Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Mi-Go Brain Canister

They were pinkish things about five feet long; with crustaceous bodies bearing vast pairs of dorsal fins or membraneous wings and several sets of articulated limbs, and with a sort of convoluted ellipsoid, covered with multitudes of very short antennae, where a head would ordinarily be.... As it was, nearly all the rumours had several points in common; averring that the creatures were a sort of huge, light-red crab with many pairs of legs and with two great bat-like wings in the middle of their back. They sometimes walked on all their legs, and sometimes on the hindmost pair only, using the others to convey large objects of indeterminate nature. On one occasion they were spied in considerable numbers, a detachment of them wading along a shallow woodland watercourse three abreast in evidently disciplined formation. Once a specimen was seen flying””launching itself from the top of a bald, lonely hill at night and vanishing in the sky after its great flapping wings had been silhouetted an instant against the full moon.

The Mi-Go are the Fungi from Yuggoth [the planet we naïvely dubbed Pluto], a crustacean-like, winged humanoid race that travel to the highest mountain peaks on Earth to mine for minerals. They do pick up the occasional human brain during their trips to Earth, which they transport back to Yuggoth in a canister. While in this brain jar, the transported brain is fully-conscious, and, thanks to the miracles of modern Mi-Go technology, is possessed of all its faculties and the power of speech.

In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!

Bottle description: The standard blue cobalt bottle, with the standard size label. Almost the entire area of the label is taken up by a very detailed medical drawing of a brain, including the hypothamalus. :P

In the bottle: Fruitylicious! Mango, pineapple, kiwi and pomegranate with ginger.

Wet, on my skin: The mango hangs around for a little while, but the other fruits have left the building, and they have been replaced by jasmine and peony. It's an invigorating, youthful, warm weather floral. It's quite a bit more floral than I was expecting, but it's lovely all the same!

The color it evokes for me is bright, fluorescent pink!

On drydown: I think it is the peony that seems to be the predominant note now. It's a floral, but it's not jasmine that sticks out the most, and I'm not familiar with what pink pepper smells like. The white tea and musks come out on drydown and the ginger reappears. The fruits are still MIA. They seem to have fled Yuggoth in a panic. :D I'll update my review upon extreme drydown. Maybe they're just hiding.

And the little rubbery white brain is really squishy and cute!

ETA: Mi-Go pretty much remained peony, tea, musk and ginger on me for several hours. Alas, the fruitiness did not reappear. My chemistry is weird, so it must have amped up the florals to the detriment of my beloved fruits! Still a wonderful scent, though!

If anyone here has ever smelled Mary Kay Velocity, this has a similar fruity/floral vibe. Mi-Go doesn't SMELL like Velocity per se, but they both strike me as bright pink and I'd put them in the same scent category. Edited by Shollin

Honeydew at first! Now, a little powdery, but still fruity with melon! I'm finding this much softer than I anticipated, but it's a great summer scent! I wonder what the aging dry down will be........! Such a quirky scent! :P

ahhh yes this is pink. w/ a capital P. this is mostly fruity on me.

in the bottle it is tutti fruiti hawaiian style. very tropical fruits. lots of mango.

on it doesn't morph much at all. it is tropical fruits, warmth, and sunshine. almost effrevecent. there is a floral note lurking there quietly but it is soft and in the background letting the fruity fun party it's heart out. i don't know what i was expecting, but grey matter was definitely bopping around in my grey matter, but this migo this has no grey matter it is yummy and sweet, and innocent smelling.

In the bottle

Fruity!

On

Pineapple and Mango are the primary notes.

Kiwi is coming in now too.

It's turning a tad powdery (which is good).

I'm unable to pick out any pink pepper or ginger at this point.

And the jasmine, pomegranate are way in the background too.

It' still great.

The peony is coming out with it's floral note and so is the jasmine.

30 minutes

I believe it's the pepper that I can pick out now which makes this spicier as it dries.

It's a wonderful light spiced pina colada scent with just a titch of jasmine floral.

When it dries completely, the pink pepper (so that's what it smells like) and ginger are primary but soft...and just a drop of pineapple creaminess in the background.

If your skin chemistry is at all similar to mine, it won't be too fruity, especially on the dry down.

Mi-Go smells more like Aquolina's "Pink Sugar" (when it's dry) then Pink Moon does interestingly enough. The lightly spicy notes from PS are here just not quite the pink fruitiness of PS. Not at all like Pink Moon, not sweet, it's very light, and the spiciness is not brown sugary it's pink peppery so it's not as sweet all together, wet or dry.

Throw:

light

Scent category:

Fruity

Summary

This is the fruitiest blend I've tried to date. I was afraid this would turn way too floral on me but it has not, thank goodness. The white tea and the musk is a gorgeous blanket of calm sensuality over the bright fruitiness.

My skin just soaks this blend up, so it fades in a hurry on me.

It dries into a lightly spicy fruity Pina colada-ish mix with jasmine.

This is one I'll have to slather on or reapply often.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best).

Edited by UltraViolet

Weird, this is pretty much pure honeydew on me too. This is a very unique scent, I don't think there's another BPAL like it. Unfortunately, this is really faint, so those of you who need to slather are going to go through this very, very quickly. I'm so glad I got two bottles - I think one is going to be split between an alcohol spray and a dry oil spray. This really is a lovely scent, I hope I can find a way to make it last!

I really wanted this to work on me(three-bottle-want), but there's something in it that makes me ill. I have this similar, weird reaction to ylang-ylang, that makes me wonder if there's any in this at all...my nose is super-sensitive to it, and for some reason, that's all that I can smell, no fruitiness at all. I was hoping that it was just in the bottle and that if I wore it I could pick up on the fruits that made me buy it in the first place, but it smelled the same on as it did in the bottle...the other surprising thing was that it faded VERY quickly on me. I'll hang onto it and try it a couple more times over the next few weeks to see if maybe its just weird hormonal, body chemistry, but I am definitely going to have to set the other two bottles free. :P

ETA: I tried one of the other bottles and the fruit is definitely more prevalent...but there's still that something that I can't quite stomach.

Edited Again: Extra bottles have found new homes

Edited by norman74

I imagine my brain, sloshing about in a liquid-filled canister, on its way to Yuggoth.

If my brain could smell this incredible scent on its journey, it would feel calm and soothed. Relaxed, cruising through space.

Wet in bottle: Smooth peppery pineapple. When I say smooth, I mean Smooth.

Wet on skin: I immediately get a Springy floral, then the pepper and pineapple start coming out quick.

Dry on skin: Sweet, smooth fruity goodness. The pepper is there, its just so smooth and blended so well that nothing is shouting over anything else.

My friend Jacq. says, "it smells like good."

I will add more later on if I think of anything else!

Mi-Go

I was a little hesitant on this because of all the fruity notes but the pink pepper, jasmine, and ginger intrigued me plus - it's brains! In the bottle I get a strong jolly rancher scent, very sweet and fruity. Initially it stays very wet and juicy (kinda like squishy brains!). After about half an hour some of the jasmine pokes through along with a bit of tea. I'm not smelling anything spicy though; no pepper or ginger. Still it's much more wearable than I thought it would be and has turned into a lovely fruity floral. Very glad I bought this :D

:P for the cute little squishy brain

Mi Go Brain Canister

This is a very beautiful scent, fruity and creamy with a little bit of floral. I love the wet juicy stage when I first apply it, and wish it would last longer. I have to slather pretty heavily with this scent for it to stick around for the first few hours. I only get a tiny bit of pepper, but that's enough here, it shouldn't overpower the scent. It seems to fade pretty fast on me.. which is sad, because it's so pretty.

I think I'll keep it, despite it's rather short life. The first stage is worth it.

And the little squishy brain is so cute!

Mi-Go Brain Canister

First impression: Pretty! So pretty. All sweetness and light.

Upon application: THis is possibly the softest, presttiest jasmine I've ever smelled. Jasmine has a tendency to be very harsh on me, but in this blend, it's sweet and soft - like white velvet. I definitely smell the tropical fruits, too. What a gorgeous blend! And if I inhale really deeply, a hint of white musk makes my nose tingle just a little. I adore white musk, I love the way it wraps the individual scents up in a hug and makes them a whole.

After about half an hour the peony starts to rear it's head, but luckily it's beat back into submission by the fruits and musk.

Conclusion: Did I mention this was pretty? Lucky brains.

This is summer to me. What a clean fruity-floral scent. I love that it starts out like big pink grapefruit.... then goes a little flowery, then changes back and forth from fruity to flowers. It is a very light scent, but I love it! So glad I have 2 bottles to play with. I am going to make perfume spray, dry oil spray & massage bars out of this! YUMMY! :P

As odd as this sounds, this is exactly what I expected the interior of a brain canister to smell like. Wet, it smells very sweet and fruity, with a lot of similarities to Pink Moon. As it dries, the pepper and ginger are more noticeable, making the brains nicely spicy. It's very fruity, with a touch of light spice that gives it a nice kick. Definitely great for summery weather!

I'm not normally into fruity scents because they smell too much like Herbal Essences bath products to me. However, Mi-Go Brain Canister is a keeper. It's juuuuust sweet enough to keep me from feeling like I'm just hopping out of the shower, but juuuust spicy enough to avoid smelling like I just spilled fruit punch down my shirt.

Hell, I'd keep it just for the brain diagram on the label!

ETA: the strangest thing..... every time I try to type.... s p i c y .... b r a i n s ....(imagine it without the spaces) it changes to "mi-go brains"

Edited by mobilejessie

Initial Sniff: Hrm....I was superly excited when everyone was describing theirs as "fruity as all hell", but to me, I just smell flowers. There's also this slightly "off" thing hanging in the background, can't really identify it, but it reminds me of civet. It's not stinky like poop or anything, but it's got that animal feel to it. This is also a little harsher than I'd planned on.

After having my boyfriend sniff it as well, he says "gahh! It's cough syrup!! I hope it's something else on you."

Swipe: Well, it's staying pretty true to the bottle. Pretty damn true. The bright, stinging quality of the flowers (I'm not a floral chick) is overwhelming any fruit that might be in here. That odd animal note is still hanging in the background, more like an "aftertaste."

Drydown: With my nose away from my wrist (where I dabbed just the teeniest, tiniest bit, it wasnn't really even a swipe) this smells just like it did in the bottle. I still a shit-ton of flowers, it actually hurts my sinuses and the back of my throat.

With my nose on my skin, I catch some spice n' stuff...but still no fruit. :D

Overall: Jeebus Criminany, this is some wickedly strong stuff. I flipped the bottled over and back, then screwed off the lid, and dabbed it on my skin. There was nary a wetspot before rubbing my wrists together. And this is just overpowering my poor nose. I'm sure it's got a lot to do with my skin amplifying florals (sadly), but still...daaammnnn.

Unfortunately, this isn't really what I was expecting. It's very pretty, but it's not what I'd worked up in my mind. I'd imagined fruit...I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but all I get is floral, strong, painfully stingy floral. The fruit is being beaten into submission and if it doesn't surface sometime before this burns off into sickening carrier/base oil (which is will eventually, I can smell it on the outskirts now...stupid skin), I just may trade away. *le sigh* This is what I get for building a scent up in my mind before sniffing...

Edited to add: Dude, that sticky brain-toy thingy I got with mine is soo cool. It's squishy and icky and totally fun and I love the cute touch of adding it to the orders. :D

Edited again: Ok, it's been like two hours, I'm not sure when the Brains disappeared on me, but they did. Probably an hour ago or something...and you know what I'm left with? Lol, the same thing I knew I would be. The base/carrier oil of doom. It's become apparent in nearly every blend I've ever tried, BPAL and others alike. :P One day I'll be a good girl and create sprays.. :D

Edited a bunch of days later. Ok, I mixed up a spray for this one, in the hopes that it would last longer, and it didn't quite turn out like I'd hoped. You know how when you squirt sprays that the alcohol is present for like 2 seconds before vanishing? That's the fruit of this blend for me. I smell it when I open the bottle, and when I spritze..but the second the cloud hits my skin - BAM - all stinky flowers. :D I fall in love with Mi-Go over and over again when sniffing straight from the bottle, yet hate its guts everytime it touches my skin and those animal flowers come out.... grrrrr!!!

Oh yeah, and the spray gets Mi-Go to last about an hour extra on my skin, no more. Although, it does last on my shirt in its original fruity state. And I really didn't dilute it with alcohol very much. Normally I've been doing about a 1:6, but with Mi-Go I did about a 1:4-ish with 95%-ish alcohol....growl!!!!

Edited by Sara

:P Sara... me too!

My wonderful Arkham order just arrived. I am in the midst of a sinus infection so I can't even really smell anything, but this one made it right through the sinus congestion! I could only wear it for about a minute and I had to wash it off. It is overwhelmingly floral on me, I get a very sharp dose of jasmine and until this infection goes away I can't take it. :D

I'm hoping when I try the second bottle I have coming I get more fruit and less floral, but this bottle atleast is going to offered out in imps.

And the brain? Is the coolest thing ever, so squishy and fun. :D

Edited by Finny

Brains...delicious squirmy brains....

Everything about this is incredible. The gorgeous bottle, the bonus squishy brain, and the scent -- oh, the scent! I do love a good fruit scent, and this has all of my favorite fruits in it. If I could make a fruit salad of my dreams it would contain mango, kiwi, pomegranate and pineapple in it -- they are simply my four very favorite fruits. White tea and ginger is also a wonderful combination as I have found in Kumiho. Jasmine is admittedly sometimes a problem for me, but it's not a problem in here. And peony -- they are my mother's favorite flower, and they very much remind me of her.

This is a very comforting, delectable scent for the spring and summer and my brain is going to enjoy its cushioned ride across the cosmos, smelling this.

Pink pepper -- I have no idea what it smells like, nor do I smell anything peppery, but I love those two words together, so that makes me happy too.

This does come out fruity on me, but unlike many fruity smells it doesn't fade immediately. It actually gets stronger as I wear it, and though I thought I would have to reapply immediately it intensifies. It reminds me a lot of Hanging Gardens at times, for the rich variety of fruit, without there being any of a citrusy feeling. It doesn't have the dark underlying woodiness of Hanging Gardens though. The initial scent in the bottle and when applied is definitely a honeydew melon kind of smell though this becomes much more complex as the other layers of the brain reveal themselves.

This is very much a keeper for me -- I wish I could have gotten two, but I will treasure this one bottle and weep when it is gone.

Edited by sarada

Mmmm ... braaaains...

In the bottle: Fruity! I smell kiwi and mango more than anything, with a bi of pineapple and the ginger and tea in the background.

On: The fruit dries away a bit, and though this is sad, as I love fruity smells, Mi-Go still smells wonderful, so I cant really complain. Floral - definately Jasmine, but not enough to give me a headache - and sometimes I think I smell the white tea and ginger more than I did sniffing it out of the bottle. I'm in the same boat as the other reviewers who aren't sure what pink pepper smells like, and while this isn't spicy on me at all, there is a note that I can't really place - perhaps it's pink pepper.

Overall: More floral than fruity on me, but a light floral, so it's one I can wear. It does seem to get a bit fruitier as it continues drying, so here's hoping I get a lot more fruit at the end of the day. This doesn't last too long on my skin, but that's okay; I like it enough that I'd reapply all day if I had to.

I feel a bit like a zombi, getting this excited over brains.

Also, I made the squishy brain walk down my computer screen as I wrote this. It's awesome!

Edited by Imbrium

This is so wonderfully tropical :P I smell primarily soft, slightly exotic flowers, over the pineapple/mango type fruity base and ginger. My skin seems to eat the fruits more and more as it dries down, but it's still really nice. Much sweeter in the bottle than on me.

The little squishy brain toy is so gross yet adorable!

My squishy brain is sitting on top of my computer...what a cool surprise!

Mi-Go is such a beautiful, tropical, gentle, wet fruity blend. I'm so glad I ordered it. I can't decide what appeals to me more: the mango/pineapple topnotes or the soft jasmine drydown with just that touch of pink pepper.

As someone who normally doesn't go for fruity scents, I can honestly say that I adore this one. Trying to make it last is going to be really tough!

Gods this is fabulous! It' is mango goodness with a touch of gentle florals. Something in it reminds me of white rabbit with mangos added. I REALLY love it, Like way more than any LE I have tried to date, and I will be sad when this one is all gone.

at first: wow. this is such an amazing blend of fruits and flowers.

on: so amazing. it's mostly fruity, but the flowers are definitely there, too. a wonderful summer blend.

half an hour later: this is so light it has almost disappeared. very musky and powdery.

1 hour later: i added some more because this pretty much disappeared.

overall: how odd. this didn't last on me at all. i'm going to try it out a few more times, since i'm hoping it will be a light (bot not non-existant) summer scent.

In the bottle: watermelon, like Jolly Ranchers. Yum!

On me: pineapple, with lots of tropical fruits hovering nearby. I luuuuuv the fruity fruit fruit, but unfortunately they don't last on my skin.

Half-hour later: yep, no more fruits. But it's a very nice tropical floral, like the Comptoir Sud Pacifique samples I like requesting with Sephora orders. I would much rather have one of the Lab's tropical florals than a $50 mass-made alcohol concoction.

In summation: a great blend for summer!

Oh fruity BPAL, why do you spurn me? I love fruit, I love BPAL, but fruity BPAL? Unless you're the King of Spades, you pretty much hate me.

Mi-Go, I had such high hopes for you. I bought two bottles, and was so happy to see my squishy brains and open up your deliciousness. But your fruity wonderfulness dissappears on my skin, and all I can smell is jaZZmine - annoyingly assertive jasmine, which is why I typed it like that. No amout of pineapple, pomegranate, pink pepper or peony can rescue you for me, nor can such abject alliteration.

I'm sure you'll make someone else very happy, but why for once can't it be me???

I also think that if my brain had to be transported outside my body, it would like to be housed in a fluid like this. Beth is exactly right -- this blend manages to be both soothing and stimulating. Amazing.

It's a quiet, subtle blend. But when you look at it closely (the olfactory equivalent of under a microscope), you see all kinds of frenetic activity. The punchy, tart fruits. The sweet pineapple. The cool spice of pepper and ginger. The remarkable thing is that all of this still manages to be light, soothing and quiet. The jasmine and peony smooths it all out. These florals don't jump out; they just create a soft cradle for the fiestier ingredients.

When I apply this, I smell the watery, tropical fruit first, which immediately is smoothed down nicely by the florals. Then I start to notice the very faint tinge of pepper and ginger . . . nothing aggressive -- almost like a little tickle at the back of my nose. It stimulates the fruit, which again is softened by the florals. It's like a well-oiled machine -- no element competes with any other; rather, each performs its function, complimenting and uplifting the other elements around it.

The overall effect is a light, dry, summery blend that's ever so sweet and ever so brain-tickling spicy. It fades FAST, but I don't mind slathering.

LOVE IT.

In the bottle, this smells sickeningly sweet and it stays the same when I first apply it to my skin. However, within a few seconds, it morphs into all kiwi and some other fruit that I can't figure out what it is (maybe pomengrante). It is very light, yet it has a good amount of throw. I think it stays very true to the idea of it being a soothing blend. The scent is okay at this point, but then it dries down and turns into this WOW scent. It becomes mostly spicy with light florals and tea in the background. There are pretty much no fruits when it gets to this point and it is lovely. I still don't know that I like it enough to keep both bottles, but I definitely like it enough to keep one of my bottles of it. :P

Bottle: Fruity - general fruity, no specific note popping out.

Wet: It goes to melons on me. Honeydew & pomegranate. Or maybe mango & pomegranate.

Dry: Now it's more floral. Jasmine, then white tea. Then it's white tea & jasmine. Some fruit.

It's a fruity floral, but it fades quickly.