Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tempete

Tezcatlipoca

... Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers.

i wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but i'm impressed!

on me, this is sweet patchouli (i don't actually smell anything cocoa or chocalatey) with a hint of leather and incense. i'm not getting any flowers out of it at all. Edited by Shollin

In the imp, its cocoa.

When it dries, its cocoa, leather, and incense. The patchouli comes out a little. Usually cocoa fades and leather doesn't smell good on me, but this is really sexy.

I want to like this so much. In the vial it's cocoa with a hint of floral. On me, wet, it's floral incense and leather with just a hint of the cocoa underneath. I like it wet, let's see how it dries.

After half an hour it's a sweet soft leather with just a touch of flowers. I love it.

The cocoa in Tezcatlipoca pops up right away and reminds me of Centzon Totochtin, but while in CT it's moist, full and rounded with the rum and red wine, here it's dry and a little spicy/incensy with the leather and patchouli, and the combination of them makes me think a tad of dry tobacco. This is a sexy one. The leather is a little like Loviatar's leather, but much softer, and there's just a whisper of sweet florals, but they're not obvious as florals. The patchouli is definitely there, but it's not strutting about, yelling “HERE I AM!” I wasn't sure about this one at first: chocolate and leather, who'da thought? So good.

This was a pleasant surprise. Another in the pack of men's scents we recently got gifted with, this one does an excellent sex change on my skin, smelling decidedly feminine.

I think that for once my skin's tendency to amp florals has worked in my favour -- the floral notes in here are quite prominent, but balanced out nicely by the patchouli, leather and incense. The overall effect is a bit like Burial meets Loviatar with a touch of Gypsy Queen and maybe Sin -- it's earthy, heady and just floral enough without being too floral. I keep thinking there's some kind of musk in here too, but it's not on the list of notes, so maybe not.

It doesn't come across as all that chocolatey on me -- I can smell the chocolate quite strongly in the imp, but once on my skin, it drops back into the mix and doesn't really stand out. But I think it's still in there as a background presence.

Overall, it's rich, earthy and kinda sexy. And strong -- not in the sense of strong-smelling, but in that it makes me feel strong -- definitely a power scent. This is one guy-scent that's not going to a guy -- it stays right here!

Grade: B+

COCOA!!! Make-me-hungry Cocoa!

That's about all I smelled for the first 10 minutes, and I'm so not complaining! :P

After the cocoa fades a bit, I get incense with hint of cocoa, and a teeny tiny bit of pencil, which is the patchouli (why pencil?? Idunno; it just does that).

But wow. Cocoa. I want to go bathe in a vat of it now.

Definitely a keeper.

I bought a 10 ml of this and wore it to my wedding; of COURSE I love it, yes?

Turns out, not so much.

In the bottle it smells of M&Ms in bondage, which is always good. Lots of cocoa and leather. It's a good mix, well-balanced. I was hoping for a dark, bitter chocolate and it turns out to be a sweeter milk chocolate, but that's still a good scent. Not getting the incense or flowers.

On skin, the cocoa hangs out for a while and gradually fades into a vague background sweetness, while the flowers lurking in the background come RIGHT up to the front. The flowers are not the sort that go really well with chocolate, like violet or rose. I'm not sure what kind of flower it's supposed to be, but the combination of them with the remnants of the chocolate is really uneasy and unfortunately turns out to be the longest-lasting portion of the scent.

Dry after a few hours, it's all wierd flowers, some of which seem to have gone powdery, and something sweet in the background. I never got the incense, and usually my skin hangs onto incense notes like crazy. No dice here.

Tragically, the cocoa and leather and incense in Tez are stomped on by those stupid flowers. I resent them heavily for it; it would have been my favorite oil without them. I've already swapped my big bottle.

Lobster Rating

Better than: bran flakes

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

Scent in bottle: Chocolate and something that smells like green banana, with some faint incense.

Scent on me:

Wet -- More chocolate and flower-banana smell, with patchouli coming out now.

Dry -- The patchouli and flowers are dominant dry, and the incense comes back.

It's a lovely smell, but I'm not sure I like it as something for me to smell like. I just can't get past that unripe-banana connotation. It's very odd. Well-named, though.

In the vial: Chocolate? No, not chocolate but cocoa. Smells like when you open a can of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa. Hmm, very interesting.

Wet on me: Still very much cocoa but incense-y. Oooh and there's that leather smell.

Drydown: Incense smell is more defined and is surrounded by the patchouli and leather. Whatever floral there is in this scent, it's very faint.

A unique blend. Can't see myself wearing it though.

Tezcatlipoca: instant sneezes. Might at well be sneezing powder to me.

On: Sharp and incensy - with a hint of smoke. But still sneezing. Had to wash off before it even got to the drydown.

In Bottle: Chocolate dirt

On Skin: The cocoa is the dominant note with patchouli following close behind. The patchouli gives a “dirt” scent that I don’t really like with the cocoa. I don’t smell leather or florals, but the incense is a bit smokey. This scent is very powdery and dry, also slightly sweet. A bit masculine as well. It’s not a scent I like for myself personally. A bit too dry and the patchouli is too strong for me.

at first: lovely, dark cocoa.

on: mostly patchouli, with a hint of leather and a touch or cocoa. amazing.

2 hours later: lots of leather and patchouli, with a base of smooth cocoa.

3 hours later: sweeter now. the cocoa is stronger.

4 hours later: dark, sweet, dry cocoa with a bit of leather.

overall: i love this! i don't know if i'll end up getting a bottle, though. it will depend on if i use up my imp.

First Impression: Chocolate (cocoa, though, not the sweet stuff) and incense.

Dries down to: The chocolate diminishes in intensity and the incense turns sweeter. It also feels like there's a touch of currant or wine in this.

Additional Comments: I never guessed patchouli - I wish I knew what kind it was. There's no fruit or wine so it's the leather and florals rounding it out. This is lovely in a very unassuming way - a shy, natural beauty vs. an in-your-face diva - it's one to keeping coming back to rather than getting an overload and tiring of it quickly. The balance of notes is absolutely perfect on me.

Lasted: About 3 hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

The incense in this is so beautiful, resiny-spicy and smoking through the cocoa and leather. If there's wine in here, I'd be surprised, as every other wine scent has gone bad on me. Maybe a touch of rich fruit - currant? The overall effect is strong, sexy and comforting. It's not a loud scent, but it is enveloping, with lots of lasting base notes. I have to keep sniffing my wrist and other application areas when I wear this. It would probably be an excellent seduction scent.

Tezcatlipoca smells like chocolate right off the bat. I think if I were to wear this at work, I'd caues serious chocolate cravings among my coworkers. It might get ugly....

It smells good. I'm not much for gourmandie fragrances, but I do like chocolate. Okay, love chocolate. The choco tapers off after some extended wear, but the light musky scent it leaves behind is fabulous.

:::thumbs up:::

-doreen

Woah, there's a huge blast of cocoa when I first put this on. It worries me, but it fades almost immediately. After only a minute, the cocoa is just a darkening factor on the leather that's claiming dominance over my skin. I'm also getting some spicy incense. It's good stuff.

Patchouli comes out in the drydown to sweeten the show. I love the mixture of leather and patchouli. I'm not getting the flowers, but I'm sure they're there, keeping this from being too masculine. The cocoa is still barely there in the end too, but it's decidedly not foody. This is just how I wanted the cocoa to work. Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle: Smells a bit like a box of chocolate liqueurs - rich and dark and probably very tasty but immensely bad for you.

On me: When wet, this smelled like dark hot cocoa powder. As it dried, the powder started to overwhelm the richness, until it smelled like.. well, like standard supermarket instant hot chocolate powder. I would rather it didn't smell so dry - and I can't smell much in the way of leather here at all.

Verdict: nice enough in its own way, but I think I'll keep looking for a chocolate scent I like better.

Devious cocoa and tempting patchouli.

I like this blend, but I wouldn't wear it. I think it's the leather note that kills it for me. I'm just not a fan of the BPAL leather on my skin.

Overall, sexy and I'd like my better half to try it on.

I am in love with this.

The smell of cocoa hits me first when I open it, but it's bitter rather than sickly-sweet, and the incense wafts out with it. On it's cocoa for a while - and for a moment I got that sickly note I'd been worried about, almost an undertone of vomit :P but it goes after a few seconds.

And then the incense and the leather and the patchouli come out, and there's something wonderfully warm and *comforting* about it, like drinking spiced hot chocolate in a warm cafe while the rain hurls down outside and you sit and natter with friends whose leather jackets are pungent with the rain they've run through, and whose hair wisps the scent of incense from the magic shop you've all been browsing.... And still with that dark, bitter undertone to the cocoa, that reminds me of Tezcatlipoca's dark and tricksterish side, but right now he is holding you tight to keep you safe and will not let you go.

Straight to the top of the big bottle list.

In the imp: Smokey cocoa underscored with a barely-there floral.

Wet: Cocoa and flowers.

Dry: Cocoa and playdoh. (Woe!) There's a touch of incense, and if I turn my wrist a little "the other way" I get something herbal, but only for a second.

It's mostly chocolate-scented playdoh though.

In the vial and wet on my skin, the first note I get is a nice warm cocoa with a hint of leather, note of sweetness and an end note of spices.

As this dries down, I get more incense and cocoa with the floral note sharing the same space with the cocoa. The leather sweetens and warms the whole thing and it's laid out over a beautiful patchouli that isn't heady at all.

At complete dry down, I get a very soft patchouli base, laced with a hint of spiciness and a light floral all sweetended with leather. Great throw, long wear.

I have to say if you think patchouli doesn't work for you - try this! This is lovely.

The disaster that is cocoa is somewhat muted here, and fades away nearly completely within five minutes. All that's left of it is something that suggests somewhat singed tonka. There's a fruity-flowery smell that reminds me of Xiuhtecuhtli -- maybe the "ritual incense" in the description is the same incense?

Actually, this is less girly than Xiuhtecuhtli, and I think I like it better for that hint of leather and patchouli that makes it so. In fact, this is bumping Xiuhtecuhtli from my top 10...

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Cocoa and patchouli.

Preconceived notions: So, cocoa? Flowers? Armor? Yeah, I'm guessing this won't end well.

In the imp: Cocoa and patchouli. Huh. An interesting combination, I must say.

On skin, wet: I already love the patchouli in this. At times, patchouli is Dirty Hippie, but here, it's something else entirely. The cocoa, however. The cocoa is fast becoming dusty and chalky.

On skin, dry: Leather, patchouli and cocoa. Surprisingly pleasant, and very unique. If I sniff close to my wrist, the incense note(s) is/are very strong, but a few inches away is a different story -- the incense then is a bit sweet. The cocoa is, as it almost always is on my skin, dry and dusty. Besides that, I just don't like wearing cocoa.

Conclusion: Pleasant, but not for me. I don't care for perfumes with cocoa, and not only because my skin does bad things to cocoa. It might, however, be divine on the boy-thing.

Preconceived ideas: Patchouli. Hmmm. Nice of the lab to include this frimp, but I'm not so sure about this. Oh well, I can always wash it off if I don't like.

In the imp: Ooooh, cocoa. Faintest hint of floral. Nice.

Wet: Mmm, cocoa still.

Dry < 2 hours: Gacckkk, patchouli. Why does my skin hate patchouli so bad? It amps it into something overpowering and bad-stinky.

Dry > 2 hours: So I got busy and didn't wash it off. Good thing. The patchouli has gone far, far away (yay!) and I'm getting creamy chocolately leather. I'll definitely agree with a previous review about M&Ms in bondage. It's like licking melted chocolates off a pair of leather boots and liking it.

Overall: 7/10. Lost points because of the 2 hours of patchouli. Never got the florals once it went on my skin. This will definitely be a scent I wear for a night on the town. Mmm... bondaged chocolates. :P