Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A crystalline, cold green fire: six mints with white pepper and cucumber.

(my first review, woo!)

I really wish I had bought two bottles of this.

The mint is the first thing to hit the nose when I put this on. As it dried down, though, the cucumber just sort of appeared - without being overbearing (which is something I absolutely hate about a lot of cuke scented potions). With the pepper to add a little bite to the whole thing, it was absolutely lovely on my skin. Cool and clean, without being too powerful.

Did I mention that I should've bought another bottle? :P

Easily one of my top 10 - and top 3 for this summer.

Next time the voice says "you need this vs Kingsport" - do NOT ORDER THE KINGSPORT.

That'd be a lesson. :P

Imp: Minty!

Wet: Wickedly cool crisp cucumber.

Dry: Minted cucumber.

Impression: *wrist gnaw*

Verdict: I am oh so sad I didn't order this, but will treasure my imp deeply.

(Don't reckon anyone's got a bottle that doesn't work for em do they? :D

minty minty mint! the cuke doesn't really scream out (an aura of general_fruit in the back, if you will), nor does the white pepper. it's just the ultimate mint. sadly, i'm usually not in the mood to smell minty, and this doesn't last as long as other minty scents (like shattered). it's very lovely, though. i'm going to keep it for my car, i think, because mint's such an eye-opening scent that it'll be good to commute in a minty car. and, of course, on those hot sweltering days that i need to cool down, i'll probably grab some tulzscha to wear.

Tulzcha smells a LOT like Blue Moon. In the bottle, it's a slightly watery candy mint...like the mint you find in Junior Mints and Andes :D on my skin the cucumber shows up--fresh and watery and bright in that mellow cucumbery way :D I think I can smell the white pepper hear...it adds a slightly spicy "texture," like the blend is tweaking you on the nose and laughing merrily. It's beautiful and PERFECT for summer :P

In the bottle

Yes indeedy, mint, white pepper, and lightly cucumbery in the background.

On

Oh mother of God, this is good. It's less perfumey than Blue Moon, and along the line of Undertow quite a bit. It's that kind of icy that actually goes down into my lower lungs and stomach and I can feel it in my stomach the minute I put it on. Wow this is nice.

30 minutes

Stays the same as when I first put it on. This has got some good staying power too.

Throw:

A bit more than average.

Scent category:

Herbal/foody

Summary

It's what everyone wants in a mint, it's not a sweet mint, it's powerfully bright and yes, seething. I like all the steely, burning, minty blends like "Pain" and "Undertow" and this blend is no exception. It's quite powerful acting on me.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Initial Sniff: MINT!! There is a spicy kick of pepper in the background.

Wearing: This is very minty at first, but as others have said, the mint quickly fades into a lovely sweet, fresh, slightly peppery scent. This does not have great staying power.

Final Impressions: So refreshing on a muggy day!!

In the bottle: minty tea

Wet: minty tea. Vaguely Frost Moon, but hopefully without the evilness FM had on me.

Drydown: This is just...odd. Mint (and lots of it :P ), cucumber (a bit too much for my liking) and white pepper (which I love). Hrm, you would think 2 out of 3 would be good but this cucumber is REALLY strong on me.

This mellows out to a lovely creamy mint, a hint of spiciness and the evil huge take-over-the-world cucumber and then disappears almost completely, leaving the mint cuke in it's wake. Bumification, I really wanted to love this.

I waffled for a long time before ordering this. There were five SIA scents that I really wanted to try initially and Tulzscha kept wandering up and down the ladder of those five, until I finally said, hey, you - in the cart with the 13.

What an awesome decision. Frankly, I think I would rather have another bottle of this, than the 13.

This is an absolutely perfect minty scent. Not sweet at all, it is deep and herbal and like Whipporwhil (which never did make it into the cart, darn it), is wonderfully evocative of Western Massachusetts in Spring and Summer for me - which is exactly what Springtime in Arkham should evoke.

I love the fact that this is minty and cucumbery and peppery, but yet not foody - it is green and herbal and outdoorsey. In the bottle, it is sharp, but I do not get the OMG MINT! that some folks have. I get something very similar to what has been on my skin all morning...a wonderful mix of all of these smellsthat makes me want to put on some hiking boots and get into the foot hills and the brambles. I just wish I'd put more of it on this morning...

In the bottle: This was one that I debated buying for awhile because mint usually doesn't care for me. Yet I wanted to smell it, esp. because I like the scent of cucumber in things such as cucumber melon, etc. And this has a very cooling, cucumber smell that is backed up by the mint. It is a mixture of mint, though, but it still remains calm and soothing rather than overwhelming. I get a little of the pepper as a cold, spice in the background. As long as this doesn't go funky on my skin, I think I'll like it a lot.

Wet: Mint. Once it hits my skin the mint wants to dominate. Peppermint it smells like. But, yeah, mostly mint while wet though the throw is slightly more cucumber. I was hoping that this would be a nice cool, cucumber summer blend. If it stays mostly mint, I might not want to keep it.

Dry down: Mint and the pepper, which is a very nice scent, really. It takes the edge off the mint and makes it seem more blunted. Rounded. But the mint remains the strongest scent so far. It's not that I don't like mint scents. I do. I just don't love them. I have/had a few. I simply don't seem to reach for them much. I do like the spicy cucumber throw of this, but it comes and goes rather than being strong for long periods of time. And the skin smell is still that blunted mint I was talking about earlier. This is a cool, cool blend, though. I find myself looking for cool blends, esp. when it's so freaking hot outside. But I'm not falling in love with these mints even though they do wonder to cool me down with their scent alone. And now the cucumber begins to peak out on the skin. Very nice. This is such a light scent. Hmm...mint again but with more of the cucumber in there with it. I like this, but I wonder how often I'll reach for it. I think the mixture of mint and cucumber is a fantastic idea, and Beth has done it better than most could, I'm sure. I think this might be one of those that grows on me rather than is immediately loved.

Dry: This is pale green ice fire. Cold and calming. Mint blunted by both the pepper and the cucumber to form a mellow, icy scent that I do not immediately love but is something to cool me down on days that are too hot. I'm gonna keep this around to test some more so I can see whether it really is me or not.

In the imp: Cool peppermint. Mmmm....

Wet: Cool, fresh peppermint over an aquatic background.

Drydown: The pepper never really comes out and that's fine as pepper tends to make me sneeze. But I can smell the faintest cucumber lingering close to my skin. It softens the peppermint, lessening the chilly edge I'm used to.

Final thoughts: This is very pretty. I completely understand the comparison to Frost Moon. It doesn't have quite the same buttery note that Frost Moon did, but it's still very nice.

I'm sad to say that the pepper never comes out for me in this blend (I'd kill for something that smells like pure black pepper, lol). I don't really like mint, but I was hoping that this would dry down into a mostly cucumber and pepper blend.

At first this is nice cool spearmint. Spearmint is my favorite of mints, so it wasn't too bad. Then the cucumber lingers and offers up a nice clean wet smell in the background of the mint.

Then it goes weird and smells like wild onions on me :P. I've worn Tulzscha 3 times now (light and slathered on like mad) and it always goes to this faint wild onions scent on me. It's weird and I don't really want to smell like onions. Throughout the day it changes from wild onions to cucumber to wild onions and back. It's great as cucumber, weird and sort of sickening with the onion.

This is probably going to be another SiA blend that I decant away for the most part.

Origin:

Imp from brandileigh. :D

Preconceived notions:

I waffled over this one right up until the moment the SIA oils were removed from the site because while I love white pepper and like mint quite a bit and have an unexpected (for me, I mean) fondness for Blue Moon (which sounds similar), I was worried about the cucumber and the comparisons to Frost Moon, so I'm curious and not quite sure what to expect. :D

First sniff:

Soft, watery mint. Somehow I'm sure that the wateriness comes from the cucumber even though I can't actually smell it. The mints remind me of Ultraviolet - cold and almost glowing smelling somehow. So far this is nice, although I was hoping for a stronger pepper component.

Wet on skin:

Whoa, that's stronger now! The mint really amps up once it hits my skin and the cucumber comes out in full force without any warning. There's a tiny bit of pepper here, too, but still not as much as I was hoping for. This is very pretty, though, cold and glowing smelling and refreshing somehow. This would make a great summer or winter scent. :D

Dry down:

Cucumber and pepper. The mint seems to have gone MIA, but the pepper is coming through much more strongly now that it's gone. I actually really like this in spite of my dislike of cucumber (as a general rule, sometimes I like it) and now I'm regretting not getting a bottle. I had a feeling this was going to happen, but hindsight is 20/20. :P

The bottom line:

Chilly and glowing at first and then summery but cool on the drydown. Beautiful and very unusual! I only wish I'd gotten a bottle when I had the chance.

This was the last SIA that I ordered, as an afterthought, because I rather like mint. Not sure if I wanted a TON of mint, but still, in the summer it can be refreshing.

In the bottle: mostly peppermint, very strong, and that isthe main minty note that I get. I applied it to both my right and left wrists...

Left wrist: it immediately turns into a sort of toothpastey smell. Mostly spearmint, I guess. I'm not as fond of this morph as it kind of makes my teeth hurt and I'm reminded of the dentist's office.

Right wrist: it goes to cucumber, instead! This is a very nice peppermint and cucumber scent, very refreshing and it practically sparkles. It makes me think of a little of rubbing a freshly broken stalk of aloe on myself, too.

I like the right wrist better, I can't imagine why it's different on each wrist!

I think I like it, I don't know if I'd wear it a lot because of the dentist's office associations but enough to try it out this summer on hot days like today!

Not much to add on Tulzscha: cold green fire, a nice progression from mint to cucumber/pepper. Cool and humid night air, just a bit of earth at the back.

The flickering flame sensation also adds to the atmosphere.

In the bottle: sweetish mint with something else lurking behind it.

On the skin: Yeah, mint, and the lurking something, but I'm getting a definite toothpaste vibe. It's not strictly unpleasant, but at the same time it is: who wants to smell like toothpaste? No mint scent has ever done this before, and I love my mint, so I'm not giving up.

A little later: Slightly peppered cucumber with a wee bit of mint poking in the background. I guess that's the lurking something; it grounded the scent and, oddly enough, kept it more gender-neutral. I like this. I'm not getting a belching fire vibe, but more of the kind of scent you wear at twilight during summer nights. Summer is still here, so I'm going to take advantage of that! :P

Received an imp courtesy of the lovely LunaSea:

In the bottle Tulzscha is very strong pure mint, no sweetness at all, sharp and eye-opening. As its drys the cucumber comes out and it reminds me strongly of the cucumber mojito's served at Zengo (a local Denver joint). Overall Tulzcha is refreshing (nice for our hot weather recently) but I think I would rather have a bath gel or a body spray (kept in the fridge) with this scent then using it as a pure fragrance.

Smells like wrigley's spearmint gum fresh out of the wrapper. Mint, mint, and more mint. A very light green, strong, burn your sinuses out type of scent. Unfortunately, mints are just not for me, and this one gives me a headache. I will find my bottle a home where he will be well appreciated.

Mmm...wet, this is minty and fresh with just a hint of cucumber.

It was great for awhile, but after a few hours it went from yummy freshness, to a sort of powdery mint that I didn't enjoy.

Still, the wet stage and first couple hours are lovely enough that I will happily reapply throughout the day just to enjoy it. I'm glad I have a 5ml, since this is such a great scent for icky hot weather.

I'm surprised I didn't review this before!

In bottle, it's pretty much the same as everyone else has been saying. I thought of Spearmint, Peppermint and even Winter Green. Just wonderful!

On skin, it's the same. In fact, it's cool on my neck. Very nice. The scent is still minty, only it becomes more leathery smelling. Doesn't seem to last long compared to some of the other scents, but it had a nice, strong throw. Very nice.

It's phoenominal in the burner. Just pure Spearmint with a slight leathery scent. YAY!

As you can see, this one is one of my favorites. While there are a couple of other scents that do better with me, this one holds its own just fine. 9/10.

Tulzcha is beautifully simple: mint starts out fresh and bright, reflecting my noses attention away from anything else that might be underneath.

The mint effervesces away, and the pepper pings forth lightly. After the pepper, the cucumber lies patiently and remains the mellow substance of the remaining scent.

It's lovely.

What a great scent for summer- cool, refreshing, stimulating. My Tulz(s)cha also has great throw- I can smell the gorgeous mint wafting around my space. It's a tingly sort of smell... light and green. It makes me feel cooler just by the smell.

I am imagining mixing this into a light summer lotion :> It mingles nicely with citrus scents as well. Mmmm.

This is what I imagined Numb should smell like, because this really beats the summer heat.

As much as I was intrigued by the cucumber in this blend, I passed on ordering a bottle because of the mints. Never before has a mint blend worked on my skin-- I get five minutes of bliss, then nausea until I wash it off. I was apprehensive, and only recently did I swap for an imp of Tulzcha.

What a mistake. Tulzcha is absolutely wonderful. The mint is something like spearmint, which is refreshing without being nauseating. The cucumber soothes it out, and it's a lovely blue-green scent that cools the skin. This is perfect for sticky summer days, and if I get the chance to swap for a bottle, I certainly will.

Lovely mint! I was worried, as spearmint makes me sick both the taste and smell, but I can smell it over the other mints, yay!

The cucumber is there as well, but it's mainly a complex peppermint smell on me. I use peppermint oil on my forehead for the cooling effect when I have a headache so I find the scent very relaxing. I'll have to compare it to my other favorite mint scent, Shattered.

Overall, I'm sad I only have 2/3 a bottle, but I'm keeping it!

Edited by rosered

Tulzscha

In the imp: cool, sweet mint and cucumber.

Wet on skin: oooh, fresh, tingly, cool mint, with cucumber.

Dry on skin: this is a nose-tingling, cold, fresh, sweet mint with cool, watery cucumber and maybe the slightest hint of pepper. It feels lovely and cool on the skin too, as well as on the nose!

After a while: hey, this is cool as a cucumber! The mint is still there, although more subdued, but the cucumber scent strengthens. I can't believe it still feels cold against my skin, even though it's now really dry.

It stays cool for about an hour, before that sensation fades and still leaves a cucumber scent and something slightly reminiscent of the minty-moss scent of Cathode.

Verdict: a cold rush of mint, mint and more mint with cucumber. It's sweet mint, reminiscent of mint sweets like Polo and various chewing gums, with the wet freshness of cucumber, and the barest hint of pepper. This is a very nice smell for summer, like today-it's really, really hot and this scent is perfect for this kind of weather as it really cools the skin as well as the nose! I quite like it, and though I do prefer Undertow and Cathode as my minty-fresh scents, I think I'll keep the decant I have of it.

Ohhhh! Such a chilly scent! ^^

This is definilty all mint...I can't detect any other note, it's just pure mint to me.

I didn't think I'd like this one..mint usually turns sour on my skin, but this one is actually really nice. It makes me smell sweet, like a candy cane.

I love this! Too bad it's discontinued, I'd love to have a larger bottle of this :P

***Edit***

Ok, after wearing this for one day I have to say I'm in LOVE with this scent. This is beautiful on my skin and I've already received a compliment "You always smell SO good!" ^^ lol

Edited by CourtneyLynne