead on accurate, although I'm not sure I'd ever wear it since I'm not normally a foody scent kind of girl.

Wet on skin:

This is so realistic that if you blindfolded me, applied this to your wrists and held them under my nose, I'd be tempted to take a bite out of them. This is absolutely, 100% dead on accurate. The popcorn note becomes more pronounced on my skin, making this "bottled movie theater popcorn butter" and more "bottled movie theater popcorn with butter." I'm floored by how accurate this is. Beth is a genius! :D

Dry down:

Rich, salty buttered popcorn, pure and simple. Shill smells good enough to eat, even if I don't see myself actually wearing this. Utter genius!

The bottom line:

I'm torn between wanting to keep this out of sheer amazement and wanting to swap it so that it doesn't go to waste. Dilemmas, dilemmas... :P

I didn't want to order this one myself, but got the chance to smell it at a meet-up recently. From the descripotions I had her before I thought it would be heavy on the salt and butter but not so much with the actual popcorn scent. Let me tell you: I was wrong. there is a definate underlying scent of popcorn under the salty butter top smells. Interesting, but the boy finds the smell of movie theater popcorn nauseating so I will not be ordering this one.