Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss apple

Blood Pearl

BLOOD PEARL

Lustrous, sanguine, soft and lavish: soft orris, blood musk, and coconut.

In the bottle and on this is warm coconut and juicy redness; a very soft and sultry scent. The musky undertone adds depth and there's a floral hint as well. Sexy and understated, Blood Pearl is pure deliciousness in a bottle :P

This doesn't smell much different on my skin than it does in the bottle. Very, very, very, light, almost impossible to smell, it's red-smelling musk topped with a sprinkling of coconut. Predictably, this is similar to Black Pearl, but without the suntan lotion vibe that Black Pearl can have, and also without the strong floral component.

On drydown, something very slightly woody smelling comes out. Is that the orris? *has no clue what orris is*

I like it a lot but I just wish I could actually smell it! It's actually sort of sexy, in an extremely soft way, and reminds me of something else besides Black Pearl...will update if I figure it out. It's quite pretty and amazing if you're looking for a skin scent that doesn't actually smell like skin. This will be excellent for the summer, since it partially has the 'vibe' of heavier scents but none of the potential to overwhelm you.

Overall, a very light but extremely well-blended, sensual scent.

[edit] I've figured it out! AH! Something in here in a very strange way reminds me of my beloved aged Velvet, once it dries down completely.

Edited by luxuria

This reminds me of a Chaos Theory that I swapped for. Unfortunately, I didn't like that either, and I'm thinking my chemistry is just evil.

Blood Pearl is dry and has a ton of throw -- there really is no sweet, just kind of a burned, sick, driness that lingers and lingers and --

It also reminds me a lot of Black Pearl, again, which I didn't like that much.

Thankfully this is not as floral as Black Pearl. It's more dark and spicy, which will be the red musk. The coconut adds a sweet softness, without being overpowering. It doesn't really smell very coconutty (as in suntan lotion coconut), but rather soft and almost powdery. I think I like it. :P

Blood Pearl barely has any throw on my skin, so even with slathering it's hard to pick out notes. There's definitely coconut, and perhaps a touch of dragon's blood resin, but unlike other reviewers, I can't detect any musk (which my body chemistry usually loves to amp up). The orris note is also nowhere to be found as my skin seems to have buried it under the coconut.

I was hoping that Blood Pearl would be a edgier, muskier version of Black Pearl, but unfortunately that dream didn't come true. Hopefully someone else will have better luck with my imp.

Edited by tempete

First Impression: Strong, floral, soapy orris.

Second Impression: Add orris to the list right behind vetiver. It has overtaken any musk and coconutty goodness in this blend and never let my two loves shine. Not even for a second.

Final Analysis: Devastation. Orris hates me.

Oh god, I love this, I can't stop sniffing this on my skin. While wet I almost thought it was too floral but on my skin it becomes more than skin, if that makes any sense. The wood plays hide and seek with the musk in a way that reminds me of the incense that I associate with trips back to China, I think it's the orris. This has a really long throw which is usually a problem for me because my skin soaks up oil.

Utterly gorgeous. :P

this smells exactly like Black Pearl did on me. o.O i like it though. i may try both on later to see if there is a difference...or if my body chemistry has decided they should smell the same.

this one has better staying power though.

edit: i tried blood pearl again and while it does still smell very similar to black pearl, it's definitely got a deeper, richer smell to it...and again, i found that it had much stronger staying power. i may need a 5mL of this one :P

Edited by angel sixgun

Origin - imp, fresh from the lab.

Wet - primarily orris.

Dry - still primarily orris. This is very powdery on my skin, and both the coconut and musk seem to be hiding. This goes from powdery orris to pure baby powder, which granted, isn't a huge leap. I keep waiting for my beloved coconut to come out and play. but it never makes an appearance. I thought I liked orris, but this is so powdery and strong, that I fear it may be like amber; something I like but cannot wear. Off to the swap pile with this one.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 1.

Blood Pearl

In the imp: interesting. it's got a sweet, iris like smell which is also dry, and there's coconut there too.

Wet on skin: there's a lovely sweet iris-coconut smell, similar to Black Pearl, but without the hazelnut. It's quite nice, actually.

Dry on skin: the dry iris/orris smell becomes smooth and powdery (no bad thing) and there's a hint of coconut there. I can't smell the musk yet, but there's a hint of cherry-ish red resin that is probably dragon's blood. But there's a smell there that's quite dusty.

After a while: I'm not sure if it's the orris or musk that's causing this but there's a soft powdery smell now, and it's so sweet and comforting, I think that's the coconut. Mmm.

After a few hours...hello musk! Oh, I love this musk, it's sexy. :P

Verdict: this is like a drier, more powdery variant of Black Pearl. This is really nice, it's a soft, slightly dusty, light iris-like scent with a sweet coconutty smell, with a hint of dragon's blood. It's a lovely smell, but I prefer the cool, lush delicate musky sweetness of Black Pearl. But I love the musky drydown after a few hours...

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I love Black Pearl and was eager to try her new sister, Blood Pearl.

In the vial~Yummy coconut. Not the same as Black Pearl, there's a softer quality about it. It's not as tropical. When I wear Black Pearl I think of pirates and the open sea, but I don't get that one with this blend.

Wet~Same coconutty goodness. I like.

Dry~Blood Pearl has dried to a soft understated coconut. Even though I like Black Pearl better, I wouldn't mind having a 5ml of this one as well.

:D :D :D :P I will definitely put it on my big bottle list.

I love coconut as I discovered with Black Pearl, so I was really excited to see this blend.

In the bottle all I smell is coconut. It smells exactly like Black Pearl.

Wet on the skin the coconut jumps out, just like I hoped. I love this already. It is very strong, next time I will have to put less on, thats how much throw this has.

Dry down...this gets lovlier and sexier. The orris and musk comes out but it mixes very nicely with the coconut.

Glad I bought a 5ml of this blind.

Blood Pearl is rather sweet in the bottle. On my skin, the musk makes an appearance. But, buried in the musk, there is definately a floral smell (maybe the orris?). I can only smell a hint of coconut.

It's a subtle scent, not overpowering at all.

Ah, wait, the coconut is making more of an appearance now. I like this one. :P

ADDED June 21:

I'm wearing this again today, and wearing more of it, too. I have placed what it reminds me of. A warm kitchen, on a summer's day, with the scent of flowers coming from outside, and some sort of fruit cake is cooking in the oven. It is rather lazy and comforting. :D

Eeep, my first review!

(well, the first I post, anyway)

- In imp: Mmmm, interesting. A little sweet, a little red flowers, a little freshness. Not bad!

- On skin: Yum! A warm, rich scent which reminds me a lot of Living Flame, with a little less amber and something a bit sharper mixed in.

- 5 mins: Hm, very nice. Still a lot like LF but less sweet - there's something else there I can't place, something dark. Could be the orris, or the blood musk.

- 30 mins: Still very nice. Some sandalwood too perhaps? There's something firm and strong here, not quite dangerous, but it could be, if it wasn't held in check by the amber. I might need a 5 ml of this...

- 1 hour: all in all, it's quite similar to LF but less friendly and comforting, a bit more stern and wily. It's rather powerful and heavy, with a good throw and staying power, but it also has a gentle, sweet side to it.

- 4 hours: Still quite a lot of scent left. It goes well with sweat, too, which came in handy the day I tested it. Theoretically, I would have thought it too heavy for warm weather, but in pratice it mingles nicely and doesn't get overwhelming.

All in all, I think this warrants a bottle. It's warm and spicy but not too heavy, a little floral and ever so slightly fruity. Not cute sweet little white flowers, but big, lucscious, sultry red flowers. The fruit - ripe grapes, perhaps, purple and swollen and juicy in the summer sun? There is an almost serious undertone, too, which carries the sweeter notes and gives it an interesting edge.

Edited by Hedera

Blood Pearl: This is the sister of Black Pearl of Course, Very nice. The Musk and Orris blend in well with the coconut to keep it from smelling like streight coconut tanning oil. After 20 min it gets more woody and sweet. A definite keeper. :P

Ah, in a BPAL world of notes that often elude me, orris is one I can always spot! Orris is that transluscent white floral note with glimmers of lavendar and aqua swirled in. Or maybe I'm just hung up on pearl imagery.

Anyway, in the bottle Blood Pearl smells very similar to Black Pearl: the dreamy scent of orris splashed across coconut. I love it, but I was curious as to what the difference would be between the two. Once applied, I found out. The red musk warms the other notes. I wouldn't have thought that possible, since I think of orris and coconut as cooler, but sure enough, there it is. Unfortunately, red musk turns to static (weird, but that's the only way I can describe the phenomenon) on me, just as it does in Scherezade.

Final call: Black Pearl is still the orris pick for me. For those that find that too cool or flowery, however, I think Blood Pearl will be right on. It adds a darker, warmer note that I think will work well for a lot of folk.

this was a frimp from the lab & I don't think I would have ordered it! but it's delicious, absolutely lovely. not too coconutty, but soft and warm. I would buy a bottle in a flash, but I've already got (& love) blood amber & I don't think I need both. I've passed my imp along to a friend but I'll def. consider buying a big bottle when I use my blood amber up.

delicious. thankyou lab :P

btw - am wondering how different 'blood musk' is to red musk? because red musk usually goes to powder on me.... but didn't notice this with blood pearl

This was a freebie imp from the Lab. I'm always willing to try freebies, even if it's "Eau de Piss" or something. You never know when you'll be surprised.

Blood Pearl, in the bottle and initially on my skin, smells a bit like Mr Bubble. It's like coconut and dragon's blood bubble bath. :::splashy splashy!::: I don't know if this oil has anything similar to Megaera (the old formulation, I think, because wasn't it revamped?), but that, too smelled like Mr Bubble.

After a while, however, the Mr Bubble popped off, leaving me with an interestingly mature scent with a hint of sweetness. I don't really get much coconut, just the "blood musk." Oddly, there's a hind of something soapy in the background, so maybe Mr Bubble is sneaking around in a new form.

About twenty minutes into what I'd like to call "The Blood Pearl Experience," the fragrance morphed into soapyness, then to muskyness with a slightly sweet twinkle in its eye. This smells now like really sexy guy sweat, with none of the salty onion connotations. It's Sweat of the Immaculate! Or perhaps a natural, skin-like scent, with a wee hint of incense lurking in the background. It gets stronger as the scent dries down, but Blood Pearl itself doesn't ring that strong to me (but then again I could be wearing my nose out by shoving my little elbow-pit into it every five minutes or so).

My word, wait a minute... I think it's coconut incense! The coconut appears, and it is a grand thing, indeed!

I may not wear this, however I may give this to my Squeeze to try. He liked the Black Pearl I plopped in his bag of imps, which was an earth-shattering revelation as he's not inclined towards fragrance oils or anything. I think Blood Pearl may also make a fantastic room scent.

In any case, I'll hold onto the imp for now. It's very interesting, and the drydown is my favourite part. It's so weird how some scents go through this whole odyssey on my skin through a whole range of changes.

-doreen

edited because I can't spell, and it still looks weird.

Edited by feline.by.design

Blood Pearl

In Bottle: Smells very soapy, with a hint of sweetness.

Wet, On Skin: Gently twisted floral scent. The upper part of my nose tastes hand soap. I wonder what orris smells like.

1.5 Hours on Skin: It's turned quite soft and sweet. Definitely a dry scent. It smells like my grandmother, but a little hipper than she is. As I sniff my wrist, I suddenly get the image of a silver letter opener lying in a velvet box. It's turned surprisingly nice. The soap scent is almost gone.

Drydown: Very soft, and now it definitely smells like my Grandma.

Conclusion: Nice scent, but it smells too much like my grandmother to wear it now. Maybe in fifty years!

Edited by sun_set_bravely

When I first smelt this one, I figured, "Hmmm...not too bad, maybe I'll smell it again later". Once later came, I wasn't impressed. It smelt like dishwashing liquid. No way I'm going further than sniffing. Needless to say, this one is not for me. 1/10.

i might have liked this one if it weren't for the blasted coconut which never fails but to turn into a burnt rubber band on me.....WAH!!! :P

why oh why must it be that way?

i do get touches of floral ... here and there...but the coconut just won't make this a workable scent.....

:D

This one smells really weird out of the bottle. Incensey and floral.

It's pretty strong when first applied. It smells like grape koolaid and dragon's blood resin. It has a bitter edge to it that is both appealling and slightly off. I was on the fence because of that. I really don't smell the coconut in this stage.

Once this one dries, it really smoothes out. The blood musk is really beautiful. It's musky dragon's blood (but not at all like Dragon's Musk). I have no idea what orris smells like but Blood Pearl does have a heavy foral edge to it that is smooth and subtle...a backdrop, if you will. The coconut isn't terribly strong to my nose, but I think the creaminess is coming from it.

The drydown is so beautiful. I wasn't sure about Blood Pearl at first, but now I want a big bottle. It still has that grape koolaid thing going on, but the presence of the coconut really keeps it from getting too tart.

This was a scent I was wanting to try, but hadn't got to order yet. Thank you lab for including this in my last order! I really like Black Pearl so I was interested in comparing Blood Pearl.

On me, I'm not sure if my skin is just amping up the musk, but that's pretty much all I'm smelling. Maybe a bit of the orris as well. Unfortunately no coconut, which sucks because I love Beth's coconut!

I do like this although it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I'm definitely keeping the imp but just wish the coconut would come out and play!

Smooth luscious, reminds me quite a bit of Black Pearl. A lovely red, incesey musky base topped with smooth coconut creme. Yum, love it love it! Good on both sexes, a very alluring, sexually charged scent. :P

A frimp from the lab. Blood Pearl has one of my favourite notes - orris. I love orris in most things. I love its dryness. I really didn't smell much coconut, and the musk was playing a subtle understudy role. This was very low key on me - it stayed close to home and didn't really "waft" much.