Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tempete

Tezcatlipoca

... Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers.

Imp: WOW cocoa! First there's a hit of sweet florals then BAM! there's the dark chocolate.
Wet: Now the cocoa is dirty, the patchouli comes in and the incense wafts up. I'm reminded of the harsh metallic blood smell of Dracul. The cocoa is back like dirt.
Dry: This was odd. It was dirty cocoa and leather and incense at the end. I don't think my skin blended things the way they were supposed to blend.

Category: Cocoa/Leather
Rating: 2/5; not enough
Overall: I don't think I'm going to keep this scent. The different notes didn't blend quite as well as they could have. I love the idea and those that follow this pantheon could respect this blend more than I do.

Wet, this smelled like metallic, incensed chocolate. It kind of weirded me out.

As it dried, the patchouli came out and grounded the scent, and the metallic scent receded. I can totally imagine this being wildly sexy on the right person, because it's really intense and has a lot of heat to it, but on me it just kind of...weirded me out. Maybe I'll get Ryan to try it. :P

As a huge fan of Bliss and Velvet, I was so desperately hoping for a really excellent chocolate scent in Tezcatlipoca. Alas, all I got was moldy spice. It smelled seriously rancid on me. I think patchouli is another enemy of my skin chemistry, as it has turned me off of every BPAL I've tried with it.

First sniff: I got a big waft of cocoa powder right when I opened the imp. At a deliberate sniff, it’s cocoa and sweet, airy flowers. Despite the flowers-and-chocolate thing (which makes it sound rather like Valentine’s Day), it’s quite dark and… growly.

Wearing: Oh, hey. Leather explosion. Bottle: flowers and chocolate. Skin: leather and patchouli. Chemistry works in mysterious ways. I usually can’t wear leather, but this is pretty nice… but it falls under the category of “interesting but wouldn’t wear much,” and I have so many scents I adore that Tez just doesn’t make the cut.

In the bottle: Cocoa and smoke.

Wet: Sweet cocoa and rather bitter, spicy incense smoke.

Drydown: The cocoa note disappears, but the incense stays there and becomes rather spicy and dark from the patchouli. The leather is rather faint but present, and the scent gives me a visual of a really black, dark piece of warrior's armor. There's also some musk in there, in the extreme drydown I get the honey scent of dark musk.

Overall: I get lots of patchouli and incense from this blend, it's a masculine, nearly peppery scent, befitting for a mysterious warrior. The cocoa disappears completely for me, and I never get flowers, but it works well like this, really. Just not for me because it's too masculine, but it's a blend that I enjoy.

I'm learning to never write off a BPAL scent before trying it on the skin. Tezcatlipoca in the bottle is scarily pungent, but on the skin it mellows into something dark and rich and luscious.

In the bottle - Dark, bitter cocoa, but it's swamped somewhat by a thick, earthy note. Intriguing, but not altogether pleasant. Much like the lord of the smoking mirror himself, I would imagine...

Wet on the skin - The cocoa becomes the dominant note. It's flanked by dark spices and the dry heat of leather. I imagine the ritual drink of spiced chocolate used by the Aztecs smelled very much like this! It's the perfect marriage of concept and content.

Dry down - Smoky, earthy and delicious. It's a very powerful, enigmatic, dark brown scent that demands eyecatching jewellry, a low-necked top and dark, smudged eyeliner. :P

I'd initially stuck this in the 'nice but nothing special' category, but it's really, really grown on me..it's going to have to become a big bottle! (Also seems to be gaining staying power too, although i can't explain that!)

Initially - very artificial cocoa. If you've ever smelt the Eyeko chocolate scent pen, it's exactly like that. Happily this fades almost instantly once on!

Dries down to soft cocoa, warm dry dirt, incense and a tiny, tiny bit of flowers (I hate florals, and i still love this :P ..i never seem to get leather notes at all though, wierdly). It's just very warm & calm & soft, i love it! :D

First on, this is strong, dry cocoa to me, with a hint of flowers in the back. Dirty flowers.

As it dries the cocoa fades but never disappears. The leather becomes a decently strong middle note for me, and the flowers are still a nice background touch, not prominent at all. I'm sure the incense is in here but my nose isn't trained enough to pick it out.

This has a nice waft to it. After half an hour to an hour, i get occasional wafts of the overall scent, and a few wafts of just a beautiful clean dirt smell (yes, clean dirt. if ya know what i mean, ya know what i mean). That's undoubtedly the patchouli, of course. I really enjoy this one. The cocoa is the element that could very easily put me off, yet in this scent the way it layers and blends with everything else makes it unique and appealing, which is how i would describe the overall scent as well. Unique and appealing.

At first it is cocoa, and spices and a bit of dry wood or perhaps earth. Then as it dried it got a bit drier and the cocoa went away. It was a very warm type of spices almost peppery. I never got much floral or leather from it. I wish the cocoa stayed on my skin. Oh well.

Cute roommate one word review: spice

bottle:

cocoa!

wet:

cocoa, not sweet at all.

dry:

cocoa and leather

overall:

nice!

rating: 7/10

Tezcatlipoca arrived as a gift imp from the generous Scylla (thank you!)

Preconceptions: none whatsoever; not being able to pronounce or spell the scent's name I think I kind of glided over it. Thought "um, maybe it will have an Aztec or Mayan smell? And, er, what would that be???"

Upon putting it on my wrists I am reminded of Velvet, but a gentler initial Velvet (I love Velvet, but my first impression of Velvet was peanutbutter and vomit). Thus, I think wisely "must be cocoa in here--and gee, Velvet had sandalwood, is that sandalwood??"

Cocoa moves away (I don't think Cocoa likes me much, it doesn't like to stay) and I get sweet incensey loveliness. Well, now, this is very nice. Seems long lasting on me (except of course that first chocolately burst), settling into flowers and incense.

When I check the actual notes (whose flowers? scary name with X in it??) I am surprised to see patchouli listed. Patchouli in my mind is that overpowering fragrance of the late 60's and the grateful dead crowd (some of whom are probably in their early 60's now, come to think of it. My, time flies.). Not my favorite.

But here, all the notes blend so exquisitely, into something sort of lazily seductive. I like it a lot.

In the vial:

Sweet and chocolatey

On me:

At first, this goes on straight up cocoa - very sweet but earthy in a way. It starts to settle down though rather quickly and that patchouli starts coming out. It makes for a beautiful compliment to the cocoa earthy and sweet and incensey. I do smell the leather as well, but I think that the "incense" smell must be myrhh because I'm getting sort of a myrhh smell to this. In fact, this smells to me like what Velvet was supposed to smell like (in my mind). Velvet turned into pencil shavings and chocolate, but Tezcatlipoca is a smooth, earthy cocoa with incense back notes.

Final note:

I really like this a lot. I can see myself wearing this one a lot - if you like Xiutehcuhtli, give this one a shot - they both have that sort of sweet incense vibe that I like so much.

In the vial: Cocoa. Incense. Leather.

On me: The leather really stands out, with the cocoa, incense, and florals shadowing it. this is such an interesting scent! It really brings forth images of the ancient Central American empires. Oh - am I detecting a bit of cinnamon? Such a cool blend!

Verdict: Definitely a keeper!

Rating: 4/5

This is a glowing orange liquid that smells violently – almost repulsively – of cocoa and patchouli in the bottle.

On, it becomes a particularly meaty combination of cocoa, leather, and patchouli, with just a hint of citric floral breezing right across the top. The incense comes out in powdery bursts. Its throw is powerfully cocoa/patchouli, a uniquely smelly combination that is quite animal.

As it dries the cocoa smell fades into the background and this becomes very strongly patchouli/leather. Now it's a murky, dark smell, the scent of something lurking, stalking.

This reminds me of a nastier Les Infortunes de la Vertu. They share the leather and incense and flower notes, but the addition of patchouli and cocoa really bring this one down into the dirt. It's also reminiscent of Sin, minus the cinnamon note that really didn't work for me in the end.

It walks that fine line between piquant and powdery, and even at the end when the flowers are predominant it doesn't get that powder smell. In fact, the extreme drydown of this is simply beautiful, a spicy, peppery floral with just a hint of the patchouli peeking through.

Its sex appeal is pronounced, but it's a very gender-neutral scent, and would work equally well on men and women. I very much like it, even though it is powerful and perhaps even "stinky." It's adventure, pushing the realm of personal perfume as performance art almost into uncomfortable territory – very daring. Not a smell to argue with in a dark alley.

Edited by Naamah_Darling

The first whiff I take of Tezcatlipoca is filled with bitter cocoa. Real, dark cocoa. It's totally not my style, but I dabbed it on my skin anyway just to see what happens.

On me, it's the same cocoa surrounded by smoke and something savory. It's disturbing and evocative. I love the idea of it, and I love the execution of it, I just don't love the way it smells on me.

In the imp, it's this musty incense with a strong chocolate note. On my skin, I'm not smelling any leather or smoke, and the incense is secondary, but the chocolate comes absolutely alive, and I'm sort of in awe because, to me, chocolate doesn't have any business being a perfumey sort of scent (much like the scents in Midway, which similarly blew me away)- lotion and other stuff, sure, but... somehow Beth makes it work beautifully as a perfume. I love this chocolate. It's warm on my skin, where Bliss eventually went plastic, and it's rich and beautiful and... dusty. Yeah, my perfect chocolate turns into an old box that once held the perfect chocolate. I love the scent, and may have to find an imp just to have on hand, but it's not me.

I got this one as a frimp I think, because I couldn't have ordered it! I'm not fond of cocoa and patchouli in my perfumes and this is no exception.

In the imp this smells like cocoa and just cocoa. I'm too nervous to try it on!

In the vial, and when it first touched my skin, it was deep, dark chocolate - yummy!

Sadly, that lasted about fifteen seconds, before becoming a hideous collage of filthy hippie and raw leather stink. I couldn't wash it off fast enough to prevent a pounding headache from it. :P

In the imp: The lab's cocoa note is very strong to my nose and tends to dominate whenever it is in an imp. I can't smell much else, but I'll bet the patchouli comes out on my skin.

Wet: Yep. Patchouli and chocolate. I would like the incense to emerge.

Drydown and wear: It stays patchouli and chocolate, with the cocoa leading. This one fades quicker than the other cocoa scents I've worked with. After the cocoa fades, I get some incense, but it takes quite some time.

This starts out on me very smooth, sexy, and balanced. The cocoa is balanced perfectly with the incense notes. As it dries, the cocoa seems to turn a little stale. Reminds me of the Great Sword of War which turned a little ashy on me somehow, but this isn't as bad. I'm still on the fence about this actually, but I'm leaning towards swapping it unfortunately. Maybe my skin just doesn't like cocoa, or maybe it's the leather that's turning flat on me (I think GSOW has leather too).

I'll most likely find a better home for this one!

Tezcatlipoca - The first scent I note is a swirl of dark, dry, bitter cocoa. It’s thick and heavy and wet and reminds me of the dry cocoa I bought in Honduras many moons ago, which sent my mind reeling with memories of Central American villagers on hillsides harvesting coffee beans, and the scent of rainforest and trees as wide at the base as a cluster of 20 large men. The first time I applied Tezcatlipoca, I sat and sniffed my wrist, drawing the scent of chocolate into my lungs, closing my eyes, and remembering the Central American markets and Mayan ruins, and quiet mountain town lit up by millions of fireflies. As the scent begins to dry, the faint hint of leather becomes discernible, as does the faintest trace of dry, woody patchouli. I love how the patchouli works with the cocoa to create a sense of robust depth rather than juxtaposing itself against the cocoa, as it easily could if blended by less skilled hands. This is a gorgeous scent and one that I want to explore more, especially as to how it layers with other oils, and I also want to see how this smells on my husband. ROWR!!!

Imp: Cocoa.

Wet: Cocoa and flowers.

Drydown: The cocoa dissipates rather quickly, while patchouli and leather show up. This is a less-harsh leather than, say, Whip, and it blends quite well. During the first 30 minutes, patchouli and myrrh waft in and out over the leather.

1 hour: Primarily myrrh/leather.

3 hours: Faded, light myrrh.

Verdict: Try again. It's nice but I'm not sure it's in my top five.

In the imp: Unsweetened cocoa. I like! Definitely looking forward to wearing this one. On first sniff it is entirely deep dark and thick cocoa, with no sugar. The powder, not the beverage. It smells dry.

On the wrist, wet: Still dark cocoa, but something else is definitely coming through now, something sharper... More masculine.... sexy...Smoky? Possibly? Anubis and I agree, this smells pointy. Not in the literal sense obviously, but there is something very sharp lurking around in here, something you could cut yourself on if you aren't careful.

Dry: This has mellowed into a sultry, sexy smoky scent. This is the sort of smell that makes me think, if Anubis were wearing this I would be way too busy with other things to even think about a review...

Final Analysis: This scent is uber-sexy. I have to get this on the boy on a night when I can have my way with him. Definitely a keeper.

straight sniff from bottle is a pure, rich deep chocolate ... :P

once applied the patchouli comes through loud and clear...i am positively in love with this scent...a bit of the leather note shows up and then what seems to be a small nosegay of dried florals...some incense too...i just adore wearing this as from time to time, i get the different notes separately and combined...

lasts forever on as well...

must get a big bottle before the disappearance of them :D

Ooooh. On first sniff, I get dusty cocoa and sweet patchouli. As it dries, the blend gets smokier, and the cocoa richens behind it. There's something spicy as well, and the leather soon appears, though I can't discern the incense. I love this--it's not quite masculine, but dark and seductive. I definitely want a bottle.