Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!

I grabbed this one on a whim in an LJ sale, even though I tend to favor florals over fruit and wasn't sure about this one.

In the bottle: EEEWWWW!!! That smells like catshit! I had to talk myself into putting it on my skin. Whatever the combination of fruit and musk, I didn't like it at all in the imp.

Wet: OK, the civet or whatever is toned down and I'm catching whiffs of various fruits, but nothing I can sort out beyond high and sharp. The musk is emerging.

Drydown: Eventually it sorts itself out into a light musk with fruity overtones. It's very light and doesn't last for more than a couple of hours on me.

Verdict: Not for me. The end result isn't captivating enough for me to go through the whatever that makes it smell bad to me in the bottle and drying down.

I didn't intend to pick this one up, but I saw a near-empty going cheap on LJ and threw it in just to try. Hooray for serendipity. :D

In the bottle:

Screamingly PINK, much like, um, Pink Moon. Sweet, sweet fruits, a hint of floral.

Wet:

Was I ever right about the pink. Bubblegum! I think it's the kiwi going to town. But, wait...pepper? Hm.

Drydown:

The pepper note came out niiice and strong, anchoring all that bubblegum scent down. I'm never a fan for fruity sweetness on the skin (I prefer it in candles, or short-term product like bubblebath), but the pepper really makes this intriguing. That lively, spicy note contrasted beautifully with the sweet fruit. I was interested in the scent, all the time it lasted.

I didn't get much floral to this. Eventually, as it dried down, I got a hint of something more somber (for lack of a better word), which I think was the tea and musk. Tea is really, really faint on me, though, so what it really felt like was that the scent had been a happy, bouncing little girl who gradually started calming down and falling asleep in the backseat of the car on the ride home. :P

Scent lasted maybe three hours on me, not a lot of throw (I think; no one to test it on since I wore it to work). I'm not sure if I'll be ordering more, but I enjoyed the experience. :D

In the bottle: An odd blend of fruit, flowers and pepper its really unusual and a bit hard to explain

On wet: Wow this softened nice. It no longer has the pepper scent it is sort of a little sweet floral. The sweet starts to come forward after just a bit.

Drydown: Ok there seems to be a fight going on to decide if it wants to be heavier on the floral side or fruit side. But it doesn't stay still long enough for me to get much past noteing the peony in the floral stage. I hope this fruit stage stays it is amazing!!

Overall: I am just soooooo happy the pepper went away! I think that was what killed white rabbit and another for me. This is another light scent that seems great for the summer. I am so happy I finally decided to try this, I have put it off so long since the imp didn't do anything at all for me.

Sweet and fruity in the bottle; I just want to sniff it all down! On me it's still sweet and fruity, but it drys with a stronger undertone that must be the musk. Yum! It lasts a medium length of time one me, wish it was longer.

Overall, I just love the stuff and can't get enough! There will never be enough bottles for me until I have every last one of them... :P

I received an imp of this as a bonus in a swap that got hung up by the post office...which is awesome, because I have been so so tempted by all of the fruitilicious potential, but have been so nervous about the potential for jasmine overload...

Turns out I was right to be nervous. I cannot smell fruit to save my life in this blend...the jasmine just crawls up into my sinuses and starts doing the evil things that jasimne will do to me. Amazingly I wore this for almost an hour with no sign of a headache, but I think that may be because I am still getting over a cold, so I may revisit this when the imp wanders back to me as part of the LE circular swap, but based on this try, Mi-Go and me are a no go. :P

I didn't get this originally because I usually am not fond of fruity blends... but I recently bought a Mi-Go Brain Canister off of a lovely forum member because I collected all of the SiA bottles and this was the missing link. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the bottle though, it actually smells rather lovely.

In the bottle I am definitely picking up kiwi and it's very unique and edible. I hope that the kiwi stays strong on my skin.

First on my skin, kiwi and melon :P. It loses a lot of the sharpness that it has in the bottle, thankfully. I am envisioning juicy kiwi slices and chilled white tea now.

This is very fruity, but not that overly sweet sickening sort of fruity that I can't stand. It's very cool and soft. Smooth. I definitely get the 'soothing' part of the description.

In the drydown this is very much white tea and musk with a light fruity twinge. I'm getting the sense of an almost dryersheet-like freshness. It's so complex and I'm surprised that I love it. I can't believe that it took me this long to get ahold of the Mi-Go.

In the bottle: Its very syrupy fruity. Mostly pineapple, I think. On a deeper inhale, there is a hint of floral and something "tangy", which I'm not sure of--kiwi?

On skin, wet: O my skin, the florals from the imp are much stronger, and the fruits take a pleasing back seat. Until…attack of the jasmine! It has turned to catpee on me once again--ever so slightly, but I know its there. Curse my freakish skin chemistry! For about 15 min, its in cat pee stage. But it luckily tapers down to almost nil.

Dry: Early on its is a yummy fruity light floral, very sweet. I think this is the peony--very pretty, so I should try some more peony scents. I'm even getting a hint of the musk, which tempered everything very well. Very pretty. Towards the end, I smell some zingy ginger, and the scent still is a nice sweet/tart fruity floral with a hint of musk. Its very complex and lovely.

Overall: I like the final scent. I wish it had more staying power and that it didn’t' do the cat pee thing on me in the beginning. Grrrr…jasmine. The final stage reminds me a bit of Tzadikim Nistarim, which didn't do the catpee on me, so I think I'll keep that one and swap the mi-go. I know that it will find a good home!

Hmm. At first it smelled like pineapple to me, plus melon and some flower hiding in there. Then I started smelling two floral notes as it dried: a lily or something like that, and jasmine. Not sure about the lily, because the jasmine really takes over on me. Later it becomes a vaguely spicy jasmine.

Interesting, but not one for me to wear. I'm glad I tried it, and I hope someone will have fun with it when I swap it.

In the bottle: Very light, sweet, a little fruity with a sharp edge (which I suspecct is the pepper and/or ginger. Not a powerful smell, and fairly pleasant.

Wet: Mmm. Nice. Almost floral, though without any of the sharp notes I can't stand. Sweet, but not sicky-sweet. It has a certain clean quality that's appealing. It's not as fruity as one might expect from the list of ingredients, but then, that prevents one from smelling like fruit salad.

Dry:It fades down to the sweet musk once it's dry, though there's still some ambiguous fruitiness wobbling around here and there. I think it falls into the 'work scents' category; the kind of stuff one can wear to work and not offend one's co-workers. (After all, aren't we -all- just brains in jars?)

Final opinion Well, I can tell you I'm sorry this is a limited scent... :P; But unless Black Broom still has a bottle of it come October, I suspect I'm out of luck. It's a very nice scent on me, not heavy and sweet, and I can see why it's so popular.

I suppose I can continue to swap for imps of it, though.

I was a little dissapointed by Mi-Go. I was hoping for something a little more juicy fruity....but all I'm getting is alot of jasmine and peony with a hint of fruit.

For me, it's not very fruity at all, the jasmine seems to over power everything.

This one just doesn't work well with my skin. It it were a bit sweeter I think it'd smell fabulous :P

Edited by CourtneyLynne

Mi-Go Brain Canister

I got this in a swap with elenmenal.

I already knew fruits hate me and turn into generic fruity candy on my skin, but I still wanted to try Mi-Go because of the interesting pepper note and the mango. Well, it is sort of peppery initially but then it's the tutti frutti i expected, like a generic fresh, fruity, girlie perfume or even schampoo. It's fresher and more pleasant than Akuma, Aizen-Myoo or Cerberus on my skin but not very interesting. However, as I was expecting this I'm not too dissappointed. Off to swaps.

Edited by Caltha

Got a decant from a lovely forumite. Thank you!

In the imp this smells like a summery fruit salad, withthe fruits being extremely ripe. I think I smell kiwi and a bit of melon. On my skin the fruit tones down a bit, and it smells a little peppery. It smells yummy!

As this dries, the peony and musks begin to emerge. Then it fades into a sweet yet subtle peony. Very lovely!

I'm so glad I got to try this out. I will probably go Mi-Go bottle hunting. :P

In the bottle: sickeningly sweet, like fermented fruit salad or wilted iris maybe

On skin: it stayed weirdly sweet for a little while and then mellowed into a fruity floral.

I wasn't too impressed with this in the bottle, but figured I'd try it out on my skin anyway. I tried it late in the evening, and it still wasn't my favorite scent, but I have to say that I slept better that night than I had all week.

I'll have to give this one another try when my sinusus stop being all weird and see if it really does help me sleep better.

tee hee.. my boyfriend and I spent the night playing the Arkham Horror board game and I decided to try out my Mi-Go while we played.

First sniff.. smelled oddly like gardenia to me. A heavy, white floral smell..which was totally not what I expected from the reviews.

Drying.. a sweet scent, definitely. Sticky and sweet, almost too sweet, like overripe fruits. I smell honeydew or cantelope or some kind of sweet melon.. and still with the gardenia.

Dry.. it retains it's slightly sickly under tone, which seems appropriate for the little guys the scent emulates. Not sure if this is wearable for me, but it was fun to try; especially while playing Arkham Horror!

Thanks again to Joseybird for this.

In the bottle: Tart fruits, strong florals and... urine O_o

First on: Some pomegranate and peony and urine.

After a bit: Civet. Floral, sweet, musky civet.

I'm rather dissappointent the way this blend turned out on me. The florals and musk blend with the sweetness of the fruit to something quite rancid (civet).

Mi-Go Brain Canister:

Wet: What the spicy hell?

Drydown: This smells like something on a dusty shelf. After about 10 minutes, a sweet fruity yet slightly acidic smell wafts up.. grapefruit, perhaps? Either way, it's much better than right out of the bottle.

Longterm wear: All I get is just.. dust. Not for me.

In the bottle: very sweet, very fruity, with a hint of peppery musk hiding out.

Wet on skin- still sweet, but with a fruity tang, a kind of mango/melon combo.

dry on skin: it's getting kind of powdery/soapy but it seems like the florals are coming out to play. The fruits are very subdued. It's so sweet it's cloying. I'm feeling it in the back of my throat.

Dry down: this mellows into a light peppery musk, but retains too much of the too sweetness for me.

I really wanted to like Mi-Go, but my skin seemed to pull out all the wrong notes and it's far too sweet for me. Have I mentioned that it's sweet? yeah, to the swap piles with the fun squishy brain.

In the bottle: it's fruity! Oh so fruity! With some jasmine too, but mostly it's FRUIT.

On, wet: Okay, less fruity. The jasmine seems to be coming through more now, along with the musk. It's making me think of gardenias, actually. (Edit: And now, reading back, I see that I'm not the only one who thought of gardenia. Heh.)

Drydown: It's really just about the jasmine and the peony now, with the musk and the ginger to ground it all. The fruit seems to be going powdery on me, as fruit almost always seems to do.

Overall, a very pleasant floral with some zippy notes to make it interesting. I like. And the squishy brain amuses the hell out of me.

Edited by hangingfire

That's odd. While it has the same medical label I'm hearing about, mine comes in one of the amber bottles. Hm. That said, it's time for

~*~Serrat Can't Identify Notes So You Get Really Abstract Descriptions Theatre~*~

In the bottle: A very light, clean fruit scent. There's something sharp in it, but not in a "Ack, that hurt" kind of sharp. It's more a sense of clarity.

Wet: The ginger comes to the fore, for me, while the fruit notes everyone else is talking about are off dancing together in the distance at such a gleeful pace as to make them a blur. It's a very dewy and happy scent at this stage.

Drydown: *poomf* Huh? Where'd it go? We were having so much fun.

Sadly, this sticks around on me for little over an hour. I'm testing from a 5 ml, so purchase isn't key to my judgement. I'll certainly use up the bottle, since it's such an excellent scent to wear during classes and meetings without distraction. I really do like it, but due to its flighty nature I'll be used to going without when it's gone.

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In the Bottle: It smells really strong and almost sticky. The scent in the bottle is so overbearing that I couldn't get past it to try to see if I could identify any of the listed notes. I thought it would be unwearable.

Wet: Still very strong but not as overwhelming as in the bottle. It's a heady floral accord that still gives me a sweaty feeling. Cloying. I do not like this wet on my skin at all. :D

Drydown: MUCH better. The florals mellow and soften into something pleasant, though I still don't get any of the fruity notes I was hoping for.

Mi-Go strikes me as a very springy scent. I was slightly disappointed I didn't get any kiwi or mango, but I still like the scent regardless. I'm not sure what to do with the squishy brain though... :P

In the bottle: smells sticky-sweet, like bubblegum.

Wet: Flowers. Lots of flowers. I can't pick out any of the fruits mentioned at all. It's simply floral.

Dry: Flowers, flowers, pepper. And a hint of fruit. At this point, I can smell a little fruitiness in the background. I'm relieved that the pepper isn't overwhelming. I have an imp of White Rabbit, and pepper was about all I could smell. The pepper here is much more subtle.

I'm glad I won one, and I'll definitely use it up. The big disappointment is the lack of staying power. It seems to be gone in a couple hours.

In the imp: Fruity joy. But I can smell the jasmine lurking, ever so faintly, in the background. *hiss*

On, wet: Still no jasmine-soap. *wary disbelief* It smells fruity. Maybe a little peony-soap, which is a gentler, harmless soap smell that doesn't put me off if the rest of the scent is good enough. No pepper, no ginger, no tea. We shall see how this goes.

Later: If anything, it got frutier! Now I can pick out pineapple for sure, but mostly it's just... fruity. That peony-soap smell never goes away, but the jasmine remains surprisingly absent. This is a first! What a pleasant surprise!

In the bottle, this is really hard to pin down. It's got a lot of components that make it hard for me to determine what I'm smelling. It's flowery and fruity, but it's got this undertone of something ... rotting.

On the wrists: Rotting flowers. Straight rotting flowers.

It only stayed on for about five minutes because it was making me gag.

It's been about a month since I tried this and I'm almost ready to try it again since no one wants to take it off my hands. But each time I open the bottle to sniff it, I get the rotting scent again and I just can't do it.

Please, won't someone take my Mi-Go?

This was very, very fruity for me. When I wore it, I couldn't really identify any of the actual fruits, it just seemed very "bright" and "juicy"; after reading some more recent reviews, I'd agree with the reviewer who said pineapple. I liked this a lot when it was wet, but as it dried, it started to smell like a dryer sheet, which is not bad, but it's not good the way it was before. Also, I guess I don't particularly care to smell like a scented dryer sheet.

In the bottle: Yikes! Stripes! Fruit Stripes gum!

Wet: So fruity it makes me giggle, with some flower petals also floating around.

Dry: It changes pretty frequently on me from fruity to light white flowers to an almost spicy peppery musky scent, and back to fruit again. After about 3 or 4 hours of that, it fades to a soft musk.

This is a very complex scent, but the overall effect is pineapple and papaya and exotic fruits. It's definitely a pleasing scent.