Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!

This smells beautiful in the bottle, and when I first apply, but barely more than an hour or so after application it's like I didn't put anything on. I can't even get a sense of what it smells like dry on my skin since it just won't last. This happened both times I've tried it so I'm passing it on to someone who will hopefully be able to wear it!

I was surprised at how it managed to be 'sweet' without being over the top. Very nice florals with a tinge of fruitiness, and I could just smell the pink pepper. I'm quite disappointed since I liked it much better than Pink Moon, scent-wise. Sigh.

When this was released it sounded way too fruity for my tastes, so I passed. But I was curious about trying it, so I sought out an imp.

In the bottle yes it's fruity, but it's very pretty.

Wet - It's really not that fruity. The prominent note on me seems to be the light musk, followed by some well blended fruits and perhaps a touch of white tea. Much nicer than I expected!

Dry - it's pretty darn fruity now. The only fruit scents I like are apple, pear, orange,and the occasional blackberry, but none of those notes are here. This is a fruit salad! Still, it's not as obnoxiously fruity as I feared, the tea and musk tempers it well. I haven't noticed either the pepper or the ginger yet, and I wish I had, because a little spice would be divine. It's now about two hours in, and all I can smell is a light trace of musk.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 3.

Mi-Go Brain Canister: I dont usually do fruity blends but this one I can tolerate as an after a night shower blend. :P When first applied I smell the Kiwi, mango and the pink pepper. The drydown is a soft sweet aroma with just a tiny bit of tea. I like it so its a keeper. :D

Edited by Reinaluna

Bottle (Imp): Wow, this is a mish-mosh of many different things. What an incredible blend.

Just On: There's sweet, spice, mild pepper, maybe citrus.

An hour or two later: What a fantabulous blend, I can't pick out any notes at all, it's a mixture of a lot of nice things.

Around 6 hours: I'm getting more sweet, and still a wonderfully mixed scent.

12 hours: There is a bare hint left, after washing up, so this is a laster on me. Good thing too, I have a couple on the way to me.

Overall: I wasn't quite so sure I'd like this scent, but I really do like it, and so it will be something I will wear. This stays so well blended I never could pick out individual notes. And I have myself a braaaaiiiinnn. Muahahahaha.

After reading other reviews: Essentially, this morphed a few times, but always stayed so well blended that I never could really pick out any signel notes. Sometimes I'd get a hint of one or the other, but mostly it just switched balance of scents in varying ways. I now have my imp, a bottle, and another bottle on the way to me.

First Sniff:

Tropical, fruity and a bit heady. If Mi-Go's smell like this then I wouldn't mind hanging out with one...minus the whole suck up your brain bit.

Wet:

MMMM. It smells like Manila only more...bananaish. It's a bit sweet, a bit tart and very tropical. It makes me think of sunny beaches with brainless people walking along it :D :D

Drydown:

ACK! Burnt Rubber! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Aftermath:

Mi-Go in its wet stage= :D but in its dry stage = :P so away it goes. I will keep an imp however because wet its very very tropical melon fruity and lovely

Imp: fruity drink with an umbrella

on me, wet: pineapple

on me, drydown: mixed fruity drink, with the umbrella

verdict: I like it :P It also seemed to fade sort of quickly, but I didn't slather. :D

Honeydew, pineapple, mango fruity and PINK PINK PINK I sure wish this was a catalog instead of a Limited Edition. I would buy a bottle, I was lucky enough to get one on a swap and plan to keep it. Cheers to beth for another great blend :P

Edited by ~AmusedMuse~

In bottle: Darkly fruity floral. Delightful tropical fruits and slight sharpness from ginger, and tons and tons of flowers.

On me: Initially bright and fruity, as this settles into my skin it becomes rather heavy - rathery syrupy. The flowers are much stronger - jasmine very overwhelming and not really blending with the other notes - although the peony is a delightful splash. The musk is stronger than I expected; I'm not so sure I like it here. It seems almost out of place with all the brightness surrounding it. I will keep this fragrance for now; I am quite on the fence about it, as it keeps changing every few minutes. Sometimes it's lovely and sometimes I could quite do without.

spicy.jpg

I loved the concept, the label, the little brain in a bag, the excitement of a really limited edition. The rose in this blend is outstanding, and I thoroughly admire the gumption it took to come out with something like Mi-Go Brain Cannisters.

As a perfume, Mi-Go Brain Cannisters and I do not get along. As soon as it gets into my nose it goes dreadfully animalic, on my skin...it should never ever be on my skin. No. It did calm down on my wrist but angry jasmine never quite made her peace with me. It is a very good thing I didn't feel the frenzy and buy 34 bottles of this. On the other hand, I am very grateful that I got to try it--it was great fun.

mi-go brain canister...

hmmmm....it is not pink in color but clear...in the imp, it smells fuity but

upon application it immediately turns floral....my chemistry is awful with this one :P

after 30 minutes it reminded me the original ralph lauren...the one in the maroon bottle that mom loved so dearly.....

needless to say, off this imp goes to mom....

such a shame as the reviews sounded divine... *sigh*

am glad i tried without splurging for a big bottle though....

Edited by sookster

A lovely gift from SoapyRn! I have been waiting for this for quite a bit and it has held true to what has been described. It starts out as a mixture of fruits: melons and pomegranite. As it dries down I get a touch of a floral scent, but the melon is still strong. I'm totally loving it!! :P

Initial Impression:

Clean fruity scent. Slightly tart.

After Wearing It:

This is the perfect spring/early summer scent! I don't often catagorize scents in terms of seasonal wear and usually as likely to wear a heavier "winter" scent in August as I am in January. But Mi-go just smacked me hard in the forehand with it's natural affinity for warming temperatures and obscene amounts of sunshine. It's a fresh and cheery scent that begs to be worn with sandals and tanktops. Its clean fruit notes would feel stifled by a sweater. A winter coat would cramp its style.

It's funny, I wasn't sure how much I'd like Mi-go. I do really enjoy pomegranate scents, but I'm rather iffy about fruity scents in general. Particularly tropical ones. And the notes I was hoping would make the fragrance for me (the musks, the pink pepper and the ginger) never seemed to show up. But somehow Mi-go really worked anyway. The smell of pineapple can makes me nauseated, yet I rather enjoyed it mixed with the kiwi, pomegranate, and mango. It made mi-go smell like a sweet yet tangy fruit punch that was incredibly sensually refreshing. It felt satisfying the way a cool breeze on a hot day is satisfying, or the way ice water can taste as wonderful as wine after a long, sweaty afternoon. It's very energizing and delightful, and I find myself reaching for it a lot as the days get hotter even though I still have lots of new things to try. What a great surprise!

Final Thoughts:

If I didn't think I'd stop reaching for it much after September ends, I'd try to hunt myself down another bottle. But as I think I'll only be in the mood to wear this when it's warm, sticky and sunny, one will do. Very glad I took a chance with this.

In the bottle: Fruity florals. I definitely smell the jasmine and pepper.

Wet: Jasmine, calm down! I can also smell the pepper, but thankfully it's not so strong that it makes me sneeze. The fruits are there in the background but not as strong as I'd like them to be. Them hanging around in the back like that makes it difficult to differentiate.

Drydown: It becomes wispy jasmine and pepper towards the end. The tropical fruit punch effect is there in the background, but still hiding behind the jasmine. CURSE YOU, JASMINE! (Or should I be cursing my skin chemistry? I'm unsure.)

Final thoughts: The jury's still out. I wish this were more fruity on me than peppered jasmine but I'm going to keep trying it to see if I can get it to work. It might just be my skin chemistry at this point and time. It's definitely a summery blend though.

This scent is so strange on me. Soooo strange.

I love peony, pink pepper, ginger & white tea, and couldn't resist buying anything with ALL of those scents in it, even though I know that fruit can go either way on me -- at times they are much too sickly-sweet. And, indeed, the first time I put it on the fruits were all I could smell, but they weren't as overpowering as they sometimes are, so maybe the other scents were working to tone the fruit down a bit, even though unfortunately I couldn't pick out any of the floral, tea or pepper notes. It faded very quickly, too. So, not as bad as I feared but not something I loved, either. I put it aside for a while.

Next time I tried it I liked it much much better -- still very fruity, but more of a sparkly fruit -- that's really the only way to describe it, sparkly. Again, it faded quickly, but I put it in a scent locket and the sparkly fruit lasted nicely in there. So I decided Mi-Go was a keeper.

Then I tried it some time later on my skin, and I got a whiff of...poo. Yes, poo. Someone else said this, so I don't feel *quite* as terrible putting this in a review. It smelled to me like a bathroom, with some synthetic fruity-scented Lysol sprayed all over to cover up the nasty smell. Just awful. I tried it in the scent locket again, and got the same thing -- probably just through association, because I think it was my wonky skin chemistry messing with a perfectly nice scent in that way that it sometimes does.

Now I don't know WHAT to do with my brains. I know that I liked Mi-Go once, so I hesitate to get rid of it, but when it was bad it was so very bad. Argh! I must have the strangest body chemistry known to man. I think I'll hold on to it for a bit and try it again in a few weeks. If I get the ickiness again then I think it'll be swapped.

:P Why is my skin so confused?

Edited by lokelani

very pink, very tropical fruit salad (which is NOT a bad thing as i adore tropical fruit salad!). the peony, pink pepper, and white ginger lend a slight spiciness to it that is, in a word, divine. jasmine didn't take over (which surprised me), and the white tea and the musks come out a bit towards the end of the journey.

i'd have to say that as much as pele reminds me of the hawaiian tropics, mi-go reminds me MORE of the caribbean tropics. laid back, eating fresh juicy fruit, and sitting in the sun with a virgin pina colada

In the bottle, this was all bubble gum. Juicy, fruity bubble gum. Delicious!

On, the pepper note comes to the front giving a kick to all those tropical fruits. It's soft, very pink smelling, and the pepper note keeps it from being too sweet. It's the paper umbrella in your fruity drink.

On extreme drydown, the fruits are almost completely gone, but the floral notes have come out. Very light jasmine with a hint of mango, like a tropical breeze.

This scent is amazing. All it needed was a cabana boy to make my desert island fantasy complete.

Mi-Go was a lot like Forbidden Fruit on me... :P

There is something... watery there, I don´t really know how to explain it. I thought that was the lotus in Forbidden Fruit, but there is no lotus in Mi-Go?? My newbie nose has a long way to go, I think

:P I absolutely adore Mi-Go Brain Cannister!! I got an imp today and it was the first thing I put on. It doesn't last very long on me, but it smells amazing....very freah and sexy and yes, pink......plus the fiance was snuggling my neck after I put it on and that's ALWAYS a good thing!! :D This is definately a keeper. Now, where oh where can I get a bigger bottle? ::walks off with stick to rouse one up::

I didn't order it from the lab because I was afraid of the jasmine, but as I read the reviews I was *so* tempted by all the "tropical fruit salad" comments that I headed over to eBay. Again.

Well, I don't get fruit salad from this, alas. In fact, there's not a single individual fruit note that I can pick out. But it's surprisingly nice, anyway.

Initially I get this *insane* floral burst with amazing throw. It smells like some sort of spring bulb that's grown in pots indoors, like hyacinths or Easter lilies. Neither one is in the list of notes, so it's probably the peony (not the jasmine, which almost invariably goes chemical on me). I am addicted to this top note; it's just gorgeous.

It dries down to a perfectly nice pale, sweet floral, with maybe a hint of generic fruit in the background if you really squint. I never get any pepper or ginger, which I was also really hoping for. But I find myself reaching for this frequently, anyway, especially on really hot days.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Smells very tropical, spicy and warm. A melange of fruits, with the creamier banana and pineapple notes, sweet yellows, rising to the top.

Wet, on Skin:

Has a definite pink pepper kick to it, but that gives way real quick for bananas and just... a feeling of FRUIT. Yes, in caps - a nondescript mix of fruits with a whole bunch of notes vying for top billing.

Drying Down:

Has turned oddly sweet and a touch floral on me. The fruits are mostly sweet and grapey now.

Over Time/Longterm:

Fades way too quick. Leaves little to no trace of its passing.

Final Verdict?

Reminds me a lot of sweetcakes.com's Midnight in Tunisia FO, definitely a jasmine and wine grape based fragrance, to a T during a phase of its drydown. The fragrance isn't me, so it's going to end up in swaps or as gift imps to local friends...

i just recieved this in a swap. i've been curious ever since i saw the description......

anyway, i LOVE how this smells in the bottle and on me too! however, it only lasts about 5 minutes. my skin chemistry is such that i can reduce this heady PINK perfume down to nothing in less than 7 minutes. so sad!

that said, i looooooove how this smells. love, love, love.

i am going to either make a bath bomb out of my imp, or just keep it around for cheering me up on Bad Days. it really is refreshing and stimulating! could i have a few more exclamation points please?!! apprently not!!!!

:P

a very cheerful making scent. if i had to be abducted by aliens and be a living brain in a jar, i'd want to smell this to keep me happy.

EDIT:

i wore it again on an evening when it wasn't so blisteringly hot that i sweated it off in 5 minutes.

OMG -- i am completely lovestruck. i'm bowled over, i am overwhelmed. the throw of this scent just keeps drifting up and making me happier and happier.

i am in the process now of obtaining a full 5ml. i am SO sad that this is an LE. i will be wearing it for the rest of the summer though, with great happieness and joy. i can only hope that it occassionally comes back to collect more brains with it's yummy happy goodness.

EDIT:

it's now three months since i first reviewed Mi-Go. it's one of my all time favorites, and i just obstained my third bottle. interestingly enough, this was the first bottle i got in a brown bottle as opposed to a blue bottle. natually, a batch comparison had to take place.

brown: i could smell the civit or fecal traces in this one for the first time! whoa! no wonder some folks were waaaaay put off. had this been my first sniff, i would have been seriously wigged out. that goes away after about 30 seconds though and i am left with a pretty jasamine and pepper scent, supported by the peony and fruits.

blue: holy mother of Melon batman! this one is aaaaaalllllllll fruit -- more like Fruit Moon than Mi-Go. way lighter. in fact, i'd say it's almost the inverse of the brown bottle: fruit supported by florals!

i'll be keeping 'em both though (and i still have another half bottle left too!). it's my signature for summer time, and we're heading into winter now. still love my mi-go though.

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

In the bottle: light tropical and fruity scent.

On my skin: A jumble of fruit, for some reason, I feel like I can slightly smell pear, but I'm not even sure if that's in the blend. It isn't as juicy as other fruit blends and looking at the list of what's in it, I would contribute that to the musk which mellows out the fruit. Even though it has pomegranate in it, it's not overwhelmingly juicy. I think this is a fruity scent that I could wear.

In the bottle: very sweet and fruity, but something almost vile underneath.

On the skin: nothing vile at all, I tried this again and it smells very sweet and light on my skin. I smell the mango and jasmine the most, but there seems to be some sort of tea scent underneath. Maybe some kind of light musk too? Very pretty.

In the bottle: Super-sweet fruit. I'm finding that a lot of the fruity BPALs smell "too sweet" for me, in the bottle. I can pick out kiwi and pineapple, and something floral in the background that must be the peony (it doesn't smell like jasmine.)

Wet: Almost immediately I can smell the ginger and pink pepper, and the fruits, which aren't quite as sweet. After a few minutes the fruits and pepper fade and the peony and jasmine seem to be the primary notes.

On drydown: Still peony/jasmine, but the white tea starts coming out behind it. This is a very relaxing scent, which I think is interesting because I'm not normally a florally person. Either they don't mesh with my skin or they smell fine, they just are very "perfume-y," which I'm not into. But this one smells like it belongs on me.

It reminds me of another very familiar scent, but I can't put my finger on what it is. But whatever it is, it has good associations.

This isn't my favorite scent by far, but it's very soothing and I'll be keeping it around. :P

EDITED, later: After wearing this awhile (and taking a shower, which amazingly enough did not wash this away completely) I've figured it out - this smells like my grandmother. She wore Estee Lauder's Beautiful, but it had a very particular smell on her that I don't get out of the perfume itself. But Mi-Go smells on me the way that smelled on her. It's so weird - I looked up details on Beautiful and they don't appear to share many of the same notes. This is AMAZING. She's been dead eleven years, and I never thought I'd smell that again. It's actually bringing tears to my eyes!

In the bottle: Oh wow, this is strong! Lots of fruits and flowers, all screaming for attention. I somehow assumed this would be fruitier than it is, or maybe more tropical fruity. But the flowers seem to be demanding same billing as the fruit.

On my skin: Oh, I can't wear this. :P My skin takes all those notes clamoring for attention and amplifies them tenfold. This is the scent of gluttony. So many beautiful notes doing their best to outshine the rest until my senses are overloaded and I can't take any of them. I need to go wipe this off.

Definitely need to dilute this one a bit and see how it does.