Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
joseybird

Grand Guignol

… Our Grand Guignol perfume is a shot of sweet apricot brandy; just enough to settle your nerves after a ghoulish, gory brush with the macabre.

On the skin: Fruity alcohol. Slightly floral. Whoa, after a bit this turns quite floral. An apricot blossom almost?

Huh, it's interesting. Not my thing, but interesting.

imp: Mild apricots?

wet: oh, eew. I am swearing off booze scents! I can still smell the apricot but there's this terrible sour, weird odor as well.

dry: super-sour rotting apricots.

Light, slightly boozy scent. The apricot is coming out loud and clear, making this extremely sweet on first application. But as it dries, a sour note comes in and it smells almost rotten. Pass.

Let me start by saying I love apricots - I grew up with a fruit orchard -nothing like a fresh, juicy, sun-ripened apricot.

This is total fake apricot, which is why I cant deal with it - might be a pleasant fruit smell for those who like dark boozy fruit scents - but for me its a lot like one of the fake smells you find in crappy bath and body products found in big box stores.

Not as boozy as I like, but a sweet candied apricot that has a decent wear length. No real throw to speak of. One of those lab blends that makes you go "hmmmm...do I like this?" but you never quite figure it out! ;)

I really do like this, i just got a imp. it is sweet at first and then it sort of becoming this haunting scent, it gets darker as the minutes pass by, the brandy wears very strong on me, i am debating getting a bottle.

In the vial - Definitely apricot brandy. Whoa~

On the skin - A scent more like those dried apricots you can buy in the store.

Dry - And then the booze comes out to play. *hackhack* Definitely true to apricot brandy, alright.

:::GRAND GUIGNOL:::

Sweet Apricot Brandy, is it?

While Apricots are indeed something of a treat, it is hard to imagine imbibing it to settle the nerves after attending politically-incorrect and morbid theatrics.

It's kinda like guzzling a quart of Peach Schnapps while watching "Resevoir Dogs", vivisection, or snuff films.

Antacids beckon.

That being said, Grand Guignol is, in fact, strangely comforting.

The Apricot is a shining and succulent version.

The Brandy is more like pipe-tobacco.

This brings back memories of going up to Idyllwild with friends after graduation and perching on boulders by the riverbank.

Donning trench-coats and big, floppy hats, there was a big pouch of tobacco that was smoked from these ridiculous, grandfatherly pipes.

The feeling was a very smugly Tolkienesque one.

Grand Guignol is almost silly.

There is nothing at all wrong with it.

From relating to it from personal experience, it just feels... Immature. Reckless.

This seems like it would be worn by someone who spends a significant part of their day-to-day life in denial; in a world largely of their own making.

For this reason, it is to be applauded!

On the Skin: Spectacular! While the tobacco/brandy note has faded away, the Apricot amps colossally.

The luscious succulence is still here, but it seems to have grown skin, kernel, and leaf!

Awesome!

Grand Guignol explodes in an array of autumnal and sunset colors (spectrally) while still maintaining the exuberance and vitality of high-summer.

This would very well make a gorgeous room-fragrance, especially for a charming botique.

Grand Guignol smells refined and formal at this phase.

This is something a ballerina might wear.

Grand Guignol is a fragrance for Her.

He could get away with wearing it, sure, but the best way to accomplish this favorably would be for it to transfer from Her skin to His after a humid and groping... Encounter.

Stunningly beautiful.

A 4.9 out of 5.

Huh. I don't know if I like Grand Guignol or not. In the bottle, it's really boozy. On the skin, it's dark, syrupy apricot brandy. I know apricot brandy is what was advertised, but I'd like more bite. I was hoping for a good, tangy apricot, which this is not. I kept sniffing it, waiting for it to do something, to take me on a BPAL journey, but it didn't. That said, I like it well enough to hang on to it. I may like it better in the cooler months or layered with something.

Juicy and slightly boozy apricots straight up. On my wrist it kind of smells like apricot gum (or what I would imagine apricot gum to smell like). It's a pleasant but very simplistic blend. If you're looking for a juicy apricot blend that isn't tampered by other notes, this may be a good one to check out.

Wet, I get alcohol first, dried apricot second, and an undercurrent of something like... freshly cut lumber? There is a slight plastic note as well.

Dry, the scent matures into a subtle, very tart and slightly dusty apricot smell.

I think this is good, but just doesn't quite match up with my body chemistry.

In the imp: Apricot. A hint of something slightly sour (in the bad way), but it's pretty faint.

On skin, wet: Apricot. No booziness to speak of.

On skin, dry: Still pretty much straight-up juicy apricot.

After an hour: Not a morpher, this one. It reminds me of Aglaea a bit, but so far it hasn't gone powdery the way Aglaea does and the apricot is a much stronger note than the peach. Definitely worth a re-test.

I hated this in the imp, but I tried it on anyway.

In the imp and wet, it's all booze, all the time. It smells like sniffing straight out of a bottle of alcohol. Yuk. As it dries though, it turns more fruity, and the apricot takes over the booze smell, ending up as dried, sugary apricot. It's much nicer than it was when I first put it on, but I don't think I need a bottle of it.

In bottle: It’s slightly candied, boozy apricot, rather than the bright fresh glory of the lost march hare. It’s a whole lot more sugary really. Wet: apricot dominant. Still sweeter than the pure apricot note, the booze comes out more. Less cloying than in the bottle and more dangerous smelling, as my natural musk mingles with the apricot brandy. While I like the lost fresh apricot note better than this brandy apricot note, the brandy version is interesting enough in it’s own right. Dry: It’s a little weird on the dry down, a little artificial and fusty while stille seemingly like apricot brandy. It’s warable, but not quite right on me.

Not getting any of the booze, just bright, tart apricot on me. But the weird thing is the throw is so strong it made my eyes water! I put on just the tiniest dab, like I usually do, but I had to rinse several times to get the scent down to a manageable level. I like the smell, but not sure if I can handle how strong it is.

Imp: Juicy fruit with a bite.

Wet: Apricot, almost as if a syrup of it. There's something I noted as "fizzy" behind it.

Drying: This fades fast! The apricot is reminding me of this white peach jelly I get from a Japanese bakery in the city (of all things!). There's still definitely a boozy note there but not one I'd normally associate with brandy.

Dry: Still there, though very close to the skin. I'm really liking this fruity boozy scent. Even if it's now a weird-ish peach-wannabe with some fizz.

Verdict: This may be bottle worthy, especially for next summer (or the rest of this summer). And the name is fantastic!

In the vial: Sour apple? Blarg.

On my skin wet: Starts out rather sour (really sour, like pucker up sour). Then it morphs into a nice boozy apricot thank goodness.

On my skin dry: Still tart apricot with a hint of booze. Tasty and aromatic. I like it but it is rather faint on my skin.

Smells fantastic and juicy in the imp-- mouthwatering even. I want to drink it!

Wet on the skin, looses all the boozy quality :( takes on an odd dusty quality--not flower or amber dusty, like actual dust... Like a dusty attic. O-o. It kills the juiciness on the skin :(

Has some good throw- the waft is pure juicy appricot.

As it dries down a little more it turns a little sharp and astringent because there is nothing pairing with the appricot. Ironically this is one of the few times I wish something had some flowers or amber.

Overall impression: pure appricot jam.

Would I get a bottle? Maybe, to layer with some other things.

Very boozy apricot. It's actually rather pretty, which shocks me to say because I'm not crazy about apricot or booze notes. Very nice, but just a little too boozy for me.

Oh. Oh wow. This is amazing. I cannot even with how amazing this is.

In the imp: definitely sweet, definitely boozy, and definitely apricot!

Wet: ... it initially smells herby on me, which I'm not completely sure how to explain, but oh my WORD it smells like apricots preserved in alcohol this is amazing.

Dry: Sweet sharp boozy apricot. Perfect. They're sweet and tart and I can almost feel the fuzzy skin on them, and the brandy is smooth and golden and beautiful. Oh. Oh yes. Oh yes. Bottle time!

A frimp with a recent lab order. With my history with fruit and booze notes, I'm not expecting much success with this one, but I try to test everything that comes my way, so on it goes.

In the imp: Sweet, boozy apricot. Fresh and naughty all at once, and pretty much exactly what it says it is.

Wet, on skin: Sweet apricot at first--my nose keeps telling me peach, which I suppose is in the same family. After a moment, the brandy starts to warm up, but never becomes very present on my skin. At this stage it's mostly fruit with a faint whiff of alcohol--which is good, because alcohol usually turns really sour on me really quickly.

Dry: Apricot-scented plastic...pretty much what I always get with the lab's fruit notes. It smelled awesome for about five minutes, and then turned into a cheap scented candle. Luckily, my skin ate it within an hour, so no one else had to find out how horrible apricot smells on me :P

I really like this...but it doesn't like me, it seems. No shock there, unfortunately. I think I'll dump this little guy into my oil burner--I'll bet it will make a fabulous rooms scent.

Edited by Alainn

Bottle: Boozey goodness!

Wet: Definitely getting the apricots, but the brandy is doing some weird stuff here...

Dry: Figured out what the brandy did, it turned into the oak barrels that it ages in. I drink brandy, but on me, brandy this is not. So all I get is apricot and oak. It makes the fruit end up fake-smelling, like in lotions.

In the imp: It's a very sharp fruity smell - I definitely get the booze, but the fruit, it smells like apricots if I really think about it, but my first reaction was pear.

Wet on skin: Oh yes. That right there? Is apricot. With a bit of rum. Well, maybe brandy, but it reminds me more of rum.

Dried down: Ok.... now I'm not really sure what this reminds me of. It's a wood smell, and I wasn't expecting that. The apricot booze seems to be gone.

Throw: The apricot booze had some good throw, but the wood doesn't throw as far.

Verdict: *** Again, not really bad or anything, but I don't think this one is for me. To the swap pile it goes!

I feel like maybe I've tried this before but when I wore an imp of it a few days ago it didn't ring any bells. I was expecting something much darker and maybe even a little heavy and syrupy but this is extremely light. The apricot is soft and fuzzy, diffused by the alcohol underneath. No sweetness or feeling of fruitiness, it's very smooth and well blended. I don't have much a reference for the brandy but on me this is like an apricot medicine, something clear and colorless and very thin. I keep picturing apricot medicine or apricot tinged vodka because the alcohol aspect in this is almost non-descript on my skin. I'm drawn to it though and I like how unusual it is. I can pile it on and it never becomes overpowering, though it doesn't last for more than a couple hours.

It has this mysteriously expensive, I don't give a rat's ass vibe going on. That probably only makes sense in my own head but I had to say it anyway.

I think I'm going to have to get a full bottle of this one.