Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lilithlefay

Milk Moon 2005

… Milk Moon is Flower Moon’s warmer, gentler cousin; it is a scent that emulates the closeness of child and mother. In it, cream and warm honey soften our traditional blend of lunar oils.

I only had a little bitty bit left in a frimp to test, so I guess you could say I had a one night stand with Milk Moon.

It was with a little bit of nervousness I even sniffed the imp, because I read this whole review thread first. Normally I would sniff first then read, and I don't remember what my impetus was to read first, but I did. The reviews which mentioned mint really made me nervous because mint can make me sick to my stomach. The only reason I even gave this a chance was that Calliope also has a mint note and it is wonderful on me.

So...to my 'one night stand.'

In the imp: honey, with a creamy base. I smell no mint at all, which is wonderfully reassuring. I also smell no coconut which sometimes amps up far too sweet on me. Again, very reassuring. And I like the way this honey smells...rich, sweet but not cloying. I'm already wishing I had more than a teensy bit of this oil

Wet on skin: The creaminess really stands out upon first application, but then the honey comes in, very nicely. Still no mint, nor any coconut for which I am immensely grateful.

Dry: Oh, this is so lovely! So warming, so satisfying...this is like spending the night at my grandmother's when I was a little girl. The scent is honey, creamy honey, and I totally love it.

Verdict: I must haunt the forums and eBay until I score at least another imp, but preferably a bottle. This is just luscious. :wub3:

Buttermilk!

I don't like the smell of buttermilk.

Think about the smell of melted butter. Really think about it.

Yeah.

Do you want to smell like that?

Since it's my job to be the squealing test bunny for these things, I will brave the buttermilk demons and try it anyway.

When I put it on, it becomes sweet buttercream candy, with a hint of mint. This is actually very nice once it goes on and loses that rancid milk smell. It has a sugary friendliness, a creamy, sweet, vanilla-sugar yumminess that is ever so appealing. The touch of mint keeps it from being too sweet, and gives it a little extra kick.

The throw is a sugary vanilla halo with just a hint of cream. It's a supremely cuddly, warm-blanket scent that kicks the hell out of every other comfort blend I've smelled. As I said to a friend, if kittens smelled like this, we'd never get anything done.

I really like this, and I have the sneaky feeling I shouldn't. Still, if you like foody, creamy scents, if you like cake-y blends or creamy blends, this might be worth a try. I'm really loving it. How something so lovely can be so rancid in the bottle is beyond me.

Ugh! This is so sweet and yummy, I'm getting fatter just sniffing it. Love it.

holy hell this is all cream and honey...its so sweet and almost cloying...but its goooood. It is totally a mother/child scent...itd be LOVELY as a wash or bubble bath...maybe even shampoo.....

Mmm, I'm *so* glad the Lab's milk note works on me, because I'm all about the creamy/comfort scents. And Milk Moon is just that. It encapsulates warmth and comfort with its milky, honeyed goodness. When I had my roommate sniff my wrist she remarked, "Smells just like my hazlenut latte Smencil." :P

This is a very good scent. I love it, and need to hunt down more.

Milk, cream, warm honey-- very true to its description. It is much like the 2007 version, just minus the fruits. I also see the comparison to Obatala, its the same milky note. I like it a lot, but I'll be content with Obatala and MM '07.

In the imp: Baby spit and baby formula.

On Skin: Milky, creamy and with a touch of the plastic note

On Drydown: Milky plastic

Verdict: OOOOKAY.... this so doesn't work on my skin. I don't know what it is but something definitely smells mildly plastic on me (noticed this in Snowblind and Tokyo Stomp as well). In any case, this definitely isn't as fruity as MM2007, much more of the creamy/milky variety. *SIGH* I bet this is very lovely and comforting on someone that doesn't have my skin chemistry. :P

Just like 2007, this one was all rancid baby vomit on me. I thought I'd like it because I love the milky-goodness that is Dana O'Shee, but it was a severely bad no-go. I still have nightmares. . . ^_~

*sigh* I had high hopes for this one when I sniffed the bottle. I was picking up a boozy cream. Almost like buttermilk, but better. Once I got it on me, though, my body chemistry said "uh uh". What was creamy suddenly turned to curdled milk. Or, as some have said, bad baby formula. It's so sad. I really wanted to like this one. :P

bottle: slightly fermented honeyed cream. of course, the fermented scent might just be due to the age of the bottle...

wet: there is an interesting herbal scent below the milk and honey that has a rich, green-ness to it. but mostly, this is sweet milk and honey on me.

dry: super sweet! the honey seems to have amped a bit once dry so a sweet herbal scent with milk and super-sweet honey.

Edited by hkhm

In the vial: Sweet and creamy, but with a sharp note lurking on the edges.

On skin: The sharpness I could smell in the vial reveals itself to be a sourness in the milk once applied to skin. The warm creamy milk forms a lovely backdrop to the scent, but unfortunately the sourness spoils it.

~2 hours: Soft, creamy milk overlaid with a sour tone. Although the sour note isn't altogether unpleasant, it does add a sharpness to the blend that doesn't fit with the creaminess of the milk. Which is a shame, because I had high hopes for this blend and it would have been lovely had it not soured on me. Sadly not to be, so off to swaps it goes.

In the bottle: It smells like a certain milk candy I used to eat when I was young.

Wet: Milk, but it's barely there. It reminds me a bit of Chaste Moon. I put on quite a bit, just this short of slathering, and I still have to put my wrist all the way to my nose to smell anything.

Drydown: It gets a bit minty, and then suddenly it turns into sour milk and cat pee. Oh skin chemistry, you have failed me once again. *sigh*

I will preface this review by stating that I have had trouble with the Lab's milk/cream notes before. That being said, I didn't seem to have that issue here... once this dried. Wet there was definitely an odd sour smell, but this seemed to only last 10 minutes or so. As it began to dry, the sour smell went away and it was replaced by this wonderful creamy honey smell. The milk thickened to a cream scent on me. Very comforting indeed. I felt warm and contented all evening while wearing this. Overall I really liked this, but I don't know if I necessarily will hunt down a bottle.

In bottle: whoa. this smells like actual milk. as in from a cow.

Wet: this is scarily realistic milk... milk, with its ever-so-slightly sour and animalistic smell. however, I am surprised at the accuracy of Beth's description. this is the smell of a mother and child, definitely. it's a very nurturing scent.

dry: oh, crap. I'm getting that "baby formula" note. and oddly, I never get any honey. just milky baby formula and baby powder. this is nice but it makes me smell like a new mom!

Sniffed: Light yellow oil. Sweet, creamy, rich - and a little tropical. I do get honey, but also other fruits, and the cream note is more sweet milk than cream.

Wet: More fruity-tropical, and significantly sweeter, almost cloyingly. I get a lot of date - I'm sort of reminded of The Hanging Gardens. The cream note is very light. Still tropical, like pineapple and buttery rum.

Dry: Tarter and more fruity, with amped pineapple. The milk has gone a bit sour, too - it's definitely much heavier on the milk than the cream, alas.The honey and sweetness has faded a bit. The tart/creamy combo reminds me slightly of Horn of Amalthea.

Summary: It fades a lot, but at the same time - it has really good throw. I can't get over the sourness of the milk, and all creaminess has gone. It's date and coconutty sour milk, with only a touch of honey - much less sweet than initially. Not bad, but it doesn't match the coveted description.

Milk Moon 2005

This is SO PRETTY. Sweetened condensed milk and buttermints. And coconut? Fantastic!

It smells like warm cream and honey. I amp honey so it was all honey dry. I cant do bpals milk notes, they go sour on me.

Edited by BuxomM

I tried Milk Moon 07 first, and found that I LOVED it except for those pesky super-sweet fruits. (Milk and champagne grape smoothie just didn't do it for me) Well. Milk Moon 05 takes care of all that. It's very simple, just lush, realistic, creamy milk sweetened up by honey. There is a little sharpness there--not sour milk sharpness, but the little edge of sharpness that good fresh yoghurt has. It's really a 'how the hell did Beth DO that?' kind of scent.

Perhaps I don't REALLY need both this and Phantom Cow, except I really, really love them both. So glad the lab's milk and cream notes work for me.

I got to try this at the latest Chicago meet-n-sniff, thanks to whoever brought it! I find Milk Moon '07 to be a really comforting scent and I like to wear it at bedtime, so I was really happy to get to sniff this. At this point, the fruits of '07 have really just added richness to the oil, so I don't smell a tremendous difference between them, although if I had smelled this incarnation when my '07 was fresh it would have been really different. The milk and honey are so comforting and snuggly together. Honey is my favorite note of all time, and the Lab's milk and cream notes are very good on me as well, so together it's amazing. Warm, snuggly, comforting, and wonderful. I love this, and if I didn't have the '07 version I'd want this so very badly.

First the good news: this didn't hate me as much as Milk Moon 07. Now the bad news: it still hated me. It smelled promising in the bottle, sweet and creamy, but a few seconds on my sin and it started to take on that telltale Milk Moon 07 smell of rancid fruit and spoiled milk. It really confuses me because most of the Lab's milk and cream notes do very well on my skin, but something in both Milk Moons just doesn't work.

Y'know, it didn't smell quite so bad in the bottle. I got the strong milky note, a bit of the mint, and a nice sweetness. Promising, right? The description and reviews sounded so appetizing, and I've had some good luck with milk notes in the past...

Alas, on my skin it was a nightmare. It was three things that I detest: foodie, sour, and cloying. The fresh milk note turned to rancid awful milk, the sweetness was heavy and nauseating. The mint ran off with the spoon. I don't know how to describe the scent, besides perhaps day-old decaying milk.

I've never tried so hard to get a scent off of my skin. I washed, twice, and then used some rubbing alcohol. That just left the sour spoiled milk note (ack!), which I covered with a liberal dose of something that I actually like. Every now and then, I still get a whiff of Milk Moon because it's on my clothes. I may have to change. :(

Y'know, it didn't smell quite so bad in the bottle. I got the strong milky note, a bit of the mint, and a nice sweetness. Promising, right? The description and reviews sounded so appetizing, and I've had some good luck with milk notes in the past...

Alas, on my skin it was a nightmare. It was three things that I detest: foodie, sour, and cloying. The fresh milk note turned to rancid awful milk, the sweetness was heavy and nauseating. The mint ran off with the spoon. I don't know how to describe the scent, besides perhaps day-old decaying milk.

I've never tried so hard to get a scent off of my skin. I washed, twice, and then used some rubbing alcohol. That just left the sour spoiled milk note (ack!), which I covered with a liberal dose of something that I actually like.

I had the EXACT same experience!! I have loved all the other milky blends I've tried, so I was really excited to try this one.

In vial: Sweet, milky floral. A little tang of something?

Wet on skin: The sweetness immediately gives way to horrifyingly curdled milk. I didn't think the representation of mother & child would be quite so literal- baby spit-up! Eurgh.

Dry: I had to excercise a great deal of self-control to allow it to dry for a few minutes. My gag reflex was jumping, let me tell you... No improvement though. A sour, fruity smell joined in with the yellow, milky smell. I had to scrub my wrists & liberally apply Snake Oil to eradicate the lingering sourness.

Verdict: Sad. I had hopes! This might have even dethroned milk from my favorite notes list. :(

This one reminds me a LOT of Boo when on my skin! It must be the same milk/cream note :)

It's pretty much straight up milk; not getting anything else. It's creamy and sweet and heavy.

It's quite pleasant if you enjoy milk, but I already have Boo, which satisfies my cream cravings, so I don't need a bottle of this. But I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you enjoy the lab's milk note!