Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss apple

Blood Pearl

Lustrous, sanguine, soft and lavish: soft orris, blood musk, and coconut.

In the imp: Coconut tinged with something else. I don't know which it is, just that it's there, on the edge of the coconut.

Wet on skin: So whether it's the orris or the blood musk, something's darkening and thinning out the coconut.

Dried down: Really soft coconut. The scent does give me the impression of a dark pink pearl.

Throw: Not a whole lot, but I think my nose is starting to burn out a little after all the scents I've tried tonight.

Verdict: *** 1/* I actually do like this, but surprisingly, not as much as I thought I would. I think I'm not as fond of the other notes darkening up the coconut. Maybe if it were more of a hint of coconut brightening the other notes? Oh well.

This is a soft, sweet, delicate scent on me, both sensual and intensely comforting, like cuddling with your SO on a lazy summer day. The coconut is probably the most prominent note, but it's not a particularly foody coconut, more rounded and subtle. The musk really grounds and makes it more... personal, if that makes sense, not a straight-up tropical scent but something warm and appealing and close to the skin, something I could see myself wearing any time of year.

so far, this is the only BPAL perfume with coconut that doesn't turn to harsh plastic on my skin - the coconut ruined black pearl for me. as for blood pearl, in the bottle, it is sweet and syrupy. on wet, it is still sweet smelling, tinged with salty sea (orris?). dry, it is a great coconut-blood musk mix. dark, yet soft and sweet at the same time. this was a winner for me.

In the imp: The powdery orris note is the strongest note in the imp, followed by the blood musk.

Wet: The blood musk note is stronger on my skin, but the orris is still pretty strong to my nose. While I do smell the coconut, it isn't as prominent as the other two notes. It's mainly musky orris.

Dry: Super musky orris. I am pretty sure the blood musk note has something cherry-like in it, and the orris reminds me of baby powder... so it's like musky baby powder on me.

Much later: Now I smell like musky violets. D:

Verdict: Definitely not for me.

At first, this is tangy blood over a musk base with sweet coconut. Then orris in this goes slightly play-doh sweet on me, powdery and artificial and overpowers everything else.

In Imp: Light amber color. Clean, sweet, powdery

Wet: Sweet honey? Soft flower, light sweet oil

Dry: Something woodsy, powder. Hint of jasmine? Some kind of creamy dessert hand lotion. Yum. I really like this. It is very light though. It’s one of my favorite so far. Coconutty. I may have to get a full bottle.

In the vial: super sweet coconut, with a tinge of something dark.

On the skin: Yikes. This went instant baby powder on me. Which is sad, because I've been looking for something with proper coconut in it. Bugger. To the swaps pile.

Mostly blood musk and orris, I was hoping for more coconut, but I don't detect any at all. It's a pretty musk scent, but I was hoping for something more "beachy". Has a decent throw. I only dabbed two tiny dots and it's a bit overwhelming. Sadly not for me.

I had to try this, because coconut, and also blood musk. Sadly though, it's all orris on me, and orris and I aren't friends. I do smell the coconut as well, but I just can't get past that orris.

The coconut-iris in Black Pearl was terrible on me, and red musk is one of my worst. Although I love coconut in other things, I have rather low hopes for this free sample.

Wet on my skin: Strange. I smell the iris and coconut, but this isn't as musky as I anticipated. The "blood musk" smells to me more like dragon's blood, with its red-fruity note. Maybe it is -- I'd supposed that blood musk was a flavor-text way of saying red musk.

Dry: Dragon's blood musk, or whatever this is, is less objectionable on my skin than red musk. But this is still too powdery: orris is a miss on me more often than a hit.

Major pass.

Ooh. What a fancy ass perfume this is on me. from the imp I got more of a this-is-exactly-like-the-cheap-perfumes-in-drugstores vibe which worried me a little, but otherwise this comes close to the "black pearl" family for me. That, add in some blood musk and ta-dah.

This is a little more fuzzy on me (perhaps thanks to the orris), and while I'm still not a fan of coconut, it's again a lovely, interesting blend.

In the imp: musky and a little spicy.

Wet: this smells like dragon's blood. Like lightly cherry-toned, and almost too sweet. The orris is probably not helping, it always goes weirdly sweet on me.

Dry: Oddly I kind of like it. The blood musk gets spicier, and though its's still cherry-esque I don't mind. The orris is smooth and powdery in a pleasant way surprisingly. I didn't think I was going to like this at all given the orris. I get just a little creamy coconut underneath. It doesn't feel in-your-face tropical to me, but I could see wearing it to the beach!

Wet: sexy coconut with the orris making it seem even more tropical, with a slight wood note.

Drydown: coconut fading into the background, turning more into a tropical musk. So good!

Dry: I think I amp the musk, and I'm thinking the orris is reminding me of the plumeria flowers from Hawaii, perhaps with the help of the coconut. This is like plumeria from B&BW, except without that oversweetness or the weird tinge of being "too much". Or perhaps, B&BW Coconut Cream, but for grownups.

Imp: the soft orris with faint touches of a sweetness and blood
Wet on Me: getting the sweetness of the coconut
Drying Down: the coconut is being tempered form becoming too sweet by the orris.
Dry: nice. powdery orris and coconut. glad I tried it but probably gonna put it in the trade/sell pile!

There's a definite coconut milk scent coming up for me, with something I can only describe as 'Parma violets' (a candy we get in the UK)
It dries into a comforting, warm, coconut/incense/floral... if this was a color it would be burgundy. The scent stays close to the skin.
It makes me just want to curl up into a ball and forget the world, but maybe that says more about my state currently than this perfume! Still, I think it would help me settle into some down-time.

Overall it's nice, I might think about getting a bottle, will have to wear it a few more times to see if it grows on me a little more.

Soft, sweet coconut and a smooth musk. The coconut comes out more on the drydown, but the orris gives it a creamy quality. It's a little dusty and strange, but definitely one for the coconut lovers out there.

Mostly it's a v balanced mix of orris, coconut and musk so much so it's hard to pick out the individual components but unfortunately Elizabeth's orris is death on my skin which amps that carroty earthy aspect so that it overpowers everything. To others that aspect is interpreted as "woody" but to my nose it smells like sour sick, I'm not sure why. Well at least I know I can't wear any BPALs with orris in it. Orris from other brands seems not to turn on my skin this way. 

In the imp: oh god Orris root or violet. Like nose wrinkling bad. Not notes I love

Wet: nothing. Then restrained orris. It’s not the worst on me but I don’t enjoy it either

Dry: musky orris. And a floral, maybe rose? I'm guessing that's trying to be the coconut, or something that makes up blood musk.

This isn’t ‘meat violet’ but this isn’t a blend I -like- either so it’s in the enabling bag even before notes

This is a nice blend of "violet" and musk. There is just the slightest hint of smoky coconut as well. The orris, being an iris root, isn't a floral, but gives it those violet vibes. No powderiness here, just a tiny bit of soap. I'm going to guess that the musk is red. Fun stuff, I can see why some people would like it. I don't love it however.