Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lilithlefay

Milk Moon 2005

May marks the apex of the year's fertility, expresses the reawakening of the sexuality of the Earth and her inhabitants, and May's full moon celebrates both the fecundity of the creatures and flora of this world and the vibrancy, rejuvenation and life-affirming energy of Spring. Milk Moon is Flower Moon's warmer, gentler cousin; it is a scent that emulates the closeness of child and mother. In it, cream and warm honey soften our traditional blend of lunar oils.

Wow, am I the first to review this. a little nerve wracking. But I will give it a go. Picked this up today at the Black Broom.

this smells absolutely divine!!!! I think I may have found a new favorite!!!! Initially this reminds me a little bit of Spooky. It has a definite creamy sweet scent to it, but it also has these seductive peppermint scent.

In the bottle: I can definitely smell peppermint and cream, but the peppermint isn't overpowering. It is there but it complements the cream very well.

Wet Skin: It stays pretty true to the bottle but more of the honey sweetness comes out.

It wears pretty close to what I smell in the bottle too, 5 minutes after application I can still smell peppermint, cream, and honey. It makes me feel very happy!!! It almost has a sugary scent too, but like I said, it isn't overly sweet. Perfectly balanced.
Okay have I repeated myself enough? Can I say again that I am in love with this scent!!! Edited by Shollin

Origin - Bottle purchased 5/23 at Black Broom.

Preconceived notions - I love milk scents, but they don't love me. They usually fade away to nothing in a matter of seconds, but I still wanted to try Milk Moon, because it sounded so lovely. Still, I didn't have high hopes for it.

Wet - oh my, this smells delicious! Rich and creamy, almost buttery.

Dry - sadly this fades on me like all milk blends do, but it doesn't fade quite as much as the others! There's hope! This is odd because I can't smell it on my wrist at all, but I can smell it lightly wafting around me, so I know it's still there. I smell the same bottom notes as in Chaste Moon, presumably that's the lunacy blend, but this is more buttery than butterscotchy. There's some coconut in here too. After a few hours this truly becomes a light milk and honey scent. This is similiar to both Chaste Moon and Snow White, but I like it better than either of them.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

In the bottle I love this oil in the bottle it smells buttery with a almost coconut and green scent in the mix.

When first on it switches quickly from milky and sweet to almost minty or a green herb of some sort I can't quite place with a coconuty slightly sweet scent. It isn't really working well with my chemistry its a little thick and cloying and slightly acidic.

After about five minutes it has mellowed a little milkier and a smidge less minty/green and a little nicer.

Ok sadly we have hit a problem at about 10 minutes its starting to smell like plastic edging on burnt plastic :P This is the first BPAL oil to turn on me so I am super sad right now.

I am literally writing this with my very first try of this oil and might try it again and hope it decides to work next time.

Edited by blood*rose*flowers

I got this from a forum member who purchased it at Black Broom and didn't like it with her body chemistry. When I first tried this, I immediately was remdinded of Sugar Cookie, but after wearing it for a while, the lunars come into play and it became actually gorgeous on me. I really have been getting along well with the lunars. This is no exception. However, it did take some time for this to "grow" on me. I went from thinking it was just so/so to loving it. I really wish I was a person that was "warmer". I'm always freezing and because of this my scent never wafts. However, the day I wore this....there was a brief moment I got overheated and this oil really morphed with my chemistry and was a gorgeous creamy, honey tinged scent with just a hint of the sparkling lunars oils. This was very comforting and warm. This will be really nice for warmer weather as it wore very lightly on me, but not quite as light as Chaste Moon. Speaking of Chaste Moon....I thought these would be similar, but actually they are quite different.

I got a decant of this from shay_85 over on the LJ community, because I was afraid from the descriptions so far, I was not gonna like it at all, and was going to have to sell my bottle when it came.

Heh.

Unless this morphs horribly in the next hour or so, they will pry this bottle out of my cold dead hands.

Holy hell, this is fantastic. This is what I hoped Spooky would be - light, creamy, sweet, coconut milk with a slight buttery undertone. There's also the faintest whiff of mint, hiding way in the background, but keeping the blend from going over to sickly sweet. I'm not picking up any honey, but I think it might just be really well blended into the sweet warmth.

Like lorajc, I thought this would be similar to Chaste Moon, which was pretty, but just slightly too heavy for me to want to wear it often. While the two moons do share a sweetness and a creaminess, this is much more to my tastes.

This is the most calming, soothing, perfect spring night blend. It's just making me so happy! I'm in love, completely.

I got an imp of this in a swap recently. After reading the reviews, I was a little worried about the mint in it.

Smelling it in the bottle, the peppermint is defintely there, as well as a very rich, creamy milk smell. I wasn't sure that I liked it all that much as it had a slightly sour note. (I have to say here that I don't drink milk because no matter how fresh it is, it always tastes and smells sour to me.)

About five minutes after putting this on, I had to scrub it off of my skin. It smells horrible on me. The sour edge to it explodes the second it hits my skin and it smells like a baby puked up peppermint formula on me.

I was really hoping that this would work on me because I normally do really well with foody sweet scents and the milk note in Dragon's Milk was gorgeous on me. Sadly, I had to give this to my friend the day after I received it. :P

I got a gift imp of Milk Moon with a purchase I made from CricketShay/Shay_85 on eBay. It was a complete surprise, and a lovely gesture, as of course I have yet to receive the bottle I ordered at the update, and since her auction was a benefit for a friend in need, I really wasn’t expecting frimps. A very class act, is our Shay!

I’ve been getting along very well with the Lunacy blends (except for Storm Moon, but ozone scents are hit or miss with my chemistry, so I was neither shocked nor surprised when that relationship didn’t work out), but I was a little concerned that either the milk or the honey in this one would go PalyDoh on me, which happens now and then. But it just sounded so lovely, you know? So before I had properly examined the rest of that package, I had to swipe the wand across my wrist.

Oh. My! What does this smell like? It’s so familiar, and so dear, like the sweetest moments of childhood all in one place…and why am I suddenly wondering if Beth was ever a Girl Scout? :P Aha! This is pure essence of Mock Angel Food Cake!

Mock Angel Food Cake is a campout goodie – like S’mores, only better, even. Essentially it’s unsliced white bread, crust removed, cut into substantial cubes or rectangle blocks (about 2 inches thick and whatever long dimension suits you). You dip all the sides of each piece of bread into sweetened condensed milk, then roll them in shredded coconut, slide them onto your toasting stick, and toast them over the embers of the cooking fire until all sides are a golden brown. Eat it as hot as you can stand it, and get back in line to make the next piece. It’s gooey and creamy and sweet and crusty all at once, and it’s the perfect end to a day spent out of doors hiking and setting up camp and preparing and cooking a meal with a group of friends. There’s a Mother connection for me, too, because I learned about this heavenly concoction from my mother, who was also my Scout Leader, and some of the best times of my childhood were spent camping out under her direction and guidance. Out under the trees in Southern California on a Summer evening, listening to the mourning doves calling in the trees as the light fades and the loons on the lake take over, smelling greenery and the lake and toasting lovely sticky milky coconutty bread to golden goodness over a fire we had started ourselves – always with just one match, of course. :D Cool evening air and a big, full moon rising over the golden hills.

And here are all those moments rolled into one in a little glass vial. I seriously do not know how Beth does it, but I’m perfectly willing to believe it’s magic.

Milk moon fades on me in about two hours, but I didn’t slather, and it’s not the sort of scent one can’t reapply during a workday without overwhelming coworkers, in any case. It’s so rich I don’t know if I’ll use it up very quickly (hot weather coming, and I’m more in the tea-based scents for hot days), but it will be perfect for the cool of the evening, and family gatherings and outings with my mother, who is 81 and frail, but still my bestest friend and mentor, and who will be both amused and amazed at this time machine in a bottle. I’m glad I have a bottle coming, and I’m so glad Beth made this! :D

I am in LOVE. There are things in here that I thought would come out weird on me (honey, mint), but it's all complementary and mild. And it has lasted all day. It starts out with milk and mint, and is now a sweet butter/milk. Unlike other food scents that have only made me hungry, this makes me feel full when I am hungry. It's really lovely. Now I wish I bought a bottle!

If I were a mother/grandmother, or was a kindergarten teacher, I'd wear this.

2nd wear: My mother smelled coconut very strongly; I'm ambivalent towards coconut, but it works really well here and melds in with the rest of the ingredients.

Edited by evil_laugher

Milk Moon

In the imp: yoghurt??? Yup, that's what this smells like. Sweetened yoghurt. Even more so than Chaste Moon's fruity vanilla 'Petit Filous' scent, which had loads of other lovely notes, but this is true yoghurt, with a hint of honey-but it's warm yoghurt which isn't very nice...

Wet on skin: yup, it's yoghurt. Or marscapone cheese. It's slightly sour, in a milky sort of way, but I think it improves. I prefer cold milk though-to me this smells like warm milk/yoghurt with something sweet added. And I think I can smell mint? How unusual…

Dry on skin: mint! This smells a bit like 'mint milkshake' now (is there such a thing?) the milky note is very strong in this, but I don't really like the way it smells like warm milk that's been left in the sun and has started going sour. I like my milkshakes and yoghurts served chilled and fresh, the same goes with the smell. There's a sweet note that wants to come out, but the sour note blocks it.

After a while: yup, it's still the same, warm sour milk. There's a hint of honey there, but I really don't like the sour milk smell. And I love yoghurt with honey, but I don't want to smell of it…

Verdict: after reading the description I was hoping this would smell like the lovely Dana O'Shee, which also has milk and honey and smells awesome. Unfortunately, this smells more like warm yoghurt (which is not nice), or sour milk, with mint and honey-I was hoping the honey would come through, but the sour milk note stops it. This has the strongest 'dairy product' smell I have experienced in BPAL, and I usually love creamy sweet smells, but this just smelt slightly rancid. Milk Moon, I wanted to love you, I was hoping this oil would be my BPAL bitty…but my skin wouldn't let that be :P

Oh Milk Moon... I got a 5ml bottle of this after sniffing it in Alternate Realities.

It's very sweet - like warmed marshmallow fluff with toasted almond on top- it smells a bit like amish friendship bread, vanilla, almond sugar....

at first I thought too sweet, but I couldn't put it down because my mouth was watering. I imagined drifting off to sleep with this smell (for you Lush fans, layered on top of Sympathy for the Skin lotion).

After it has had time to dry on my arm it begins to smell like buttercream frosting on my wrist. It makes the people I hold my wrist up to want to nibble on it- a delectable and comforting scent. Milk and honey.

I want to lay in a field on my back watching the moon and chewing on honeysuckle.

Edited by aidenraine

Dear god. This is the Mystical Sugar Cookie of the Cosmos. This is vanilla ice cream as interpreted by the world's most creative and sophisticated chef. This is... amazing.

A strong dairy and sugar smell (I don't get honey, I get cooked sugar instead) with little herbal and floral hints in the background. There was an initial whiff of something sour and fermented, but that went away. Or maybe, it went away *almost* completely -- there's something really fertile and biological in this scent, and I think a tiny hint of that fermented smell might be part of it.

I don't know how well it lasts (I just put it on an hour ago), but even if it fades quickly, I will treasure this imp (purchased from Chopchica, BTW).

i recieved Milk Moon today - the same day my best friend gave birth to a beautiful little girl!

its everything everyone has described and i totally agree with the "fertile, biological"-ness of the dairy scent - its not quite fermented to me, but it is alive as opposed to a baked good, soft, but not really foody to me - the aliveness and biologicalness of the scent stands out to me.

im going to bring some to my lovely lady right now! :P

edited to add: dry down hours later is soft delicious cocoa powder! :D

Edited by lixolux

Oh yowza! I was thinking it was going to be milky like Alice or White Rabbit is, but not all all (and I do love both those scents)! This is definitely buttered bread/dough, angel/vanilla cake-y goodness! Holy moley! It mixes so well with Flower Moon, too!

I can't wait to see how this holds up after a few hours. Hot damn, I think I need more! :P

In the bottle, Milk Moon was intoxicating. I took one quick sniff, and then did a double take and went back for a second longer sniff, and my third sniff went on forever. Mmm.

In the bottle- Complex. Cream, honey, marshmallow, and a little bit of toasted coconut.

Wet- I applied too much, but this is bursting with cream (a thick heavy cream, in the stage right before it turns to whipped cream but is still liquid enough to glide across the skin and tongue smoothly[can you tell I've worked with a pastry chef?]), a sweet but heavy sugar that reminds me of marshmallows dipped in molasses.

Dry- Still what was said above, with the addition of a creamy light coconut. If anyones ever had Vitasoy coconut flavor in the little drink boxes, it smells exactly like that. It's creamy and yummy and warm and welcoming and lovely. I won't ever use more than an imp and a half, but this is an amazing, wonderfully deep scent. :P

MMmmm! This one is delicious - pure simple hot milk with a dribble of honey. I agree with yeahbutnobut - out of the bottle it does smell yoghurty, but in a good, clean way. I don't detect the mint that others have mentioned and I'm glad.

It sweetens up as it dries down and is making me feel drowsy and contented. I also think it would layer well with other blends - I'm thinking Three Witches right now...

:P

yummy! This one smells like the best possible ever drink. Milky buttery sweet with coconut and YUM! kind of like a hot rum toddy met a pina colada! I LOVE IT! Sadly my bottle spilled quite a bit in transit :P

anyone who wants something else who has milk moon to swap? I'm on a hunt! I have corazon LE and quite a few other catalog scents too.

Edited by mmcfa2

Milk Moon: This one is Snow White and Chaste Moon having a baby with Spooky being an uncle. :D From the bottle this has the butterscotch aroma of Chaste Moon. Then when first applied I get mint, not strong mint and a little coconut. The drydown is a very soft milk and honey with a bit of almond in the background. I could wear this with either Snow White, Pink Moon or Chaste Moon. :P Very nice and a keeper. :D

My guess would more be to the effect of Snow White and Spooky having a baby. :P On my, it's got the Creamyness of Snow White with a bit of Mint poking it's head out. Uhm. perhaps that's a bad way to put it, when talking ab out having a baby..

aaanyways.. this is absolutely delicious.

After wearing it for a bit, the mint part fades out (mint has a tendency to fade quickly on me), it's left with Creamy Lunar Oils... still none to shabby.

OMG...this is the first lunal oil I've tried and it is the most absolutely amazing scent... like a couple of others above I got a teensy little taste of this as laganappe from Shay in an eBay auction (which is so amazingly cool, might I add...). I missed out on the April lunar order, but thank goodness I already have an imp lined up from a swap, because I am going to need something to hold me until I can snag a bottle(s) here, because this scent is incredible...

In the vial, it is a decadent, creamy, buttery potion...on my skin, it lightens just enough to not feel *heavy* on a hot summer day. I can still smell the cream, but the butter lifts and the light mint (like fresh mint in a garden, as opposed to the sweet peppermint smell of Spooky) and coconut start to come out. It reminds me a bit of a coconut cake I make with coconut milk as the only liquid - it has that same rich denseness about it.

Every time I catch a whif of this, it gives me little shivers of delight. Oh how I want more...

In Bottle: Buttermilk

On Skin: Obviously the first note is milk. It’s a little less sweet than Chaste Moon or Dana O’Shee, the milk has a stronger “milk” tone to it, not as creamy. I think the scent it most closely reminds me of is White Rabbit minus the tea note. It does make me thirsty for a cup of warm milk sweetened with honey, because that’s exactly what it smells like. Very relaxing, conforting and calming. I think it fits the description of “closeness of child and mother” perfectly… The milk has a buttery scent to it, and I don't smell any mint like other people have reported. I can see it smelling similar to coconut a bit, but just the coconut milk, not the standard strong artificial coconut you might be thinking. This scent is divine!

Mmmm... This is fantastic! In the bottle: BUTTER. Maybe a little bit of caramel. When I put it on the mint pops(just enough- I can't smell it in the bottle at all) and it turns a little less sweet. I used to love foody scents but the last few I 've tried have really not worked for me; this may bring me back around. This might sound wierd but this is what I would imagine butterbeer, from Harry Potter, to smell like. I get the comparison to Spooky... but I can't smell the coconut on me at all, which is unusual. And like Spooky, this one fades fast. But mmm.

Milk Moon is very true to its name. Soft and milky, the sweetness reminds me of buttercream icing. Thankfully the mint is barely noticeable and, for some odd reason, gives me the impression of suntan oil. Milk Moon seems to be a combination of Spooky and Dorian to my nose. I like this more than I thought I might, especially since I can barely detect the mint. It's quite a delicious blend :P

First sniff:

Mmm, this is the note I loved in Chaste Moon, the creamy, buttery note that I couldn't quite pin down (it smelled like butter mints, but I wasn't sure what it was since there was no butter listed in the notes). It's heavy cream and I recognize it now in Milk Moon. :D

I didn't expect to like this, but I ordered it after my surprise infatuation with Chaste Moon and it looks like I made a good choice. I'm not positive I'm in love with the honey note in here (I don't care for honey scents, generally speaking) but so far I like this quite a bit. :D

Wet on skin:

Now this smells more like milk rather than heavy cream. It's lost the buttery note that good cream has and smells weaker but still creamy. It actually has a bit of a powdered milk vibe to it rather than smelling like regular garden variety liquid milk. There's something else here, too, that has to be the lunar oils, even if I don't know what they are exactly. I can't even really say what they smell like aside from saying that there's more to this than milk and honey.

Dry down:

The heavy cream/butter note is back again and I'm loving this! This is like Chaste Moon only better, which makes me sad since I only bought one bottle thinking I wouldn't like it. The honey note doesn't even make an appearance on me once Milk Moon dries. This is pure heavy cream and it reminds me of growing up in the country and drinking warm milk fresh from the cow (hey, it may be disgusting to some people, but to me it's childhood in a bottle), complete with the layer of heavy cream floating on the top. :D

The bottom line:

Gorgeous! I didn't really expect to like this, but I'm glad I ordered this because it's love, pure and simple. I always thought I hated milky scents, but I'm really learning that I love scents with heavy cream as one of the notes. :P

In the bottle: To me, this smells like milk being heated on a stove. Like when you're making hot cocoa or chai and the milk is almost boiling. It's not a very nice smell to my nose so I'm doubting that Milk Moon and I are going to love each other. At all. There's also a slight sourness to the back of it. I suppose it could be a mint and cream scent, but I don't know.

Wet: Ugh. Still that sour, warm milk scent. My skin and milk have some problems. I don't know why I ordered this. There's a hint of the mint but the warm milk scent overpowers it.

Dry down: This is just...either it's my nose or my skin or just the way I react t this scent because it kinda makes me sick. I don't get the nice mint and cream smell. I get a wave of warm almost spoiled milk. There's the faintest hint of mint, but it doesn't make the milk smell any better on me. This blend is going to have to go. I have some bad associations with warm milk. Perhaps that's what the problem really is.

Dry: This stays true to the bottle, though. Warm, almost sour milk. Washing off. I figured it wouldn't work on me, but I had to try. Guess I'll have two lunacies up for swap/sale.

At first application, the wet Milk Moon reminded me of "Junior Mints", kinda creamy-cool-minty. When it dried, I got more coconut popping through. By the time it settled on my skin, it smelled like fresh coconut milk with the barest hint of mint for many hours.

A perfect summer scent! :P