Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Mantle of Venus

Brings immense success in love and money.

While there's no "official" description for Mantle of Venus, I understand it's intended to bring immense success in money and love.

Since I don't like clove in any quantity, it was hard to put Mantle of Venus on myself and on a candle at first. Once I managed to get past the intensity of the clove, though, I'm pretty sure I smelled cinnamon, orange peel, and maybe even a little nutmeg. As this dried down a little, I was pleasantly reminded of the oranges we covered with cloves and other spices pushed into the peel at Christmas when I was a kid, then hung up as pomanders.

The effectiveness of this blend has overcome my aversion to cloves, at least enough to use this. The first time I used it, I annointed a pink candle and my pulse points, then concentrated on my goals in love and money. I didn't ask for anything specific; in fact, I focused on being open to opportunities, whether new or in progress, and to have the strength to make the most of those opportunities, especially the difficult ones that might not seem rewarding up front.

And ... later that night, my recently-rediscovered and never forgotten college sweetheart and I decided we couldn't make our long-distance relationship work. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I was oddly relieved - and a little voice popped into my head with, "Okay, be open. Apparently this situation had to change for love and money to come to you, so use some of that strength you asked for to sit back and see what happens." I decided to clean out my closet to occupy myself, rather than fret, and found the piggy bank I put change into for six months, then lost during my move - it had over $100 in it.

Today is two weeks later. My current job was winding down to less than 20 hours a week, not including the two hours of drive time each day and mileage costs. My boss, a beloved family friend, decided to close her office down completely and suddenly rather than gradually retire - about ten minutes before I called to tell her I'd accepted a new job and would need to start with less than a week's notice. The new job pays $75 more than the maximum of the actual pay range, and the family friend/current boss I was so worried about putting in a bind is delighted at the prospect of closing the office immediately. To make a long story short on the love front, the boyfriend's not only decided to make the relationship work, he's proposed.

As a single parent, I probably appreciate most what Mantle of Venus has done for my relationship with my daughter. It's very obvious in my household that we love each other, but as she gets closer to school age, we're losing some of that unabashed intimacy and affection that small children share with their parents. Every time I use this blend, we make some fabulous new memory together, and can't get enough of hugging each other and doing things together as equals. Those moments change my life.

Obviously, Mantle of Venus has been incredibly effective for me. I can't thank Beth enough for her gift of this blend. :P

[added description ~qs] Edited by Shollin

The lovely jj_j gifted me with an imp of this! :P Her only request was that I post a review, which I am oh-so-intimidated to do, considering I'm posting right after her amazing review. But here goes...

I've worn this twice in my scent locket. To give you an idea of the scent - at first it's strongly clovey. Strongly. But after a while, I get the light scent of violets, and something bloody. Not dragon's bloody - but bloody. Like iron. I know that sounds kind of gross, but it's really not. Just trying to be descriptive.

So, I wore this to work on Friday, when I just KNEW it was going to be a rough, rough day. All of the signs were pointing to it. And lo and behold, my day was delightful. The abrasive personalities that I was expecting to encounter were actually very pleasant. My day went very swimmingly. I even had an unexpected visit from the Object of My Desire.

It seemed to work so well, that I wore it again to a party on Saturday night. This time I applied it to the palms of my hands. I have to admit, it didn't have quite the same effect - but I worry that's because I'm a compulsive handwasher. I'll know better next time.

I'll definitely save my imp for occasions when I think I need some extra help to make it through the day. The scent is so earthy and calming. Thanks, Jenny!

I'm wearing Mantle of Venus today. For the first few hours, there is very strong clove scent, which later softens with something sweeter and more sensual. The clove still lingers in the background, but now the blend is more rounded.

When I was down in the Metro Center tunnel earlier this afternoon, I got a voicemail from work, saying they made a mistake with my scheduling, and tomorrow I'll be working from 2-10, instead of from 11-5 as previously scheduled. I arrive at school, and get on the elevator. The boy who got on the elevator asked if I was a new student.

"No, this is my fourth quarter," I replied. We chat a bit, and then the elevator stops at the tenth floor.

"Maybe I'll see you around sometime. I'm Graphic Design."

His last words to me as the elevator doors closed was "...but I'm Culinary..." [Culinary students have the twelfth floor to themselves and don't usually intermingle with other arts students while at school.]

Strange boys rarely, if ever, approach me, or for the matter, strike up a conversation in an elevator.

The day before, I was wearing Mantle of Venus to test the waters before I wore it out in public. I was chatting with my boyfriend online and he says to wish him luck. He's planning to visit me at the end of July and was making a bid on priceline.com for hotels in the DC area. He had never used this website before, and there was risk because once your bid is approved, you can't cancel or change your reservations.

He was able to secure his first choice, the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Dupont Circle, for $90/night. This hotel has better reviews than the Hyatt. On their website, rooms run for $200 a night.

I'm not a practictioner of magick, but I think today I'm going to buy some pink and purple candles, and write up a ritual. So far this alchemy blend has been very good to me.

Update

On Friday, September 16th, I wore Mantle of Venus again. That night we had an event at work. Suffice to say, we exceeded sales for that day, and since I worked well over 8 hours, I'll be receiving ~$120 (before taxes) on my next paycheck.

Edited by Sarah

I LOVE BETH AND I LOVE THE LAB AND I LOVE MANTLE OF VENUS!

I get a lot of clove from this oil, which I love. Beth mentioned that the TAL oils are more for what they do than for how they smell, but I like how it smells. To paraphrase what Beth said, it basically accentuates the positive about yourself and brings out your attractiveness.

On my way home from BB I put some on one of my wrists. I already had about six other oils on at the same time. When I got home my cute roommate/ bpal sniff tester was giving me this weird, very very attentive look. We chatted and I had him sniff my arms. When he got to Mantle of Venus his eyes kind of bugged out and he said, "I like THAT one!" woo woo

The rest of the day was just as enjoyable as the beginning. The two of us went shopping together and then joined up with another roommate and his girlfriend for dinner and a movie.

Thanks Beth!

Origin - bottle purchased at Black Broom

Wet - there's this note I have noticed in some of the TAL blends, such as Helping Hand. I don't know what it is, but it smells voodooy. Wet, I primarily smell that. But almost immediately upon touching my skin, sweet clove comes out in abundance.

Dry - Clove, clove and clove, with a bit of that voodoo scent. While wearing it I very loving and cuddly. The clove fades after about 2 hours, just leaving the other smell behind. Even if I didn't love cloves, I would want a bottle of this for it's intent. The fragrance is a huge bonus though.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3. (scent only)

Mantle of Venus

Courtesy of the TAL circular swap.

In the imp: floral cloves. Mainly cloves, but with a hint of something floral, not sure what.

Wet on skin: still spicy-there may be some pepper in here as well as cloves, and I think there's lavender here as well.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is a very soft, gentle scent. it's still spicy, but mildly spiced now. It's become more herbal now. I think it could be lavender, and possibly camomile, or something herbal and soothing. It smells very relaxing and unthreatening, and the cloves add a nice warmth to the scent.

After a while: violets. I think there's a very soft violet scent here. But it also has a slight cherry-like aspect that reminds me of heliotrope flowers, so maybe that's in there too? but it's a soft, purple flower scent, gentle and quite sweet.

Verdict: this is a gorgeous scent. at first it starts of spicy, with cloves and possibly some pepper. Then it dries down to a soothing herbal-floral scent which could be lavender and/or camomile, then changing to violets, or something else. It's a very soothing scent, calm and approachable. I have yet to see whether it brings love or money my way…I hope it does though! I wouldn't mind getting more of this.

In the bottle

perfumey watery blend

On

I smell clove. So far this reminds me of Lush "Skinny Dip" alot. I smell violet too. Yep Lush's "Skinny Dip" has violets and clove, so far perfect match. :P

It's getting a tad sweeter one me.

30 minutes

When it dries it's just fresh and clovey and violety and sweet.

Throw:

more than average, nice. :D

Scent category:

Spicy floral

Summary

Um. This smell sin the bottle like a watery/ozone, light perfume-y blend.

It turns into a medium strong clove scent with sweet violet in the background.

This is love, not in a pink lovely way but in a more powerful "red" way at least on my skin.

*broken record sound* It smells exactly like lush's Skinny Dip shower gel.

Purchase again?

Yes. YUM.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

4.5 YUM.

Beth, get ready for an avalanche of orders from a nutty group of "soap people" :D .

I found Mantle of Venus to smell like an uncanny combination of faint herbs and a sickly lipgloss aroma. It could be that the latter was the clove component that many people have reported, but it did not click with me as a "clove" smell.

(Disclaimer: This review was written in a circular swap, so I did not use the oil for ritual purposes. I can only report here on its scent. I believe this is valuable information so people know if they will find the oil physically/aesthetically uncomfortable when they use it for its intended purpose, BUT I do not believe TAL oils should be used as simple perfume. )

In the bottle: Citrus, floral, and a hint of cinnamon

First on: Fairly the same, only it's more clove than cinnamon. The citrus is light, yet bitter. Almost like bergamot, but it's not as heavy. The florals are light as well, not too strong, which means it's not a rose or a jasmine. It's a nice light fragrance deepened with the clove.

Drydown: Mostly clove, with some of the florals. The citrus is gone. This is a gorgeous scent, regardless of it's magickal properties.

I got this bottle for quantum spice, but I'm definitely getting one of my own.

I'm actually doing aight in the love and money department at the moment (could always use more money, but who couldn't?) but once I sniffed this I just had to try a bit on, with apologies to Venus...

First sniff: Pure joy. Bubbly bouncy happiness. Spicy-sweet and yellow and YAY.

Wearing: I suspect this is going to be a much better Joy Mojo for me than the Joy Mojo itself. It’s really making me smile. :P The spice is more carnation-y than anything you’d find in the kitchen – fantastic spicy sweetness.

ETA: And in honour of stalking the update, this is my five hundredth review. I scare myself sometimes.

Mmm, this is chewy, warm clove. It gets ever so slightly sweeter and almost fruity as it dries. Divine.

I haven't noticed any of its effects yet, but I will update as I do.

Regardless, I love this blend and I need a full bottle.

:D

ETA: So, I have been rubbing Mantle of Venus into my chest, right over my heart chakra, daily. All of a sudden, I am THE golden child at work. I have been given all sorts of responsibilites and lavished with praise. It has been quite unexpected! Also, my husband and I have been positively gooey over each other, but that's sort of typical for us anyway. :D

I've also noticed that even when I have to do unpleasant things, I've been feeling very contented and . . . grateful.

I feel that this is an extremely positive and effective oil.

:P

Edited by summer

at first: this is herbal, but mostly heavy on the clove. lovely stuff.

on: cloves and...violets? a nice combination.

half an hour later: lovely violet and clove scent. i adore this.

1 hour later: powdery violets and warm cloves. did i mention that i adore this?

overall: this is just amazing. i can't say how well this works, but i sure felt capable and beautiful while wearing it.

Heavy on the clove as others have noted, this was a little more herbal than say straight clove or three witches on me. I didn't particularly find the scent attractive but it never really went beyond the wierd herbal part on me and tended to overwhelm any other scent in the area.

Part of TAL Circular Swap -

This is a warm spicy nutmegy scent to my nose, which might be me transposing nutmeg and cloves, given that I tend to cook with both of them a lot and use them similarly.

This is a really nice scent.

Scent review:

Wet? Smells exactly like French Creole. So anyone wondering what FC smells like? Wonder no more. (If you can get ahold of MoV, that is :P) Almost pure sweet clove, wicked strong, which I happen to really like, so of course I loved that phase of Mantle of Venus. But the drydown did not endear it to me - instead of going all sweet-powder-cake like FC, it went sort of generic floral, almost potpurri-ish.

Magical review:

I did not perform any rituals with it, but I did feel sexy wearing it. It was not as noticeably effective as, say, Arabian Nights, but I definitely felt something. I will try again, but I may end up swapping this imp away eventually.

Overall: Not bad, but not a "love" - but it may grow on me, stranger things have happened.

Edited by roesmoker

In Bottle: Fruit leather

On Skin: When I first smelled this I smelled fruit leather. Remember that all natural much better for you than “Fruit Roll Ups” fruit snack? Not as sweet as a Fruit Roll Up since I don’t think they’re sweetened. Well, one minute later and it’s Holy Clove Batman! There is also a very light and sweet floral, I’m thinking violet? It’s a pretty scent but the cloves overwhelm me. I will keep it on and see if I actually encounter any luck in the love or money catagories. I’m happily married so I don’t need any luck there, but I’m broke so come on money luck!

Hmm I'm not sure what is in this that is making me think of dessert wine. It smells alot like sweet port, but also has some spice to it. Theres something else in this I cannot place... I have only worn this for the scent so far, but it smells wonderful, I know alot of the TALs are not ment to be worn, but I sure hope this one is, because it smells great.

The night before I recieved the decant of this oil, I dreamed that a pair of doves nested in my house. Since doves are sacred to Venus, I'm pretty sure that buying it was a good move.

I haven't yet touched this to my skin - right now, I'm using it to anoint a candle that I burn while I prepare supper each night. I'm working to create a happier, more loving environment (since we've been a bit stressed 'round here.) When I light it, I pray to Venus/Aphrodite, asking her to lend me her mantle as she lent it to Hera.

I don't smell cloves at all. Instead, I get a sharp, minty-metallic note with a recognizable 'voodoo' base. Given my negative history with minty scents such as Cathode and Ultraviolet, I'm leery of putting Mantle of Venus on my skin, though I may give it a try at some point.

I have a feeling that this will be the TAL I order an entire bottle of.

Goodness me...

On this past weekend, I did a very small testing ceremony of Mandle of Venus. I took my morning wake up sort of a meditation/focus routine and incorporated this TAL. While holding the imp I concentrated on the ocean and the Bottecelli painting "The Birth of Venus" came distinctly to mind. While thinking of this I began to think about the pieces of my life which I would like to change- frustrations with my job, money being tight, the changes in my love life, etc. I sniffed the oil while concentrating and "wishing" things could start picking up. The scent is very clean, yet with a slight herbally touch. I applied a little to my wrists, neck and my hair. As the day went on, the scent lightened up and seemed to be sweeter and sort of fresh like a clean breeze.

Later in the day I went to the beach with someone very special to me. (ok my ex who I wanted to sort my feelings out regarding) We spent some nice time together walking up and down the beach- we even found a large whole sandoller which was entirely a shock considering the water at this beach is very rough and usualy smashes them before they make it to shore. In retrospect I can see this as some sort of inkling that maybe something good shall come. All day I could pick up little whiffs of the sweetly fresh scent- a background to a very nice day.

As for results:

Yesterday I was informed I recieved a decent raise for my new position at work. I will start training on Monday, and shall recieve my raise retroactivly from the first of the month! My ex recieved a raise this week, and continues to pay me back. He also promised me a substantial lump sum when he recieves an inheritance check any time now(since I put the downpayment on his truck back in 04).

I have a feeling the ex and I will end up back together eventually. For some reason this isn't an awful thing. Long backstory here. Even my friends admit that this is not necessairly a bad thing, as long as he continues to behave. One friend told me that it is blatently appearnt he is absolutly devoted to me.

Along those lines, the Hot Engineer from a few months ago messaged me this afternoon and actully started talking to me again! Color me impressed.

Mantle of Venus smells like pure sweet clove on me, but a lighter and more wearable sort of sweet clove. It's well, sweeter, and less pungent than clove often is on me.

The first time that I put this on, I was feeling really depressed because the camping trip that I'd been planning for months seemed to have fallen through, and my boy's work schedule has really picked up, so it was looking like I wouldn't see him for a while. After putting this on, my friend gave me a call and said that he got the needed time off work and the money to still go on our camping trip. My mother bought me a new tent that she found on sale. And the boy called me a few hours later to tell me that he has some free time this weekend to spend with me <3.

Maybe those things are all just very pleasant coincidences, but I'm definitely in a better mood now and I'm feeling like my luck may have taken a turn for the better. :P

I can't sort out the scent, but it's spicy and delicious. Cinnamon, clove, oranges, and some other things I can't identify. I applied it since my boyfriend is in town for a little bit and I want our time together to be as enjoyable as possible. We will see about results, I'm already doing pretty well as far as success with love and money lately.

Tested for scent here, not intent:

In the imp: hey, sweet clove! and some herbs and a few mingled florals, too.

On me, wet: argh, baby powder. Seriously, as soon as this touches my skin, powder.

On me, dry: the clove is fighting through the powder, but still, this is almost pure baby powder on me. Wah.

Verdict: Brings great fortune? ....not smelling like this it won't, sorry.

I haven't been doing rituals, for awhile. So, I'm concentrating on magickal oils that can also be worn for pleasure.

At first, I thought I'd hate this. The first note I caught was pine resin. "Oh, God/dess/es," I though. "Lysol." I HATE pine.

However, that note faded quickly. It never went away, but it lowered the volume to add an intriguing, subtle "bite," that I really like! It's like the little flash of witty bitch, in a woman who might otherwise come on as TOO nice. Also adds a very slight touch of "fresh" to contrast the welcoming warmth.

I suck WHOLE mountain ranges at naming notes. But, here's what seemed tp come out, as the scent ripened. Clove and just a touch of nutmeg. Not TOO much. Just a little spicey warmth. Not foody. Lavender? Violet? Is there just a touch of vanilla or tonka?

Throw is medium. Wear is FABULOUS! I woke with it still on, and BETTER!

Can't attest to magickal powers yet. I haven't "field tested" it. But, I think it's gonna be my signature scent, for awhile.

Scent: Seriously juicy cherries with a little bit of waxiness. I've had some on in a scent locket all day and at the end of the day I keep getting whiffs of something peppery drifting up from my cleavage, and I'm pretty sure it's the MoV.

Effectiveness: I anointed a pink candle with this oil this morning and put it in front of my Venus shrine, asking Her for luck with love and with finding a job. I also wore some on cotton in a scent locket. Well, I did get a job today, and my relationship continues to be as sickeningly happy as ever :P

I did perform a longer ritual last night using the Foundation of Fortune TAL oil (also with an eye to getting a job), so I can't say which of the two should receive more 'credit'. I did really like wearing the MoV though; the scent made me feel happy and confident.

Hmmm... I think I used this sometime in mid-late November. I was applying for new jobs, but more importantly, the work suckage of my current job had taken a toll on my relationship with my husband. I wanted a sort of a kickstart in general. Not sexually, but more like I wanted to laugh and be happier and just enjoy time with my husband.

I didn't light a pink candle, but I did think of Venus. In fact, I thought of the painting of Venus rising from the sea, her ginger hair blowing in the wind and taking a step off the giant shell and on to land, giving me her hand. I just asked her to smile upon me.

I think she did. I found a new job, my husband and I are ridiculously giddy now (mainly because I don't wake up dreading to go to work) and we're being cuddly and just... my life has picked up for the better.

Verdict: Dude, this stuff works. It's on my list of TAL purchase... which at this point is ballooning up horribly. Way to go Beth and labbies... :P