Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!

The first time I tried this, it smelled like someone had tossed a dirty nappy under a jasmine bush. Yikes. I figured it was just a time of the month thing, so I'm giving it another go now, about a week and a half later.

In the imp, it's very strong, and there's still the hint of something disturbingly fecal. Wet on my skin, it's pretty much kiwi, jasmine, and poop. It does become a bit more pleasant as it dries, it softens up considerably and the jasmine doesn't dominate so much (which is nice, because it was starting to make me nauseous, it got quite cloying). I get a bit of tea and peony, which is quite pretty, but it fades all too quickly and the whole thing's over in an hour or two. The initial scent is so overpowering, I don't find it worth battling through to smell good for half an hour. Definitely not a scent for me.

The first time I smelled this it was from sniffing someone else's bottle at a meet and sniff. The impression I got from that one was: flowers. From my bottle I get: fruit. Lots of juicy fruit. Then the jasmine comes out and then a bit of the pink pepper. I never noticed any of the musk. They must be extra light. Overall it's pretty, feminine, soft, light, and pink. Nice.

My first impression:

Mike and Ikes candies!!!

but wetter, juicier. so sweet and colorful and fruity. this really is a happy scent.

as it dries the sweet florals come through to cut the fruitiness down a bit.

dusty flowers? something makes my nose tingle a bit.

a very interesting blend. not something i'd wear everyday, but when i need a pick me up i'll reach for it. i recommend wearing it on gloomy days. it's such a bright scent you'll forget the sun isn't even shining.

In the vial: Like tropical fruit.

On me: It went straight to flowers, and not good smelling flowers either. I don't know if it's the jasmine or the peony, but something is not working. After about an hour later, I get the slight tropical fruit smell again and then shortly after it's good completely.

Overall: I was dissappointed. I really hate my chemistry. However, Pink Moon smells just like what I expected Mi-Go to be, so yay!

First impression- fruit salad with extra mango- yumm-

On the skin- Fruit disapeared once dry, replaced by flowers :P, powder and ?black pepper? ... oh my...

Way to floral for me :D

ADDED Nov. 11:

I agree with the above discription... fruity cow poop. *eww*

I'm getting my BS in animal science and spend a good bit of time at the University farm... Mi-Go smells like someone making fruit salad on a Dairy Farm!

Mango and orange notes mixed with musty, half-digested hay notes. Very unsettling.

I do love the squishy brain though... it's too cute.

This one is off to the swap pile with it's cousin, Numb.

I'm pretty new to BPAL, so this was my first big miss. I recieved a bottle of this in a swap, and I fully expected to love it, but I didn't.

In the bottle, I got the smell of jolly ranchers that had been rolled in dirt. There was just this awful, dirty smell to it that gave me a headache. However, my skin tends to morph scents, so I tried it on. Whoa, pepper and dirt! The fruity smell was gone, and I was left with dirty pepper. Very unfortunate.

In the bottle: Ew! Cow dung.

Applied: Fruity cow dung at first. There’s a bit of a buttery floral underneath that comes out after a few minutes and then predominates, with a little sweetness. I can faintly identify what I formerly thought was poop, but it’s not dominant anymore—it does, however, still lend kind of an edge to the scent—it kind of plays with your mind. Is it nice? Is it horrible? I don’t know! I guess this is probably an appropriate effect for a scent named after a brain transporter.

LOVE the sticky brain, though. I am having fantasies about throwing this onto people’s faces during class.

On a scale from 1 to 5: 2

This scent makes me smile. Its very very light and fruity. I smell a lot of the mango and kiwi, mixed in with a lot of pineapple.

I think what I like the most about it is that it is fruity and bright but doesn't smell like its an actual fragrance.

It smells like you just made fruit salad, then dumped the juice on your head.

Wet -- Over-ripe fruit and sweet flowers, rather overpowering. This reminds me of being a little girl, when I had a "make your own perfume blends" kit for kids. No matter which scents you mixed together, it always smelled exactly like this! Even as a kid, I thought it was too sweet and slightly sickening.

Drydown -- Whew, what a relief! The sickly sweet part tempers down, but is still too much for me, with a strong throw.

After 15 minutes -- It's quite lovely now; slightly fruity, quietly floral, a touch powdery. Amazingly, after that little-kid start, it becomes rather sophisticated. This isn't my perfect scent, but I'm very happy with it now. You just have to endure that first 10-15 minutes until it reaches adulthood!

Oddly, after being overpoweringly strong to start with, it fades pretty quickly down to barely perceptible, but somehow comforting.

Melon! Light pink and green melons! Then another fruit comes out, along with ginger, white tea, and the musks. I went to bed about an hour after putting it on, woke up four hours later, and it was just about gone, so I reapplied it. Shortly after an hour, it slid into a soft ginger, white tea, and musks stage, with hardly a hint of fruit or floral (or it was such a soft scent, I couldn't tell anyway), and any hint of a distinguishable scent was gone after another hour.

On me? Nothing but regular and watermelon Bubbalicious bubble gum. If I was going out for a roller skating party I might wear this, but there are way too many memories of long, hormone filled nights at the skating rink to wear this.

I was worried that this would be too fruity, but I love peony and pepper. This isn't too fruity for me. It doesn't smell "OMG _ " for any particular fruit. Smells clean, green but sweet like honeydew, and generally quite soothing and happy. This would be excellent for bath products.

~~Mi-Go Brain Canister~~

I have a 5ml of this that I bought without trying it first. After some of the previous reviews I am really worried. *deep breath* here goes...

In the bottle: floral with an undertone of rotten melon

Wet: When I eat cantaloupe, I put pepper on it. This smells like sitting at a table with a huge floral arrangement eating rotten cantaloupe with pepper on it.

Dry Down: The rotten peppery cantaloupe has faded and so has the overpowering florals. What is left is a very feminine scent with out being powdery or too overtly floral. I don't smell any of the fruit notes. I think it must be the tea and musks that balance this out.

Conclusion: This turned out to have a very happy ending! I was worried clear up thru the dry down! This, for me, is a very feminine, perfumey, dressy scent. Maybe something to wear going out to a nice dinner or something. It isn't something I would have bought a 5ml had I smelled an imp 1st because a little goes a LONG way on me and the throw is huge!

I'm tossing out my previous review of The Brains. Fee converted me to fruity scents, long after I'd swapped my initial Mi-Go. So I got an imp and tried it again. Mmm. Yes. It has the same beautiful juicy melony fruit that Fee has- different base, but Brains smells like honeydew to me, same as Fee, despite melon not being listed as one of the fruit notes. I don't really get musk out of this, or pepper or ginger, but there is a springy floral poking it's nose out among the melony goodness. While it reads as "daffodil, but not hateful" to my nose, I'm thinking it's a peony-jasmine meld that is coming off as a wearable daffodil (though that is an oxymoron on me, it still is what it reminds me of).

I love the bottle so much. This is one of my favorite BPAL packagings of all time, I have to say. Very glad I gave it another whirl after I warmed up to the concept of fruitiness.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5, with a 5 for packaging.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

In the bottle: jasmine, pineapple and kiwi, I think.

Wet: jasmine and fruits, I think I can smell the mango and pomegranate a bit, and the ginger coming out. It smells quite exotic, mango and kiwi seem dominant.

Drydown: Over the tropical fruits I can smell peony and then jasmine starts coming out, a bit strong for my taste. I'm starting to get the "Siren" effect, which is also jasmine/ginger - it smells slightly chalky, with a peony background. I can still smell the fruits, mango/kiwi I think, but they really get pushed to the background by the flowers.

Overall: Not really my thing. I've now realised that I don't love peony and that jasmine is only fun when mixed with the right stuff. I was hoping that this would be mostly fruity, but it isn't on my skin, it's mostly peony/jasmine with a hint of fruits from time to time. It's a bit boring, really, though not unpleasant - people find it very nice on me, I'm just not all that thrilled. I'd have liked to see the tea, pepper and pomegranate, too.

Man, Mi-Go is delicious before it dries: juicy fruitiness. But when it dries, it morphs into a monstrous floral that wants to eat my brains. JASMIIIIIIINE!

Why, oh why, did I feel I needed to try Mi-Go? I suppose because I love tea scents, love jasmine, thought pepper sounded good, and decided to turn a blind eye to the scents that SO don't work on me--ie. fruity or very floral scents.

So I was given an imp as a freebie in a swap and was delighted to try it. But who said dirty nappy under a jasmine bush? Because that's what it smelled like to me in the imp. Oh, and add a wierd plasticky note.

but I decided to put it on anyway, because sometimes I like a decent floral in the bath....

:P

Good thing I'm going to take a bath soon to get this off. Poor Mi-Go, you're getting no love from me. I wish I got the tea etc. I do get some jasmine, and it is, thankfully, gaining power as the top notes fade, but boy, that opening blast of melony scent just about did me in. I should have known better. A number of fruity scents turn to rotting melon on me--I couldn't do Fee either.

I'm sorry Mi-Go, but you're a No-go with me.

This is super-bright and sweet on first application, fruity and definitely pink in tone. Neat! There seems to be some sort of melon, but the overall blend is much sweeter than that. I don't smell tea specifically, but I think it might be smoothing the edges of the fruits--I got the same effect with Fée.

As it dries, the peony is easier to distinguish, and the sweetness fades a little bit. I don't get any spiciness, as others mentioned, but the end result is yummy, just the same.

Edited by Voleuse

At first, it is Orange Soda but rapidly becomes more complex upon drying. The pepper is very light, the jasmine stays under control, and the over all impression is “tropical fruit”. This would make a nice scent for a beach vacation.

After reading the reviews of this, I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. I was wrong.

On me, it's a slightly sweet and pleasantly fruity scent. I don't get the pepper at all. It's like what I hoped Fruit Moon would be, but wasn't. I get no sharp or grape-y edges, as I do with Fruit Moon. But then, I am one of those people whose body likes--even loves--jasmine.

In the bottle and wet, this smells like uber fruity, juicy bubble gum, the kind I LOVED to chew when I was a kid. The jasmine cuts through all the fruits more and more as it dries. I don't get much ginger or pepper, unless they are part of the amalgomous fruitiness that tempers the jasmine when it comes out to play. It's wonderful for summertime.

mmm... mi-love mi-go!

I smell fruity tea, and it loves me, so I love it. If that makes sense! The jasmine (which i have a love/hate relationship with) is there, but doesn't take over the other scents... so we are loving each other on this one.

over an hour later, I can still smell the lovely fruity tea! :P

bottle:

light and fruity

wet:

light, mango, slight floral

dry:

same, light fruit and floral! Barely sweet.

overall:

really nice esp. in summer!

rating: 8/10

I just got an imp of this from forumite dawna.

I AM IN LOVE. :P

In the imp, this came off very fruity - the mango came out a lot, and I was worried it'd turn into that. On my skin, though, the jasmine is really coming out, and something a bit spicy too - I'm guessing it's the pink pepper.

A 5ml of this is definitely on my wishlist now. It's just lovely.