Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Another amazing scent, so well balanced. To me, it smells too civilized and smooth to represent Cthulu, but/because it is lovely. It doesn't seem wet to me, more airy, sharp, and flowery, but not too sweet. I agree that it is gender neutral. Sadly, however, I'm allergic to one of the oils in it and can't stop sneezing. *sigh* I'd best go wash this off now. :P But if you don't have a million silly alleriges like me, you should try this one.

Cthulu

In the imp: cologney aquatics. Smells like the sea…reminds me of other BPAL oceanic scents. Maybe with a white floral?

Wet on skin: a very strong ozone-aquatic, slightly citrusy, slightly watery, very salty, a bit like men’s cologne.

Dry: seaweed? I swear I’m now getting just a little hint of seaweed, murky kelp waving under the ocean. I’m also getting a little bit of a white floral-not sure where that comes from, but I’m getting it here. It’s also all ozone and sea salt…very similar to City in the Sea, House of Mirrors and Sea of Glass, but maybe a tad darker-this one has something a bit gloomier to it.

After a while: this gets more and more masculine smelling on drydown-is this Cool Water that I smell here? I’m getting that strong dark salty ozone, and also something strong and powerful and what can only be described as smelling ‘dark blue-green’ and very deep. I’m pretty sure I also get grapefruit in this-there’s a bitter citrus note that seems very grapefruit like in this. After a few hours, I also get vetiver.

Verdict: this is another one of those aquatic marine scents, it really does have this salty ozone scent, very oceanic. Also reminiscent of men’s cologne-this one more so than the others. It also is quite dark and murky-I get hints of kelp and vetiver, and also some bitter grapefruit. It’s a nice scent but this one a bit too manly for me-I much prefer Sea of Glass as my oceanic scent.

at first: a masculine, watery scent.

on: this really reminds me of a conventional cologne for men.

half an hour later: very, very soapy and watery. i don't like this on me.

1.5 hours later: super soapy.

overall: i can't stand soapy scents, so this one isn't a keeper.

In the bottle: A traditional oceanic ozone, slightly salty and a bit lemony.

Wet: It disappears for an instant, before coming back with a chilling zing. There's a vegetal scent in here along with the ozone.

Drydown: This is a really subtle scent. The citrusy ozone and vegetal scent stay there, but they are very discreet. I get various whiffs when I smell it... sometimes sand and stone, sometimes salt, and something undefinably bitter in the background, perhaps vetiver, that reminds me of rotting driftwood.

Overall: It smells more of a classical masculine aftershave with an oceanic note than something truly dark and evil. It's rather pleasant and it really does evoke the ocean, but it's generally a bit of a weak scent that disappears too fast on me, leaving only a slightly bitter note drowned in ozone (which, admittedly, is a bit darker than the rest, but it takes a long while to get there). I prefer R'lyeh in the same category of scents, more feminine and much more grounded.

Got this in a trade.

It's very deep and masculine, with alot of notes I can't identify. Like everyone else I find this very reminiscent of aftershave. I need to try it on my husband when he gets home.

Not bad, but not terribly thrilling. This one was a simple aquatic on me, some ozone, that's about it. Rather masculine. I prefer Storm Moon, the lunar oils make ozone and aquatic more tasty for me.

3 out of 5.

Wow! Knock my socks off clean and aquatic.

Reminds me a bit of Alain Delon's Iquitos, which I loved on the ex but I need something in a fresh vein for the new boi.

Very masculine, yet crisp. Damn I need to trackdown a bottle somehow and roll the boi in it

:P

Why do I keep falling in love with LEs?

Origins: A decant from a long time ago, also gathering dust in my LE imp box.

In the vial: I think my boyfriend has a deodorant that smells like this. Powerfully aquatic, with a touch of ozone, but mostly reminiscent of marine sediment and waving seaweed.

Wet: Aftershave.

Drydown: Aftershave.

Verdict: Yick. Not my cup of tea at all. My chemistry works well with aquatics, usually, and while it's not doing anything ultra funky to this blend - its way way too masculine for my liking.

1/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

a lot like oceanus by the body shop, but darker and more masculine. this would be fabulous on a man just come out of the shower or even better, from the beach. if only my boyfriend didn't refuse point-blank to even try bpal...

still, the name alone is enough to have me hoarding it. if it weren't so hard to find, i'd make a spray of it so all my stuffed cthulhu toys could smell of it too :P

Cthulhu surprised me to no end. I generally don't care for aquatic scents, and this one just didn't sound very pretty to me. I mean, when was the last time "creeping" and "slithering" were used in the same sentence as "pretty"? But wonder of wonders, upon very first sniff the moment Cthulhu first touched my skin, I instantly fell in love. It's hard for me to describe the scent. It's definitely aquatic, but it's very different than the typical aquatic scent. It's an incredibly fragrant scent, and a tiny bit on a couple of pulse points, and I have a veil of lovely fragrance wafting around me for hours. It lasts longer on me than most BPALs, as well, at about 8 hours. While the throw decreases with the amount of time, at the 8 hour point, my skin still smells faintly warm, sweet and alluring. This scent actually reminds me less of an ocean scent and more of a crisp, clear, northern Minnesota lake in late-summer.

First sniff: Decidedly aquatic. I’m not getting a whole lot of darkness, though.

Wearing: Mr. Bloated Corpulence is surprisingly fresh and breezey. :P And, alas, not distinct enough from the several other aquatics I already love. I’ll send His Tentacular Ickiness off to torment some other soul.

In the vial: This is an aquatic scent, but it has something obviously dark in it too - I just can't place it.

On me: The scent is light and aquatic with a very sharp and tangy undertone. I usually think of most aquatics as summer scents, but this one is so cold that it definitely will work best in the wintertime.

Verdict: I love this! Glad I have a bottle.

Rating: 5/5

This is kind of fruity and sweet, with a sour edge. All the Springtime in Arkham scents I've tried so far have been misses. Cthulhu is pretty heavy on the soap. It smells like Irish Spring. I do happen to like that smell, but not for my perfume.

I can't really decide if I like or don't like Cthulu. In the bottle, it's like water florals. On me, it's a wet mossy soapy smell. Not really slithery at all. *shrugs*

Edited by RaeiNarcissus

I didn't like this when I first tried it, so I tucked it away, and came back to a few weeks later.

Now? We click.

It's a watery, zesty scent. Very pleasant, not sure if I would get a whole bottle, but an imp is definitely going to have to be on hand.

CTHULHU

In Bottle: Men’s soap

On Skin: This has a sharp men’s soapy feel. It doesn’t really fit the description… it seems a bit too clean. I would prefer a darker feel from this, because this scent is so clean it’s actually comforting and not dark or creepy to me. It is gorgeous though, to smell at least. I don’t wear ozone or aquatic scents because they just don’t feel like me… I prefer sweeter, foody, musky and exotic scents. But I like scents like this one on men. I wouldn’t mind smelling this on my husband. It has a great strong throw and a long wearlength. A must for anyone who enjoys aquatic, clean soapy scents.

well i definitely feel/smell like i am at a dark swamp, or something. it smells flowery...but i don't know what it is! maybe it's the ozone. LOTS of ozone. i don't really like that but...i dunno. o_O it's a 'soap' oil. but i just got an imp, really just to scent my cthulhu plushie, and it's not a bad scent so i guess it was a good deal!

can't do a bottle of it...i may ask my bro to see if he likes it when he comes home for christmas, however.

btw the plushie smells like soapy seaweed! :P

Ooh, I really like this! Clean, but with a gravitas that reads as masculine to me, a note I can't identify that I think is also in Ozymandias - this is a "dry" aquatic on me - clean yet stately, light yet intimidating.

I looooove you, Cthulu! I'm giving this imp to my brother, but will have to get some more just for myself.

In the bottle: slightly masculine, very aquatic

On skin: WTF? It's Yardley Freesia! One sniff of my wrist and I'm back in the house of the scary lady who used to live next door when I was a kid, and she used to SMOTHER herself in Yardley Freesia. Powdery and floral and ick ick ick.

WOE!

A slightly salty ozone scent with something moss-like. Definitely smells like an ocean rather than rain. There's a little bit of a sting to it, like a perfumey/cologney quality. It smells a lot more "clean" than I thought it would -- I think I'm picking up on the same thing some other reviewers are describing as a soap scent.

To my nose Cthulhu is decidedly masculine, but that may be because my husband has one of the Springtime in Arkham bottles and wears this scent from time to time. It smells better on him than it does on me, to be honest. On him it seems deeper and a little darker, less like that soapy clean scent.

Oh dear God...

I had been desperately looking forward to this, being a fan of both Cthulhu and aquatics. I thought nothing of the unusually dank ... scent which rose from the imp vial, when I opened it. Despite the fact that it magnified on touching my skin, I braved the first noxious fifteen minutes bravely --

And then I ran to the sink and scrubbed. Something in Cthulhu does not agree with me. Something in it smells like ruptured octopi, the moment it comes into contact with my skin. And while that's not entirely inappropriate, it's not something that I can wear out. Or at home. Or er, at all, really. Oh, how I hoped... !

It's dark ozone and aquatic in the imp.

I really like this ^.^

That being said, it's pretty much pure masculine soap on me. I'm sure it reminds me of someone that makes me happy, but I can't figure out who. I might wear this to curl up when I need a comfort scent, but I think it's too masculine to be an every-day scent on me.

Cthulhu works well for me. It's very aquatic obviously, a salty sea scent with a strong touch of ozone at the beginning. Later the deeper, darker green notes start to emerge. Lasts longer than other aquatics tend to on my skin. I like!