Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Cthulhu smells exactly like a masculine aftershave on me. It's nice, but not something I'd want to wear. I hope it is very happy in its new home.

This is based on memory, but I figured I'd chime in before I send Cthulhu on it's way to it's new home.

Initial Impression: very aquatic and ozone-y. Fresh clean scent.

Experience: Initially fresh and clean, then turning very soapy and a bit perfumey/floral. Not as sweet as Kingsport but there is a definate connection between the two scents. Kingsport works much better for me. Cthulhu was my first experience with an oil going soapy on me - I guess that I've been pretty lucky that way. Never got any overt or obvious seaweed :P .

Plus I had a terrible dream when I put it on right before bed - not sure if I've gotten beyond that. Cthulhu will be very happy in it's new home.

In the bottle

a watery floral

On

Why do I like this? It's very floral. I should not like this.

It's sort of along the lines of Sea of Glass or Empyreal Mist but more of a dark green, and a bit more perfumey too.

30 minutes

strongly aquatic and still floral, not sweet at all, it's as if all sweetness was sucked out.

Throw:

alot of throw on me

Scent category:

Aqua/floral

Summary

Great representation of Chuthlu. Very aquaeous, and floral and green. It's almost bitter in that kind of patchouli way..almost tangy.

Purchase again?

No. It's a good likeness to the Cthulu in my head from reading the book and stuff but, even though it's not his fault, it's just not my kinda scent.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

bummer. Well, I haven't tried many aquatic scents in general. This did fit the description perfectly. While wet and in the vial it is a dark, wet, murky yet clean, salty, and very masculine scent. It smells so much like a men's cologne to me. After about half an hour it faded a lot on my skin (a good thing) to more of a simply salt watery scent. Unfortunately not for me.

My roommate sniffer's review- *wrinkles nose in disapproval* "eiw, bad."

ok, to the swaps.

This is really lovely. It's aquatic florals, very fresh and clean and just a bit masculine. It seems to be the first BPAl scent I've tried that I would honestly call gender neutral.

I couldn't really pick out specific notes, but this didn't alter much between the imp and drydown for me. It stayed beautiful and fresh all day. Not a lot of throw, but nice staying power.

Honestly, I would love all my clothes to smell like this. It is just so pleasant and clean, and it felt so refreshing to just give my wrist a little sniff on a horribly hot day.

I really liked the idea of Cthulhu, for all of the obvios reasons...but I think that aquatics are a sort of like 'em or hate 'em kind of scent class...or more to the point - a like you or hate you kind of scent class, and I don't think I am on their good side.

I am definitely not on Cthulhu's good side.

Even in the imp, my decant smelled like a men's cologne...I'm not opposed to masculine scents, in fact I can kind of dig them, but watery scents just don't dig me and they end up smelling like a mixture of Brut, Polo and Drakar, which is kind of missing the point.

Phooey.

In the bottle: Smells a bit like I remember some commercial aquatic perfume/cologne smelling--Cool Water, maybe?--only less alcoholic. Yes, masculine, and a little soapy. I get the Lever 2000 comparison, and also maybe Irish Springs? Something like that. Very green, or maybe an aquamarine color (which would be more appropriate).

Wearing: Yeah. It gets soapier once it touches the skin. I smell salt water and maybe a bit of aquatic plants, but it's just a veil masking the true, soapy core. Or...something. Imagine a bar of soap with seaweed draped ominously around it, floating in the ocean. That's Cthulhu. It's not bad at all, but it's not super amazing either.

Later: It starts smelling a little more normal now. Murky, yes. Salty, definitely. Green, for sure. Clean, pretty much. This is what I expected it to smell like, and for heaven's sake, at least there's no grapefruit! The best way I can describe it is a considerably more masculine version of Bayou, which is my favorite aquatic scent.

Overall: I don't know what to make of this blend. I'm not entirely sure it's my cup of tea, but I still like it. I think. I'm not sure. I'll keep the bottle and try it a few more times before I decide if I want to swap it off or not.

I got to try a decant of this fragrance (Thanks Darkling!)

In the imp, I get a wet salty smell similar to what I smell in Penthus, but instead of delicate tears, or ocean breeze, it's a deep dark water smell. On the second sniff from the bottle, I get more of a men's cologne smell. Someone might have already mentioned it, but I definitely get the Cool Water connection.

On the skin, I still get the salty oceanic smell, but there's the masculine, soap tinged smell too. After a second, I get a waft of somethig almost citrusy coming off my skin. I really like the way this smells. When I press my nose close to the spot where I dabbled it, I still smell the citrusy note, but underneath is something smooth, and what I might describe as spicy. It doesn't smell like spices, but it tingles my nose in the same way. It's not strong soap like I first thought it would be.

I'm really wishing my man wore scent, because I think this would be delicious on a guy. It's what Cool Water wants to be when it grows up. The masculine water scent is there, but it's also got deep undercurrents that keep you sniffing.

I'm going to let it sit a bit longer, and then decide what I want to do with it. I like it, but I don't know if it's me.

Slightly aquatic, very "commerical cologne" smelling, and very, very masculine...surprisingly, this doesn't smell very deep and dark--I had been expecting something akin to Undertow. I can imagine a jock wearing this! :P

This smells very harsh in the bottle at first. It initially reminds me of men’s aftershave. Definitely smells like the ocean and has a salty tang. Very green, oceanic, and masculine. Saying that this blend is strong is a complete understatement; my nostrils hurt after one whiff.

This goes soapy on me once it dries. Actually reminds me of how my aunt’s bathroom smells. Evil soapy smell. It fades almost instantly after it turns to soap. I can only smell it when I sniff close up to my skin.

On my fiancé it smells fantastic; I can almost envision dark murky water unpunctuated by the sun’s rays, while Cthulhu squeezes his “gelatinous green immensity through the black doorway” where he once slept. Very nice!

I’m glad I had the chance to try this, but it is for the Boy so off it goes to his oil box.

A deeply aquatic, cologney type scent. It actually reminds me a bit of Cool Water or something like that. It's soft, sexy, clean, and gentle. I'm not sure if I would wear this, but I think it would be really sexy on a guy.

I had been especially looking forward to this one. I wasn't dissapointed!

A wonderful true dark aquatic with none of the headachey thing I get with some of the aquatics that have too much ozone. What I found odd with this one was, hours later, it smells strangely like Cathedral- cold wet stone and wet underground caves. It has a lurky sort of power to it that I liked a lot.

I love most of the SiA scents I've tried, but this one is especially special! :P

This scent has that same marine tang I enjoyed so much in Storm Moon. It's salty and deep. It seems to come and go on my wrist, in between the scent of kelp and green weeds. This is so beautiful I could kick myself for only getting one bottle.

My Impression: True to its description, there is not much this reviewer can add except that it is a really clean, crisp masculine smell, and I would love to smell this on a man. :P

Why I tried it: Dude, it's Cthulhu. As long as there wasn't rose in it, I had to try it.

In the bottle and wet: Another green aquatic.

Drying down: it's a little like Belladonna or The Apothecary without whatever it was in those that made them smell like bandaids. I'm also getting a slight salty note like the one in Jolly Roger but it's nowhere near as intense.

Dry: It kind of smells like that bath stuff that came in the green plastic bottle that Mom used to use. I'm pretty sure it was Badades. (later) Yup. It's Badades. I can't pick out any individual notes, but it's a nice fresh slightly sweet green scent -- the saltiness died down. Which is fine, except I don't think I want to smell like my mom as much as I love her. Into the swap tin it goes.

As soon as I smelt Cthulhu, I thought 'bath!'; it smells very cool and soothing. It probably does smell like a bubble bath I've used in the past - possibly Badedas or Radox.

I love the smell of seaweed. Cthulhu does rather smell like the underneath parts of a boat or ship, where the water has had a chance to get a little dank and mossy.

Or like a beach where all the seaweed and algae has washed up, but this is better because there's no fishiness. :P

It's gorgeously tranquil and although I'm not going to wear it, I'll definately love using it in my bath.

Out of the bottle this one smells just like alundry detergant or fabric softener. It's really fresh/clean smelling.

This is another one I wasn't sure I was going to like but decided to give it a whirl anyway.

On my skin it still smells like laundry detergant or mens aftershave.

I decided to test this one on my boyfriend.

He doesn't like it too much either. This first reaction was "This smells like soap".

It's definilty more of a mens cologne, unfortuantly, my boyfriend doesn't smell good in aquatic type scents.

This one will have to find a better home :/

In the bottle: Irish Spring soap. I wasn't sure if I'd like this one, and while I don't like smelling of soap all day, for some reason I'm intrigued by it.

First on: I felt a tingle on my arm as if there's mint in it, yet I can't for the life of me smell any mint. It still smells of Irish Spring. A little mossly, very green, and slightly salty.

Drydown: The soapy overtone has calmed down a bit, but it's still a very clean, just out of the shower smell. It's got a bit of a darker undertone, but I have to search for it. I like it, but I don't think I'd wear it.

In the vial: This smells frighteningly like the Axe deordorant my ex-boyfriend wore, and it's also reminiscent of the Calvin Klein scents that boys used to wear when I was a young teenager. A sharp, bright, tingly, sparkling, masculine scent. It is sensual, but only because this evokes memories of various experiences with the opposite sex at various points of my life. I'm terrible at picking out notes unless they're listed for me, so I won't even try!

Wet: The overwhelming strength of the scent tones down greatly on my skin, to the point where I have to really breathe deeply in order to smell it. It is quickly turning soapy, but I think that could be the aquatic notes coming out to play. It is still quite sharp and all masculine.

Dry: The sharpness has faded somewhat, although I wonder if it's just that I've gotten used to it, after breathing Cthulhu in for several minutes now. In any case, this is staying pretty much the same bright, aquatic, soapy, masculine scent that it was from the very beginning. The throw of it is quite different, though... strangely like another cologne other men in my past wore! I think that could be the result of Cthulhu mixing in the air with the other oils I'm wearing right now.

An hour later: Pretty much the same, although slightly musky in a bodily way.

Overall: This is obviously not something I would wear, since it's entirely masculine, and I don't think I'd like it on a man, either. This isn't my type of scent.

This is very watery. It is very damp and slimy. There is a sharp green note that I'm not a big fan of. However, it is a dark green, not bright green I'm used to in other blends. I don't really like it, not me at all.

Courtesy of the random LE swap circle.

I totally expected this one to be dark in the vial, for some reason.

On: Fresh, clean aquatic? That's not what I expected from Cthulhu.

Now the green's coming out, making it more masculine and sharp. Then it goes darker, becoming even more masculine, and a little threatening at that. That's the Cthulhu I'm familiar with. Murky yet clear. All the wonderful paradoxes inherent in an elder god. Bang on, Beth. I'm sorry I doubted this one at first.

I say, "WTF? This is dark? Do you sleep with a nightlight on?" This is light, in my opinion, with a salty note that's very brisk and welcome.

It's very clean-smelling and beachy, so the oceanic plants are on target, but I don't get dark unfathomable waters. I get a sunny fall day at the beach. Also, it's soapy. I like soapy but it doesn't really connote creeping and slithering to me! What kind of soap does Beth use?! :P

I like this blend as a brisk scent to put on when it's too warm or blah, and it also layers nicely, adding a sea breeze to other blends like Glasgow and The Hermit.

I love this. Aquatics are normally terrible on me, but I've finally found one I like. I'll be wearing this regularly. I didn't find it overly masculine at all, it isn't feminine, neutral is probably accurate for this one.

In the bottle there's a sharp smell, which stays for the first ten minutes or so once you put it on. But then it mellows and gets smooth, someone described it as 'silky' above, and that's the best word I can think of for it. It reminds me of like deep, cold water. There's a hint of green in it, which makes it a touch more complex, but not overly so. I get no florals at all, for which I am thankful.

In general I'm just amazed, this one really loves me. I'm tempted to start hoarding bottles of the stuff.

Edited by Pixelpixie

This is green and aquatic in a completely different way than Dunwich, though I'm having a hard time thinking of different adjectives. This is a little more masculine, I think, and more like an ocean than a lake. There's a sweet note, but it's not floral, it's simply verdant.

Over time, this becomes less green and more ocean--like a cool rain over the ocean, even. I like it, but it's not something I would wear.